• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i feel a bad moon rising - anyone
    I jolt to wakefulness, rolling to a stand and shaking the debris from my feet as the last remnants of my dream leave me. They had been startling but not unpleasant (a rarity these days), but the imagined warmth of the steaming hot springs leaves me even more quickly than the images.

Though winter has released its grip on Beqanna, a chill still lingers here in the more northern lands, and I pull my wings more tightly to my sides as I make my way out of the copse in which I had spent the night. It is backed on two sides by a boulder twice my height, and it had become mine during my previous residence in Sylva. I was pleased to see it not taken by another when I returned, though at times it feels silly to be so attached to a physical location.

The boulder is also an excellent place to fly from, which is obvious as I clamor to the top, spread my wings, and soar away. It takes many strong wing beats to clear the red canopy, but I am no stranger to strenuous activity. My perlino hide covers a body that is lean with muscle, and I am barely winded even when I land at the edge of Nerine - many miles from my starting point.

I am careful to stay at the border, my navy hooves in the no man's land between the realms. Before we had come from the River, so this view of the seaside kingdom is a new one for me. My blue grey eyes take in the vista, marveling at the way the granite cliffs fall straight into an equally steely sea.

There is a hardness in the set of my shoulders despite my interest in the scenery, one that seems fitting with the thin line of my navy mouth and the plethora of scars across my hide. I do not wear the most pleasant of expressions, but at the sound of someone approaching that melts away into what can only be a genuine, good-natured smile of greeting.
    Ardashir
    Had set himself to wandering as the spring started to peel back the skin of winter. The pale stallion was not intending to patrol the border but, that seemed to have just snuck up on him. Ardashir moved at a leisurely pace not galloping but also not at a trot. He was just on a stroll after all. The scents of the new flowers made the stallion lower his head a couple times to sniff and maybe a little of a flehmen lip curl. The stallion’s ears perked forward suddenly a couple hundred yards down from his last sniff.

Ardashir took in the scent of a stranger and his nostrils flared just that little bit more. The wind was not on his side today but something had tickled the drafts nose. His white form did not pick up his pace however; he took his time moving to where this new interaction opportunity would take place. It was not like they would wander off if they had a reason to be here plus he did not want to run up all aggressive and huffing. Ardashir was not a diplomat but, even he knew to look welcoming when greeting someone.

This newcomer to Nerine was a winged mare with very interesting colors. Ardashir offered a nicker to the mare as he come a step or two closer before stopping. The stag gave the perlino dun mare personal space as he then opened his maw offering his silvery voice, Welcome to Nerine. I am Ardashir He bowed that large draft head of his a moment before raising it again, What brings you to our borders today?”He asked before a large exhaling breath blew through his nostrils. “ Forgive me I think a bit of pollen got stuck.” He coughed and snorted before straightening again.  

The blue in an ocean of gray..
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    The stallion that appears ahead of me is massive, and for a long moment I simply stare. I don't think I've ever met anyone quite so tall as he is, or as broad, and for a moment I feel uncomfortably weak. I drown that sensation almost instantly and replace it with pride. That raises my head just a bit, enough so that when he dips his head in greeting I remain motionless, acknowledging him as a queen would.

Old habits die hard, and it seems that mine never did.

The air of propriety fades in an instant, when the pale stallion sneezes and I grin freely. "I'd heard spring comes later to Nerine than the rest of Beqanna, but I see now that isn't true." My tone is light, and I wait until Ardashir has gathered himself together to answer the rest of his questions.

"I came to take advantage of the friendship between our kingdoms and see what Nerine is like," I tell him. That is the truth - at least part of it - but my intentions are harmless at heart. I know that Nerine is freindly with most of Beqanna's lands, but I am not certain how familiar Ardashir might be with that, or with the realm that I hail from. PErhaps it's best to introduce myself more fully.

"I'm Lepis." I tell him, "Cleric of Loess" - there is the faintest of pauses here, a wait to see his reaction that title before adding my other - "and Queen of Sylva."
    Ardashir
    The white stag would lean his head to the side some as the navy pointed mare remained motionless as he greeted her with a bow of his head. Oh, well different folks greeted each other in many ways. A grin passed her lips though after his sneeze so, that air of tension fell away for the moment. “It might come a little later to Nerine than to the other lands that lay to the south. But, when it does it like to sneak in.

He would listen to the mare as she explained what is was that brought her to Nerine. His ears flicked to attention at the mention of name and then a couple ranks. The last of which made him think back to her motionless stance before. Makes a little sense he guessed. The white stallion rolled his shoulders a couple times, “ So, Lepis Queen of Sylva. You want a tour of Nerine and what interesting sights it may offer up to you.” He shifted on his back legs, “I am Ardashir Najahak or champion of Nerine. And, seeing as I am the only one here at the moment offer to show you what ever you may like.

He did not bow his head again before her. His respect had been shown. The pale stag stood relaxed but allowing his own air of importance take to the air. “Or, if you like we can wait to see if one of our diplomats would be willing to show you around.” Nerine was a relaxed kingdom and, welcoming to those who wanted to look around. So, now the two were left standing in the spring air.    

@[Lepis]
    You’ve mistaken the stars reflected on the surface of the lake at night for the heavens.
    I had heard the name of Nerine's champion in the past, but it had been so long ago that the word had all but faded. It is not until I am going over what I know of the pale stallion in front of me (a compulsive habit that has served me well) that his introduction and the almost-forgotten name converge. So this is the Champion of Nerine, comes the realization, only seconds before Ardashir introduces himself as such.

Having recently met the Champion of my own kingdom, my interest is piqued. I look more closely at the tall stallion, noting the scars across his legs and belly. They are the opposite of my own, and I wonder briefly what might have caused them, and when. I assume battle, but as I have been in few skirmishes I lack the experience to make any guess as to their origin.

"I'm sure you're as familiar with the kingdom as any of your diplomats," I respond with a faint smile, "And I'm especially curious what a native thinks is the most interesting part of Nerine."
    A nod passed his head, “ I am familiar with what Nerine offers to those who seek.” He wiggled his ears a few times thinking about the last part. “ Well, that depends on who you talk with. There are some that enjoy playing in the surf letting it tug at them gently and maybe getting to see a few playful dolphins in the waves. There are those that also like to take in the sights of the caves that have been carved into the pale cliffs. What secrets might be written on the stone, or what might be lurking in those dark caverns wondrous or perilous.

He had no real knowledge of the mare standing before him. He might had heard her name in passing and a few things here and there but, not enough to form his own opinion of the winged perlino dun with her navy points. The stag knew though that with her titles she was to be respected. He continued a moment more, “ Or, there are some mountains to the south of Nerine with their forests that may wrap around you and possibly never let go.” He looked to Lepis with his blue eyes, “ Shall we maybe start at the beach? And then work from there then?” He asked the Cleric, and of course the Queen.

@[Lepis]

Short and way overdue sorry.
    I pull a stray white hair from between my pale feathers as Ardashir articulates; it is either mine or Wolfbane's. I can't tell them apart usually, and today is no exception. The reminder of the striped stallion brings a smile to my face independent of the lovely description of the northern kingdom that the white stallion paints.

I have seen little of the world of Beqanna, and even less of the world beyond.

Still, I recognize the scarred horse's description of Hyaline, and at that my smile fades ever so slightly. Probably not enough for Aradashir to notice; I am skilled at this after all. There had certainly been times I felt that they would never let me go, but this is not the right time to be thinking of such things. Instead I nod ascent to his suggestion that we start at the beach.

I have only ever seen a bit of Ischia, a tiny southern tip of the islands. The idea of cliffs that meet the ocean sound beautiful and I am eager to see them.

"How long have you lived in Nerine?" I ask as I wait for him to lead the way to the beach. I can guess in the general direction of the sea, but I am unfamiliar with the land and the quickest trails. A long time, is the answer I expect from him. He is the Champion, after all, yet he is not exceptionally old.

I wonder if he was not born here, or at the very least brought as a young child. Being raised among the warrior women has a way of marking a horse, and I glance out of the corner of my blue grey eyes at the tall stallion, wondering if he bears those marks.

ooc: so i am terrible and forgot about this thread i am SO sorry please forgive
    @[Ardashir]
    Ardashir
    He described what he had seen in his own travels, and a couple items from what others had told him. The pale stallion was very much a homebody. He never strayed too far or for too long. He had his duties that always called him back. And, now a certain winged mare. The beach was usually a good place to start. The ocean was a temptation that others had come to Nerine for.

He swung his head around and his body followed leading the way down one of the paths that lead to the lower beaches. His left ear swinging to listen to Lepis as she asked him how long he had lived in Nerine. “ For as long as I can remember I have lived here. I tend to stalk the shadows now and then though.” He offered a kind smile to the mare, “ I was brought here by my adoptive mother.” He might have lost that smile for a moment but tried to hide it as best he could.

The large white stag had only the pale pink scars covering his legs and stomach for markings. He had no tattoo or marks that made it clear that he belonged to the warrior women of the past. “ How about you Lady Lepis? How long have you called Sylva your home.” He asked and made sure to clear some brush from their path down to the beach. The roaring of the ocean already starting to take up its place in the soundscape.  

@[Lepis] It is ok if you want to close it here. We can say he just showed her around to all the fancy places.
    that works for me! she might be back soon-ish anyway, i think.
    let's pretend she thanked him for the tour at the end and flew home Smile