• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

The beginning of a life, and the ending of another - Birthing, any

Leilan
    a dragon who couldn't be hurt on the outside
    could have so many ragged holes inside
    Upon arrival, there is a grulla and painted filly, stepping in the way as if he's a threat. He glances her way cynically - you really think your own queen would just bring any guy over here, to, what exactly, hurt them? Clearly she doesn't know Breckin well, then - and looks past and through her when he just stares at Roseen and the baby. Because that's his baby, like it or not, and he can't be bothered by something so mundane as a three-year-old thinking she needs to protect them. Pfft. Like she even could. With Roseen still physically weakened and the younger mare just being an annoyance, Breckin is the only one present to stop him; but he doesn't advance or make a threatening move, and finally the young woman moves out of sight so he can talk to Roseen.

Except that she doesn't want to look at him.
    And only answers his question in a short sentence.

On top of that, Breckin is also behaving strangely; retreated, slightly stern, not unlike when he'd shown her his memories, his mistakes - for thinking he could pretend to be whole, for thinking he could move on without the spotted mare and exchange her for Roseen - he recognizes the tone and look in her eyes. Hurt. And trying to make sense of it. Gods, how did they all end up in this very spot...

But the young colt whines, not understanding, and all the rest is forgotten. His eyes latch on to the baby, oh, he's such a handsome boy, the silvery white of his mane a stark contrast against the sooty bay colour of his coat. And Breckin speaks, and for once he hardly listens to the numerous words that leave her pretty mouth to explain why she brought him here... but she spurs him into action at last. Because what she says reaches his very core. She wants to let them make a well-informed decision.

Just like he'd done for her, before.

And his decisions have already been made. He's here to stay, and not planning on running away from a baby boy, especially when this one probably needs him more than the others do. And yes, there's two more, that he knows, and he loves the both of them, so why would it be different with this one? Who could possibly imagine him not loving the few good things he's ever created in his life?

His legs carry him forward, without thinking too much, one step towards Breckin to briefly touch her neck should she allow it, there is a silent sorry for bringing this upon her as he looks into her eyes briefly, deep blue neighing towards purple; she doesn't have to stay if she doesn't want to.

Then further forward towards Roseen and the young colt. Warm greyish blue. "Thorgal," he repeats, tasting the name as well as letting it settle within him that that's the name of his son. "That's a good name." He says, looking to Roseen, calculating as if he wants to say something but then, changes his mind because it can wait, it should wait, he's not about to fight her in front of everyone and most certainly not in front of the baby boy.

And so, before anyone can stop him, or tries to drag him away (because he fears that they might if he's not quick enough), he moves forward with that last step, to softly rearrange the short and sticky mane on the young boy's head, talking to him in a low and warm tone, soothing, while he murmurs into his mane. If it's not the tone, then the brown colouring in his eyes is what should betray his feelings, but he doesn't care if anyone notices. "You've nothing to fear, Thorgal. Mommy loves you. Daddy loves you, too. We'll make it work, and we'll be here for you, one way or another. And you're gonna grow up and be strong and be way better than your father, because honestly he's just making a mess of things. Okay? Now stand," he moves his head towards the colt's legs to help unfold them, and nudges his side and back to get him to move,  making one last statement in a more determined voice, hoping that it helps to get him to stand. "Life is difficult enough without going about it crawling, and you're not getting any food at this rate."

His eyes finally find the bay mother then, assuming the baby is now finally going to move. His eyes no longer brown, but again switching in a myriad of blues and greys as the pity he feels for her comes out in a stubborn determination to not let Roseen and Thorgal slip away from him. "I'd hoped you'd be my friend, because I realized I can't give you anything else. I see now that you don't want that either. You were never going to tell me." A sigh. "But he needs you, Roseen. He needs you to be stronger than this. And you know what? He needs his father too. So I'm staying. I don't care if you'll hate me for it - you can hate me twice over, but don't you ever let that reflect on him. He doesn't deserve that, and you know it."

He spares a look at the colt behind them, and steps sideways then. Whatever is best for the boy. And right now, the best is his mother, and some food in his belly, and then sleep. But in this mess, he'll probably need his father around too to make sense of things, and most of all to not make the mistakes he made. Like not telling Roseen earlier that without Breckin he's an empty shell. And that sleeping with her could not fill that hole no matter how he had tried to feel something for her. Just the fact that he'd needed to try it out should have been an indication that it wouldn't work - but he'd been stupid enough to push forward in all his stubbornness.

If only he'd used that stubbornness to talk to Breckin, before any of the children happened, nobody would have been hurt. He can only hope that Thorgal will be less stupid than himself.

HTML by Vanilla Custard, picture by x-celebri-x on deviantart

@[Roseen] @[Nalia] @[Breckin]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Messages In This Thread
    RE: The beginning of a life, and the ending of another - Birthing, any - by Leilan - 09-28-2018, 06:15 AM