• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

that moon has a name in the fires of a silver corpse; any
    I have met a lifetime's worth of wolves in too short a time, but this is the first one that introduces himself as such. Curious, I tilt my head, unable to keep from wondering if he'd been given that name as a child or chosen the moniker for himself. Neither would surprise me, I decide, but regardless of the origin it is certainly fitting.

He calls me Lepis, and uncertainty begins to pool just behind my heart. I hadn't introduced myself, but he knows me. It is possible I have gained enough renown to be recognized by strangers (my scars are distinctive) but something about the mulberry creature's hollow eyes suggest otherwise. I take hold of the uncertainty and crush it to nothing, overwhelmed by a flood of confidence. It lasts only a heartbeat, and then I am blinking long-lashed and wary eyes the stallion who wants to know more about Loess.

There are few who know the place better than I. For a moment I am nostalgic, and then he is smiling and calling me Queen and the memories are gone as quick as they'd arrived.

"Queen of Sylva," I reply. "Though I have lived in Loess since I was a child, and only recently left." To follow my husband, I do not add, because I have grown weary of mentioning him every time I say that I am queen. I am important enough to be queen on my own merit - so says that bit of pride that festers up whenever I lose control.

I rarely lose control.

"I'll have to thank Scorch," Are the polite words that follow, tone and demeanor befitting a diplomat but not quite matching the glittering hardness in my eyes. "As for what I can tell you of Loess, that depends on what you'd like to know about it. The kingdom's ranks? Or the land itself?" Or something else entirely, I suspect. Something nefarious, as they all have planned eventually.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: that moon has a name in the fires of a silver corpse; any - by Lepis - 09-25-2018, 08:19 PM