• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

So the winds called me home (any)

There was a crystal-like gloss over the field. A soppy dew that covered the each and every blade of grass and budding leaf as spring set in for summer turnover.  Her eyes hardened over the distant view of social butterflies and false pitches, her ears already ringing with annoyance and distaste. Is it possible to long for comfort, and yet yearn for solitude?

Can she be loved by all without having to say one word? Unfortunately, not likely.

Go, go be social.

But I can’t. I do not want to.

Do not be a coward. We need them. We need them.

She feels torn between red and white, her stomach beginning to stir into knots, the deep pit of her stomach churning over the smallest thought of light conversation. After years and years of utter silence—legitimate silence—the mere image of casual banter is enough to stop her heart.

Social anxiety, some call it. Or as It calls it, a coward.

It. The pestering company she has had since two. The voice that pushes until she takes, that yells until she listens, that argues until she gives. It. The reason she has found herself beyond the treeline of shadows and broken branches, why she stands amongst dewy blades and the faint view of strangers.

A deep exhale escapes her as she ponders the reality of moving. This was it, there was no going back now. It was time, it was now. They had talked about it for years. It had begged her and taunted her for years that this was the thing to do. And for some reason on this morning where fog was beginning to set in to the east, she realized was the morning.

And yet her feet couldn’t move, like a pole sunk into cement she felt trapped. Stuck.
    Brine
    the more people you love, the weaker you are
    Nalia was definitely a social butterfly, even to those giving off the wrong attitude. She didn't make assumptions, or judge, until she had the chance to see something for herself. But, arriving at the Field that day, if there was one thing making her stomach do flips, it was this: she worried that she wouldn't be able to talk up the kingdoms enough to convince the stranger she was about to meet to return with her.

So, to try and push the negative thoughts out of her head, the filly busied herself with a flight, soaring over the Field and looking down at all the horses below. From this distance up, the wind filling her nostrils, she couldn't really determine which horses were natives to Beqanna, even to the Field, and which ones weren't. She'd have to get closer to figure such a thing out, but was she really ready to put her diplomatic skills to the test?

She'd only been in training a few moons after all; was she going to do her kingdom proud and make her first recruit?

There was only one way to find out.

After taking some time to steel herself, the filly tilted her body and started flying back toward the ground. When she got close, she evened out her weight and straightened her wings, landing with a soft 'thud' on the hard ground, her legs cantering a few strides to help her slow down and adjust. Shaking her head and neck after a good flight, the filly took in a deep breath as she looked out from the cover of the brush near where she landed.

No time like the present to find out what kind of a diplomat she'd be, huh? Standing up to walk tall, the filly strode out to the Field, smiling at seeing a couple of the mares now had rambunctious foals by their side. A few of the, running around and playing, chased each other a small distance from the group of mares Nalia presumed they came from, two of them even heading in Nalia's direction. The filly watched curiously to see what they were doing; one was chasing the other, the one being chased goading the foal on by calling to it. The foal chasing it's friend let out a happy whinny before trying to pick up speed, only to trip and fall over in the attempt.

Worried, Nalia took a few steps closer and whiskered to the foal, encouraging it to get back up. After a moment of dizziness passed, the foal managed to get on it's hooves, whinnying happily to Nalia before racing back to it's friend and dam in the group to reassure her it was okay.

Nalia watched this display with gentle eyes, fondly remembering the own bond between herself and her dam. Feeling that familiar ache in her heart, the filly pressed on to avoid any more memories, knowing if she allowed them to consume her she'd want to leave the Field and try again later. But she was nervous enough as it is, so she couldn't afford to turn around and come back later.

After some time of searching among the horses for a newcomer, Nalia was down on her luck, thinking that perhaps they'd migrated to the Forest or the Meadow after being here for a while. Then, something caught her attention; an unfamiliar smell, foreign to these lands. Turning her head, in the near distance, she spotted the outline of a horse, one with somewhat dark coloring on its legs and lighter shades on its body.

Maybe this was the break she needed? Walking confidently over to the new horse, Nalia started picking up on its body language when she was within eyesight. So, to try and help the newcomer relax, Nalia lowered her head so her neck was aligned with her spine, her eyes calm and her smile gentle. She tucked her wings in and spoke with a calm, sweet voice as she addressed the filly, now able to tell such a detail from being closer.

"Hello there," Nalia greeted. "My name is Nalia; welcome to Beqanna. Are you new here?"

@[Brine]
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

Since my return to Hyaline at the beginning of Spring, I've not again left - too preoccupied making love to my wife and reassuring her and indeed, receiving reassurance, too.  We'd both done things we'd regretted in the wake of our fight, her finding comfort in the father of her other children, and I allowing two stallions too close to my physical self. Our relationship, upon my return, required time to heal and strengthen bonds that threatened to break. Even though I had succeeded in gaining her immortality for the small price of a scar across my face, not everything went back to being okay.

But we worked on it - and we continue to - and for all the work we've put in, I finally feel up to returning to the rest of Beqanna.

Summer has nearly come since last I left mind kingdom, but the dew of spring still wettens my legs up to my thighs as I traverse across the continent with a certain place in mind. I could have dreamt myself there but it seemed somehow important that I reevaluate the land which bears me and my family, and so I do: raising my head to gaze upon the neighbouring nations, nostrils flaring to take in the scents of other creatures who call Beqanna home.

When I get to the field, I notice her right off the bat, eyeing the way her muscles strain without ever moving and the way her eyes seem to be staring off into space. I'm no mind reader, but it's as if I can almost hear that fractured voice telling her what to do as she resists doing it. And though I relate to that to some degree, it puzzles me too - how someone's counter voice could be telling them to do the right thing, instead of the wrong one.

(What, killing yourself is wrong now?)
    Shut the fuck up.
    (You're ugly enough that people wouldn't even be sad at this point.)
    I regret even thinking about you.
    (Don't blame me for your own stupidity.)

Sighing, I shake my head; perhaps my son Rhaegor would have been a better recruit for the mare before me, in her veil of silence and her minute trembling; but it just so happens that I am here now, and not him.

A pegasus approaches before me, smelling of Nerine. I follow closely behind, hearing her introduction and giving her a cordial smile before turning to address the one whom we're clearly interested in.

"And my name is Kagerus - I am the leader of Beqanna's sanctuary kingdom." I wouldn't normally open with this statement - but considering the mare before me, I think it might be valid information.

[Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Her eyes swiveled as the sound of footsteps broke her focus. It was the confident, outgoing energy that raised her suspicion first. The scent of a female instantly bringing a defensive energy, her head turning slightly to see the grulla coloured female. Brine could see it, the bubbly personality of this female radiating off her skin and warming the air around her like flame. Brine hated her for it.

If only you were that mesmerizing.

I know… I know.

Her voice cuts into the air softly, her pleasantry scrapping her eardrums like nails across a chalk board. It takes a moment for Brine to be able to choke out the softest, “hello”, in response.

You idiot. How do you expect to be someone when you’re this horrible to be around.

Oh, I… I am sorry.

“Thank you,” she musters out in a failed attempt to appear more warm—more like a flame—though Brine is an open book, no cover no secrets. Her expressions always a window into her exact frame of mind. “I am Brine.”

Another feminine scent wafts into the air, and Brine feels herself drowning amongst the crowd. The air feels polluted and tight. Men, men could be manipulated. She knew how to speak to men. Women? Her throat felt tight at the very thought.

The second mare who approaches appears more mature, more regal. There is something about her that feels broken, or hindered. Brine feels herself less tense with the company of another broken soul. The wounded were desperate and hurt, easily related to. They could be lured.

“Hello,” her voice isn’t as curt with Kagerus, though there is still a small trace of skepticism.

Better, little one. Much better.

Thank you.

Brine
    Nalia thought the mare seemed friendly enough at first, until she noticed the defensive air she was giving off. Perhaps she'd already taken it a step too far, trying to be so friendly to a horse who, for all she knew, was experiencing a problem. She really did need to work on her greetings, her way of looking at things. Problem was she never had anyone to talk that down to her, so she never saw a problem in the overzealous, enthusiastic way she spoke or greeted newcomers.

At least the mare was feeling friendly enough to greet Nalia in return, even if her words were very quiet and not the nicest sounding. The mare introduced herself by the name of Brine, a nice sounding name, so Nalia would've said had another not approached.

The newcomer was also a mare, a paint, with a scar from her ear to her nostrils. Hiding a wince, the filly didn't say anything as the paint introduced herself as Kagerus, apparently, the leader of Hyaline. Nalia had heard of the sanctuary kingdom, playing home to more of the misfits and lost who didn't have anywhere else to belong. Nalia would've thought the kingdom a home at some point, for her, had she not come to realize that a lot of horses in Beqanna had unique talents and gifts. The added benefit of having friends in Nerine made it seem a lot more warm and welcoming, so she hadn't given Hyaline a second thought.

Brine greeted Kagerus with an easier hello, something Nalia did notice. Nalia decided she wanted another chance to say something, before the paint mare shut her down.

"So what are you doing out here in the Field Brine? Are you looking for somewhere to live? I've come from Nerine, and it's a wonderful place I could tell you about, if you're interested."

@[Brine] @[Kagerus]
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

I am Brine. The shy mare's words befall my ears - though they weren't meant to - just as I join her and the other, whose energy outshines both of ours in its exuberance and dedication. When Brine offers me a hello, I dip my head in response, antlers gleaming as the light hits it differently with the shift of angles. As I raise my head, I allow my gaze to go to Nalia as well, giving her an encouraging smile. Even if our guest is cool and curt, it doesn't mean that her effort should go unnoticed.

As such, I listen calmly as she presents her kingdom to be Nerine, though she asks about Brine's intentions first, a question which I am also interested in. My mind wanders a little as the other speaks, going to my recent visit to Nerine where I'd met the once-queen Sabra, someone I expect I shall remain fast friends with from here on out. When it seems like the pretty grulla has finished with what she has to say, I quirk my lips in a brief flash of a smile before focusing my attention on the roan.

"There's lots of other kingdoms in Beqanna too, and we all function on a caste system, wherein members can gain titles for working in diplomacy or war. But in Hyaline no one is expected to partake unless they'd like to; we have a relative flock of refugees, either from other kingdoms or just those who prefer to find solace in the mountainlands."

My eyes go to Nalia. "We don't have a moral code quite as strongly instated as Nerine's, or at least, they are of completely different natures - and all of the kingdoms have their own of course." And back to Brine, with a smile, hoping I've not spoken so much to have lost her interest. "But ultimately, it's up to you to decide where you might like home to be."

[Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Her heart feels heavy as she becomes suddenly aware of how out of her comfort zone she is. Like someone coming to her chest and pushing firmly, just enough for her to fill a twinge of pain after a minute. A building pressure. She tries to exhale, her stomach churning.

It is clear the tension is growing off the grulla mare, her sentence suddenly more forced than her last. Brine takes a second to inhale the energy, grasping her mind before replying rather hushed, “I am. I do not know where yet.”

Who will you pick?

I do not know.

It isn’t until the other female speaks that she realizes her mind was made long before the mare had spoken. “Kagerous, can you show me?”

And with that, she followed.

Brine

OOC: Sorry, my muse was slowly dying. I figured ending and starting the next thread might be best! I would love to do a thread between Nalia and Brine soon, especially after this Smile <3 Thanks!