• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Sweetheart turned Sour tart || Any/Open ||

Adria

I felt nothing at all, freedom of the fall

Hyaline was exactly like Tähti had promised it would be: a perfect sanctuary. The two females had traveled easily enough along the winding river, upstream until the rapids between the kingdom’s many mountains broke wide open into the most beautiful lake Adria could ever have imagined. Swimming in its crystal waters (which held more depth than the others might ever comprehend) was like a retreat of sorts, confined as a fishbowl might be but altogether ideal for only one creature like herself.

Spring melded into Summer and the maturing nereid felt an urge to seek out the other dwellers. Traveling meant immersion, right? In leaving her only home the water-horse had made a strict vow to engage in the full experience Beqanna had to offer, which meant learning from the citizens just as much as learning from the lands they proudly claimed. 

A balmy northern afternoon found her surfacing after not having tasted air in days, sending wide ribbons of blue ripples towards one smooth edge of shoreline as Adria glided from liquid to land. She could see the wysteria in bloom as her gray hooves guided her, not paying much attention to when or where she slipped off the banks and into the more deeply wooded areas. 

Her mane was growing lighter, halfway dry and her scales already disappeared when a clearing exposed itself to her: a verdant-colored archway that led the splashed buckskin from the base of one mountain forest and out into a gloriously sunny valley where it connected with another towering crag. “Incredible!” She gasped, eyes widening. Like the sea she loved so much, waves of soft wind rippled the grass as she floated among it, glances of light peeking out from behind peaks of white giving the young mare a molten gold sheen.

The adventurer had gone in search of company, only she’d found a secret place instead.

ooc: She's up for friends, enemies, whatever Smile
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

The heat of summer is a welcome change in Beqanna's cooler kingdom, home to the only snow that stays year-round, though to reach it is no small feat when it comes to the mid-year months. I know that Panthera likes to spend time near those peaks, putting time and energy into something that I can only imagine, since she won't tell me what exactly is going on; ever since Svedka reappeared, she's been less than compliant to telling me anything, and it leaves me wondering why.

But for today, the long-legged cat stalks alongside me, occasionally stopping to smell a tree or to paw at some bugs who dare to fly within reach of her mighty paws. I'm not really going anywhere in particular for now, instead just enjoying the silent company of my familiar and watching Hyaline's landscape roll and shift around our journeying selves. From mountains to willows to a lake and back again, the variety of this land never ceases to amaze me; and getting to know that I am an integral part to why it remains a sanctuary even in trying times is incredibly fulfilling.

We've got company.
    You don't have to say it like it's a bad thing, Panthera.
    Don't be picky, horse.

Snorting in soft disapproval of the leopard's derogatory usage of my species, I turn my head to gauge our surroundings. Indeed, in the corner of the meadow which we have just entered (with its sweeping grasses that seem never to end), a gleaming mare stands awestruck and wondersome. Her colouring reminds me of my son Rhaegor. Curious, I change my path such that she may intercept me should she choose to, letting a gentle whinny travel across the plain in greeting.

Stopping some distance away in case our newest refugee would prefer to be left alone, I lower my head and begin to graze, momentarily forgetting that most others of my kind aren't expecting to see a leopard by the side of an equine.

@[Adria]
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver

Adria

Concentration broken, Adria turns a subtly lovely head aside to catch sight of who else had come along. Met with a vision of crowned antlers and two figures, the nereid shifts around to peer curiously at the duo for a moment. At the right stood a mare patched over, white on mahogany, while directly to the lady’s side crouched a satin black wildcat. Her own knowledge on large felines was scarce at best, so Adria could only guess the species from where she stood apart but no matter. The imposing pair kept their distance and Adria stifled her own apprehensions in favor of meandering closer.

“Hello there!” She chimes, the sound of her voice like sheets of rain falling over the ocean. In her natural element Adria rivaled her own mother in terms of grace. Here on land, her steps seem to flow like the rivers she traveled through. Winding close enough to be mildly disturbed by the unflinching stare of round, yellowed eyes following her, the ischian-born mare eases to a stop before forcing her attention away from the predator and onto the bone-crowned overo.

“Are you a … beast tamer?” She tries, searching for the correct term while her native tongue gave the words a soft slur. Growing up alongside a dam who talked to sharks made the symbiosis of horse and cat a bit easier to swallow. “Ah forgive me!” The youngling started again, “My name is Adria. I was invited here by Tähti; graying pegasus with black wings? Are you -“ She tilts her head “- are you a ‘member’ of this Hyaline?”

@[Kagerus]
    litotes

Having grown comfortable and attached in his time in Hyaline, Litotes has not left since he first met Warlight. There was an air of safety that permeated here that he cannot say no to. It is the first time in years he does not feel completely on edge.

Lie is now fairly familiar with Hyaline. There are plenty of secrets he has yet to discover, but his understanding of the land is now extensive. His favorite spot is the lake, which is what led him to a beautiful little valley a few days before. Now, whenever he feels he must be truly secluded, he treks to his sweet little vale.

Today, his path feels different, almost disturbing. In the past, Lie would have considered signs of another an agitation, but now he only feels mild discomfort. He can smell them as he travels closer - a scent of wood and a scent of water intertwining peacefully. The way their existences coincide soothes Lie; suddenly he feels no fear at all when the thought of meeting them crosses his mind.

He eases into the valley, body now swathed in sunlight and legs teased by endless stalks of impossibly emerald grass. There are three: a gleaming and golden girl, an antlered woman, and a large black feline. An unfamiliar creature that practically screams predator would have normally given Lie pause, but the wrapping warmth of the day and the sweet whispers of the verdure spur him into action.

Approaching at a friendly trot, the stallion dips his head and whinnies light-heartedly. Lie barely catches the last couple of words of the buckskin girl and stays quiet, awaiting a response from the bay and white woman.

i don't want your pity, i just want somebody near me
    guess i'm a coward, i just want to feel all right

@[Adria] @[Kagerus]
    Kagerus

As brave as I hope all of Hyaline's members to be, the golden mare approaches swiftly. Her lyrical voice precedes her proximity, though she does get quite close all things considered; Panthera's eyes track her carefully, a habit I've yet to break the cat of as it unnerves practically everyone who meets her. I finish chewing a last bite of grass as she begins to ask a question, swallowing and chuckling at its content.

"She is my familiar, a gift for having placed second in the Alliance some years ago."  The statement is truthful, though I somewhat resent that it makes me sound... pompous. On the other hand, having that certification to my name lends Hyaline a bit more of a bite than other kingdoms - even more to that end, Solace too had participated in the Alliance. A smile curls on my lips at the thought - Solace is even sexier than normal when she's rared up for battle, the little minx - but it tempers some at the buckskin's next utterance, my head nodding amiably at her request for forgiveness.

"Well welcome Adira, I am pleased to know that Tähti has brought you to visit. I do indeed reside here; I am one of two Caretakers, the other being my wife, Solace." I smile again, feeling the wind pull through my mane, some locks brushing against the lower prongs of my antlers. "I hope you've found Hyaline pleasant thus far."

Just as I am saying so, the presence of another catches my attention. My neck twists, disturbing the smooth lines which cut from white to bay as I gaze curiously towards the newcomer. A stallion, creamy white and with distinct bloodlines as shown by his excellent conformation and build. Panthera sits up from where she'd been crouching to peer over the grasses towards the stallion before settling down again, rather uninterested in the proceedings now that she knows I'm safe.

"Hello there, I don't believe we've met either. I am Kagerus, one of two Caretakers here; what is your name?" I side-step closer to the stallion, evening out the space between us three such that the conversation includes us all. "Are you both temporary residents, or have you considered Hyaline as your home? If so, I can speak to our caste systems as well, though no member is expected to join unless they'd like to."

@[Adria]
    Just so both of you know, Panthera is a leopard, so tawny not black! No need to fix your posts I just thought I'd clarify <3
    dreamweaver

Adria

“Familiar.” The water-horse contemplates once the other mare explains. From her mild understanding of ancient magics, she thinks of the wildcat’s existence similar to a reflection of the antlered woman’s soul. A physical manifestation of sorts, linked and bonded unlike her own mother’s gift for gab in an unknown language. Glancing longways at the bronze creature close to the Hyaline mare’s heel, Adria takes into consideration that such an animal was what magic had chosen to represent the other horse. Another fleeting look at the ragged scar (obvious now from their proximity to one another) crossing the dame’s face confirms her suspicions: this was no soft adventurer like herself.

“I see.” The nereid confirms, though she only partially does. Mention of the word “alliance” and the way it seems to swell as a rosy grin on the horned lady’s face mean very little to nothing at all. Adria had lived a life at sea, detached from the ongoings of Beqanna and only weakly tethered to Ischia itself by necessity. Her parents had been staunch about building a wall between their family and the rest of the world, however determined Adria was now to break it. “And thank you, Caretaker. Hyaline is -” She stops, both ears swiveling to reach behind and discern a sound.

Another approaches.

She moves as a liquid being, one hind leg reaching to shift her body. A single action that follows throughout her form, a line of motion that twists her in a balletic angle so that her hips sway and trail a russet train of hair in their wake. At the same time her face tilts, every aesthetically pleasing line hinting to what immeasurable artistry her figure would soon grow into despite the fact that she’s merely angling for a better look at him. Beauty for her was both curse and blessing, given that it was an unavoidable side effect from her powers. It had turned her mother into a recluse and that same fear had been nurtured inside of Adria.

The additive of a male makes her … visibly nervous.

“Yes, hello.” The seamare murmurs, avoiding the newcomer’s eye when his advancement forces a need for her to speak. Her mouth feels dry and her tongue awkward, but Adria manages to hold onto Kagerus’ question and finds distraction in forming a reply. “I left my home to discover Beqanna.” The lake-dweller admits, “If I could continue this, my travels, while claiming your Hyaline as my own …” She ponders in her soft accent, “It would be a dream, aye.”

@[Kagerus] @[litotes] I'm an idiot Sid. The first three letters of assume.
    litotes

A bold feeling so fresh it colors his vision, Litotes hardly notices how the other two respond. He has to clear his brain to solely focus on their words, so high on surety that he drifts into who he might be. Blinking to shake away the haze, the stallion brings his soft and golden gaze onto the antlered woman.

Sovereignty exudes from the bay and white caretaker. Lie senses her leadership in the way she holds her head and immediately finds a way to include them both (a kind leader). The pale man gives Kagerus a small smile and turns to the beautiful topaz girl to his other side. She murmurs a short greeting and does not meet his gaze - something is off. Anxiety rolls off of her in quiet waves. Lie frowns, assuming her change in body language is because of his presence (she seemed fine from afar, at least). Lie turns away from the other girl and inches imperceptibly away from her. It upsets him that he makes her uncomfortable but he does not wish to further that discomfort.

“My name is Litotes. It’s a pleasure to finally meet one of Hyaline’s leaders,” he rumbles, voice as low and as calm as a cat’s purr. He says no more and listens to the golden girl speak - eyes to the ground.

“I would love to stay - Warlight greeted me and gave me a tour when I first arrived,” Lie smiles sweetly as he speaks, remembering the genuine warmth that emanated from his spunky friend. For a moment, he hopes that he will soon run into her again.

i don't want your pity, i just want somebody near me
    guess i'm a coward, i just want to feel all right

@[Kagerus] @[Adria] im so sorry this took so long work has been really overwhelming
    Kagerus

As Adria's eyes drift thoughtfully to Panthera, I try not to smile; her interest shows quite clearly in the gorgeous lines of her face, curiosity absolutely becoming of her. The wildcat at my side sits up from her haunches upon being examined, alert in the presence of one so inquisitive; stepping forward, the cat stretches herself up - which she needn't do very much considering she is seven hands tall, only two hands shorter than my children when they were newborn - and exchanges breath with the mare, if she would allow her to.

Retreating, Panthera looks to the stallion, but finding that he shows no interest in her, settles herself in the center of their gathering. A soft purr hums between them all, music for their chat.

"Please," I chuckle when she thanks me with my title. "Kagerus will do."

But that is the last comfortable phrase I hear from the woman, as her disposition changes completely with the further approach of the stallion. Still, I admire her beauty from the corner of my eye, not immune to the charms that come with her enhanced features; but my gaze has no weight behind it, and I next focus on the way her words tighten in greeting the pale man. He, being more sensitive than most of his sex, shifts his weight closer to me and away from the shy nereid; I cock an appraising brow at this, but revert my attention when Adria answers.

"Hyaline is home to any who need her, and indeed, I would be pleased to have one such as you within our borders. It is a safe place for the soft and kind-hearted, here. I think you will like it very much." I offer these words with a kind and genuine smile, hoping to put the buckskin girl at ease with my soothing voice.

The stallion speaks then, and I am more than happy to shift my weight and to hear his thoughts. Litotes, he introduces himself as; I lower my crowned head in greeting at this, a small smile woven upon the dark creases of my lips. When he mentions my only daughter however, the expression becomes far more intrigued before blossoming into an outright grin. Ah, Warlight - she would do such a thing as seduce a male stranger into living here, with her girlish and far too knowing ways. I wonder if he draws the conclusion of our relation before I admit it out-loud; after all, she is my perfect doppelganger.

"You have met my daughter then, Litotes. Princess Warlight is quite the outgoing one - I hope she didn't scare you off with her vivacious ways." Chuckling softly, I gently shake out my neck, undoing some knots which had found their way into the black tresses of my mane. Then, looking from Litotes to Adria, I go on to ask: "Have you any questions? I'm happy to answer. Otherwise, I'll have to warn you that winters in Hyaline are the harshest in Beqanna, except perhaps in Nerine where they have no mountains to shield them from the coastal winds. I hope that shan't deter you two; I quite like you both."

@[Adria] @[Litotes]
    dreamweaver