• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

all this couldn't satisfy my soul. adna, ilma, any.
    Vulgaris
    As the edges of dawn begin to trace their familiar path over the horizon, he wakes her with a gentle kiss to her sleeping temple. The summer heat has finally given way to comfortable autumn breezes. Vulgaris has decided that today he will keep his promise to Ilma and bring his daughter to Hyaline for a visit. Larva had long since hung up his hat for politics and formalities by the time his youngest child was born and so he never learned to speak eloquently. His manners were honed by more basic conversations and idle chats. But he and Adna will learn together, he thinks with a small laugh. They will become more refined and practiced with their words.

We’re going on a trip today. I’m going to show you a home like ours, but it’s called Hyaline,” he explains as they begin their journey. His steps are slow and careful so she may keep up without tiring herself trying to match his long strides. She’s taller now than when she was born, though not by much. Still, it warms his heart to see how she’s grown in just a few months since he and Leliana welcomed her into the world.

I have a friend who lives there named Ilma. She doesn’t have any children your age but she’s nice,” he explains with a shrug of his broad shoulders. He watches her carefully when they come to the river separating the kingdoms. The serpent is careful to walk close enough to catch her if the current knocks her off her small hooves. Finally, they cross over the border and into Hyaline, where he waits patiently for them to be noticed. Only now does he recall that Kagerus is still queen here. But it can’t be helped now.

He turns to Adna and lightly bumps his nose against her cheek affectionately. The rough texture of her scales mirrors his own as they both glimmer and shine in the sun.
    " ancient language, speak through fingers. the awful edges where you end and i begin. "
    @[adna] @[Ilma] @[Kagerus]
    Adna

The days that daddy wake her up are her most favorite of days.

She can feel the smooth touch of scale to her own scaled forehead and she grins sleepily, still curled up, her cheek pressed to the earth. At first, it’s just the tip of her mouth that curves, and then her ears begin to wiggle, and finally the entire length of her stretches, her vibrant green eyes opening last. She smiles up at him, ears perking amongst the fluffy growth of her forelock. Yes, days like this were her favorite.

Eager, she rises to her feet, looking to where Leliana still lay resting, before turning back to her dad with a conspiratorial grin. If it was just the two of them, that was even better because that meant adventure.

Not that she didn’t love her mama.

But…well, Leliana worried more about her and kept the leash just a little shorter.

She tip-toes after her father dramatically, giggling maniacally as soon as they are out of earshot. She takes several dancing steps forward, coltish legs jittery beneath her, but she draws herself back to keep pace with him. Her ears perk as he talks and she nods, trying to take his words seriously, tucking them away as the precious things that they are. “Hy-hy-hyaline?” Her tongue stumbles over the syllables, and she frowns as she tries to master them. “Hyaline!” This time it comes out more confident and she whinnies a little, delighted in herself. “What’s it going to be like? Will it be like the playground? BIGGER? Will there be other horses there? Will we have to fight a bear? Or a dragon? OH! Let’s fight a dragon!”

The questions are unending, tripping over themselves as she trips to keep up with him in her eagerness. They only die when the rest of the land comes into view and her serpentine eyes widen with delight. She grows quiet then, caught between joy and curiosity and slightly overwhelmed by everything that’s so new.

She presses into Vulgaris’ shoulder for confidence, stopping as he stops and peering out from around him. He touches his nose to her cheek and it chases a smile out of her as she presses into his nose, eyes closing.

“Thanks for bringing me, daddy,” she whispers. “Thanks for being my dad.”

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

She hasn’t been all too watchful for visitors for a time, but she doesn’t give up on that task either. Everyday life seems to have been relatively restored, though she still needs to catch up with what most of the younglings are doing. It appears Rhaegor has been recruiting Kensa, and who knows else, but had figured telling only his mothers would be quite enough. Or not even telling his mothers. Perhaps he just forgot the part of telling others about a new arrival entirely. Like a herd stallion who couldn’t be bothered by the mundane ranking order of the mares - well no, not entirely, but he did seem to think with his hormones rather than his brains, as of late. Well, she wasn’t his mother, and sooner or later he would find out about the consequences of leading several girls on at once.

Spotting a familiar grey figure and a bay filly who is clearly a foal from last spring, she smiles to herself and forgets all about the mute boy or his overall fiery and constantly expanding, family. Sometimes, Ilma wonders how Solace puts up with all that. Ilma has had two children of her own, and doesn’t think she will have any others (not with the rate with which Svedka seems to be coming and going anyway, always just enough on her mind not to seek for an adventure of her own, but far enough away not to actually take their friendship over that edge), not that she really minds the lack of pregnancy or a weanling at her feet. Life is busy as is; today she has visitors, after all.

To this day, nothing more has come off the strained relationship she has with Lepis. And with Vulgaris here she doesn’t think it will affect the relationship with Loess any more; she doesn’t regret stealing the woman in return, but perhaps she shouldn’t have been the one trying to talk to her. Ah well. It’s over and done with.

Approaching the scaled grey and his equally-scaled daughter, she smiles brightly at them. ”Vulgaris, welcome. Please, don’t just stand there. The view is much better in other places.” she starts with, and smiles encouragingly to the filly. ”You must be Adna. Your father is very proud of you already, you see, so he already told me your name, but he didn’t tell me you were this pretty.” There’s a genuine warmth in her voice, the girl is really looking cute. Her bay appearance gives her scale a much warmer gleam than the ones on her dad, makes her look kinder. Especially in combination with her bright eyes, or perhaps, there’s just more of her mother in the girl.

Vulgaris, however, was quite wrong to say that Ilma has no babies of her own of Adna’s age. The mare has a daughter who looks the part at least; but she’s not sure if her would-be three-year-old enjoys playing with the really young ones any longer, and isn’t one to keep track on her either. After all, though she is not grown up, she is an adult.

She muses. Perhaps one of the yearlings would like to play with Adna, though. If the girl gets bored with being around her father and herself, anyway.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

@[vulgaris]@[adna]
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    Vulgaris
    On the days when he paces along the borders of Loess, he misses seeing his daughter’s face smiling up at him. He loves Leliana, of course, and he misses her as well whenever she’s not at his side. But Adna is essentially his first child and he wants to pull the moon from the stars just to give it to her. Yet he is only a serpent and so he makes do with what he’s got. Today that means showing her the rest of the world while she’s safe under his protective watch.

He smiles warmly when she sounds out the word Hyaline and he brushes the fluff that would someday be her forelock from her face. “That’s right. There are a lot of horses there, but we’re not going to fight today. We’re going to use our words and meet new acquaintances instead,” he explains with a soft laugh. Vulgaris watches her when she leans into his shoulder for comfort and gives thanks for having him in her life. Of course, he doesn’t actually believe that he’s worth anything as a father, but he doesn’t tell her that.

Thanks for being my Adna.

He lifts his head when Ilma arrives to greet them and offers her a polite nod of his head. His friend introduces herself and pays the small girl a compliment or two. His green eyes watch her, observing the microexpressions of her face with wonder and adoration. In the recesses of his mind, he thinks of how he doesn’t deserve a child like her, as perfect and kind as her mother. She inherited only his strengths and he is eternally grateful for that.

Say thank you and tell Ilma what you like about her,” he whispers softly into his daughter’s ear. Although he lacks the etiquette and caring disposition most diplomats have, he recognizes the similarities between them. He hopes with a nudge in the right direction, Adna will learn to be eloquent and strong – the perfect blend of her parents.

He lifts his head to look at Ilma and he can’t help the jagged smile across his face. The tiny girl is his pride and joy, after all.

Hello Ilma. I hope you’ve been well. I think Adna would love to learn all about Hyaline, if you wouldn’t mind giving us a tour.
    " ancient language, speak through fingers. the awful edges where you end and i begin. "
    @[adna] @[Ilma] @[Kagerus]
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

Well, while there might be leopards, lions, and a thousand children occupying Hyaline these days, there are certainly no snakes.

I decide to approach the scene with curiosity as opposed to violence, figuring that by the way he has a child by his side and is being friendly with Ilma, he must be here on peaceful terms. Our last encounter can't really be counted among Things That Matter considering that Hyaline and Loess have peace for a year now, as well as the fact that I am happily reunited to my wife (happy being a big, big, BIG  understatement. I almost don't approach at this thought, that thought being one of my wife arch-backed and wide-mouthed in ecstasy due alone to my tongue... but Queenly duties call, and not the ones she and I are so well accustomed to).

Carrying myself regally but not without warmth in the form of a small smile, I slide into the group just as Vulgaris mentions how Adna would love to learn about Hyaline, perhaps from a tour? At this I can't help but to grin a little humorously, my eyes meeting the serpent's before I manage to collect my thoughts in any meaningful sort of way.

"Yes, a tour would be quite in order. Good to see you again Vulgaris, Ilma." With this last word, I turn my antlered head to look my ambassador squarely in the eyes, a warmth settling there as I study her alabaster features. Leaning forward, I press my muzzle affectionately to her shoulder before turning to face the youngest of our group.

"And hello to you as well, little one. My name is Kagerus. There are many here your age who would love to meet you, if you'd like to come another day to play. I'm sure that your father would allow it." Cocking a brow up at Vulgaris as if they are cooperating on some sort of mischief, Kag holds the look for a moment before spinning on her heels and inviting the entourage forward. "Shall we?"

[Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Adna

Adna has no way of knowing the storm that’s brewing on the edges of her family.

She has no idea of the hurricane that’s about ready to hit.

So she can take simple pleasure in this moment, in this idyllic snapshot of time where she is with her father and he is with her, whispering reassuring words into her ear, guiding her through the visit with a surprising amount of grace. At his explanation, she gives him a fanged grin, excitement clear in the shining of her green eyes. “Using our words isn’t as much fun as fighting,” she says with a giggle, shaking her head. “But I think I will like making acqua-acquaint-acquaint…” She struggles with the word, tongue continually fighting her on it and she scrunches her nose up in frustration before stomping her foot.

“What does that word mean again, daddy?”

When he thanks her, her face lights up and she presses into his shoulder more, welcoming the warmth of him as the white mare approaches them. Her tiny ears perk as she listens, precocious until the end. “I’m pretty like my mom,” she pipes up. “Although I think I’m more like my dad. I don’t want to be pretty. I want to be strong.” She bares her teeth and rears slightly, as if to show of her muscles, but grows slightly more subdued when Vulgaris instructs her further. She glances up apologetically, sorry for the sudden outburst of energy as she glances to Ilma with a slightly chagrined grin. “Thank youuuu,” she drags out the word and then studies her for a moment. “I like your eyes! They are really nice.”

But their trio soon grows as the antlered mare approaches and Adna’s eyes grow wide with wonder. She takes a small step forward from her father, although still tucked by his side. “Hi, Kagerus!” She studies the branches of antlers that leave her head. “I would really, really like a tour, and I’d like to meet more friends!” She glances back at her father, waiting for his permission to follow the pair further.