• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  There's Warm, Then There's This [Kove, Any]
    Though her time on this earth has been short, Nalia had been through a numerous number of seasons, through all four of them several times. And she just had one thing to say about this territory of Beqanna.

There was autumn warm, spring warm, and summer warm. Then, there was Tephra, and it wasn't even the warmth that was bothering the filly. It was the humidity, the residual heat, and suddenly, Nalia was beginning to question if her curiosity was a good thing. The warmth got to the point that the filly had to let her wings drag behind her a little so that her barrel wouldn't feel so hot and constricted.

As she got closer to Tephra's border, gazing into the distance, she could see what was causing this incredible heat. An enormous mountain rose above the meadow, and if Nalia looked carefully, she could see something red pouring down the side. Though Nalia had never lived near one before, both something her dam told her, and those of Nerine who told her a little about Tephra before she came here, came back to her and she realized what this was called: a volcano. Well, that explained the steam.

Letting out an exhausted breath, her nostrils flared, the filly wondered who would be crazy enough to live here as she stepped over the grass, making sure to stay well away from the red streams that crossed over the greenery. Nalia had heard that Tephra was currently more of a neutral kingdom, but as a diplomat-in-training for Nerine, she figured she should come here, see what this kingdom was like and who lived here.

The filly considered flying into Tephra's inner territory, but considering the steam was causing a bit of distress for her system, since she was not used to this heat, she nixed the idea. She also considered not crossing the border, but instead letting another know she was here first, however, she didn't want to wait, to stand outside like a complete stranger. So, steeling herself, the filly took a few more steps forward, crossing the border and looking around to see if there were any horses out here, near where she was, to greet them and ask more about Tephra.

@[Kove]

OOC: I mostly did this post for Kove, but if any other horse would like to come and meet Nalia, you are welcome to. Smile
    Kove
    Take Me to the Waters Edge

Every time an opportunity to meet a new friend presented itself, I was more than thrilled to greet a kind face.  Snout had been just that and I was grateful to call him a friend.  The trinket that dangles so delicately from my neck reminds me of him as well as my long lost twin Ketzia.  Each day without her seemed incomplete.  So perhaps that is why I fill my days with meeting new faces.

The weather of Tephra no longer weighed on me.  I was born into this climate and I was satisfied to die within it as well.  The smell to others was pungent, but to me it was home.  Even as I walked alongside melted earth flows, the heat did not phase me.  When the humid air mixed with the intense heat, it created billows of steam to rise from the cracks, giving the land an almost eerie presence.  

There were other parts of Tephra that were less haze an more sunshine.  These parts I liked best.  Here I would practice with my manipulation of the sun's rays.  Forming spheres of glowing light and bouncing them along.  I had a younger sister that enjoyed this game of catch, but I hadn't seen her for years either.  Ever since I had left Ischia to reunite with my twin sibling.  Though it had been a short reunion, it gave me some peace of mind.

With my glowing sphere in tow I travel closer to the borders.  Here is where I had met Snout and today I hoped to curb my loneliness by finding another face to greet.  It never takes long as it seems Tephra is a hot spot for visitors.  And before long I spot a winged dark and light figure with wings cross the channels edge.  At first I wonder if this is Eifa and there is a slight increase in my heart beat.  I begin to trot towards the stranger but I soon find it is not my younger sibling.  I slow with a slight downheartedness but I smile nonetheless and greet the painted girl in an almost girlish voice, "Hi there! Welcome to Tephra.  My name is Kove.  What's your name!?"  I was always eager, too eager for some maybe.  I am naive to it though and only want to find a new friend.   

@[Nalia] Sry for the wait but I had some Kove muse this morning before work ruins it lol
    Well thank goodness, it didn't seem Nalia would have to wait for very long to meet a fresh face. She focused her gaze in the direction of the horse she spotted coming, a small smile growing on her face. When the horse got close enough, Nalia looked her over. The creature was young, around Nalia's age if not slightly younger, with an appaloosa-colored pattern on her body. The front half was a dark brown in color while a blanket of white covered her hindquarters.

Two small rings of white encompassed her right front and left hind pasterns, and a small white snip stood out on her dark-colored nose. Finally, as opposed to the black hair Nalia was familiar with in most horses this filly's color, the appaloosa's were a bright light purple, something that caused Nalia surprised despite all the other cool stuff she'd seen since coming to Beqanna.

The approaching filly slowed down and greeted Nalia with a smile of her own, welcoming her to Tephra before introducing herself. Returning the friendly smile, Nalia nodded her head in greeting, "Hi there Kove, I'm Nalia. And thanks; Tephra's seemed like a cool place for a while so I thought I'd come check it out. What's it like here?" she asked, shifting her weight to relax one of her hind legs.

@[Kove]
    Kove

The filly comes to a stand just in front of the granite female, happily finding a greeting in the form of a smile coming from the stranger.  At least I hadn't approached carelessly a threatening equine, so I am quick to offer another smile.

I welcome her openingly, looking at the etched edges of her pinto pattern and wings tucked to her side.  I had always wished to fly above the Tephran haze and circle the volcanos billowing top.  My eyes divert to hers when she states her name and purpose for being here.  Visitors were common here and I am always willing to give tours...

I giggle at her comment, "Tephra definitely isn't cool, in terms of temperature.  But yes, it is a fine place to explore." My lavender forelock falls across my view from a light sea breeze and I am quick to toss it back with a jolt of my dished face.  "Besides the warm weather Tephra is a very calm atmosphere... You wouldn't expect that with an active volcano to the north,"  my face turns to where the jewel of the land reaches high into the clouds.  "Oh! Do you want to go see it?!  It is quite amazing actually.  I can take you there!", voice high pitched with enthusiasm. 

In my excitement, I prance in place, readying myself to ask the girl where she comes from and in anticipation of her acceptance of my offering...

@[Nalia] Again... Sry for the wait.  Hard to find happy muse after work lol so Saturday morning is best for Kove muse
    "I don't think anybody would expect it. It's a volcano for crying out loud, there's no way the temperature would be cool unless all the lava was gone," she stated in a joking tone. But what the filly asked her next surprised Nalia to the point that she was almost shocked speechless.

"Wait wait, really?! We can go see the volcano?! Then what are we doing still standing around here, let's get going!" The filly started to prance like Kove had been doing, flapping her wings to show her excitement.

"Come on then!" Nalia shouted to her, cantering off in the rough direction of the volcano and waiting for her guide to catch up.

@[Kove]
    Kove

And without another word they are off.

It doesn't take me long to follow the pintos lead and I am quite glad she decides to run along the land with me.  Flying has always been a dream of mine but I had yet to master my ability to allow me to soar as high as the sun itself.  I would settle with the aura of light that surrounded me now as we galloped toward the ominous mountain.

As we draw closer I shout, "Watch for lava flows..." A precaution given as the land harbored many.  Some small and if you weren't watching, could easily be stepped in.

I settle into a smooth lope beside my new friend.  Silver-lavender eyes turned towards the base of the giant formation.  It was quite a trip and my lungs began to quicken their intake of air.  The smog of the land didn't help any but thankfully at this time of day the majority of it has lifted.

My gaze darts to the right and I toss my head just the slightest before calling out, "Over here!"  My body makes a quick left and I find myself slowing to a brisk walk.  A stream of molten rock blocks my trajectory though, so I nod to Nalia with a confident smile and gather myself underneath me to leap across the heated earth.

I wait for her to join me on the other side before I turn back towards a rocky path leading up the side of the volcano.  "Wanna see something cool??" I ask with a twinkle in my silver eyes...

@[Nalia]
    There were times on their short journey towards the volcano where Nalia would take to the skies just to have some fun and stretch her wings, but other times, she would run by the other filly's side, not wanting to flaunt her gift even though she was sure this new friend of hers had some of her own.

They drew close to the volcano before Kova warned Nalia about potential lava flow, something that had the filly keeping a lookout on high alert. She figured this lava was very dangerous or Kove would not have warned her about it, so she kept her wits about, eyes scanning the terrain to make sure she didn't accidently slip and send herself plummeting into one of the various streams she could see crisscrossing the meadow.

Again Nalia took to the skies to get a layout of the land when they got close to the volcano's mountain base, for even though a majority of the smoke had by now cleared the filly's lungs weren't accustomed to it and she figured getting higher out of the smoke's reach would do her a favor. For a short moment, it did, but she decided she couldn't keave her friend down there for long. Nalia returned to the ground, tucking her wings in and taking short, quick breaths, to try and help her lungs get accustomed to the foul smell in the air.

Kova called to the paint filly from off to the left, and Nalia followed, eager to see what her new friend had discovered. Nalia's eyes widened when they came across a rather wide stream of lava flow, the heat rising up and practically singing the tips of Nalia's feathers. She took a step back, seriously considering turning around and that this had been a bad idea. However, before she could say anything, missing Kove's nod, the filly backed up a few steps, then strode forward and leaped across like it was nothing.

Taking the safe route, Nalia flapped her wings to gain some height, and flew over the lava stream, landing calmly next to Kove when she reached the other side. Glancing nervously back at the flow of lava, trying to ignore the humid feeling in the air and the smoke in her lungs, Nalia glanced to the other filly to see what she had in store next.

Picking at Nalia's curiosity, Kove asked her if she wanted to see something cool, a twinkle lighting up her eye. Nalia's own widened with excitement, "Of course I do!" she responded enthusiastically, her wings flapping to emphasize her anticipation.

@[Kove]
    Kove

My invite is answered with haste and so I lead on.  My body quickly and without effort, bends and twists along the rocky incline winding up the large formation.  Small pebbles loosen under hoof and trickle down the path until they find rest.  "It's just a little farther," I call to the piebald mare behind me.  

I am more excited than perhaps necessary when we reach the very place I had referenced.  It is a stone ledge overlooking their world high up alongside the volcano, the clouds nearly a reach away.  My smile is wide and eyes stare out across the lands.  From here I can see the autumn forests of one land and the mountain tops of another far beyond my reach. It is perhaps more special to me than the winged mare.  I do not possess such a grand ability to soar with the colorful avian. "Is this what flying is like?!"   I wonder out loud, the breeze catching my lilac tassels as I outstretch my neck.  Closing my eyes,  I dream as though I am really flying and in my wishing I do not notice my powers pulling the sunlight to form wings at my side.  Their edges glow with the brightness of the sun itself, large and extending from my shoulders they become nearly tangible...

@[Nalia] figured it might be fun for her to discover sunlight wings lol
    Nalia was quick to follow and keep up with her new friend, though as the duo went further up the rocky incline the filly dropped back to avoid crowding Kove. She didn't want either of them slipping after all, but just in case, Nalia kept her wings slightly off her back in case she slipped and had to catch herself.

Kove called back to Nalia to let her know it wasn't much further, which had Nalia smiling. Indeed, they only traversed another few feet or so before they reached the top, a strong wind blowing up against them as a draft from the winds coming up from the valley below. The ledge was large enough for both fillies to stand there comfortably, looking out down at the world below. Nalia opened her wings some to let the wind brush against her, a comforting presence like her dam from all those years ago. She felt at home in the sky as much as she did on the ground, and she was quite happy to share this new experience with a new friend.

Kove asked a question that Nalia almost missed due to the deafening winds, but her keen hearing got the gist of it. She nodded her head, "Pretty close, but it's a whole different feeling to actually soar through the sky."

To emphasize her point, Nalia opened her wings and leaped from the ledge, allowing her weight to carry her down before she tilted her body to catch the draft. It allowed her to glide over the valley, still a high distance into the air before she flipped so that she was now flying with her stomach to the sky and her back to the ground. Since it was a tricky maneuver she didn't hold it for long, folding her wings to turn over again before flapping the feathered appendages and heading higher into the sky.

Turning midair, she headed back for her friend, not wanting to seem like a showoff. When she got close to the volcano ledge, she flapped her wings to slow down so she was hovering close to Kove, noticing how the filly had had neck outstretched and eyes closed in bliss, almost as if she was imagining what it'd be like to soar through the sky like Nalia.

Then, something caught the filly's attention. She almost thought she was seeing something, a trick of the light, until she realized it was quite literally the light reflecting off of Kove's body in a fashion she hadn't seen before. Unaware of her friend's ability to manipulate the light of the sun, Nalia's eyes widened until they could be twice their own size, her jaw dropping open when she realized what had happened to the filly.

She now had a pair of wings on her back! Not like Nalia's own, which were feathered like a bird's, but wings made of what appeared to be sunlight! She was so struck that she could hardly get two consecutive words out, lifting a hoof and pointing at the filly's back as she tried to speak.

"Uh... Kove... back... your... sunlight... wings... what... huh?"

@[Kove] I agree, this will be fun