• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  Only know how to fly - Magnus

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

Tephra is a long way away; but she knew she had to make the trek anyway. The queens had decided to send the younger recruits, Kota and Baltas, here to check on the land, and from the rumours she’d gathered in the field she had not thought it necessary to trail them. Indeed, they had returned with the good news that Tephra was a neutral land and they had been recieved well.

She wondered however, how they’d done, and besides, she was still curious. So she went over there herself; knowing they were on good or at least neutral terms, call it a social visit. Albeit one she might use to nose around just a bit, and learn about her newest diplomats’ skills, and perhaps get an idea of what the residents were like, herself.

With the fall season the days were shorter, but she managed the flight to the volcanic kingdom within the daylight hours. Her return might have to wait to tomorrow, or maybe she’d stop in the meadow or the field on her way back to rest there.

She calls from the border, and waits, wondering who might be here to greet her. A diplomat, a king, or a guard.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

@[magnus] hello, this is ilma checking on how kota and baltas did IC (bc I wanted an excuse for her to be here and I think they’d like eachother)
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time

I wanna give you wild love, the kind that never slows down
    I wanna take you high up let our hearts be the only sound

Magnus is never too far from the border, unless he’s spending the hour in the field, and he hears her call. Lifting his golden head, he looks toward the expanse of land that is where Tephra ends. He sees here there, glistening white with her ethereal wings, and it brings a warm smile to his face, gold-flecked eyes studying her for a moment. He’s seen her several times in the field, and he has a soft spot for those who are willing to work so hard for their kingdom. He was kingdom born and raised, taught the ways and the responsibilities by two monarchs of two separate kingdoms, and he knew that to serve meant to work.

He respects those who seem to have a similar mindset.

So it is with interest and pleasure that he picks himself and makes his way toward her, picking his way through the streams of magma and ash and volcanic soil with the vibrant blossoming flowers.

“Hello there,” he greets her, dipping his head and then lifting to catch her gaze. “It’s Ilma, right?” He is not the best at names, but he does his best to try—focusing on it as a skill to sharpen.

“What brings you to Tephra today?”

I wanna go where the lights burn low and you're only mine

@[Ilma] - yay, i'm glad you did!! i was hoping they'd get a chance to meet.
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]

Ilma

Tephra has one horse she knows - and of course, he’s the first to greet her. She grins a little at his approach. ”Magnus, I’m surprised to see you here instead of in the field,” she starts with a light-hearted smile. It disappears soon after, though, ”But I guess we all must hold on to our own in these trying times.”

She sighs and shakes her mane, then shrugs. ”It’s safe to travel by wing, I hope, and I guess you’re either stuck or will have to risk it, so coming to you is easier than the other way around.” she offers.

”I was going to ask how my diplomats had been doing last time they were here, but I’m also curious as to how you’re faring currently. I suppose Kromium might want to continue as before? she thinks aloud, though looks at the buckskin for confirmation, before continuing. ”Either way, it seems to me that we should support one another, as sanctuary kingdoms, wouldn’t you agree?” Oh, but maybe she is speaking too much. Maybe this is a time for change. Tephrans might be less willing to take in sick refugees, or reference them to the safe island off the coast instead.

But at least, she does believe that Magnus would be willing to tell her that, if the volcanic kingdom has changed.

@[magnus]
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.

His face warms with a smile at her, although there is still a knot in his stomach, the fear of everything that has transpired never far from his mind. There is so much that’s uncertain—so much that he doesn't know, so much that he can’t even begin to imagine—about the coming days. Both internally within Tephra and externally throughout Beqanna. He lips curve, but the bruises are not far from his eyes. “I sometimes choose to stay here,” he says with a hint of humor. “Although I could say the same thing for you. The field must feel empty indeed without you there to help shepherd the souls who find their way there.”

At her next observation, his mouth twists into a slight frown as he lifts his head to look to the horizon, to the lands that lie beyond it. “I will venture forth again eventually, although the trip is certainly longer than it used to be.” He shrugs, unphased by the distance. “I need to make sure that things are established and settled here, but I can’t hide here forever. It won’t do anyone any good if I just bury my head in the sand.”

He knew that likely would mean that he would contract the disease sooner or later, but that was just something that he would need to deal with when or if it happened. He couldn’t avoid the other kingdoms, those in the field, simply because he was worried about what could become of him.

At her next question, his expression grows thoughtful and he’s quiet for a moment before he addresses it. “Tephra is in the middle of some inner turmoil as we determine what her future looks like.” He finds her gaze then and holds it steadily. “But no matter what becomes of us, we will remain a sanctuary for those who need us, and I speak for everyone here when I say that we will support Hyaline however we can.”

@[Ilma]

Ilma

The sunlight-winged mare’s smile finds it’s way back to her lips when the buckskin tells her the field must be empty without her. She shakes her head. ”You do me too much honor, Magnus. The field is a place for many, even when we don’t frequent it as much.” she gives him happily in return. He’s right though, there will be more lost souls looking for a sanctuary than ever; even if temporary.

”I’ll be back there soon enough, like you. Distance is less a problem for me, especially with the recent shifting of land. I can’t imagine hiding the whole thing out in hopes it will pass, though if someone is indeed in need of such, I suppose that is their good right.” She muses, hoping that she won’t have to bring too many selfish characters into the sanctuary.

His expression falls when she mentioned Kromium continuing as before; quickly she realizes Magnus probably wouldn’t stand for it - for Tephra to seclude itself so. She smiles a little at him when he comes up with an answer; and with a nod she accepts his offer. ”Hyaline would not have it any other way either - although I believe I have to include the Silver Cove; I’ll bet you Kagerus is there right now laying a claim and fighting off whoever is foolish enough to challenge her.” A sheepish grin follows, knowing her friend and queen too well. ”She is our warrior queen, after all.” she tells him - so he’ll understand that should he want to negotiate, he might rather seek out Solace or hers truly.

”I don’t think I have the power to vote for Tephra, but you can count on our support as well, meager as that may be due to the distance. It looks to me that you have the best position here; I haven’t heard much from Ischia as of late, but I do not think the Brotherhood would threaten you.” The Ischians after all, have plenty other options, especially with the island resort unoccupied previously, though it will attract several horses soon no doubt. No, the West will be relatively quiet she thinks. It’s the South, with two kingdoms, that can be bothersome - but those can squibble amongst themselves. Honestly she doesn’t mind at all that Loess is no longer the sanctuary’s direct neighbour; their ideas are too different. Pangea might be bothersome enough, land-bound travelers having to go through there or swim the canal, to reach the Silver Cove. Children may have a hard time reaching it at all... ”Magnus, how many refugees can Tephra hold? I’m thinking the Cove is relatively hard to reach for some of the younger, or older ones. Of course Hyaline will never turn them away, but the sickness may spread there sooner rather than later.”

If not Tephra, then any other safe land, of course; she’ll have to check with those later.

@[magnus]

It is easy to fall into these patterns of diplomacy, although it was not always a natural talent for the buckskin stallion. He had been trained first and foremost in the art of war, and it was the drums of it that he had been most inclined to. He had enjoyed—perhaps too much—the steady beat of them in his head, the thrill of the challenge, of battle. He had been accused of being a warmonger and having a thirst for it.

It had taken a long time, perhaps even death, before he learned how to muzzle it.

It had taken longer still for him to learn the finer art of peace.

Still, he enjoys parts of it now, appreciating the kind strength of the mare next to him. “I wouldn’t have guessed you to be the kind to hide. I’m glad to know that you’ll be braving the world.” When she pivots to talk of their warrior Queen, amusement causes his gold-flecked eyes to spark. “I would hate to be the one foolish enough to challenge her.” He had seen just a hint of Kagerus’ fierce nature, and he knew that she wouldn’t hesitate to run the sharp edge of her antler’s blade clean through an opponent.

He dips his head at her support, face warming. “Regardless of whether you have the power of not, the gesture is appreciated all the same, Ilma.” He glances out over the kingdom surrounding them. “I remember when the Reckoning first hit Beqanna. The chaos that ensued was similar to what is overtaking her now. The faeries entrusted Offspring and I with this land, and we worked together with our peers to turn her into a sanctuary for those who needed a place to rest their head. I’m glad to have the opportunity to do the same again.” He shakes his head, ridding the memories like dust pluming from his coat.

At her next line of questioning, he frowns in thought, finding her eyes once more.

“Several dozen, more if they are families comfortable with one another. Tephra is a large space with a lot of habitable area. It’s one of the warmest areas in the winter, which will be ideal for those fighting the disease.” His mouth thins as he swallows back the concern. “Should anyone from Hyaline need to come here to rest and recuperate, they will find a safe place here. I would be honored to look after your own.”

@[Ilma]

Ilma

A tiny flock of ashes falls while they speak. The white mare moves one sunlight wing, whipping up some air in response; to be honest Tephra is not her home, not for the people or the heat, but, ah, she'd have to busy herself with looking presentable too long to be of any good use. She supposes Magnus' skin, though light still, would at least not show very dirty if he rolled here in the sand or elsewhere. Humouring her thought, she looks upon the scar-lit stallion, seeing how he handles himself so well in diplomacy; to be honest, a warrior with his heart turned towards speech first, is the best kind of leader a land can have. Skilled in both castes. He is in his right not ever wanting to challenge Kagerus - but to be honest, she thinks they would prove some worthy opponents.

But more pressing matters are at hand. He is a genuine man, unlike most of those who are currently claiming lands no doubt. She hears this in the way he speaks, in the way he loves his homeland, and the promise he'd made the fae so long ago that in his mind still stands, even after the changes to the world. She can appreciate such an honesty. "We would be glad to call you an ally, Magnus. Should the need arise that we assist you more physically, or shelter some refugees that do not get along with the climate or one another, do not hesitate to call." She is free to make such an offer, especially now that he offers to take in those who would do better in the easier-to-reach, warmer climate of Tephra than of perhaps the Silver Cove. Children and elderly - it's them that will need Tephra beyond anything else, but like herself, and perhaps Dawn the polar bear shifter - there are some that prefer a less volcanic environment.

And of course, if there is a matter of challengers, of horses who'd think the world doesn't need a sanctuary at this moment, they'll be there for one another. It goes perhaps a little unsaid, but - why, Magnus is a friend and she cannot think of it any other way. It's only natural for the two sanctuaries to support one another.

"I suppose it's time for me to go and have a look at this Cove that has arisen so near our previous home. We'll keep you in mind, Magnus, and good luck with Tephra." Though, she gives him a knowing smile - he'll do just fine on his own, she thinks.

@[magnus] figured this thread could be ended (: