• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  May the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows - Thorgal

Leilan
    a dragon who couldn't be hurt on the outside
    could have so many ragged holes inside
    Whatever anyone else may say, he’s not a total idiot.

Meaning he spies on Roseen and the boy sometimes, from a high up cliff or simply from across a meadow, always staying clear of their vision range, of course. Like he did with Breckin to make sure she was safe from Klaudius; using the edges of his dragon vision to not be seen, but see instead. Some days he likes to practise heat vision as well. It’s been a year by now that he has it, and switching is easier now.

But making sure that Thorgal is safe and cared for is pretty much all he can do right about now. Though the boy does get away from his mother more often by now, he still is very loyal to her. He smiles to himself about that - well, it seems he inherited some good things of him after all. It falters again with the idea that Roseen may have a totally different story to tell Thorgal about his father, and with a sigh, he continues on his quest to find some fall fruits that aren’t fermented or rotten (he doesn’t need to get home sick or drunk and try to explain that to Breckin - no-thank-you, she’s easily enough pissed these days already). Teeth like his are all handy sometimes when trying to expel some evil from the world, but they’re not very much suited for grazing, and if he can tear roots and fruits off of trees and bushes that means he has time for something else on the day.

He finds himself such a fruit-bearing tree in the forest parts of Nerine, near where Hyaline begins to exist. Pears today, this late in autumn he doesn’t want to try apples to be honest. Munching on one, he looks around casually, because it’s relatively quiet. It’s then that he spots movement, and with a knowing smile walks a little furter, a curve towards a more open spot. He stops there to graze, albeit slowly, and turns his eyesight to heat vision to spot the little fellow. Without so much as a blink or turn of his head, his eyes go from orange back to blue, before he addresses the young one. ”I see you.”
    HTML by Vanilla Custard, picture by x-celebri-x on deviantart

@[Thorgal]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |
    She hadn’t let him go off on his own this time; he had snuck away while she wasn’t looking. Thorgal pranced along, humming a tune his mother often sang to him, only this time he was closer to the border with Hyaline. There, more trees stood, where shade was more plentiful. He wasn’t looking for shade, though. The weather was getting a little too cold for that. 

No, he was searching for something special to give to his mother. Whether it be something pleasing to eat, or just a pretty little flower for her to wear, it didn’t really matter to him. He just wanted it to be unique, something they didn’t see everyday. He didn’t know if something like that was around the forest part of Nerine, but he wanted to give it a try. If he didn’t find anything, then he’d look elsewhere.

He stopped every now and then to look around more carefully, then continued when nothing caught his eye. Thorgal was caught up in his thoughts, concentrating too much to notice the presence of another. So when the stallion spoke, he jumped with a surprised yelp. All it took was a brief glance then to recognize the one who had spoken, and he visibly relaxed, letting out a sigh of relief while letting his hair fall flat. 

“Hello,” he replied, fixing himself to stand more firmly with a soft smile set on his face. “What are you doing here?’ He supposed he shouldn’t be surprised that he would run into his own father. He knew he lived in Nerine, but he saw him only once before, so it was easy to forget he didn’t live elsewhere.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    Frankly, really? It had been too much fun not to.

A short, low chuckle escapes his throat, though he stays in his position with his head low near the grass for a while. The boy had jumped, almost literally (he hadn't been able to truly see), and it had been amusing. But not too long, and he lets Thorgal ease, and recognize, before lifting his head to look at him. The silver bay receives a small smile, seeing as he rights himself, though he cocks his head at Thorgal when he asks what he is doing here. Wasn't it obvious, he was just searching for something to eat? But he reconsiders. The question could mean so many things.

One of those things was why was he still here in Nerine - forgo that one. The other was why he would be in this less-obvious place of Nerine, the forgotten forest parts, instead of with Breckin, maybe. Or instead of running around the borders to keep intruders out. He shrugs. "Hiding." he tells him, a mischievous look to his eyes as they are slightly aqua-green at that point.

He does a lot of hiding these days - not permanently or anything, just for a few minutes for Breckin to cool down. And keeping out of Roseen's sight, also. Which thought makes him grimace. "Please don't tell me I have to explain to your mother what you are doing here." With me. He doesn't say it, doesn't want to.

The blue in his eyes becomes a decidedly normal blue again, slightly deeper in colour than is normal for him, but he doubts Thorgal would notice. "How are you doing, Thorgal?" he wants to know. Wants to hear him say he's okay. Happy. Can he do that? Or was he not happy with the situation at all, he wonders. Would this lack-of-a-solution also be a wrong choice of his parents? But was there anything better?

@[Thorgal]
    |
    He was happy to see his father again, of course. Smiling brightly with a gleam in his eyes. But he couldn’t deny that he was upset deep down. This was the second time he had seen his father after he left shortly after Thorgal’s birth. And both times just happened to be accidental. His father was free to come visit Thorgal and his mother, yet he never came. Apparently Leilan didn’t know what that did toThorgal. He didn’t know his father, he didn’t know what he was like. He wasn’t even a part of his life. All Leilan was is a stallion he happened to accidentally meet, a stallion that made his mother pregnant. That wasn’t a real father.

But he never showed his true feelings. He feared it would seem like his mother wasn’t enough, that he didn’t enjoy her company, her help and support. He loved his mother more than anything else; she was more than enough, and she did a darn good job at raising him alone with all the problems she had to handle on her own. But that didn’t mean he wasn’t curious about his father. Whether he was part of Thorgal’s life or not, he just wanted to know what he was like. Just what was it his mother fell for?

“I’m looking for something to give her as a gift,” he replied with a light shrug of his own, letting his eyes wonder away and around at their surroundings. Then he looked back at Leilan with a curious glint in his eyes. Why exactly was he hiding? Was he avoiding him and his mother? His heart squeezed. That wasn’t the reason...was it?

“I’m fine,” he began again, shuffling his hoof a little sheepishly, eyes drawn to the ground. But you would know if you visited for once, he added rather bitterly to himself. “Mom has taken me to visit some of the other lands. That was pretty exciting.” An understatement. He could hardly contain his excitement when she told him they could leave Nerine and explore more of Beqanna.

@[Leilan]

Leilan
    The situation had been tense from the start, but, even though leaving the boy with his mother tore him to pieces, it was the best he could do when the woman he'd once known as pleasant and outgoing, was deep-down hating him so much that bits of it would surely seep to the surface. Thorgal would see. Thorgal would know, the moment she would look at him, the moment she would say his name. He couldn't have his son be torn up because of it.

Now, at least he had a mother he could wholly love. As his statement explained. Leilan nods, and, then cocks his head at the boy. "I'll help you look - but I doubt we'll find anything here. I mean, fruits and flowers aplenty, but with time, they'll be gone. You'll need something more permanent. She needs something more permanent." He thinks this over for a second, then nods. "The beach would be a better place to start." Shells, pretty stones, or if they're lucky, some of that see-through coloured stuff that looks like rough diamonds (sea-worn glass)... anyway, something for her to keep when Thorgal was grown up, to remember her boy.

Thorgal says he's fine, and tells him he went to other lands. Leilan nods automatically, unable to help himself before it's too late. "I know." Oops - maybe not a good idea to tell the kid he'd been trailing and spying on them, but anyway, take it as he might, perhaps it's more of a general 'I know'? Ah, who's he kidding, better talk over it quick. "But I did not mean physically, son." he says. The sadness he feels about the situation nearly seeping into his voice, makes him grimace in the distance, upset with nothing but himself, that he lets his guard down so easily.

He paws at the ground a little, then, before looking back at the boy with the deep blue of his eyes. All of this is a mess he doesn't know how to fix. It doesn't look fixable, from his point of view, because visiting might trigger Roseen's hatred and anger, and pretending he's not the boy's father would be even worse than that.

It's an endless, vicious circle, from where he stands.

@[Thorgal]
    |