• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Leliana;
    Deep down all you want is love
    The pure kind we all dream of

It’s too soon to truly feel the life they created, but the knowledge thrums in her heart. When a foal would kick, Shiya’s heart flutters adoringly. A jagged smile smears across her scaled lips while she hums idly to herself, content in how the threads are weaving together and promising her love for the first time. Like a school girl, she is elated when he crosses her mind, more so when she imagines their child.

It will be beautiful, she reassured him. It will be perfect because it is their own.

Alas, there was a solemnity that darkened his eyes and quieted his voice when she whispered into his scales and skin. She knew why, but still played innocent while tucking the knowledge away. A fire sparked within her and it hasn’t yet died.

The scent that cloaked his warm flesh burns the delicate lining of Shiya’s nostrils. It latched onto her and she hungrily drank it in anticipation of this day, of this moment.

She is a hellhound as she traces the smell, pursuing it as if it were prey. There’s a feverish hunger in her eyes as they dart back and forth until the sweet girl is spotted. Shiya takes pause and hovers her muzzle along the trunk of an oak tree, breathing in the world. Biding her time, she waits for the mania to settle and her heartbeat to gentle. The autumn breeze kisses her, lifting her forelock from her eyes as they lift and fall, flickering between Leliana and the multitude of others. That’s her. She knows it is. The intimacy of Vulgaris’ scent and Leliana’s is almost too much for Shiya, but she carries herself steadily when she finally peels away from the oak tree to close the distance between them.

”He’s smiling more,” she begins as she slips forward like the serpent she is, leveling her emerald gaze on her, observing her. ”He’s happier all of a sudden, but I haven’t asked him why.” Her voice is sultry, honeyed with lies that flow too easily. Her memories of his jagged smile replay and she uses the vivid imagery of her thoughts as fuel. ”I’m sure it is because we are expecting,” a sweet grin tips up the corners of her mouth as she looks at the horizon with a falsified sense of happiness and excitement, trying best to bleed and portray innocence (but she knows her name has likely been slipped into their conversations). It’s everything she can do from poisoning Leliana and ending it all here and now.

Shaking her head softly, Shiya tilts her head to once again meet her eyes. ”I’m sorry, look at me rambling like we are best friends and like you know what I’m talking about.” A gentle chuckle drips past her lips, and she slowly blinks. ”We haven’t even met before. I’m Shiya... and who are you?”

SHIYA

But we cannot escape the past,
    so you and I will never last

original html by Jassal

I waited for something, and something died
    so I waited for nothing, and nothing arrived

She is glad Adna is gone.

She is glad that she doesn’t have to be here, to witness this.

Not that she knows what it is—at least not at first.

She doesn’t recognize most things these days, stirring just enough to put on a mask of happiness for her daughter but encouraging her to spend her time at the playground or even dropping her off at Tephra to spend the day exploring with Magnus. The golden stallion often gives her a scrutinizing gaze but doesn’t pry, has learned a long time ago that Leliana didn’t open up when such private hurts wounded her.

Such it is today, her scaled daughter off happily trailing the battle-scarred stallion and she standing by the river, exhausted eyes tracing the spot where she first met Vulgaris, where they came together again, standing chest to chest—the feeling of home. It is empty now, hollowed out, and although she knows that she shouldn’t punish herself by being here, she can’t find it in her to leave, can’t force herself to go.

It, like the scaled wings that curve around her growing barrel, a reminder of him.

The only thing, outside of their perfect daughters, that she has left to cling to.

She doesn’t even notice when the scaled woman makes her way toward her. Only stirs when her voice breaks through the silence. The words barely register at first, and although she feels a sting at the thought of someone enjoying happiness, she can’t bring herself to be resentful. “That’s wonderful,” she muses quietly, blinking as she drags her gaze from the spot near the river to the woman before her.

As the mare comes into more focus, it feels like a gut punch.

The same lines. The same features.

If it weren’t for the feminine curves, she could almost trick herself into thinking Vulgaris was walking up to her. But it’s not him and although that is partly a relief, she finds herself aching all the same.

An ache that turns into a bitter anguish when the name cuts through her fog.

“Shiya?” she repeats the name as if in a daze, brow furrowing, wondering at how just a few syllables can drag the edge of a blade so deftly across her throat. She can feel herself bleeding out, she thinks. This is what it’s like to die. She draws in a sharp breath against the pain and then forces herself to look into the other’s eyes, searching the depths of them for an answer to a question she can’t force herself to ask.

For a second she is quiet, processing the words that at first had passed over her so easily.

He’s happier.

He’s smiling.

We’re expecting.

She should feel anger, jealousy, anything, but all she feels is agony.

“Why are you here?”

it's our dearest ally, it's our closest friend
    it's our darkest blackout, it's our final end

@[Shiya]
    [Image: avatar-1975.gif]
    the heaviness in my heart belongs to gravity
    Deep down all you want is love
    The pure kind we all dream of

She watches Leliana’s realization with smug contempt. A grin slowly creeps along the edges of her lips, but it doesn’t brighten her face with joy. Malevolence courses through her veins, a sick sense of pride at having buried a dagger in the girl’s heart. This would have never been on her agenda before, but Carnage changed her. Somehow, he both opened Shiya’s eyes while simultaneously creating a monster. Each foolish attempt to love had been futile, and she was so desperate to have someone. That only one was Vulgaris, but now he reeks of another and Shiya cannot fathom it.

She cannot allow it.

For a fleeting moment, she considers her play of innocence, but the urge flickers and wanes with the breeze. Unable to tether the whirl of emotions, Shiya takes a more direct approach now. Her sharp stare glances briefly to the riverbed before slipping back to the face of her crumbling future with Vulgaris. ”It’s a public place,” she quips, her lip curling to expose an elongated fang in disgust. But that is not truly why she is here, and Leliana has already discerned that. The tension building between them is thick, impenetrable by even the sharpest of knives. Their hearts are desperately wrapped around the same man, and while Shiya had always been meek and the first to back down, she doesn’t this time.

Uninterested in bridging her knowledge of this girl’s name – because her scent is all she needs – she resumes with a hasty flick of her tail. ”He was never truly yours,” the frigidity of her voice is startling, even to herself, but she doesn’t melt while the anger still burns inside her, fueling her. ”He has always been mine; he has only ever wanted me.” Shiya’s body turns to face her now, her stare stabbing, hooded and cruel. ”Stop trying to be a damn whore,” her hiss is poisonous thick with an unspoken threat, ”because you can never be what he needs.” Another stab of the knife, another twist of the blade as she tries desperately to sever the love they’ve built for one another.

”Stay the fuck away from him,” she snaps, edging closer. Leliana’s breath fans across her face, warm, sweet. They are near enough that she could see all the similarities Shiya shares with Vulgaris, how perfect they would be together, nearly mirror image. ”You have a child with him, yes?” She peeks venomously toward Leliana’s abdomen, ”and a second on the way.” She is thinking aloud, weighing the prospect, considering how Vulgaris would bathe in her own blood if she did anything to his kin.

But she cares only for herself, and only for her family that she is attempting to forge with him.

”I would hate to see anything happen to them because the selfish idiocy of their mother.”

SHIYA

But we cannot escape the past,
    so you and I will never last

original html by Jassal