• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

ALL HYALINE RESIDENTS.

Adria

I felt nothing at all, freedom of the fall

Late, forever late because she thinks she can fix the world’s problems.

Adria travels in the wake of the Kraken, feeling the wrongness of slime and hate in the water she commands to propel her forward. Warnings of creatures who slip from the deep should never go unheeded, and once risen to shore and out on dry land, Adria glances among those gathered only to stop and stare dead at Yidhra. What a creature, perhaps as ugly as she herself is beautiful, but that’s not her flaw. It seems she wants something from Hyaline and from Adria’s small recollection (mostly whispers around her) it seems that Kagerus and Solace intend to give.

Only one, a black mare seemingly inconsequential and yet willing to question, pipes up in front of where the seamare has come to stand. She wants to know who is this Kraken, this creature that would come and speak because Adria doesn’t know her either, and in her own quiet mind she asks the same question, who are you?

Monsters had long ago fled the shores of Ischia due to her powers combined with those of her mother, Nyxa, and it seems this is where they’ve begun to wash up. On the shores of a new home Adria has promised to keep safe. “Hear! Hear!” The timid Nereid agrees, stepping forward now to stand in solidarity alongside the black-skinned lady. Water streams in rivulets from every inch of her, soft scales still glint at her shoulders, and that accent … unmistakeable. An ocean horse facing another ocean-type horse.

“The water between Hyaline and the Cove knows no master.” She claims. It only recognizes those who wield it.

Tähti
    we are stars wrapped in skin

She makes a final swoop over the lake and zigzags between the mountains, before heading over to the Cove. It's easy now that her wings have fully grown (alright, not fully, but full enough to be able to fly this short distance).

When she lands, she does so very near the tentacled-mare, and scoffs at her just when Briseis asks the question she was about to ask (but less nicely). "Oh, don't ask for excuse." she tells the older mare with her head held high, and then stares at the ugly mare. "You're an intruder. If you don't have anyone to back you up, you should be thankful we might let you stay.... or not, since you're rude." She snaps, then looks at the others. Solace says they'll stay, and the raven-winged filly-mare nods.

"Hyaline was our home. If we want to be safe and offer sanctuary, we'll stay here. Or, you will. Someone has to defend the lake against... claimers. But I'm not willing to split up any further than that." She may be a bit aggressive in tone, but honestly, she doesn't like the tentacle mare at all. Brr. Gives her the feeling that she's only faking her friendliness. Slickery slippery.

the light you are searching
    has always been within
    ©Vanilla Custard

Sassy has arrived! Whoops.

There are ways in which she is or was exactly like them once, this is evidenced in the way her body stretches and shapes itself: in the lengthy limbs ending in hooves and all the bones well beneath the muscle and flesh: the clear understand of their tongue; but unlike them she is something ancient and bizarre, a thing that time has long forgotten about. Yidhra almost grins when their numbers grow, but, she lacks the lips to do so and instead can only clatter the chitinous beak in an overzealous clicking that could’ve been a mockery of laughter or simply a way to convey this amusement. She notes the vivacity they bring, the spark they all possess… and the fleshy tendril on her left shoulder is risen into the air- the paddle shaped end folding and curling beneath her tentacles maw as if to scratch an itch.

They demand and speak, they breathe and she notes the blaze and loyalty: the fear.

Those barbell shaped irises become so thin they are merely a black line amidst the teal and orange, and she looks to Solace and Kagerus with the free tendril looming in the air towards them: not for threat but merely to to reach down and coil into the rocky soil of the Cove: lifting what she could and allowing it to fall in a series of gentle thuds.

She listens, minds them: considers their youth and unknowing… and for a moment she is envious of their ignorance; but none of is ever shown, rather she turns and studies the leaders and then the gathered and all their ravenous maws and question. In a simply motion she steps from her elevated platform and saunters rather boldly across the Cove and towards the people. Breisis attracts her attention and she minds the question with a nod, as if to acknowledge. Yet she does not speak immediately, and gives the others a first chance to ask, to ponder: to respond.

Her movements are not equine truly, they are jaunty and perhaps too bizarre to describe, and she exists an an imperfect geometry. In the sun the porous flesh is gray and blue, and black: spattered and spotty in such a fashion that she looks as if her body might be stone or blackened coral; but it glistens with seawater and shudders as she continues to glide and slither about the rock area: studying and watching.

Adria, tahti- others, all people speaking and Yidhra places a hoof on stone: wandering close to both Solace and Kagerus as she sways. Tendrils snake along her body and she waits until she is closer to the leadership before addressing any, and all. A low purr rumbles in her throat and the mass of arms on her face does not part when she speaks: instead they bend and hang: keeping the beak hidden.

Water-logged and deep, the husky voice is found again and that tumtulous accent mangles syllables and slurs them into an oddly discomforting lilt. “Yee-tho-rah.” she speaks slowly at first to clarify pronunciation, but as she does there is a bizarre ripple of her skin: a pulsating shiver that brings a blackened slime to drip along the tendrils of her mouth. Inkey and grotesque, chunks of a bizarre and mealy sort of look linger in them… perhaps sand that has long coagulated in her body. “I am Yidhra,” she states this faster with her head bobbing to them.

“The water- the sea? That is without ruler: it will always be that way. You may swim in it; but it's never truly yours. Chaotic and old, more ancient than time… I’m certain you and I swim in two very different places of it.” she pauses- peering at Adria with her head turned, the tendrils parting to expose the blackened beak and a single one coiling around it before she ceases this gesture.

Adria reminds her of Ivar, the Kelpie, and she considers the woman’s form and frame: her shape and the smell of salt. “But Pangea is not in the sea, and that is where I lay domain for now: where this virulence began, where anyone who steps within becomes infected. The very land that lies south of the Cove and prevents all manner of land-based invasion from it.” poignant and clear she draws herself to full height, stands with an austerity that bears no malevolence; but rather the sheer veil of somehow tangible authority. 

To the smaller creature she peers at it, at Tahti- her gaze does not carry any emotion but rather she chatters her beak as she had before. “Your logic is flawed, to be clear I am no intruder- no more than you and the others; but my actions are hurried- and this is because you have all ignored the deepest truth of this contagion: something I offered not long ago.”

Had she been able to shrug, she may have; but rather she crosses her twin tendrils one her chest as if they were arms, and she looks to Solace and Kagerus, the latter particularly. “We can discuss details further in private; but I came here for purpose- not to poach, to work together. After all, consider if you will that I did not threaten anyone here; but yours were the first to say that I might be harmed here.”

Serpentine in a fashion she slithers to Kagerus- to the antlered woman and her unearthly and spiritual side: peering at the pair with her shoulders hefting into a shrug. “Nice rack.” she nods as if it is truth, but excuses her herself to look sidelong.

And with Kagerus’ calling, she leaves to go elsewhere- to discuss with the leaders rather than the mass. 

Yidhra

do you ever wonder...
    ...do you ever dream?

Velk's slumber is restless to say the least. The young steed could feel the toxic change in the air. Every sense fires a blaring alert that danger would be imminent; that everything he had ever known would change; that all of Hyaline's safety would be jeopardized. So, when the familiar voice of Kagerus bellows and beckons him to move, Velk wastes no time. Muscled haunches engage to push the two-toned lad into a steady jog. He finds a position among the masses and does not look back until his striped ivory hooves sink into the soft sands of Silver Cove. Blue gaze locates the bay overo and buckskin splash forms of his Queens, his mothers, so that he may take up post near them.

Cupped accoustics listen closely to Kagerus' words. A sorrow laces her tone but she stands strong and commands her audience. Velk always admired her poise and strength and, in these moments, she conveys both in her speech. Gaze darts to the unfamiliar mare and, a furrow appears in his brow as she suggests they travel right into the midst of the danger. He huffs once, distrusting and suspicious of her intentions before other Hyalinans chime in, and reassure him of the where the majority stand.

He finds space in the conversation and, quickly, offers his thoughts. "I, Velk, am heartbroken that the only home I have ever known is no longer safe..." He permits his voice to trail off as the full impact of that statement resonates within him and, he is certain, within others. "I am grateful for Hyaline's protection thus far and, fully intend to return the favor when I am ready. I do not think it wise to travel so far from home. I think it irresponsible of us to leave these sheltered borders, risk contracting the plague and, subsequently, pose as risks to infect the remainder of Beqanna. I do not wish to abandon Hyaline; however, I recognize that my healing power is of no use if I become ill. I elect to stay in Silver Cove, alongside Kagerus, training and buuilding my strength so I am ready to offer my gift when needed."

Velk

I whole-heartedly apologize for the delay <3
    It was nearly just yesterday the younger equines of Hyaline were on the beach playing games. But since then chaos has broken out throughout all of beqanna, a plague threatening all equines who leave the set "safe zones".

Kagerus called out throuought Hyaline after the faeries announced there anger, she urged everyone to make there way to silver cove. It was a new land, there safe zone. Clayton obeys his queen, as he follows the crowd he searches for Warlight, where was she? Why wasn't she here yet? The two hadn't had a chance to talk since the beach party, but his heart ached for her safety at this point.

He was late to the gathering but it appears an equine who was not resident has made there way to silver cove as well. He did not know every member, and it was hard to pick up the kingdom scent with all the fear flowing around.

Both queens were here, Tähti and Velk....but Warlight was still missing. He remained quiet as the others spoke, some out of fear. Tähti is what suprised him, noting the stranger should leave. Velk piped up discussing his healing powers, that he should remain in silver cove readily available to heal others. A warm smile came to his maw as Velk spoke, having been healed by him before.

He steps closer to the group and finds a spot close to Velk We are a sanctuary kingdom, we should allow all equines to stay here. Some equines will have been misplaced, and we can provide them protection, we shouldn't be throwing anyone out so quickly. He snorts, fear can cause a lot of decisions that could later be regretted. His head turns to Velk I think it is honorable of you to stay here, I am going to head back out and look for the remaining Hyaline members, if any others want to join me they are free too. What he really wanted to say was, I'm going to find Warlight, but he would help any equine he finds. He knows the risk, he heard the warning from the faeries, but they couldnt hide forever. With the ending of his announcement he creeped farther from the group, looking back to see if any others wanted to join him.
    [Image: clayton_by_cowgirlconrad-dcmmo18.png]

Knaught heads towards Clayton after hearing his opinion. “Clayton, I hope if you don’t mind me coming with you. I want to help. I am aware of the risks, but the benefits are better.” He tells him. “I’m Knaught, I don’t know if you know me.”

Knaught follows Clayton out of the group and towards Hyaline. He sighs deeply but softly, hoping the decision he’s making won’t haunt him forever. If he gets sick, he can get better, right? At least,
    That’s what he hopes.

@Clayton
    Kagerus
    { and in my dreams I've kissed your lips a thousand times }

The arrival of the sea creature is, in fact, one which lends itself not to worry or distress but to near-laughter. Of all the things that could happen, a betentacled usurper happens to be the last on my list of 'things expected or prepared for.' It's not out of disrespect that I must stifle my glee as the monster drones on about her plans for Pangea - in truth, I am stowing the information rather carefully; but in the heat of the moment as the threat of the plague looms above us all, she seems entirely comical.

She offers a final comment of peace, and it is all I can do to dip my head in acknowledgement. My withers twitch against Solace's wing, the only show of discomfort and mania in this shitshow; but our true members begin speaking next, and their steadfastness soothes my disquieted soul.

Litotes, a relatively young newcomer (though hadn't Solace began her rule at age 4?) offers himself up to the dangers of Hyaline, pledging himself and his efforts to her cause. My eyes find his and hold them, a knowing look exchanging between us; my children tell me things, and I know of his connections to them and others... One other who includes she who comes forward next. Kensa, also young, and yet already an invaluable asset to the kingdom. As I listen to her speak so fondly of our mountainous kingdom, I see something of a leader inside of her; my heart squeezes, and I blink softly in her direction. She, too, pledges herself to the subkingdom. I bow my head once more, silent for now as everyone speaks.

Kiko raises her voice, another newcomer. She mentions wanting to do anything she can, and I decide to take up the offer. "Kiko," I say through the crowd, finding her gaze among the many which have gathered. "I think your efforts would be best pointed towards Silver Cove. You have a motherliness about you, and the children who call The Sanctuary home will be glad to have you to comfort them."

Speaking of young, scared children, a filly whom I have heard a lifetime's worth of stories about comes forth next. Dawn, or Dawny as I remember her called by my son. I yearn to go to her as panic overwhelms her, causing her voice to tremble. A thread of guilt runs through me knowing that Rhaegor has left her here, thanks to some unforeseen circumstances involving a particularly harsh ambassador... But Ilma is not entirely to blame for the eldest prince's departure, for I know too that he holds a fondness for Magnus, which I encourage wholeheartedly.

I yearn to go to her, but my wife - the mother of our children - beats me to it, able to respond more naturally to her comforting instincts than I. She presses herself to the young girl, but what happens next surprises eve me; with a gentleness only she could call forth, threads of light begin piercing the darkening sky - and before I know what is happening, a beacon of hope and strength beams from her skin, speaking of a sanctuary and of a refuge to any who may need it. I watch, in awe, as this happens. Tears come to my eyes - and indeed, they drop.

There is no shame in showing emotions. Those gathered here will not think me weak for it.

Lowering my head from where it had been craned to gaze upon the beacon, I look towards Dawn, and speak momentarily to her alone. "Rhaegor is in Tephra, Dawn. But he will come to find you soon. I promise. For now, the Cove will keep you safe."

Knaught, yet another new face, speaks to Solace next. He offers himself up as a sacrifice to the Sanctuary, punctuating his speech with an elegant bow; my lips curl up warmly upon seeing this, and I in turn nod my antlered head to him. The handsome stallion will be useful in the upcoming months, I know it already.

At long last, it is a long-term resident coming forward to join the group. I eye Briseis keenly, knowing to expect something out of the ordinary from our resident mustang. Although she presents as perhaps the most regular horse in the history of Beqanna (untraited, unspectacular, and reliably horse-ish), something about the ruddy little mare that I'd brought to Hyaline some years ago screams resiliency and spitfire. When she accuses the nameless mare of not introducing herself and not belonging, I can't help but to quirk a brow and to chuckle. "Good Briseis - I am glad to see you still here. Will you remain in the Cove? And where is that daughter of yours?" I crane my neck to try and see Chryseis, but the gold-faced filly is nowhere to be found.

Some of the children are emancipating themselves already, it would seem.

Alas, we are a kingdom made of young blood, and Adria's appearance reaffirms that fact. I smile upon seeing the Nereid, she whom I had met some months ago in a sea of grass. Panthera, who lays with her head upon her paws to my left, lifts her tawny head and looks with her piercing amber gaze towards the shifter; but she soon becomes disinterested and resumes her relaxed stance. I, however, continue to observe with a keen gaze. She also chooses to take interest in Yidhra alone, and I find myself needing to voice similar question; but another face comes along who would like to take arms against the monstress.

Tähti. A  yearling yet again due to an accident that Warlight had briefly described to her mother and I some time ago, though in truth her soul is nigh on three or four years now. With this in consideration, I take her words with more maturity than they appear to come, what with her body being so new and fresh. Still, she at least deigns to answer her Caretaker's proposals, to which I am eager to reply. I will be speaking to Yidhra after this - the fact that she decided to come and have everyone spit in her face is of no concern to me. She inserted herself somewhere she does not quite belong and will suffer the consequences of this.

"Tähti - you are welcome to take up post in Hyaline or the Cove, whichever you feel more called to. We will indeed be needing protection from claimers; but we also need to keep this land safe, too. Your diligence is recognized." I dip my head to her, then look to the last mare, she whom I had not been able to address just yet. "And Adria - you are welcome to both lands too. I know the water calls to you - there are two small lakes in this kingdom, but you know yourself best. I trust you to choose wisely."

As my words fade, the creature among us who should not have joined chooses to have her final say - a wise move if I do say so myself. Although she doesn't belong, the creature - Yee-Tho-Rah - demands a certain respect and authority, qualities which do not go unnoticed by me. She moves also with an unearthliness, sending invisible shivers through my bones - as she slides closer, my gut clenches, wishing Solace were closer. But I raise my mutilated face in defiance of the creature's arrogance, wondering if her eyes will snag on the cleft which mars my face and ruins what might have been my beauty.

She speaks poetically of the sea, a topic which only interests Adria at the present. Then, she offers tactical advice, mentioning the geographic placement of Pangea in relation to Hyaline, a fact which I stow away for later. She offers border protection now, but the fact remains that she is not yet the assured leader of the realm she so wishes to be... Nothing is sure now, except perhaps the fact that The Sanctuary represents the largest number of equines across all of the kingdoms in all of Beqanna. That alone should lend the kraken some humility - but of course, it does not.

At long last, the mare - if you can call her that - turns to Solace and I, addressing us directly. Her voice - water logged and ancient - spins together into words of peace and harmony, though I am wary to accept them without further inspection. As such, I simply nod my head to her when she proposes a private meeting, knowing that I will be pursuing her after this. When she comes closer and dares to spit profanity disguised as flirtation my way, my ears pin to my skull and my chin lifts, eyes purposefully looking above and beyond the kraken in unhidden disgust. Otherwise, no reaction is given to her presence; and when she leaves, I simply lower my head and continue to gaze upon those gathered.

Our son speaks next, the only one of our children who has blessed us with their presence here today. I turn my head towards Velk, the stoicism left on my face because of Yidhra melting into something more calm and nurturing. When he pledges himself to the Cove alone, I can't help but to smile and to step to him, pressing my muzzle to the base of his shoulder in a show of gratitude and respect. "You have grown into a stallion far beyond what your mother and I could have hoped for," I murmur to him privately, such that none other might hear. "I am proud of you, son."

Stepping back, I give him a small nod of my head before looking back to the crowd. "Velk and I will remain here, in the Cove. If the Gods are on our sides, his healing may be powerful enough to heal the plague-ridden. For now, if you contract the plague, you may find both of us to relieve your symptoms.

A romance of Warlight's approaches next, a horned boy by the name of Clayton. I listen as he proclaims The Sanctuary's principles, nodding in agreement to all that he says. Before he turns to go - with Knaught in tow, he being eager and able to perform duties outside of the Cove - I step forward, indicating that I would like to speak. When he pauses, I do. "Be careful, Clayton and Knaught. And beware: though we are a Sanctuary, this sickness is bound to give rise to evils we have not seen in decades. Do not offer our kingdom to those whose presence does not sit well with you: if they strike you as untrustworthy, then best to leave them to other safelands."

At last, it would seem that we have no more interruptions. My eyes briefly find Solace's, and from their bright cerulean depths I draw what strength I can, needing to make a final remark to the many gathered figures.

"We can continue to discuss this at length if you would like, but please note that the following changes are being made to The Sanctuary's council. Kensa," I look to the liver chestnut. "You are being appointed the Ambassador of Hyaline, making you third below your Cartakers, and Ilma, who is away in Tephra and should be here soon. Your efforts to recruit and your passion for Hyaline have not gone unnoticed. Thank you."

My eyes go next to the stallion who has claims on many hearts, but mostly, on his duties. "Litotes, you will become The Sanctuary's General. Warrick has elected to return to Tephra in light of some changes occurring there... Lie, your efforts to mock and your passion for Hyaline have not gone unnoticed. Thank you."

Lastly, I speak to the crowd at large. "Many of you have been assigned to new ranks within The Sanctuary. Although chaos is at our doorsteps, know that activity will still be rewarded in this new world. With the recent influx of members, we have expanded the castes to three-tiers."

"Any more comments or questions?"

If you don't want to read it all, I suggest using control+F to find your character's name to see how she replied to each of you.
    [Image: kag]
    dreamweaver
    Late, late, always late for something.

It’s almost a twisted joke that Kota is even part of this Sanctuary business. Her personality, her general way of thinking serves polar opposite theories. She doesn’t dwell on it though because for some unknown reason some nostalgic thing, some homesick parasite is fed by her loyalty to the Lake-people and she’s always been a glutton for such things.

The beacon is what draws her, for she missed the wave of herd movement that pulled the first load of Hyaline residents Eastward to the Cove. The chilly wind washes over her pale pinkish skin, the sea-mist thick on its currents. She didn’t dislike it at all. 

Beqanna writhes and wails, Kota can feel it – she knows vaguely what is happening, enough to know everything is bacteria lava, anyway. She keeps her ribbons of healing light tucked far from strangers, and hardly knows if it would help anyway. She may need it for the Lake-folk, so best not to waste it on anyone else.

Her lip visibly curls when the clicking, slithery, tentacled animal makes its way passed her. It’s unemotional, moving off as if a ghost, making Kota wonder if she really even saw it. The only evidence to it not being a figment is the sharp atmosphere the pale mare walks into – the shards of whatever the thing had said to them before slithering (walking) off. She didn’t question it, but took her place off from the others, letting her crystal-blue eyes fall on the Queen (Kag) n she is familiar with, and secondly the one she is not. “Is anyone here infected?” She asks with a smooth glass voice, direct and without softness. She leaves the question to linger, her gaze drifting from face to face. 
    Kota
    those great whites,
    they have big teeth

i didn't spell check like at all because im lazy
    and im genuinely sorry you have to put up with me

also sorry i late guys 8D

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

She let herself be delayed, but she isn't quite sorry. Her meeting with Jude was insightful, as much as conversing with Magnus had been pleasant. Sure that the two sanctuaries can proudly call themselves allies, she had waited till the next dawn to fly again, and explore the land as a whole.

There's a blue light shot towards the sky when she arrives in Hyaline - and she only arrives after Kota does. The healer would be most tried in these times, Ilma would think; when Kagerus asks for questions the mare already asks around for sick horses, and the white mare smiles at her with a thankful dip of her head. Looking around the gathering, she silently counts heads - a slight frown when she doesn't see Rhaegor, but no words follow yet - perhaps he had just not been in Hyaline today, seeking out another friend instead. Still, she doubts herself a moment. She hadn't said anything harsh had she? She pains her memories to go over her words again, but she doesn't think so. He still might have gotten her intentions wrong but, well, he could have done at least something to make this known to her, could he not? Besides running away?

Another one is missing, Chryseis - but last that Ilma has seen her, was northbound to Nerine, and perhaps it had grown on the filly. She was an adventurous type, and like her own daughter, the blue roan girl might stick around with the Leviathans a bit more, rather than hang around in Hyaline. It wasn't for Ilma to decide - sometimes young horses just found another kingdom suiting their needs better.

All of the young horses are eager to help, she sees - Clayton and Knaught almost on the point of already leaving, wanting to hurry about their tasks mayhaps. They will find soon enough that life will tone them down, but she smiles at them in passing nonetheless.

She waits for Kagerus to be surely finished however. She doesn't want or need to interrupt, instead looking to her and Solace, awaiting further questions like Kota's. But none follow, she she addresses her issue to the queens. "I'll be out, looking for those who need sanctuary most of all. But tell me, how do I address our kingdom now? We're no longer Hyaline, but I'm loath to tell any new refugee we're the only choice - Tephra is another, and especially with Magnus as our ally, it feels wrong to neglect their function as a sanctuary as well." Cocking her head a little, she looks to the queens. "Perhaps Sanctuary of the East, or of the Silver Cove, should we have a whole different name like the Leviathans do?" Nothing so forceful, of course. But still, worth the question. She could just say Sanctuary of the Silver Cove, which would work too. But it would leave out Hyaline's former name, which is what they had been known for, for so long.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

Ilma is super late hello and thank you for still keeping tab on this if you are reading
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time