• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  [All of Tephra] I burned your world away, devoured by my conviction;

I wanna give you wild love, the kind that never slows down
    I wanna take you high up let our hearts be the only sound

Magnus is observant as the meeting unfolds. He has been a part of these so many times now that it hardly phases him. While he feels the fear still roiling in his belly and his concern rippling through his nerves, he doesn’t let it out of its cage. His gold-flecked eyes smolder beneath the ink of his forelock and he watches as the rest of his kingdom begins to make their way toward him. The first to arrive is the silent boy he first met in the field, the boy of Hyaline who had recently struck out on his own to Tephra.

One corner of Magnus’ lacerated lips curl as the boy walks up to him, holding his gaze steady as the wind blows and then dies, as the boy slides into a bow. Appreciative of the gesture, Magnus leans down to bump his nose against the other, waiting until he rises. “I will do my best for you,” he whispers the words, intending them only for the golden boy, “but you never need to bow to me. Never bow to anyone, prince.”

Then his attention is stolen by Levi, the son of his once comrade in arms.

He nods toward him, not taking the trust lightly.

When Kromium turns, accusing him of holding back his true intentions, Magnus’ mouth quirks. “I never withheld from you. You simply misunderstood.” From the very beginning of Tephra, back to his time in the Gates, Magnus had always advocated for a haven as a kingdom. He had always called for open borders, even during time of war. But there’s a difference between a haven of a kingdom and a common land where people reside, and the difference lies in intent. “Kingdoms fall from internal strife when there is weakness, Kromium. Your ideals of a safe home for your family are noble, but if you simply seek to live here without taking the mantle of leadership seriously then you invite darkness into our home.”

He shakes his head, snorting. “Beqanna reclaims lands that grow languid beneath negligent hands. Those with ill intent will view it as an invitation, a weak land with no way of defending itself. I’ve seen it happen before. Tephra is not, has never been, a common land. It is not the meadow. It is not just a beautiful place to raise a family, and leaders have a responsibility to her. To keep her active. To keep her strong. If you seek a quiet life to live peacefully amongst your family, I do not hold it against you, but I refuse to stand by and let Tephra slip into the ocean because she was not actively guarded and protected.”

Magnus had grown up in kingdoms, raised by a Queen and a King of old. He had been taught the lessons of leadership at their knee. Taught that to be a leader, it meant you needed to work. You needed to sacrifice. Leadership was not just a title but a responsibility that weighed heavily on the shoulders of those who would bear it. It was the work ethic instilled in him from a young age. The work ethic that led him to the field every day. That led to him patrolling the borders every day. That meant little rest so those who did live within his land could rest easily, could take pride in a land filled with activity and peace.

He had never taken kindly to leaders, rulers or not, who did not subscribe to the same philosophy.

As Kromium turns to leave, Magnus snorts again. “You would abandon your people during a difficult conversation? You would let her crumble internally to turn your vision outward? We should, we will, offer our help where it is needed, but it means nothing if we do not first take care of our own.” He shakes his head, offering one last thing to them. “You are always welcome here. Just because there has been disagreement with your vision for the land does not mean ill-will. Tephra can remain your home.”

Still, he lets his anger simmer, reclaiming his hold on it, sighing as the stallion and his family turn and leave the group. Disappointed, he turns back to those who remain with him. He smiles as Jude arrives and reaches out to brush his muzzle against her cheek. He listens as Aysel speaks again and nods in agreement with her, proud of her for stepping in so quickly to help the land, strengthening it with her presence.

At her next statement, his golden eyes brighten. He has always loved children.

The idea of having his own once more?

It was delightful. It was terrifying at a time like this.

It meant everything he did now meant more than ever.

When she is quiet, he takes a small step forward addressing all of them.

“We have a lot of work ahead of us. We are more active than we have been, but we will need to fight to keep this land—this home—safe. I agree with Aysel that we will need to venture out, first, to those lands that surround us. If any wish to accompany me on these journeys, I would love the company, but you are more than welcome to rest here and take care of your family first.” His face grows more serious. “For now, I will be reinstating a central caste for those who wish to join. Diplomats and solders are welcome to join it should they wish, although you are more than welcome to just continue living here.”

Just because Magnus meant to take on the workload did not mean he expected the same of those who called her home. He was happy to have people live with their families within Tephra without expecting them to work for her. “I will also be opening up three Council positions for those who are interested. This will include a Head of War, a Head of Peace, and one more Adviser position. If you would like to partake in helping lead and shape this land, let me know.” Another pause as the wind begins to pick up around them. Magnus feels the enormity of responsibility settle once more into him and he takes a deep breath, steadying himself for the days to come, the weeks of chaos that stretch ahead of them.

“Does anyone else have anything to add? If not, there’s a lot for us to do.”

I will not fail you, he thinks, but he doesn’t say.

Let him show it through his work. Let him prove it.

I wanna go where the lights burn low and you're only mine

[Image: gqYjsHr.png]