• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  I don't take back what I say; KERBEROS

The night is dark...
    I swear I could feel the sickness as it crept through the land. I could feel it all around me and a fear I hadn’t ever known curdled in my stomach. I heard the fairies in my head, telling us all where to go, but I’ll be damned if I am leaving this place without seeing if Kerberos and Kali were still around. I wasn’t going to leave them behind again. I narrow my eyes, using the determination to strike out the fear, to push it back and down until I can tolerate it. I move along the shore deciding that I was going to have to push back in through the branches and see if I could see him there. 

I paused and took a long look out over the water, remembering times that had past when I notice the faint smudge of land where there hadn’t been land before. That must be the new island, or one of them. Well, I would give the island a once more over and hope that I found him. If not, maybe I would check there next, see if he had managed to get there first. 

Turn back towards the green, moving through the brush with an increased urgency to my pace. It was some time before I heard him. I sighed with relief, rushing through the land little bit of green that separated us. I could see him through the greens now. “Kerb!” I stumble a bit over a root before regaining my pace and finally get through the jungle greens to wrap him up in a hug. “Apparently I have shitty timing for a reunion.” I say with a small laugh, but I step back and take him in.

Mmm, felt that familiar fire whenever I saw him and had to push it back down. Definitely was not the time...even if I wanted it to be. “Where’s the kids?” A quick look around him. I had assumed he would be well on his way to gathering them all up and moving them someplace else.
    ...and full of terrors.
    I have them, Dad. It’s time to go. Please hurry.

Thank fuck for Kharon’s magic brain. Gods only knew where he’d stumbled across that beautiful bit of magic, but it had made tracking down their family a hell of a lot easier. Relief washed over Kirby as Kharon’s voice filled his head, and he gave up his frantic hunt to turn and head to the safe place they’d picked out.

He was deep in Ischia’s jungle terrain when he heard Kharon’s call, so it took some time getting out and making his way toward the shore. Maybe halfway there, he bumped straight into an old, familiar face. “Holy shit. Roma.” She wrapped him up in a hug before he could so much as blink, and he hugged her back automatically.

“What--hi. Okay, nah babe, you’ve got good timing. Any later and you’d’ve missed us all. Kids are on their way to the next island over, I guess it’s a safe place from the plague and shit. Kharon got everybody rounded up, the damn angel,” he explained, chest puffing up with pride over his fabulous son and how good a job he was doing taking care of the family, “and I’m on my way to meet them. You comin’ with me, then?”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.

The night is dark...
    I stamped down the worry that bubbled in my belly as he spoke. It disapparated some, falling away the more that he spoke. I knew that his kids were his life and as such, that made them important to me. Mine or not, whether or not I knew them, they were his and that was all I needed. I laughed a little, my lips curling into a smile as the tone of his voice washed over me. It wasn’t especially anything special.

I had just missed him.

A small head tilt, with ears flickering and I nodded slightly. “Sure. Lead on.” I turned to follow him, and if my eyes happened to fall on his delicious rear end in front of me as he pushed through the thick jungle terrain, well I wasn’t going to say anything. A small smile stayed on my lips, even when we broke free of the jungle and stepped onto the shore. “It’s good to see you again.”

I turned back to the island I had seen in the distance. I don’t say anything but turn to look back at Kerberos with a wicked grin. “Wanna see who can make it there first?” My wings stretching out over his back before I started running towards the shore and then take off, my hooves splashing a bit of water up my legs before I got enough air beneath my wings to fly.

...and full of terrors.
    Kirby nodded and headed for the shore, breaking their path through the foliage. He was gonna charge for the water the second they broke free, way too caught up in worrying over his horde of purple descendants to stand around for long. Rom struck up conversation though, if only briefly, and he smiled a distracted smile until the words sank in. Then he grinned and looked at her and said, “It’s good to see you too, Rom.”

He followed her gaze, turning to look at the distant island, scanning the water between for any sign of purple, scanning the sky above for Kharon. Maybe he’d meant he had them all safe on the island already, ‘cause Kirb didn’t see anyone in the sky or on the sea. You go, I’ll be right there, just gotta make sure they’re all safe, he almost blurted out. Nah, but Kharon had said he had all of them. “Yeah, okay. I’ll race you, sure,” he said, and managed another rakish grin.

But still. Instead of immediately charging onto the surface of the water as she took off, he held back, did one last pass along the shore to see if there were any stragglers needing a ride across to safety. Just ‘cause his brood could walk on water didn’t mean anyone else might not be in need of a ferryman.

((If anybody does need a ride across to Island Resort, let me know, Kirby’s 100% down.))
    Bite my shiny metal ass.