• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  call me the world's sexiest killing machine; kharon
    Kirby caught Kharon after one of his reluctant trade-offs, handing Kali over to their momma even though he wanted to stay right by her side. Good kid, letting Mom get a turn. And they had been taking turns, somebody staying with her and cuddling her at all times. Gods knew she’d needed it. Poor baby still hadn’t spoken a word, still clung tight to whoever was watching over her, still got especially distressed if any of them were gone for too long.

Broke his fuckin’ heart. All he wanted to do was make it better for his baby, for all his babies, but there was only so much one man could do against the whole fuckin’ world, and if he left to try and help make the world safe again, it’d only scare the everliving fuck out of her the whole time. So he took his turns holding her and fussing over her, tucking her up against him and snuggling her the way they both needed.

But it was Lacey’s turn now, and Kirby wanted some time with his boy. So he caught Kharon’s eye and nodded him over, started walking deeper into the island. Might as well get to know the place while they were here.

As they walked, he gently bumped his shoulder against Kharon’s. Did I mention yet how fucking proud I am of you? he asked with a sneaky grin Kharon’s way. You kicked ass in a crisis, coordinated that move brilliantly, and way the fuck faster than I could’ve, and helped keep everyone we love safe. There’s nobody I’d rather have with me when shit hits the fan. You’re pretty fuckin’ phenomenal, you know that?

Of course, that wasn’t all. He was damn proud of Kharon, for sure, but there was more to talk about. So much had changed while they’d been gone, and if it’d left Kirby reeling, he could only imagine how hard it must be for Kharon, who had always been so close to his twin. How are you doing, son?
    Bite my shiny metal ass.
    kharon

oh baby, I have not been kind

He was feeling a bit listless, a bit lost. And empty. Staring out at... Well, he wasn't even sure, really. It didn't matter.

Dad managed to get his attention though, nodding him over a ways away from everyone else. He blinked, then put himself in motion, head bobbing with each heavy step. He walked silently with Dad. He was usually thrilled to have time with him. Dad was completely perfect, just like Mom thought. It was just hard to be enthused about much anymore lately. He was probably the happiest he had been, though.

He smiled a little for Dad, quietly basking in his praise. Dad definitely would've done better at it though, if he hadn't already been so busy with searching for the family to let them know which way they were all going. It was still so nice to hear, filling him with this crazy amount of warmth. Phenomenal, like dad.

"Yeah," he replied aloud softly, giving a gentle touch to Dad's shoulder. "Like you." Even Mom would've agreed, not that anyone knew it.

How are you doing, son?

His face flattened and he looked ahead again. Shrugged. Dad hadn't liked how close he had been with Kylin, how he'd watched her. He probably thought Kharon had done as he said and backed off. And he had. He had. It had been so hard, even snuggled up to Dad at night instead. So damn hard. Painful. As if he'd had to cut his own wings off.

It's hard, he told him, because Dad wouldn't believe him if he said he was fine. None of them were fine. I'll be fine. He'd lost his sister, his other half. A stranger now stood in her place, with her beauty. Her voice, her thoughts. And her kids.

How about you? he asked, tilting his head to look at him.

I wish I could scrape away the dirt that's on my mind

Quotes are speech. Italics are telepathy
    Kirby grinned and nudged his son’s shoulder right back. “Damn right, like me.” Like him in all the right ways, and like his gorgeous momma too, though thoughts of his momma dimmed Kirb’s grin some. Never really knew what to do with her, it seemed. Like he could try his best and only make things worse there. Or at least no better. He glanced Kharon’s way, almost opened his mouth to ask--nah. Not fair to bring him into things, and it’d be cheating anyhow. If he couldn’t figure out how to make things better there, that was on him. He’d take care of it. Somehow.

More immediate a concern was how everyone was handling the crazy amount of change that had flooded them in such a short time. He nodded, agreeing wholeheartedly. It sure as fuck was hard, and he still wasn’t sure what it all meant for them. He wasn’t really much of one to fret about the future, but he knew all his kids were hurting, and it was hard for him too.

“It’s okay to not be fine, son. No one’s expecting you to just walk it off. It’s a lot to deal with, for all of us sure, but I’m guessing for the two of you most of all.” They were twins. Kirby couldn’t imagine what that was like, to have someone that close, someone you thought you’d walk through life with, take on whatever life had to throw at you together, and then to suddenly be so far removed from that…I’m here if you need to talk is all, okay?

Kirby sighed when Kharon turned it back on him, took a deep breath and looked up at the sky. Same sky as it had always been, and that was almost more jarring than seeing a completely different sky overhead. It felt like they’d traveled to some alternate dimension, or were caught up in some bizarre dream.

“I dunno, kid. I’m having a hard time of it. Baby girl’s all grown up with babies the age she was a week ago. I’m a grandpa? And to kids who are hell, half my age? Less? It’s a lot.” And that was before the plague hit and everything else got thrown into chaos. “Glad your mom’s okay and home safe though, and Reilly and Baddie.” They’d just have to roll with it and hope for the best. Which was not as reassuring as it usually was.
    Bite my shiny metal ass.
    kharon

He listened. Because he always did, couldn't help it. But so often people changed their minds or thought things they later wouldn't mean or a great number of things could alter what he heard and the truth behind any of it. Thoughts were always changing. So he didn't press when Dad didn't ask something.

Dad sympathized that he and Kylin had a hard adjustment to go through. As twins. So maybe he'd done a good job at hiding his feelings, at putting distance between them. At trying to be good, for Dad. But it hurt far deeper than just losing his sister or his twin. Maybe he was a little like Mom, and maybe he sort of lost a possible life. He'd already known it hurt so badly, but he hadn't had to feel it before. Only hear it.

I'm here if you need to talk is all, okay?
    He nodded. But he couldn't really be here for Kharon. Nobody could.

He listened again, this time as Dad spoke aloud to him. Kharon hated that he was having a hard time. Dad was his favorite person, basically. He wanted to be just like him. He'd always wanted to be just like him. And he wanted him happy. Yes, Mom and Reilly and Badden were safe too. Everyone was. Dad's friend too.

His wings rustled and he draped one across Dad's back, nestling into that solid, warm metal and rubbing his cheek on his neck. I'm here for you too, you know. This is the easy stuff, really. We're all alive. And together. He breathed him in and sighed, turned his face to leave an affectionate kiss on Dad's skin, pulling back and grinning wide at the fog of breath that polished him. He loved doing that when he was little. Never gets old.

See? He supposed they were all the same. Just strange ages and events now. And a larger number of them. More family for them to get to know and love. A lot more people around them.

His head was starting to hurt. But he'd get used to it.
    "It's nice here," he told him with a glance around as they walked. "It's close enough to home to be alright for a while. And we'll go home again soon." When it was safe again.

Kirby nestled a little closer to his boy in turn and he sighed, a soft little exhale as that warmth wrapped around him, comforting and supportive. He drew iron up from the earth as they walked, stretched it out into a wing of his own, thin and as light as he could make it, and draped it over Kharon in turn.

“You’re right,” he said softly, nodding. “This is the easy part. We’re here, we’re safe, and none of us are missing anymore. All back together, and we can figure it out.” Rebuild what was broken, maybe into something new but it wasn’t like it was lost. Not entirely, not really.

Just so very different.

He grinned as Kharon kissed his skin, breathing out and leaving fog behind on his shiny surface just like he’d done when he was little. Huffed out a breath of laughter and rubbed his face against Kharon’s neck. Such a good son, growing up into such a good man. Kirby couldn’t be prouder if he tried.

“Yeah. It’s a nice island, pretty, new place to see. Not so different from exploring one of Ischia’s smaller islands, right? Still lots of water, and the weather’s gorgeous. It’s just a really nice vacation spot, and we’ll be home before we know it.” He hoped. “Maybe make some new friends in the meantime, get to know the neighbors.”

After all, Kali didn’t have anywhere to run off and visit now with Taiga being a hellscape and Ruan--oh. Shit. He should find out what happened. Ugh. One crisis at a time. For now he’d have to hope his friend was well, ‘cause he sure as shit wasn’t putting his kids at risk going off hunting for him ‘til this damn plague blew over.

Anyhow.

“I’m really proud of you for the way you’ve stepped up to help take care of our family, son. Just don’t forget to take care of yourself too, okay? This island’s one of just a few safe places, so it might get kinda crowded. Probably gonna be important to find places where you can withdraw and recharge, you know?”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.
    kharon

He smiled when Dad wrapped him up in an iron wing too. God, he was the greatest, really. He didn't know what he'd do without him. And he loved how Dad grinned at him when he breathed on his shiny skin, and loved more when he rubbed his face against Kharon's neck. Damn, he loved him so much. Couldn't even express it.

He nodded agreement as Dad spoke, figuring it'd be nice to meet new people, new neighbors. They both did love meeting people. And of course they loved showing off how damn gorgeous they were. Who wouldn't want to see them, really?

Dad's thoughts turned to Uncle Ru and Kharon's face lost it's radiant glee. He nodded to those thoughts too, though. One thing at a time. I'm sure he's safe somewhere.. Dad and Kali had known him better, but from what he'd heard the guy basically wouldn't go down for anything. He liked that. Real damn tough, maybe. I can ask around about him. In case someone has seen him on their way into the haven? Or just read their thoughts, but thoughts typically needed a direction for such specific information.

"I'm really proud of you for the way you've stepped up to help take care of our family, son." He beamed softly at him, flooded with warmth and pride at Dad's praise. He only did what Dad was already doing, though. Only followed his lead. "The island's one of just a few safe places, so it might get kinda crowded. Probably gonna be important to find places where you can withdraw and recharge, you know?"

He nodded again, falling solemn and looking ahead again as they walked. "I.." Well, he didn't really want to say. "I'll keep that in mind," he pushed a smile to him. "Some time away in another safe haven, maybe." But he didn't want to go anywhere if he could help it. Meeting people was nice, but he wasn't his old self anymore. And his family was here. Kylin and Kali. Mom and Reilly and Baddie. And Dad was here. All he needed was all right here.

"I want to be here for Kali, though. She needs me."
    He needed her.

Kirby nuzzled his kid again, nodding. Thanks, love, I’d like that. It would be nice to know what happened to him. I was too focused on getting you and Kali safe to worry about him at the time, and maybe it’s too late now to do a damn bit of good. But if you do hear anything, I’d be damn grateful.

They walked together, and Kirby barely made a pretense of taking in their surroundings, far more focused on the conversation than anything outside of them. Not that the island wasn’t beautiful or worth looking at or whatever, but like look at the two of them. They were stunning. Kid was growing up into the spitting image of his old man, thank you very much, and clearly better than any scenery.

But seriously, the conversation was more important than the view, and pretty much his kid had his full focus anytime he wanted it.

“Time away works too, I mostly just meant like find places here on the island you can retreat to. Not far enough away, though?” Fair, Kirby didn’t really know the range or the extent of Kharon’s magic brain powers and all. Maybe there wasn’t anywhere on the island he could go to get some quiet. Kirby knew he used to go hang out on the cliffs on Ischia to get some peace, but Ischia had never been too dreadfully occupied either.

“Whatever you need though, okay? If it’s too much, you say the word, baby, and we’ll figure something out. If Kali’s up for it and you don’t wanna leave her behind, maybe you can take her along on a little trip somewhere quiet and safe. Unless that defeats the point of getting away. You take such good care of her, son, that’s another thing. You’re a great brother, and she’s lucky to have you. Your mom and I are here and happy to take her anytime you need a break, but you’re right, she does really well when you’re with her.” Kid had really stepped up, and Kirby was just fuckin' brimming with pride.
    Bite my shiny metal ass.
    kharon

He nodded. He'd try to find information on Uncle Ruan. Hopefully, the guy was still alive and well and could come to see Kali and Dad. Maybe that might help bring her out of this prolonged silence.

He gave Dad a sad sort of smile and nodded. Sure, he'd try to find a place that was restful when it got too bad in his head, too loud. He hadn't ever told anyone the range of his telepathy and would likely always keep it to himself. It was better that way. Maybe he wasn't completely sure of the range himself anyway. Maybe it varied depending on the situation at hand or his surroundings or his emotions.

"Whatever you need though, okay?" He nodded once again as Dad continued. They could get away and take Kali with them so she wouldn't have to leave his side. Him and Kali... That sounded pretty damn nice, really. Even if he wasn't completely certain she remembered much of... before. Maybe time alone would let him figure it out sort of. But not likely. Since she wouldn't talk and was trapped in this enveloping traumatic depression.

He sighed.

Yeah. A great brother.

He gave Dad another small smile, "Thanks, Dad. I'll do whatever the family needs." They were everything to him. Everything he'd ever known. And Umbra, of course. And sort of Dad's friend although she never spoke to him or anything... Probably didn't want to. It was clear who she was here for and he supposed Kali got grandfathered into that sort of just by being with Dad a lot.

He was as close to the spitting image of Dad as anyone could manage. But he supposed he was still his mom's son too. Maybe that mattered less for a tiny precious girl.

Maybe he should get away now, actually.

"I think I'll find a place to rest," he told him hollowly, wings lifting and stretching in preparation. He settled his grey gaze on Dad's though, just in case. "Would you like me to do anything more?"

Kirby smiled back, pressed a kiss to his boy’s forehead, brushed his forelock to the side, just fussing over him a little. “I know you will, baby. I know you’ve got our family’s back, huh? Best son ever.” He pulled back to look at him, silver eyes shining with pride. “Such a good man you’re becoming, you know that? Okay. I can be done.”

It was a lie.

He fussed over Kharon’s mane a little more, catching a few stray hairs and nudging them back into place, ruffling it juuust so to make it a little bit tousled. Ladies dug the sexy bedhead look, and they pulled it off brilliantly with a hazy sleepy lazyyy sexy grin and yeah no he’d be knockin’ ‘em dead without even trying. And okay yes no Kirb knew it was neither the time nor the place for seducing the ladies, but look, you never knew when opportunity would show up and present itself and there was nothin’ wrong with looking gooood even if you felt stressed and shitty.

Especially when they looked this damn good.

“Rest, yes, good, that’s smart. You go relax, take it easy, let a little of that weight off your shoulders, huh? I know you can carry it, but you deserve a little down time. It’s okay. We’re all here, we’re safe, nobody’s sick, not even a little sniffle, yeah? It’s an island, there’s only so far we can go, and after all that fuss nobody’s dumb enough to up and leave. Get a little rest, take care of yourself. If you wanna take your sis with to snuggle, I’m sure she’d love that. Otherwise, alone time is totally good too. Whatever you need, okay?”
    Bite my shiny metal ass.