• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

some ancient call that I've answered before; birthing

there are wolves in my head and their howling
    there was a garden of evil in the palm of my hand

Health once more finds its way into her.

She feels it slowly expanding in her lungs—feels it beginning to spread through her and into the life that has begun to grow within her. She is not particularly maternal, does not fret over becoming a mother, but she is protective over her child, protective over the life of it blossoming into something fully formed. She does not know where Castile has ended up, has not tried to hunt him down after they had come together in the heat of the moment, but she knows that the time is coming now—the beginning of it flooding her. 

She does not fear it as some might. She does not worry for what the future will hold. She simply accepts this as the next chapter in life, the coming birth as natural as breathing. So it is not with any sort of worry that she lies down when the pains of birth hit her. It is with a calmness that surprises the animal within her, a calmness that stems from millennia of women before her experiencing the same pain.

It washes over and through her and she does not fight it.

She rides through each wave, feeling it rise up her spine, the contractions digging into her. The hours pass around her and she does not notice them. The hours pass and she focuses on the task at hand, grunting and growling low in her throat. She can feel the build of it, the ending of it coming, and she leans into it, giving it all of her strength. When the final push arrives, she roars—the sound echoing around her—and it is the sound of the tiger that rips from her as she finally pushes her dragon girl into the world. 

The girl is pale and golden with a surprising shock of blue around her face and Sochi feels something that surprises her: a warmth that spreads low in her belly. She rises to her feet and begins to clean the child, washing her and urging her to her feet. “Reia,” she breathes the name into the child’s forelock, wondering if her mother felt the same protective love when she first looked upon Sochi. “My little Reia.”

now I'm broken and bleeding, I’ll never find my way

S
    OCHI
    stranger in this land

@[Aeris]

i wasn't sure if you'd want castile to find them or not! <3
    [Image: sochi.png]

I was less than graceful, I was not kind
    be out watching other lovers lose their spine

and underneath the layers, I find myself asking what's left
    a hollowed out form, the skeleton of a ghost, the pitiful echo of what once was
    Although not his first priority, Castile has still invested himself in Sochi’s whereabouts. Sabra demanded much of his attention, but he stems away from her as the seasons change. The frigidity of winter has begun to recede, allowing a gradual introduction of spring. What had transpired between him and Sochi was by no means a mistake. In her soul, there is a passionate fire that rekindled him during his darkest hours. She showed him a light when he saw only darkness. Her prowess, matched with his own, berthed something beautiful yet dangerous.

He knew what they did; he knew the outcome.
    Now, it was only a matter of time.

Much to his dismay, sickness has spread across his body. Fatigue rattles his bones and he is frequently awoken by a fever. While hesitant to carry this across the river lands, Castile cannot suppress his need to see another of his children born. He had missed both of his twins – a mistake for which he hates himself – and so he refuses to miss another. With enough determination and heightened senses, it isn’t long until he sees Sochi settling down to deliver. Naturally, he had flown here from the Ischia. He alights heavily, but stabilizes himself enough to avoid stumbling. Far enough away, Castile approaches placidly, watching as the child slowly slips from its mother’s womb.

”She’s beautiful,” he says when he is standing above them looking down with a soft grin, ”Beautiful Reia.” An abrupt step is taken away as a cough rattles through him, but then Castile immediately returns his attention on the pair. His mismatched eyes are laced on the child, observing how scales adorn her body and reflect a sweet, golden shimmer. Little does he know how much she will exhibit from her father. Where teeth will one day be, there are pink gums. A fire will soon churn in the girl’s core, but for now, she is meek and so very delicate.

Reia’s eyes peer up at her mother as Sochi brushes aside her forelock. A childish grin reaches her eyes, a quiet hum vibrating through her. The arrival of the male is startling, but does little to waver Reia off her course. With an increasing sense of determination, she stands for the first time after multiple attempts. Sweetly, her muzzle glides across mother’s stomach which gradually guides her into a place to nurse. Fascinated, Castile watches it all before leveling his gaze on Sochi. ”How are you doing?” He asks, somehow knowing that she wouldn’t be angry for his absence. She is independent, a hunter. Their relationship thus far has been anything but tender.

castile

@[Sochi]

She does not expect his love. Does not expect his loyalty. She has asked nothing of him and places no demands on his time, but still, there is a part of her, surprisingly feminine, that is glad when she sees the metallic sheen of him approaching. Her silver eyes flick upward, studying him, the iridescent blue of her face nearly shimmering. “She is,” she says simply, voice of smoke and fog. She notes the sickness that claims him, the way it branches through him, and recognizes it—understands it.

It was not so long ago when such sickness claimed her instead.

“Deep water helps,” her voice is calm, no fear sharpening the edge of her words, no fuss. “Sometimes cold and sometimes hot, if you can find it. It eases the ache and helps provide relief for the cough.” She glances up from where the draconic girl who has risen and latched onto her, feeding quietly.

“I am doing better,” she says quietly, not dwelling on what she has been through. The crimson slashes still stand out as they run jagged across her chest. The sickness has abated but she can feel it still, the cough that sends blood splattered on the ground before her, the aches that run deep in her muscles.

Such things are nothing to what has been awoken inside of her though.

Things she can no longer hide.

Things she can no longer lock up.

“I was the first to his throat,” she says simply, explaining but not apologizing for the role she has played in the disease that now spreads across the land. “I felt his body shred like paper beneath my claws before he fell, before he broke, before what lived inside of him spread so far.” She almost feels regret now, looking at Castile, wondering how she feels about the dragon stallion before her. The emotions are complex, layered, and she doesn’t have much luck in trying to interpret them. All she knows is that she feels something and that in and of itself is enough to want her to ignore it entirely.

Still, the truth of it lies between them—heavy and unmoving.

She wonders if he will rage at her, if he will demand her guilt, if he will simply turn his cheek.

If he will ask her to apologize for what she is—what she has become.

Sochi frowns, the motion flashing across her features, before it wipes away, leaving her face carefully natural again. Their child finishes feeding and stumbles forward, pressing into her chest. She leans down, breathing Reia in deep, the scent familiar and comforting—grounding when so much remains uncertain.

S
    OCHI
    stranger in this land

@[Castile]

There’s a primal instinct of possession trickling into his thoughts when he glances at their daughter then to Sochi. Although not love – they are almost strangers – it is still a need to have her, to keep them both nestled to his side with his scent blanketed across them. They are his, he quietly muses, never daring to utter the words aloud because he can sense Sochi’s ferocity. It competes against his own even when their bodies melted together for the very first time. Two hunters met, their fire and passion explosive and volatile.

Admittedly, he reflects on it occasionally with smugness.

Yet both of them exhibit something different entirely with the arrival of their daughter. They display an unnatural tenderness when they touch the frail girl – so delicate, so new – and peer up at each other with the realization of what they’ve welcomed into the world. Castile doesn’t even try to suppress the proud smile that smears across his lips as he watches Reia nurse with fascination before regarding Sochi’s advice. As much as he wants to tuck away his symptoms, they are becoming more and more prominent. The infection sinks its claws into him, dragging him down with no reprieve in sight. He nods to her, understanding, but he doesn’t admit his ailments.

It would be weak.
    It would be cowardice.

Reia slips to her mother’s chest, leaning against her comfortably while peering across the pestilent world with intrigue. Nearby, she can hear the river gurgle and the trees groan with a sigh of wind. Lifting her chin, the child lips at her mother and mimics her by drawing in a deep breath. Castile watches the interaction, still smiling as though not hearing Sochi’s confession. It tumbles around, however, and ignites a storm. He could blame her for all of this, for bringing so much destruction and disease to their home, but it doesn’t feel right.

No, not even his gut roils in retaliation. The fire doesn’t kindle.
    There is instead an eerie calmness.

It’s a few breaths, a multitude of heartbeats, until Castile can break his watch of their daughter and look at Sochi. His head tilts, his eyes searching her face. There is barely regret. Perhaps, if she was someone else, he would have snarled, but with their story together only just beginning, he spares her and remains oddly tender. A shrug ripples through his shoulders. ”You didn’t know,” or maybe she did but doesn’t add that small detail. It doesn’t change his mind, not today with their newborn now suddenly looking up at him. ”This is the reality now. I just hope we can keep her – and you – safe.” It’s always the mother and children that take precedence. His own wellbeing is an afterthought.

It’s because of her role now, mother to his daughter, that he regards her so highly now. Reaching forward, he brushes aside her forelock but then takes a slow step back. Glancing away, he observes how much the plague has destroyed. This is their world, their home, now. This is where they will raise their daughter. ”It changed you, didn’t it?” The question is unexpected, even to himself. Turning his head, he dives into her silver eyes and tries to extract answers. ”It changes you when you kill.” I would know, he doesn’t add.

castile

@[Sochi]

She was never a thing to be owned—to be kept, to be possessed.

She is wild storms and raging oceans and predatory drive, but she quiets around him, stills when he is near and does not feel the familiar need to leave, to run. Perhaps it is the feeling of like being around like, of being near a soul that is at once intimately familiar in its similarity and wholly mysterious. She does not know what lives beneath his skin, cannot tell the monster that erupts from him when given the chance, but perhaps, in time, she will. Perhaps her first hint will be the scales of her daughter, or the fire that will soon find its way to her tongue, or perhaps Castile will show her himself one day.

It is difficult to say.

Still, she appreciates the way he looks at her, looks at their daughter, and she wonders if this is what most women feel when they stand near the sire of their children. What would it be like to have a family? What would it be like to have a feeling of being rooted? Of being a great oak that sprouts in the forest, knowing that its roots can go deep and far without fear? She shakes the thoughts from her head, lets them float like mist into the wind. She is not meant for such things, not meant for such tenderness.

He dismisses her advice after nodding and she nods in return, letting it die.

She knew what it meant to be proud. To lift one’s chin in the face of certain death and she does not begrudge him his own rebellious refusal to bend the knee to his disease. Neither does she fear for him. Whatever he is, he is not weak, and he would not fall beneath the weight of the plague.

Her attention is caught by the daughter before her and she bends down so that Reia can reach her. She doesn’t look at Castile to note whatever he may feel about the role she has played in all of this. She doesn’t expect him to understand, but there is something that nags in the back of her mind, something that tells her he just may. When he finally speaks, she shrugs and then nods, letting the conversation continue with so much said between them without needing to add the unnecessary words to carry it along.

When he touches her, closing the distance between them, she ignores the twinge of her heart, her face carefully passive. “It did,” she says simply. “I don’t know who I am anymore.” Another faint frown as she looks down, the sight of her daughter softening her features. Her mouth remains somber when she finds his eyes again, holding onto it. “I feel an anger that I never felt growing up—a hunger that is becoming more difficult to suppress, more difficult to sate.” She sighs, shaking her head, letting him see a rare conflict within her, a confusion as she tries to pull apart the pieces of her to understand them better.

S
    OCHI
    stranger in this land

@[Castile]

i love them together so much :|

Castile’s eyes drift shut when his muzzle brushes against Sochi’s forehead. A deep breath is drawn into his lungs, almost dreamily, as he memorizes every fiber of her being. Somehow, despite their predatory drive, there is a mutual tenderness shared, respect even. Their ferocity ebbs, softened by a sudden familial bond that tethers them.

This is what I missed with the twins, he quietly whines to himself in shame and regret. It wounds him to realize how great of a thing he missed with them. Sabra and Solace faced childbirth alone. In a whirl of black smoke, Castile abandoned them to their own devices – the two women he cared most about! – but he is present for Sochi, a practical stranger (but can they be anymore?). What had been an initial mistake created a fuel for him; it was a realization that it couldn’t – wouldn’t – happen again.

He is enamored by them with eyes softened by the delicacy of the sight. Reia remains adoringly pressed to mother’s chest but soon leans forward to hesitantly inspect her father. A low coo vibrates along Castile’s throat as his muzzle lowers to meet the child. They softly brush one another, their eyes briefly locking before Reia inches back and lies down. Like a tulip in the evening, Reia folds down and nestles against Sochi’s leg to rest peacefully. With a fatherly smile, he watches until Sochi’s voice reels him from his racing thoughts.

Uncertainty and confusion weaves into her voice, something he can so easily relate to as she confesses the hunger that growls inside her. It’s all too familiar, what she says, and so he nods with a knowing grin tugging at his mouth. There is in fact an anger, and an underlying need to hunt. It never goes away; nothing can suppress it. Over the years, Castile has taught himself to harness but accept it. A monster is what he is, what he will always be. As a boy, he thought he could hide from it, but it always lurked beneath the surface. Even when the water stilled and he assumed the worst was over, turbulence would rise again and he would be sucked beneath the waves.

”Just embrace it,” he finally says in a voice seemingly too nonchalant for the predicament, ”There is no hiding it.” Control it, he wants to say, but when it comes to mind his own inner voice growls to control her, to make her his own.

He swallows down that impulse, driving it as deep as possible in the crevices of his mind.

A fleeting glance to their daughter calms the jump in his adrenaline just enough to add, ”We can hunt together.” It would be an odd thing, but Sochi doesn’t quite know what he is, not yet. It would be a first experience to not be alone when his hunger peaked. Always solitary, he muses, it is the way of his inner workings, but he cannot resist the temptation of witnessing Sochi at her most powerful – famished, unstated.

Dangerous.

Castile’s mismatched eyes catch the dappled sunlight and gleam with a sense of mischief. ”I’ve willingly murdered one,” the confession adds to her own, reassuring her (just as it did him) that she isn’t alone. ”I made him suffer. I made sure he died slowly,” his body shifts, unsure whether to continue. Only Leilan knows the intricacies of his thoughts when it happened. Even when others witnessed and listened to the screams, Castile only confessed to Leilan how proud he actually was, and how sick it made him feel – but he enjoyed it nonetheless. ”I would do it again, but even slower.” His expression glazes with the memory and his lip curls in a snarl.

Klaudius deserved it, he doesn’t say.
    He deserved it one hundred times over.

castile

@[Sochi]

Gah me too

Sochi watches with pride as Reia reaches for her father, something warm twisting in her belly as the filly touches her father’s nose, as Castile murmurs to her in kind. Her stomach clenches with the emotion, and she nearly snorts with fear from the overwhelming nature of it, something that rises and crashes in her like the tide overtaking the shore. It is immediate and powerful and she averts her silver eyes for a moment, letting herself find some common ground within herself, some moment of calm before she looks for him again. She has not expected to be someone softened by motherhood, someone to be taken by the sight of the father caring so deeply for her daughter, and the fact that she is unsettles her to core.

Still, her muscles relax, her breath loosening when the moment fades and Reia lowers herself to the ground. She leans down, brushing scarred lips over her daughter’s forehead, a moment of tenderness as her daughter slips into sleep—a proactive growl buried deep in her throat. Whatever she has experienced, whatever she has felt during the last few years, she would split herself open before she let such horrors touch her daughter’s life. She would bleed herself dry before one ounce of pain befell her daughter.

The fierceness of the need to protect sharpens her gaze, lingers in the angles of her face when she meets Castile again, and she doesn’t bother to hide this emotion, doesn’t shy away from the smoke that simmers within it. He tells her to embrace it and her laugh is fog in response, deep and low and unfurling between them. “Who is to say I have not already embraced it?” She tilts her head to the side, studying him.

“Some men may not like blood on the hands of their daughter’s mother,” she muses. “But you are not most men,” she says simply. He is not, she thinks. He is something different entirely—something dark and angry and powerful. Something noble beneath it all. Something she doesn’t quite understand and is yet entirely intrigued by. At his offer to hunt, her smile turns wolfish, teeth sharpening, lips peeling back over her suddenly canine ivory teeth. “It has been too long since I’ve hunted with another.”

She thinks back to the first time, when Daye had given her permission to be herself, to hunt without the guilt, to let herself not only shift into her predator form but to fully become it. To, as Castile said, embrace it. She hungers for that sense of companionship, that ease with which the two of them had woven through the forest and, although she had been the larger of the predator that day, she does not think the same will hold true should she hunt next to Castile. Something tells her he is something different entirely.

When he confides in her, she cannot suppress the spark in her eye that rises to meet that of his own, the understanding that blossoms between them. “Good. There are some where you cannot make the death slow enough,” she says quietly, imagining the breaking of bones and the suffering—the necessary affliction of justice through the spilling of blood. Curiosity grows beneath her flesh, but she doesn’t press her questions into him. Instead she just watches him quietly, wondering what the other had done to draw forth such rage from him and wishing, whatever it was, that she had been there to see him sate it.

S
    OCHI
    stranger in this land

@[Castile]

Something rises inside him when she darkly chuckles – pride? Relief? – and he matches it with a wolfish grin of his own. The look in her silver eyes confirms that she has not only embraced it, but has undeniably merged with its prowess. It is as great a part of her as she is of it. Her demeanor conveys her precarious nature which livens his soul in a way it never has before. His entire being is alight, his mismatched eyes gleaming as they dance from mother to child, savoring this moment. ”I’m not like most men,” he confirms in a voice similar to a growl. It rumbles across the edges of his throat, a shadowed grin lifting the corners of his mouth. ”Both of her parents have blood on their hands,” the self-loathing he carried with the memory lifts from his shoulders, dissipating.

”She will one day be dangerous, too,” and while he debates whether he wants their offspring to swim in blood and gore, he concludes that no child of theirs could ever be meek.

The precious child – so innocent and pure – that curls at her mother’s feet today will have interesting shoes to fill tomorrow.

Castile’s own smile turns jagged in response to Sochi, his adrenaline coursing, his hunger roiling. ”I’ve only ever hunted alone,” because dragons do not need help, because he can so easily overpower deer and bear alike. He does not elaborate however, nor admit to what he can be – what he truly is. It’s too soon, he tells himself as his memories reflect on Sabra and Solace. Their eyes widened fearfully when his body cracked, groaned, and stretched. It wasn’t a display of awe and beauty. Blood dribbled along his skin as it ripped for scales to surface. Fortunately, the transition has become simpler and more fluid, but the danger still remains very much alive.

In front of Sochi, and in front of their daughter, he will tamper the primal monster until the time is right.

With a brief glance to Reia, he considers her for a moment. ”I’m sure she will need to learn hunting skills.” As a newborn, her teeth haven’t yet emerged, but Castile has an inkling that their child will be anything but fragile.

castile

@[Sochi]

She does not fear whatever monster lies beneath his skin.

Instead, in her own way, she hungers for it. Her silver eyes study him intently, noting the harsh angles that draw him up, the hard muscle that lies beneath his coat, the confidence that he wears despite all of his own questioning. “She will be a force to be reckoned with,” Sochi breathes, glancing down and smiling at their daughter, feeling a rush of pride as it flows through her. Their daughter will not be prey. She will not bend the knee or look down. She will be a huntress, a predator—and she will apologize for nothing.

At his next confession, she just nods, a corner of her lip barely quirking. “I hunted alone for a long time. I was afraid to let anyone see me like that. To see me when I lost myself to the hunt.” Because that is what happens. She loses control over her more learned behaviors and becomes entirely predator. She hungers and feeds and feels nothing but the desire for more, the blood staining the cream of her fur. “But I no longer feel the need to hide.” She tilts her head to the side. “Hunting alone is powerful, but hunting with a partner,” her voice fades slightly. “It makes all of the difference—to have someone at your side.”

To have someone who understands, who feels the same way.

Part of her leans forward and were it not for the child at her feet, she would close the distance between them, just to feel the heat of him beneath her mouth again, to remind herself of it. Instead she glances down, doing her best to control the flare-ups of emotion and need that lick up the sides of her belly.

“She will learn quickly,” she asserts before flicking her silver eyes up.

“I have never hunted as a pack with three before.”

S
    OCHI
    stranger in this land

@[Castile]