• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  the river coursing through us is dirty and deep
    They say the past is in the past, but they don't know--

( She was born by the sea and raised wild, whipped by the wind and cradled by cold salt water.

Later she died in that cradle, and even when she was reborn,
    a part of her stayed behind.

She can feel it still out there in the ocean, that sharp-toothed ghost of hers.)

They say the past is in the past, but they don't know. So when Magnus speaks of the Amazons, and then of how he died, North can only guess at what scars he carries in his heart, and if they're anything at all like hers. Technically she was murdered too, but really... she only has herself to blame. North signed her stupid self up for a stupid game without having a clue what the stupid stakes were. (In her defense, who goes trick or treating and expects to die??)

"But you didn’t come to listen to such morbid stories from a stallion as old as me"

She narrows her eyes at him a bit and almost snorts "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want to hear the answer," but she grudgingly lets his words be what they are-- a change of subject-- and nods her head. (She doesn't know why she holds back-- didn't she warn him that she fights with words instead of tooth and hoof? Maybe it has to do with the fact that she's relieved he didn't ask about her own death.)

North loves a secret, and she thinks anyone who doesn't is a terrible bore. She believes secrets should be kept that way-- secret-- and so she is not in the practice of sharing secrets, but she gladly listens to them. So she leans in toward Magnus with an eager gleam in her hazel eyes, and for all the years between them they still could be just teenagers hunched over a conspiracy.

He speaks and she is silent. He probably knows the effect his voice has, how she wants to swim in it. In case he doesn't, she is careful not to let her eyes meet his. "Maybe they're stronger than you realize. Look, I don't know who these loved ones are," and here she feels a strange sensation, like a helium balloon let go, like who does he love and what are they like, are they anything like silver, like me. "but they probably don't need your protection as much as you think."

Since we're talking secrets-- she hates the way his smell makes her feel reckless. She hates the thought that him or anyone could have that power over her. She breathes in deeply anyway, and it feels like somewhere a shotgun is fired.

"Let's walk."

N O R T H
    "In her the earth was silent, as it is silent at sunrise,
    and the earth in her was profound, like the sunrise.
    "

@[magnus] <3 (sorry if you got notified twice! I edited)

Messages In This Thread
    RE: the river coursing through us is dirty and deep - by North - 01-03-2019, 03:52 PM