• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

in the cold light of day we're a flame in the wind [litotes]

everything we are, it just went away
    with a slide of the tongue and a sour taste

I should never have opened my big mouth.

What would have happened, if she had never admitted to him the true strength of her feelings? Would things be different if they had traveled to Tephra together, to live as the closest of friends? Would he not reel away from her touch as if nauseated by her?

No. The truth would have come out eventually, and it just would have made the both of them even more miserable than they are now. Undoubtedly, Dawn would have ended up fleeing back to the Cove or even to the Resort, to her mother’s gentle, caring arms. She would have ended up abandoning everything she cares about just to hide from the truth. No, it is better that it came out now, before she decided to follow him to Tephra and try to make a life there. She loves Hyaline and the Cove, and she would have been so lost if she had gone with him.

The stallion – colt, really; he isn’t much older than her – beside her cringes back at her response, though he cleverly hides it by shifting and shaking his head. A dry laugh escapes the girl and she glances briefly in his direction, knowing it’s not what he expected her to say at all. The expression of panic and the opened mouth tell her all she needs to know, even as he snaps out of it and a stoic mask replaces it. She hears him move closer to her so that they are facing the ocean together, and she sighs heavily, wanting a comforting touch but not knowing him well enough to brush her shoulders against his.

His words are kind and she looks to him again, this time turning her head so that her dark brown eyes catch his tawny ones. “You are kind,” she notes, swallowing hard and returning her gaze to the sea. “Do you ever...” Her voice trails off and she trembles all over, the previously warm waters feeling icy on her limbs. “Do you ever wish you had never met someone?”

She almost wishes it now, but she can hardly breathe.

“I made a terrible mistake, my friend. Never fall in love with your best friend; it will only lead you to heartache.”

If only she knew.

Dawn

oh, it's gonna be a long night

@[litotes] sorry she's so emo
    clean.

Messages In This Thread
    RE: in the cold light of day we're a flame in the wind [litotes] - by Dawn - 02-04-2019, 12:50 AM