• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  She is something to behold | Rhaegor
    There’s a whole lot of miscommunication when one doesn’t talk - which is the root of the problem, perhaps.

Ouch. Rhae’s face visibly twists when he hears this thought; after coming from Magnus’ high praise of his ability, despite his mutism, this is a harsh blow to the boy’s confidence. Words tingle in the back of his throat, dying there as they wait to be sent out into the world; Rhae chokes silently on them, tears threatening to well in his eyes. But he has to prove that he has guts, so he stops the watery things in their tracks, remaining clear-eyed, but very cloud-minded.

He is being made the villain due alone to his disability. While not many in Beqanna understand what the fallout of being defected are, he can imagine that in a world where disability is more common, such narrow-minded discrimination is absurdly common. This realization makes him want to scream, to shout about the injustice of it all, and to teach Leilan about the fact that sometimes, the world doesn’t revolve around him. Sometimes, people are silent for more reasons than to be a jerk.

Unseen, he bites the inside of his lips, attempting to stomp out the endless internal monologue of panic and anger. Nothing would come of this if he couldn’t get himself under control; bigot’s minds could be changed, and truth be told, even Rhae could recognize the anger of a scared father as just that, and as not having a foundation in hatred. Rhae could only hope, for the reality is that every single thought of Leilan’s is but another uncharitable assessment of the man who would do anything for his daughter.

I don’t trust Chryseis. She is too naïve. Even though this thought is followed up with the name of a stallion who Rhaegor does not recognize nor has ever been informed of, his breast swells in anger. How dare this stallion think so lowly of his own daughter? Leilan lowers his head to Rhaegor’s level, an insult to the Arabian’s naturally small stature.

It would seem that everything, especially the things Rhae can’t control, are the Bain of Leilan’s existence.

Finally, the ice dragon speaks; but the word’s edges are no less sharp than the thoughts he’d previously and unknowingly delivered into Rhaegor’s mind. Complete with vulgarity and all; so much for protecting the innocence of children. Or is it that Leilan simply has it out for Rhae, and doesn’t care at all about Chryseis? After all, by the way it sounded, he hasn’t gone and given Ivar a talking to.

Because clearly, the fifteen-hand tall, diplomatic prince and clear lover-not-fighter is the real issue here.

We have a common goal here, for her to be happy.
    But if you ever break her heart, I will come for you.

At long last, the stallion can no longer contain himself; ears pinning and wings rustling to twice their regular size as he defends himself, Rhae casts his thoughts directly into Leilan’s mind, his brown eyes as cold as ash.

You are blinded, by what I do not know; but you have taken me and judged me before you even met me, you have condemned me and now you have literally threatened me. I came into this hoping that perhaps we could establish a friendship, or at least an understanding, but it is clear to me that no such understanding can ever be reached until you are willing to consider that maybe it’s you who is the problem. Maybe you should focus on cleaning up your own life before micro-managing your daughter’s, your daughter who, might I remind you, is an adult by all Beqannan standards.

Here Rhae pauses, a look of vehement contempt lacing his expression. No kingdom in this land would turn her away on account of her age, and I daresay that many would welcome a girl seeking refuge from her tyrant father. His eyes narrow. You see, Leilan, I know about you because I listen to Chryseis; and I know that she has tried to tell you about me. Have you listened? Or do you only hear that which benefits you, and which plays into this obsession you have with controlling a young girl as she discovers herself and love for the first time? Bold, he knows, to use the word love in this context. But ask him if he gives a damn.

You can come for me all you want. I have larger issues than sightless hotheads – namely looking after the daughter you claim to be father to.

Messages In This Thread
    She is something to behold | Rhaegor - by Leilan - 12-18-2018, 03:57 PM
    RE: She is something to behold | Rhaegor - by Rhaegor - 01-02-2019, 06:07 PM