• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
    [open]  leave me in my winter [ here i am powerful ]

The frigid, clutching, grasp of Winter, had never touched him. The frozen fingers of bone hands didn’t phase the warmth of his being- perhaps because it did not penetrate him, he never felt the rush of cold air. Never had it made the fragile skin beneath his coat prickle with gooseflesh, nor left him shaking as it passed, cloaked like a sheet of ice against his back. All thanks to his parents, the gift they themselves had left him, forged like cold, steely iron within his DNA. The children of Weir and Eira, they were like endless snow capped mountain- unmoving, unyielding to Winter.

Snow falls from the skies in thick, fat flurries this day, clinging to the fine hair of his lashes- tracing crystal tiara’s against his eyes. Others trail along his back, dappling his chestnut coat and clinging unmelted when they find themselves against the frozen ice of his mane. Looking closely, one would be able to discern each pattern of flake, awe at the intricacies of their unmatched shapes.

It was like diamonds, his hair, strands of fine tinsel- frosted breath tousled into cords. Something that set him apart from others, made him stand out, it made him different but only in the eyes of those outside his family circle. So common and usual in their bloodline, to know snow and ice so very intimately as they did- some more than others, but each had their way. Snow and Ice, for certain and yet, there was one other piece of knowledge they treasured and kept safe. 

Merriment and Joy, Christmas Father called it, and he was the very idol of the season himself. 

Scholar finds his time spent on Icicle Isle, a place unparalleled with beauty, with great granite mountains with frosted peaks and miles of coniferous trees. Pines, he loved the smell, fresh breaths of air- they smelled like home to him, for a moment he thought She had smelled like home too.

His night with Jingle passing before he knew it and so, he was once again contemplating the meaning of life- as he often did, he could not help but mull over and dissect several unrelated occurrences.

Scholar
    my philosophy is that worrying means you suffer twice

Leilan
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night
    and the superstars sucked into the supermassive
    Of course, he couldn’t be the only one so attached to snow or ice to come here.

It’s funny how many horses Beqanna has, that all have a little ice magic; all of them must have been waiting for a cold area to surface again. After the Reckoning, with the disappearance of the Tundra, only the high and lonely mountains had been of their element. Nerine, as he’d found it, was cool enough in summers, with it’s sea climate, and so that’s where he had been for some time. Other now resurfaced from other places; Jesper the arctic fox, Kora the winter manipulator, and Briella had even earned herself some temporary healing ability that only had worked around ice. Unfortunately, she had spent her time in the Island Resort and he hadn’t seen her since, so hardly anybody in Nerine had been able to ask for her help.

It didn’t matter - he couldn’t expect such from such a young mare. Other healers might be around, though hardly any made it up here, like hardly any horses made it up here at all.

This one was an exception to the latter, but had obviously come here for the element. The icy scales on his own body betrayed Leilan as another winter-accustomed horse, although most of the cold element was to him, on the inside - dragon ice to spit out if needed, with which he’d patched a crater Heartfire had made, with which he could temporarily create an icy layer on the heart-shaped lake. Ice that kept him from freesing to death even if he would get lost in a winter-storm out there in the northern parts of the island. Ice that now clung to his body, where magic icicles had struck him in his attempt to bring some to the Mountain, which would help the fairies heal the plague... hopefully.

The stallion before him bears ice istead of mane and tail, a light contrast to the deep red of a chestnut. The roan approaches not too loudly, not too softly - he wants to make his approach clear, intent on talking ot this man. ”Good day to you. I see you’re agreeing with the climate as well.” his eyes take an aqua teint as he grins upon the other man. ”I’m Leilan. Originally from Nerine... Have you come to live here?” he wonders. So many horses do - it’s ridiculous - and then so many others leave when they realize the cold keeps out most food sources, or the fight and bloodflow they seemingly wished for does not happen soon enough. Well, good riddance, Leilan doesn’t want a bloody war over a piece of ice. He’d just come for it’s solitude and cold, clean air - he didn’t need the heat and tang of blood to mingle with it.

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Scholar]
    Two things I know I can make: pretty kids, and people mad.
    |

Had it really been the position of the moon on that fateful night? The rigid sphere of icelight suspended in the deep, indigo of the dark, just so? Between 3 stars, bright, burning balls of illuminated, gaseous dust.

It couldn’t be, and yet he still considered it.

Funny he remembered it so clearly, the position and angle of the moon, the placement of the stars. She had left an impression of some sort, and there were times he had considered seeking her out again- getting to know her better. Scholar was not usually so promiscuous, bedding with a stranger, lucky to even remember their name. It wasn’t common practice for the man, he was brought up with manners, morals of the highest sort of respect. Her name stuck easily, he had asked it, Jingle, it was too much of a coincidence.

There he stood, contemplating, chewing the inner pink, of his soft cheek. Easily spotted against the endless expanse of snow, bright red he was such a contrast to the alabaster backdrop, ginger boy.

A family of primarily redheads, touched by fire, cold as ice- he smiled at that, such a simple thought to lead him away from overthinking what was and wasn’t.

Glimmering light caught his eyes, just the peripheral vision of the amber sockets placed near his temples. It was the shine of hair in the sunlight, reflecting even brighter off the crystalline, white snow drifts. Threads of gold woven against the pitch of normalcy that crowned a bay, soot and coal- it is not unheard of here.

“Yes, quite nice, I can’t really feel the cold,” he admitted, turning his rust colored head towards the approacher. “That’s why I’m here I suppose, feels like home, feels normal- whatever that is,” a small chuckle leaves his lips, warm and full of mirth.

“Scholar,” he dips his head, the smallest of nods in greeting, “of Tephra I suppose, we wander a fair bit, my family and I.”

“Have I intruded?” A sudden realization that he may have crossed bounds unintentionally on someones herdland.

Scholar

@Leilan

Leilan
    Children... siring them is the easy part. His first daughter now is nearly enough of age that she thinks she already is - perhaps he is, but he just doesn’t see it. As long as she keeps hiding things from him, as long as she acts childish, he doesn’t think she is fully an adult. In body, yes. In mind, not that sure. But she is sure that she is old enough for all the things he’d wanted to keep from her, and now she’ll just soon be... lost, in a way. No more innocent questions. No more blind faith to follow him around just about anywhere. That thing he never had with either of his sons due to their nature, he’d just lost it.

Sure, he had Oisín and Eurwen still. And if fate would have it, yet another full sibling for them. But the first was special in a way. Even if, perhaps, he’d never intended to put another life on this world. Who’s he kidding though. He’s never have forgiven Briseis if she’d never told him.

He can’t know about this chestnut man’s mesmerizing, but perhaps it is just the season for such. Autumn’s just about that season, but now, hormones will be cooling, and they won’t be the only stallions in the world left to wonder if any of their actions had consequences. It is, perhaps, a good thing that they’ll have someone else to talk to today, and distract them from returning thoughts.

The silver bay roan nods to his ice-and-fire counterpart. Tilts his head at Tephra. ”Not the first area I’d come looking for an ice-marked stallion.” he comments, his grin still cheeky however. ”But a wandering nature and being at ease here, does feel like you’re the most normal I’ve seen in days.” he smiles a bit. ”You can’t be intruding on a land where leadership is being challenged and undecided, I think.” He loses the green hint in his eyes then, as they return to a much deeper blue. He contemplates. ”But if it had fallen in my favour, you’d be welcome to wander,” he adds with a bit of a shrugging motion. A small smile returns as he glances over the isle. ”This is supposed to be a safe place, after all.”

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard
    |

If he had been trespassing, how truly awkward that would be, thoroughly against the better parts of his morality. He looked sheepishly at the other- unintended wrong doing, the amber glim of his eyes turning to innocence, embarrassment. As it were, there was no leader upon the throne of cold, and so he relaxed, muscles unknotting. Scholar hadn’t even noticed he had become so stiff, tense, in the wake of possibly arriving uninvited. Father would not have thought kindly on that, he thought it best not to bring it up, being uncareful was foolish.

Where was his head at?

Oh, right, Jingle. The chestnut shook his head, trying to send the fog away, the veil of things that just had to be left alone. Allowed to unfold, it was a touchy thing to trifle with fate, and he was no man to attempt it. Did he have the knowledge for it? Perhaps. Scholar was uncannily intelligent, like most of his family, schooled in the most obscure of information. To most people, they were very strange indeed, annoying maybe- he couldn’t help it, none of them could.

“Ah yes, well, Father is quite close to some of the original settlers. He calls them my uncles,” a laugh to follow, the title untrue in blood, but very solid nonetheless. “Followed them there with Mother, he just sort of tags along, no one ever makes a fuss of it. Sort of hard to really, but that’s just Weir for you.”

The words trail, it was obvious he held his Father in the highest of respects, crafting a smirk along his jaw.

“Normal? Heh, that’s quite nice of you,” a shrug and a grin, eyes trailing off into the horizon.

“Suppose I best wish them luck, whoever they are, and good fortune- I quite enjoy it here.” It’s practically perfect, just the right amount of cold, and the wooded area to the South. He imagined Father would have told him it was like the Dale, with a little slice of the Tundra sprinkled in, two realms lost to everything but memory.

Their stories are still written though, tucked away in the minds of those that knew them, those that kept them alive in their hearts- their thoughts. Some of the greatest stories he had ever been told had taken place in a land far away, and not so far away at all. Before the world changed and the Mountain rose against the skies.

Scholar

@Leilan
    Mood board:  Scholar

Leilan
    The man visibly relaxes under Leilan’s observation that none could trespass where there is no ruler (no ruler means no real border, although how the man could unintendedly swim the cold waters without noticing he had arrived here was a bit of a mystery to the scaled roan, he would not comment further). Instead, the ice-bearing chestnut recieves a friendly grin and that’s about it, concerning this subject.

Tephra, and living there, gets more attention from Scholar, which is just as well. A normal story, one of love although it is not told from that perspective; one of family and respect (something that sometimes lacks in his own family, sadly). A normal story.

The ice-and-red man likes the comment, for a compliment that it is. To some, perhaps being normal would have been an offense, but like many of Leilan’s comments, be them snippy, sassy or well-meant like this one, half the time they get mistaken for direct insults. Sometimes he means to poke and prod, sure. But the silver bay roan has too many things on his mind lately to do so, and in all seriousness, he likes this stallion quite a lot.

The scaled stallion smiles a bit at the comment at ‘whoever they are’, to wish them luck. He’s supposed to be one of them, but even if another is chosen, luck is surely needed. This island is being fought over for reasons he doesn’t comprehend still, and like he’d told the salt-and-pepper stallion before, he suspected it was because it had seemed easy to some of them. At this point though, he only continued to fight for it because he didn’t want two of them to win it. Because he figured it might be better to pick a fifth, one they could all support in some manner or another. But to retreat without having that figured out first, was basically giving up. So, he just smiles and then makes a somewhat shrugging motion. ”Everybody needs a bit of luck in politics, I suppose.”

And still this island called to him. Appealed to the ice-scaled stallion in a way he couldn’t quite pinpoint. Perhaps it was because the brotherhood where he’d been a part of, had always lived in the Tundra (despite the fact that he had not lived there in that time). Or because he was bearing and spitting ice, and cold-resistant at that. Or because this place, safe by faerie magic, reminded him of the fairy herself. Reminded him to be modest enough.

”Well, if you need a change of temperature or scenery, I wouldn’t mind having you here a bit longer than a few hours. I never know if it’s lonely or busy out here.”

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Scholar]
    |

Forging friendships, he seemed to have a knack for it. Could be because he was undoubtedly kind and friendly to begin with, or perhaps the people he met were just too nice to shoot him down. To shoo him away and tell him to get lost, stop pestering them with his silver lining nonsense. Whatever the case might be, Scholar found an easy camaraderie with the other male, here as they looked out over the silent snow.

The beauty of the bleak and frigid landscape, time seemed to stop, suspend in the chill of the air. It was perfect, it made him feel welcome, lack of leader or not- he never much minded to delve too deep into the tiers of politics. Choosing to remain a bystander, a herd member if anything or a nomad as was more often the case.

It suited him, though he would be a wonderful addition to any hierarchy- if you asked him, but no one ever did.

“Oh of course, I quite agree, best of luck to all,” nodding his russet head and snorting a large breath into the air. It left in a puff of vapor, then was whisked away by the gentle breeze.

“I do wonder, how could there possibly be such a bid over a land of snow? Not that it isn’t a lovely place, I quite enjoy the cold. However, I don’t often run into those with my gifts, or suited to live in such a climate. Hmm, well, bother that I suppose.”

Sometimes he tends to answer his own questions, or draw suitable conclusions to his own thoughts, requiring little feedback. Though he always welcomes a different view, that’s how we learn, it was natural to explore the world with questions. He often did just that, eyes and ears tuned in.

“A change in temperature,” a quip perhaps, or he took it as one. “Yes it is very agreeable here, I think I may roam around a bit, at least until we have a suitor that sends me on my way.” This time a bit more cheeky, creating a slope of ice from the rise on which he stood, then sliding down it to the fresh flakes below.

“In any case, I delight in the wildlife and might stay just for that!” Foxes in suits of alabaster and snowy birds, their wings speckled in the most delightful of ways.

Scholar

@Leilan
    Mood board:  Scholar

Leilan
    Scholar is indeed, easy company, as the man might have reasoned himself. Too little of those have found their way northward lately, or rather, not northward enough (never further than Nerine and even that being a rarity it looked to him). While of course, the island is rather isolated, that shouldn’t mean it was to be wholly desolate. But perhaps with parties and plagues and other kingdoms settling also, most horses did not find it interesting enough to travel so far.

But it was rather pretty, and the icy, draconic stallion thinks it’s a shame that it had attracted only negativity for a while. Scholar seems to think so too, in a way, wondering aloud why so many would fight over it. The scaled roan shrugs. ”It’s a safe land, which is probably something that attracts strangers, though for the life of me I don’t know why they don’t prefer something warmer. For Nerine, unfortunately it is the only one to reasonably turn to, so I’m here to make sure it’s not only safe from the plague, but also from less-charitable people.” He sighs, turning back to the chestnut-and-ice male. ”Enough of that. Hey, and don’t forget to look at the lake in the northern part before you go.” he grins, watching the other suddenly slide off an icy slope that hadn’t been there before. The roan himself might be too heavy for such, but trots along anyway when Scholar has something to add about the wildlife. This earns him a chuckle from the scaled roan stallion, knowing one or two of those might not be animals. ”They’ll surprise you, I bet.” he grins, but won’t say anything more.

you set my soul alight
    HTML by Vanilla Custard

@[Scholar] I wasn’t sure if you wanted to continue this, but I see it got lost on my list somewhere so here is a little something ^^
    |