• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[open]  a new king will rise from the ashes; everyone

Ophanim
    He had promised Starsin that he would meet her at Loess first thing this morning. And he had planned to, wanted to take flight as soon as the sun found its way over the horizon and began the day. But things never work out how we plan and he was awoken by the sound of arguing and fighting instead. Nevermind that he had overslept. No, his attention is now fully concentrated on the growing group and he rises from the ground, stretching those white and gold wings before approaching. His scales remain hidden for now, leaving

There’s already a smile on his face before he realizes what’s going on but he listens for a while to figure out the details. Someone got booted from their comfortable throne and they’re upset about it. The argument moves in circles, getting nowhere fast as everyone just gets more upset. He blinks, watches them with that mischievous grin nestled so perfectly on his lips until a silence blooms between them all. His bright blue eyes scan each face and he supposes he could barge his way in now. Stir a little more trouble into the pot.

If you’re all so mad, why don’t you try to win the throne then? That’s what this guy did and now he’s king,” he says with brief laughter trailing after his words. “If you don’t want to do that then, I don’t know, deal with it I guess. Or move. Whatever.

His wings settle at his sides and he tilts his head, watching them curiously. They all liked to talk but Ophanim thought the answers were fairly simple. Even he understood with only a few minutes of eavesdropping on their angry mob. They let their emotions complicate things, as people often do, but his mother had taught him that feelings could cloud his vision sometimes.

If you like it here just because you’ve been here a while or your family is here, you should probably reconsider. This place could sink back into the sea just as quickly as it rose up. Then you’d look kind of dumb.

He laughs again, imagining the region just plummeting back beneath the waves while they argue endlessly. Ophanim liked the river quite a bit but he knows it may dry up during the course of his life. He’s especially wary of any land’s permanency after the plague’s arrival, really. Magic is a fickle thing and he wouldn’t hedge his bets on it any day of the week.
    BUT HOW COULD YOU KNOW THE SWEETEST SUFFERING
    OF MOVING ON
    Tiphon listens, his eyes darting back and forth. His blood boils through his veins, but his lips are pursed shut, stoic to hide the anger brewing through him. More often his attention dwells on Wallace, replaying her intentions to leave him, to leave this island with her entire family. Truthfully, it hurt him, and his expression openly mirrored that during their conversation. She had been apologetic, but she confirmed that she and her family didn’t belong here, that Ischia was their home. ”Temporary,” he addresses her, easily enough ignoring the dimwitted stallion, ”you told me all of this was temporary. You and your family belong in Ischia, not here, you said, and that was exactly where you were heading – to leave me on this island.” Somehow, he manages to level his voice and tone down the frustration poisoning his ever fiber. How long, exactly, has it been since he was last so furious? So betrayed?

But they perceived him as the traitor.

Again, he addresses her with Kerberos idiotically fuming with minimal breaths. Admittedly, Tiphon never cared for him, but provided a respectable front because they needed a refuge and supposedly were no longer welcome on Ischia any longer. ”You want to stay with him, Wallace?” A brow lifts, eerily calm amid the rush of adrenaline among them. ”You flinch from him. You’re unhappy around him.” His eyes narrow as they finally switch to the stallion, ruffling his wings as he faces Kerberos. ”You’re proving exactly why you had no rank here. You’re too emotional, selfish, volatile, bigheaded… Need I continue?” His head inclines, his stare intensifying. ”When envoys came to the island, you had no interest. You had an opportunity, and then rushed off. I saw nothing in you that screamed deserving, to be honest. Had you shown interest and incentive, or even told me anything about yourself, then maybe it could have happened. But no one stood out and showed a single interest in the herd’s affairs as a whole. I was alone in that.” He shrugs nonchalantly because it’s in the past now and not worth revisiting.

”I’m remaining here with a rank, so no, I haven’t forfeited the island completely. I still hold a rank unlike you. I stepped aside and agreed to a new responsibility as to not abandon the island. I suppose you wouldn’t know that since it was agreed upon before everyone decided to arrive. I’m remaining here to continue healing the plague’s symptoms.” His expression is stern, impassive. Everything is tumbling out of control unnecessarily, and certainly he is to blame. Blinking, he finds the woman with Phoenix wings, observing her before nodding his head. ”Yes, I screamed. It doesn’t feel great being bitten, but I’m capable of healing myself.” His shoulders roll again, working the muscles that were previously torn. With everything dragging out and with increasing restlessness, Tiphon deeply sighs. ”Wallace, are you head of your family or not? You seem decisive yet contradictory with what you told me previously versus now. Castile is still willing to talk despite everyone acting out like bigots. You, or whomever in your family is the sole head, go talk to him and sort this out because this circling banter is a waste of energy.” His closing statement nearly echoes the rebuttal of the newly-arrived male. He, admittedly, breaches good points – a seeming rarity in this conversation. With a snort and shake of his head, Tiphon resumes his brief quiet and glances among them, waiting for this to all end.

TIPHON
    STARLACE AND INFECTION

you should see me in a crown; your silence is my favorite sound

It was an ungraceful half-pouncing crash that announced him as he tried to make certain his front legs cleared the tall bush. They did. It was just he rest of him that failed to follow correctly and crushed noisily through snapping twigs, his wings arched and flapping erratically like a frantic bat. He shook himself out the moment he could stand freely, his dragon head lifting with an irritated huff.

Ridiculous things, bushes.

His sea-blue eyes leveled with intent on the gathering in the near distance where his father stood among others. After a calculating inspection across their backs he was loping forward to join him, the sun striking reflecting rays off his skin like a coat of golden armor. He pressed himself firmly into this dad's side, purring deep in his throat and sliding possessively forward. His snout reached up to graze young teeth over Dad's shoulder in affection, but his attention was quickly snapping to another dragon in front of them. She was young too, maybe his own age or a little older and dressed in greys and lavender. And hostile.

He curled his lips back with a silent threat though the focus in his stare was still heavy and curious. Didn't matter how fun she might be, or attractive, she was blood and flesh in his mouth if she meant to attack his dad. His nostrils flared and after a long, pointed look he let his attention slip to the side to register that this other man was of their own blood. Intense again, he pushed his nose into the man's shoulder with a wary growl rumbling so quietly, gusting a huff to stir his scent and capture it. He did it again just to be sure, and yes, he smelled like them. Like Dad. Good. He liked that. He rewarded the man with a sharp nip, absently licking the salt of his skin off his teeth as his focus once again shifted.

His head ducked next, peering under Dad's belly to his other side where another child was with her mother. He froze in place, apalled and confused at how he hadn't caught her scent before now. He scrambled ungraciously under Dad, surging to the other side to stand too close to her, chest pushed against her side and his head arched over her in a move for dominance. The glint in his eyes was feral, his teeth bared slightly again, but he recognized she was theirs too. She just would not be his better, he'd be sure of it. He would be the eldest between them.

Gilt

the gilded stormdragon
    Bloody hell. No, literally, that was what this felt like. He was chit-chatting with lil boyo, Baddie, on one of their walks when the dragon swept in and attacked. He moved to shove the boy off into a safe cove while he watched the way it ripped into their leader and then turned into a stallion. An awfully unfair fight, if you asked him. And so naturally, Tiphon lost. Not much to do against a damned dragon. They were too far to hear much more than the screams, not all the words that followed. The intention was rather easy to figure out, though. When the stranger walked away, Reilly'd had a desire to go to him, maybe slip him a bit of the black stuff that harbors within him. But he knew he could heal himself, and he had bigger things to worry about now. With Badden flanking him, he moved in after this dragon-man. Along with the rest of their family. Kali surprised him though, becoming her own version of a dragon to face this threat. Beautiful and sleek. And then her mother. His Lacey. He was still getting used to her new power as she was herself, with ice she didn't yet know how to control. He moved in to settle alongside her. And then Kirby, with his... self, taking up her other side. Everyone else swarmed in and- lord- so many of them. So many words. There was hardly room for speech, so Reilly remained quiet and watchful, listening. He wasn't really interested in war, but he would join his family in winning one- should it come to that. This island was their refuge, and he had equally no interest in allowing someone to force their way in and threaten it. So far, he claimed to want to change nothing, other than their leadership. But how could they possibly believe that with the way he swooped in with his power and forced Tiphon to submit. He was with Lacey- they hadn't wanted to lead. Had been glad to have the porcelain stallion take the position. They respected him. Had peace. And then this beast had the gall to overthrow the angel-man with weighted violence, and then expected the rest of them to seriously follow along happily. No. They'd been happy in their peace. Raising children and trying to avoid a plague. But they would not sit idly by while their leader got slammed to the dirt in a pool of his blood. Their version of rallying to him was to rally FOR him, and all they stood for.

But then Tiphon appeared, all trace of the dragon's wounds gone, but an awful fire in his eyes that was rather unbecoming for him, if Reilly was asked. He came and stood- bloody hell- BESIDE the man who'd attacked him so viciously. What the blooming hell was this?! Spewing words of bitterness at them- at Lacey- as though they were in the wrong for questioning him. All but speaking of kicking them off the island. The fuck? Reilly snorted, ears going back. But just as he might have said something in retort, Kirby began spewing things right back at him. Once more, there was too much going on- back and forth- so he bit his tongue and waited. He agreed with some of what Kirby said, although maybe with a little less tact than he would have used. But Kerberos was hardly known for having much tact at all. But every bit of what was directed at this Castile felt warranted. This takeover just didn't sit well with any of them. Except Tiphon, apparently. That bit just baffles him.

"We were GLAD to have you as leader, Tiphon. With all the turmoil happening outside this land, and some issues of our own to deal with, it was a relief to have you take the responsibility of the land. We were trying to be happy in what peace we've found here. Trying to raise our children here. Sure, we'd go back to Ischia. But it isn't safe there, and who knows if or when it will be. It's safe here- or it was.." A sideways glance at Castile before he returned his blue-green gaze to Tiphon. "This is our home, and our sanctuary. Has been since before you came. And we were glad when you did." His face was sincere, earnest. Before falling a bit into dismay and frustration. "I watched you fall under him. We came to stand for you. You gave the land to this stranger, and I get it- what choice did he leave you? But we can't simply place blind trust in a stranger who comes without warning to a fight as a dragon. As Kirby mentioned, there are other ways this could have gone down, but he chose force and hiding behind his power to take because he wanted. Maybe we could wait and see if his claims hold and if he holds true to keeping this a safe harbor. But if not, who's to say he won't do incredibly more damage if he wanted, without warning. Clearly he can. And it amazes me that you want to send us away for questioning him. A little quick to take the side of your attacker. Did you want this to happen?" A sigh and then he turns to Castile, eyeing him over. "Would have been bloody nice to have a dragon on our side. But we have too much to risk in trusting you right now. Once bitten, twice shy and all. Pardon the pun." A lazy shrug of his tattooed shoulder- a green celtic shamrock, and his eyes go to Lacey's face to await what she has to say next.

this time I’m torn, please wake me if I lose that face
    search in these eyes: there’s still fire in the darkness

More began gathering around, though she knew even this large group was not the whole of the island. Each and every one of these people were standing against this baffling change of events. Tiphon's defection and betrayal made no sense to any of them, siding with the man that attacked him violently and shattered the peace of their sanctuary. Cress's borderline defection also confused the hell out of her.

Seriously? She'd claim she wants only the sanctuary to remain safe and yet choose this vicious criminal over the residents that have lived here for years? Saying that he had just as much right to lead it as any of them. Was she insane? Did she even live here herself or was she another healer that flew in from time to time like the others?

Wallace turned to her immediately. "You're right. This was a sanctuary. He--" she gestured to Castile, "just destroyed that, or do you not see Tiphon's blood around his mouth? He has taken it by force.

"You say it must stay a sanctuary, which we all agree on and intend to keep it as such, and you say that we will overthrow any leader that changes that. Well, what do you think we are gathered here to do?" She paused to let that sink in.

"HE, just changed it. Overthrowing a leader by force is not what the sanctuary stands for. If that's what you see in a sanctuary then maybe you don't belong here. We are here to keep this a sanctuary. Siding with him will do you no favors if you ever seek to lead us." Her eyes held firmly on the woman and she waited. She was not sorry for being direct. This was a vital moment for their home and the balance hung precariously in the air. She had no problem with the woman, and likely would've trusted Cress to step up and lead them had Cress not claimed this attacker had just as much right as they did. After ripping Tiphon to shreds, no less.

Then Tiphon was surging straight to her and she squared to face him, her expression firm on this man she had almost been stupid enough to think cared for her. Or any of them. She held her ground as he pressed close and brought up their conversation from before. And it was true, obviously. Ischia was there home, would always be there home. She would not deny that, she didn’t need to. But Ischia was not safe, now was it? And yet here he stood telling her to take her children home, risk their lives, watch them get sick and die. Perhaps it was better that he was no longer their leader after all.

This was no longer the man she knew when she was so much younger. Whatever had happened to him in between Ea's reign of Ischia and now must've changed so much of that Angel. This was not him.

Kirby spoke first, explaining in no uncertain terms that her absence at his meeting was due to the fact that she was off on a mission to help this world in the only way she could. She was not a healer, had no power at all, no magic. A quest, she could do. And she did. Without notifying her family where she was going, and coming home surprised that they'd even noticed her missing. She was to blame for their absences as well, since they had been desperate to find her.

But she let Kerberos tell him that and didn't see reason to repeat it.

She would not apologize for helping this world in the only way she knew how. That is what their sanctuary was here for, was it not?

Tiphon added that this was a sanctuary and that if Castile did anything to change that they'd overthrow him. She scoffed in answer and turned away from him. The man had already changed that, and she would set it right if no one else would step up and do it.

Castile requested to speak with the head of the family, but this was not a single family opposing him. This was an entire island against this violent change and she would not speak for others. If he wished to address their community, he could say it before all of them. She nearly said as much but was once again cut off from speaking.

Another joined, speaking with a depth of wisdom that both surprised her and made her doubt herself for this job. She'd never wanted to lead anyway, but she damn well wasn't afraid to if no one else would. Unfortunately, he did not offer himself in her place, but instead asked extremely important questions.

How were they supposed to accept a new leader who would force himself upon them with violence and aggression, the exact opposite of what their sanctuary stands for?

And to Castile: Why should they believe him? His promises built on lies. Why should they trust him over any of them that have already been living here amongst each other peacefully?

Wallace turned a heavy stare on Castile, waiting for his answer to these vital questions that they all wished to know. The answer never came. In fact, his response had her brows shooting up in surprise. It turned out, this leader was not much of a leader at all. Instead of answering, he turned it on the residents and blamed them. Played the victim. This meeting just got wilder and wilder as he continued. He should've stopped while he was ahead, and she nearly felt embarrassed for him.

"Yelled at? Threatened?" she said with a laugh. Dear god, this man. He made such a beautiful innocent victim, didn't he? Not a single one of them had yelled or cursed or thrown magic around. Not a single threat had been made. Not a single one of them had done anything but speak civilly to this beast, which was far more than reasonable. They had every right to treat him with disrespect as he has met them with by desecrating their haven, and yet they all held their heads level, their voices firm and direct but not malicious. This poor, powerful dragon. Perhaps their island was too hard for him.

She laughed again, at Castile brushing away his attack as if it was of no consequence. See? Tiphon wasn't hurt. Everything was fine.

"I guarantee you were not aware that he could heal when you tried to kill him, otherwise you would've just asked for the leadership. He has seemed so far extremely eager to pass it off to you for gods know what reason. Sure as hell doesn't make sense to any of us. So do not use his healthy body as a tool to minimize what you've done. The facts are that you have taken this by force and we the residents will not honor your leadership. By attacking our leader, you have attacked us and threatened our sanctuary. We have no reason to speak to you so generously when we can just throw you out. And I fully intend to."

She ignored the child that joined them, a random face that seemed only to join to stir up more trouble. She ignored Tiphon when he spoke next as well, dismissed the insults he threw at them. He was no longer their leader, by this attack and by his choice not to fight, and he had nothing worthwhile to say. This discussion was between the people of Island Resort and the overthrower, no matter how many times they asked for the head of her family. This was not a single family opposing this ridiculous situation.

What a damn mess this all was. And still no other besides herself had offered to lead them, because clearly this man was not suitable for it. Not here.

She sighed and faced the islanders, dredging up her memory of the only Queen she'd ever known and wishing she were here to tell her what the hell to do. Her chin lifted just as she'd seen the Queen do, not in authority but in grace, and chilling frost melted and slid down her shoulders.

"LISTEN PLEASE." She spoke clearly, enunciating and projecting her voice so that all would hear. There would be no miscommunications here. "Anyone who feels that a leader should play the victim after taking a peaceful home by force then turn the problems he's created back on the people and blame them, then you are free to follow this man and his family out.

"The rest of us who intend to keep this island a sanctuary for families and the sick and those in need seeking refuge as it was intended for, then I offer myself in our current lack of leadership. Whether you choose to keep me in charge is entirely up to you after we've dealt with this immediate issue. My only goal right now is to remove him as by his own actions he has show us he does not belong here, and I ask that you give me the power to do so.

"I am calling a vote of leadership. Wallace, or Castile."

She slowly turned to face the criminal trying to force himself upon them, and still speaking clearly she addressed him. "This is a Sanctuary, a place of peace and healing and companionship. Your violence is unwelcome here. You are unwelcome here. You do not belong here. You have shown as much in your own actions and not based on anything anyone here has said to or about you. This is of your own making."

She kept her face on him, but spoke to the others of the island, holding strong to the words of the wise man that joined them. This island is meant to be a sanctuary, welcoming to any who might need it, regardless of their reasons or their past.

"If I am made our leader," her voice rang out strong, hiding the wild nerves firing inside her, her iced-brown eyes solidly on the threat to their peace, "I will tell you now what my next step would be."

"As a sanctuary, I imagine we do not make a habit of throwing anyone out save those that have earned it. Tiphon will be allowed to remain and continue to offer his aid if he wishes. He has not given us reason to remove him, only to dislike him greatly." Her stare slid to him, and she deeply hoped he found his memories again, remembered who he once was before. They would all welcome him openly. She spun slowly around to the fellow islanders again and continued.

"Castile, however, has shown that he is not respectful or observant of our home and what it stands for, what it was founded for, what it was intended for. He will be removed and exiled for one Beqanna year in the hopes that he can learn in the meantime how to control himself in a peaceful environment such as this. He would be welcome to return afterwards so long as he respects our purpose here in the future."

She glanced to him again. "His family would be allowed to remain here peacefully should they wish to given that they have not acted in violence and joined him in the destruction of our sanctuary." Quietly, with small edge of soft regret in her voice. "We would have loved to have dragons live here among us. It is a shame you chose this path."

For the last time in this gathering she turned to face her fellow refugees. "I ask that you vote now, grant me the power to clean up this mess and restore our sanctuary to its rightful state. Then after, we can discuss any new leadership or co-leadership suggestions you may have." And she thoroughly hoped someone would have one.

Wallace

I have permission to call a vote, but since one is already running I'll just add it to that thread Smile