• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

nothing like a little fear to make a paper man crumble; magnus
    She had not been far, she never would be, but there were sharp parts still tucked behind soft curls and gentle curves. Epithet had needed time to seek the splinters and remove them carefully to not lose the grip of the jagged pieces.

Tephra blossomed, as Epithet observes from her place in the sky, lounging high up int he clouds. She had dressed herself in all black, her tail long and luxurious velvet, vivid violet eyes careful to pluck the form of the buckskin man from his interactions. He was busy enough with his comings and goings of daily life and Epi felt she were more of a distraction to the somber man.

It had been easy to stay away, she could easily take the form of a tree, a rock, the cawing crow that passed overhead from time to time so she may watch Magnus from her distance. She had been a patient mare, abiding the rules, not choosing to inflict and sort of sway upon mortal's lives.

Until she thinks she is ready for the commitment it required to give to the land and to him.

The inky black form leaves from her place high above, wings of the crow spread wide and blotting out the sun for a few months, she glides to the ground with ancient perfection. Her violet eyes catch the familiar for of Magus nestled among vegetation and in company of a few others. She does not interrupt but simply smiles, the tangle of coconut and vanilla mingles upon her skin, her scent distinct and prolific. Epi waits till he can break away and meet where she stands a bit off. "Magnus, it's good to see you." The black mare slips from the onyx coat to that of her porcelain grey brushed with rose blush. She is happy to see her friend, wanting to make things right and be a presence in his life once again, though she could not speak these words aloud.

E P I T H E T

@laura

although this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
    we were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

His days are full, the routine of them returning despite the chaos inflicted by the plague.

The dust has settled and he has managed to steer Tephra into a position of power in the West, continuing to keep her strong despite the shifting, despite the vulnerabilities such a time always presents. It is enough to make him feel content, relaxing into his schedule and habits, alert to the possibility of danger but no longer feeling as though he has to be hyper vigilant. He even manages to sleep, as little as it may be.

Today though is an easy day, and he is happy to mingle with Tephra’s residents and families—checking in on them and ensuring their safety before breaking away to turn to the border. Perhaps he would make the journey to the field—although it is a further trek than before—or perhaps he would simply walk the outskirts of his kingdom, keeping an eye on the areas where land met sea or neighboring kingdoms.

He never gets to make a decision though because before he can decide, she is there. There is something exotic about her—something ancient and powerful and wholly her own—and he smiles when she sheds the ink and the violent for her more usual form. “Epithet,” he greets her warmly, moving forward through the vegetation and letting his nose brush against her cheek. “I am so glad to see you again.”

He steps back so that he can get a better look at her, angling his head as his lopsided grin grows.

“Are you here to tease me with your presence before you flutter in the wind again?”

Magnus cannot help the teasing in his words, his gold-flecked eyes sparking with humor.

magnus

@[Epithet]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Just his existence draws a smile over the pale lips, her eyes watching with a playful glint. The handsome man was also so warm and inviting and Epi thinks she could tell him anything with amount of quiet trust she receives from him.

"I believe I will stay here...with you." The tone of her voice is low and without flitting girlish charm. Epithet has no desire to weave a web of illusion for it felt wrong to even fathom the notion of so near the genuine man. Epi tilts her head to the side, admiring the way the warm spring air toys with the ends of his dark hair and how she suddenly felt a twinge of envy.

The mare wants to better understand the Tephra leader and much like a time ago on the beach, she takes his side and gently presses her muzzle to his shoulder. "Let's walk." The smaller equine offers with a smile. "Tell me of all the things I may have missed while watching from above." A mildly put way she observed him and his doings. Magnus, without question, was the sole reason she remained close to Tephra and would make it her permanent home.

Epi is aware the plague was rampant but wonders if it has made it's descent upon Tephra. Did she risk her well-being in the company of her tanned companion.

E P I T H E T

Her company is easy and he relaxes into it, his scarred mouth tilting upward when she says that she is planning on staying in Tephra. “We would be honored to have you here,” he says, nodding when she suggests that they take a walk. It is a beautiful day on the island and he tilts his head backward so that the sun can wash down on him. He would never grow tired of these perfect days, the humid air and the warmth enough to put him in the happiest of moods. It is home, he thinks. It always would be now.

When she inquires about the state of the land, he rolls a shoulder.

“I am sure you have seen that the plague that is running rampant throughout Beqanna,” he says mildly, although there is no fear in his voice. “Tephra has several residents who have been struck with it, but we are managing to keep most everyone safe for now.” He himself is a carrier of the disease although he has no way of knowing that it runs in his veins; that he is, essentially, dangerous for anyone he meets.

But not here—never here. “Still, the land remains protected due to our previous leader, and we enjoy our status as a safe haven for those who need to protect the far reaches of the sickness.”

Another pause, the stallion contemplative as they move further inland.

“But what of you? How have you been since I saw you last?”

magnus

She listens with open and honest interest. Magnus had been the first in a long time that could capture her close enough to him that she could feel the warmth of his aura surrounding her. Both ears flicker forward, a little smile blooming upon her dark lips as she almost expresses the adoration she felt growing for him.

"Yes, the plague. I've heard the stories but luckily I've managed to avoid it." The mare remarks with the shrug of her shoulders, eyes closing as she laughs gently, the sound nearly startles her for it was like the chime of a silver bell. It had been some time since she had laughed...felt relaxed...felt wanted. The dark lashes lift to reveal her deep blue eyes as she looks upward to the sienna man. He stands handsomely against the perfect blue sky with dark hair licking at the curve of his throat.

The smile fades to one of shyness when he asks of adventures since she had left for the sky one day and never returend until now. "I've been content to float above the land for some time then when I grew bored I simply became your ocean. Ive never been far from you..." The words trail thoughtfully as she realizes that she had in fact not been ever to far from the quiet man. She had been the cloud to shade him when the weather grew too hot, a fresh stream of cold water in the damp humidity. Magnus drew the shapeshifter to him in a way that was frightening and also wonderful but there is no way he could have ever known that.

Epi lifts her gaze off and over the surf, studying the magnetic pull of the shore. "I'm very happy to be back, Magnus." She speaks softly as she continues to look on. It felt good to be missed and to ve remembered. She matter to someone again and the feeling was delicious. The smaller woman looks over a shoulder to the gentle man. He made her want to be a better horse, something in him spoke to the gentleness of her soul that she had long since thought shattered. She just stares at him now with a smile on her lips, enjoying the way the water lapped at the sands. In this moment, with him, felt like heaven.

E P I T H E T

@laura

He has no idea what it is like to slip into the water and become the ocean or flit along the wind and then become the very breeze that had once carried you. He has no concept of the magic that blurs the edges of her consciousness, stretching her control over her body into something unimaginable and infinite. He is but a man and an exceedingly normal one at that. He is old, and now immortal, but he has no other gifts to speak of—just brawn and grit and the ever present willingness to bleed for those things that he loves.

Still, she interest him and he listens to her words, enchanted by the idea of it. “I had thought the ocean had looked particularly lovely lately,” he teases, gold-flecked eyes warm beneath the sun-bleached edges of his forelock. “I do prefer you in this form though. It makes conversations a little easier.” Not that he minded the idea of her being the waves washing up on the shore or the leaves shading his back.

He continues to walk alongside her, taking a deep breath and feeling the humidity pull into his chest, sitting like a stone there, heavy and full. He has no way of being able to truly articulate the way that this feels so comforting—the way that the land has become his only home. He has lived so many places in his life; to have found one that suits him so well is a rare and pleasant surprise.

“What do you want to do, now that you’re back?”

Again, he looks at her from the corner of his eye, his scarred lips lifting into a smile.

“Other than enjoy such pleasant walks with me, of course.”

magnus

@[Epithet]