• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I'd Like To Get To Know You [Lilitha]
    Despite the large amount of meadowland that covered Taiga's surface, enough trees were dotted in the landscape that provided sufficient cover for the horses that lived there from the sun, in addition to the various small forest animals that called this rebuilt kingdom home.

It also served another purpose... to give an almost unearthly presence to any creature speeding from one patch of shadows to another, barely a blur across the landscape before once more being swallowed into the darkness...

The pounding of hooves could be heard echoing through the silence, creating the effect of an army rather than a single horse so quiet was the land. The golden stallion racing through the meadows disappeared into a patch of trees before reappearing again on the other side, all but giving the illusion of a ground mole using it's network of tunnels to try to avoid a predator. The stallion practically vanished in the trees due to the darkness of the shadows they gave off, despite the brilliant shine of his shed out coat and rippling muscles under his skin.

Aten's powerful strides propelled him over the ground with the ease of a dolphin leaping out of the ocean water, his hooves thundering and carrying him over each small hill that appeared on the terrain. His long mane whipped behind him from the wind, his forelock split in half and laying on either side of his face between his eyes and ears. His nostrils were flared from the exertion he was placing on his body, his lungs starting to burn from the run he had started several miles back in the other direction.

But the stallion's energy spurred him on, and Aten did not cease in his galloping pace even when a sudden stone threatened to trip him up, or when an object appeared that he easily cleared with a single powerful jump stride. When he landed, the ground shook beneath his hooves, but he carried on with ease, as if not even realizing he'd just jumped over something.

Aten's piercing eyes caught sight of his ultimate destination not too far away; the winding river that stretched through part of Taiga's southeastern border. He kept his stride easy and quiet, but maintained his fast pace, rapidly approaching the river. Only when he was a few yards away did the stallion slow down, but not gradually.

Digging his hind legs under his body, hooves planting to the ground, the stallion slid to a rapid stop, kicking up dirt and dust in his display. His tail and mane, still going with the motion, flew forward before returning to their resting positions against his hindquarters and neck, the left portion of his forelock coming to rest in the middle of his forehead while the right remained where it was. Aten shook his head to clear any of the dust that might've gotten trapped in his nose, blowing air out of his nostrils and giving his muscular neck a good shake.

Once in a while, Aten just needed a really good run, and that one had been quite suitable. He could've gone on for even longer, but he'd worked it out of his system, so for now, he was content to stop and leave it at that. Standing still for a moment, the stallion turned his head in different directions to look around where he'd stopped near the river, on the lookout for anything threatening nearby. Determining it was safe, he walked the rest of the few yards to the river, his hooves crickling at the rocks that lined the bank.

Walking in until he was pastern deep, Aten swished his tail and lowered his head for a drink, quenching the dryness of his throat. Even though he'd exerted a lot of energy, the stallion didn't need much to keep him going, and once he was done, he lifted his head and licked the water from his lips as he stepped away from the river.

Twitching his chin to shake off the rest of the water, the proud stallion's eyes gazed out over the expanse of Taiga to the northeast, his gaze turning soft as he pondered his thoughts. He'd been thinking a lot lately, about what he wanted to do here for himself in Taiga. Of course, he wished to support his friends, that much was a given. Both those old, like Ruan, and new, like Lilitha and her filly.

Aten smiled in spite of himself when he recalled those two. Though he hadn't spoken to them much since his arrival, due to spending time with Ruan to catch up on the kingdom's business so he could once again find his niche here, he remembered their first meeting and the impression they left on him. Lilitha, a tall, proud mare, with kind eyes and a good heart. Her fiery spirited daughter Singe, a playful filly with an adventurous tune. He liked the both of them; he didn't know their stories, but for the time, he was going by first impression.

The golden stallion had an idea of what he wanted to do here, the problem would be enacting it. He never thought of living his life like his sire, but had only considered it due to the number of troubled mares he came across in the Field. He could offer them a sanctuary here in Taiga, like his sire did for his dam, but at the same time, he didn't want it... he only wanted one...

Aten's head drifted down slightly, but he still maintained a proud stance as he looked over Taiga, a gentle breeze coming by every so often that ruffled his mane and tail before letting them rest against his body. He was quite, his body rigid but peaceful, his eyes searching and taking everything in as he got lost in his thoughts.

@[Lilitha]
    Taiga had been peaceful despite the threat of plague, the rest of the world perhaps just too busy to cause trouble. Where some lands sent out emissaries and made diplomatic overtures, Lilitha was content to let Taiga remain self-contained, more interested in what went on within her borders than whatever chaos stirred outside. And there was always chaos.

Once again, Lilitha and Singe made the rounds of the territory, stretching their legs and exploring while at the same time doing a border check, marking the territory with signs of occupation and drawing out the boundaries so Singe would know where home ended and the rest of the world began. It was never an uneventful task, but they rarely encountered others of their species. This time, however, they bumped into a familiar face , a golden stallion standing near the river. It took Lilitha a moment to place him, as she’d only seen him the once, but before long she was smiling and walking his way, a reluctant and suddenly nervous Singe in tow.

“Aten,” she called just loudly enough to be heard over the sounds of the water nearby. “So nice to see you again. How are you doing?” Singe of course tucked herself right up against Lilitha’s side, wings drawn in close to her body the way she always did when she was trying to hide. She at least didn’t hide her face in Lilitha’s mane, which was progress. “It’s okay, little love,” Lilitha crooned gently. “I’ve got you.”
    The water was decently loud enough that one would have to speak a bit louder for those standing near it to hear whoever wanted to talk, but not having to deal with the strain of yelling. Aten's ears turned back when he heard someone call his name, and he moved his head to look behind him, seeing two familiar faces approaching.

Stepping away from the water some so that Lilitha and Singe could hear him, the golden stallion gave both of them a small smile, feeling a small tingle in his heart when Lilitha asked him if he was well and saying it was nice to see him again. Aten had to agree; the mare was a welcomed friend and he enjoyed her company. Singe, while shy, was also pleasant to be around.

He dipped his head to the mare to say hello, "I am doing well Lilitha, thank you. I am glad to see you and Singe are in good health."

Aten did not fail to notice Singe pressing against her dam's side, but he did not lock his eyes on her just yet, in the hopes to ease her nerves. The filly's wings were wrapped around her abdomen, as if trying to protect herself, and Lilitha crooned to her daughter to try and calm her. Aten glanced from dam to daughter, debating, but came to a decision. He just hoped he wouldn't make the situation worse, create an unpleasant feeling for the filly.

Lowering his proud head to meet the filly at eye level, Aten spoke to her in a gentle, kind voice, "You have no need to fear me young one; I am certain your dam would not let you near me if she did not feel I was a trusted friend.

"I realize I am still a new face to you, but, if you would like, I would very much enjoy being your friend. Would you like to be my friend Singe?"

@[Lilitha]
    Lilitha smiled at the stallion who was once again quickly making himself a valued member of Taiga. “I'm glad to see you're well, too. Thank you. Singe is settling in quite well, and she's even made a friend.” The little girl barely said a word to strangers or even acquaintances, and generally only got chatty around close friends. But she and Ruan’s young boy were good for each other, coaxing each other to play and relax and have fun. To be kids.

Unfortunately for Aten, she was still very shy around adults. Instead of responding favorably to his gentle overture, she huffed and his behind Lilitha’s imposing frame, clutching her wings tighter to her sides. “He means us no harm, little love, look,” she crooned, reaching out to breathe in his scent, to exchange a breath in greeting. “see? Safe.”

She wasn't sold though, and Lilitha have the poor man a rueful smile. “I'm sorry,” she said, bumping her hip gently against her baby girl, who just huffed again and tucked her face against Lilitha's back leg. “She takes her sweet time getting comfortable around people. Is there anything I can do for you?”
    Aten's soft eyes were locked on the dark mare as she offered up a small explanation of how she'd been settling into Taiga, even telling the golden stallion that her filly had made a new friend. Even though he hadn't been here very long, still not even a year, Aten had met a number of horses, including Ruan's newest little one. Though he was reminded of Jinju when he saw the colt, the stallion did not comment on anything, instead acting friendly toward Ruan's colt and even starting the beginning stages of a friendship with the young one.

Lilitha took a turn at trying to coax her daughter to come out and finally meet Aten, stretching her neck out and blowing air through her nostrils to exchange scents to show Singe there was nothing to fear.

Unfortunately, their efforts were for naught, as the filly once again moved to stand behind her dam and bury her face on Lilitha's hind leg. Aten just smiled at the display, fondly reminded of when he did the same, according to his dam, when he met his older sister Eiria when she came to visit.

Lilitha tried to apologize for her filly's actions, to which Aten offered, "It's all right, nothing to apologize for. I realize that... well, my size could be a contributing issue," he stated with a sheepish smile.

He looked to the filly again, "Well, I do hope you could, in time, consider me a friend Singe. I'd very much like that."

He lifted his eyes to look at Lilitha again, "Oh no, that's quite all right. I merely came out here to have a good run and stretch my legs. But, well, while we're out here, I would enjoy some company," his smile turned from sheepish to hopeful, "If you're not busy that is. We haven't really talked much even though we've met a few times, and, I'd like to get to know you, if you don't mind sharing."

@[Lilitha]
    Lilitha tilted her head, a little puzzled at Aten’s comment on his size. He was maybe a touch taller than her, but whoever her father was had left her with a strong, drafty build, wide hips and shoulders, and if she didn’t tower over him, she was at least reasonably certain she outweighed him. “I’d be surprised if that was why, but I suppose it could contribute?” She supposed he was on the tall side, and maybe Singe found that intimidating? But if she’d bonded to someone as big and broad and scarred as Lilitha, she rather doubted a couple of inches more height would make a difference. More likely she was just shy and slow to warm up around new people.

Singe continued right on hiding, doing her best to be invisible behind Lilitha and clutching her batlike wings to her sides as if they could protect her. Or camouflage her, perhaps, not that they actually did. But Lilitha imagined it was the sensation of being held that made her feel a little safer, not any external effect. “In time she might,” Lilitha said with a little smile, glancing back at her girl. She’d made great strides in the time since Lilitha had found her. She hoped it was only a matter of time until the girl felt secure enough in herself and the world around her to be a little more adventurous.

Her gold eyes widened and she turned her attention back to Aten. “Oh. I--yes, of course. We were just having a nice walk. We’re in no rush to get anywhere. If you’d like, you could accompany us. We could walk and...talk?” She nodded in the direction they’d been traveling, taking a hesitant step and glancing to see if he was up for it. Singe of course quickly scurried to her other side so Lilitha would be between them. “What...um, what would you like to know?”
    Aten's perceptive gaze saw Singe duck further behind Lilitha for cover, her tiny wings wrapped around her body in a form of comfort. The stallion was briefly reminded of a similar way to how his own dam would embrace him when he was a small foal, his eyes softening as, in a show of peace, he took a small step back. He knew that probalbly wouldn't make much of a difference to how Singe saw him for the time being, but it would be a slow process.

If he didn't take the first step, there was no way he'd eventually get the filly to come out of her shell.

In response to the stallion's offer to keep him company, Lilitha's eyes seemed to widen before inviting Aten to walk alongside the mare and her filly on their walk. Aten's eyes brightened, his gaze turning peaceful, "I would like that very much," he replied as he took a step in the mare's direction to follow her as the trio started to move on.

Not surprising, Singe moved around to Lilitha's other side so the mare was between the filly and the stallion. Aten did not look at her nor offer a word on it, instead thinkinf of questions to ask the mare to learn more about her.

"Well, where in Beqanna did you hail from before settling here into the Taiga? I feel I am correct to assume you are a native to this land at least. What was your life like when you were young?"

@[Lilitha]