• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Thread Rating:
    • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
    Request from the Queen: Round 3

Deep within the winter valleys

among the snowdrift wide,

you can find a magic place

where all the fairies hide.

It had taken them some time, which the Pixie had expected. But the fact that they managed to find the correct path was admittedly impressive. But she wasn’t done with them yet. While watching the group grow ever closer through her mirror, she grinned.

“I congratulate you on making it this far,” she said to them. She looked away from the mirror and towards her Guardian, speaking where the newcomers could no longer hear her voice. It was meant only for her Guardian. “I will leave things to you for now,” was all she said before she spread her wings and flew off to where she couldn’t be seen.

There, her Guardian awaited their arrival.

Once they finally emerged from the end of the caverns, they were greeted by an open area at the top of the mountain, with cliffs bordering the edge of the open space. Vast lands could be seen from this height, a whole world seemingly beneath the mountain and stretching far beyond what the eye could see. Above, the sun was at its highest point, shining in all its brilliance in the middle of a clear blue sky.

Opposite of the group stood a magnificent tree with gray bark and leaves of pure white, bearing fruit of many colors, each shimmering with magics. Within the trunk of the tree was an oval shaped sheet of ice, embedded within and showing the horses’ reflection clearly.

But what stood next to the tree was a large beast with crystal-like scales of pale blue. Horns like icicles jutted from the top back of its long, slender skull, with matching horns running down the spine of its long body to the tip of its whip-like tail. It had terrifying jaws that could snap bones in two, claws that could slice flesh with ease, and wings large and powerful enough to blow the horses away with a single beat.

“I am the Ice Dragon, Guardian of her Highness,” he spoke, his voice deep and rumbling with his fiery blue gaze boring down at the group with such intensity and fierceness. “The fact that you have come this far is impressive indeed. However, this does not mean you are worthy of claiming what you seek. Where is your purity? One must be equally pure as the Queen in order to pass me.”

He huffed a powerful breath, its cold temperature reaching the horses and blowing through their manes and tails like a gust of wind. “Show me which is the purest of you lot. Battle until one remains standing.”

He narrowed his flaming eyes, carefully examining their every move. Their decision to obey or not would determine what happens next. Were they fools? Or were they wise?

The Ice Dragon, Guardian of the Pixie Queen has appeared! In this round, your characters are to carefully consider the Dragon’s conditions. Pay close attention to his careful wording, and keep in mind the posts before. How your character responds will determine whether or not you pass this final round, so be very careful.

Rules
    • One character/entry per player.
    • No editing whatsoever after posting! If you need to edit, send me a PM for permission and explain why first. But ONLY if editing is absolutely necessary. That way I know you aren’t cheating.
    • You may use your existing traits and abilities if desired.
    • Defects given out will be temporary, unless you want to keep them.
    • You will be judged on obedience to the rules, creativity, grammar, and readability. 
    • Word count limit will be 2,000 words.
    • If you fail to obey the rules you will be disqualified.
    • Prizes will be given to the two top players at the end, as well as to the 2-3 runners up, depending on the number of entries.
    • Entry deadline will be January 31st at 6:00 pm (CT)

Roseen ~ Diarmuit ~ Reva
    Eifa ~ Sunniva ~ Thorgal
    Camomila
    The ethereal voice chimes once more as they step out onto the mountaintop, and it sends a shiver down Pteron’s blue spine. The Queen of the Frost Pixies has an unmistakable voice, even when it comes from the air around them rather than a tangible body. Pteron’s eyes are caught by the movement of the dragon long before he sees the tree. Unlike his Queen, the icey monster looks incredibly solid, and incredibly dangerous.

The tobiano colt barely manages to keep himself visible. He instinctively wants to disappear and protect himself, but instead he stands firm, shimmering only slightly before becoming decidedly visible. Ilma had not run in the crystal blue caves, and so Pteron cannot leave her here to face this dragon. The yearling has already told her that he is no great warrior, but regardless of this he moves to stand abreast of the white mare and the other pair – the spotted mare and the fox-horse.

The dragon is of a mind with the Queen of the Frost Pixies, for his thunderous voice also speaks words of congratulations on their progress thus far. Maybe he is not there to oppose them, Pteron thinks. He hasn’t attacked, after all. Maybe he is here to give them the jewel? Pteron is eternally optimistic after all, as children are so prone to be. The dragon’s fierceness, the intensity in his blue-flame gaze feels as though it bores down into Pteron’s very core. He returns it as best he is able, his chest puffed out like Dad’s when he’d faced down the jackels and his olive eyes steady and firm.

The dragon’s breath blows back his mane and shakes the feathers of his wings, but Pteron does his best to not shiver or step back. His eyes water in the wind, but he blinks it away before it can fall as tears and be taken as a sign of weakness or fear. He might be afraid (and what boy would not be against a creature that could swallow him in an instant?) but that does not mean that he will back down. They have made it this far, after all. He cannot be the one to give up when the Ice Queen is counting on all of them.

The four of them had made it to the Mountain on their own, but they had needed each other to make it through the cave. Their individual abilities had gotten them through the obstacles in their path, but only because they had worked together from the beginning. It is this sense of solidarity that emboldens him. Why should they separate now, after all they have done together? Just because a dragon has told them to?

No, Pteron thinks. He remembers the words of the Ice Queen too well, and the cold of the cavernous mountain too strongly.

“We are one.” He says to the dragon, his voice still firm and steady. It will break if he tries to shout aloud, he knows, but he suspects that such a large dragon must also have ears large enough to hear him. “One team, here for the jewel.” None of them know what the jewel looks like, he realizes, and only then does his gaze turn to the tree beside the dragon. The glowing fruits that hang from it shimmer like the boy assumes a jewel must, but there are so many. Why would the Queen of the Frost Pixies be so reluctant to share if she has so many life saving jewels?

“Are those the jewels?” The boy asks the dragon. If they are not, he reasons, perhaps they don’t have to pass the dragon after all, and can stand as one and be judged by their purity of heart as a team rather than individuals.

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

Ilma isn’t a fighter - but she’s not one to easily back down either. So when all the work is done, after getting lost and finally finding the way up, marked by the pixie’s own footprints (or perhaps by the wind of her wings whipping away any snowdust, replacing it with fairy dust), and they finally make it - when all that has passed and they’ve risked their lives, she’s definitely not one to go fight her group members and then fight this so-called dragon creature for a jewel that she has no use for, herself.

Hell, no.

First of all, she believes that whomever is a full hundred percent pure of heart is either a newborn child, or one without a past. Which unfortunately is neither of them, although Pteron in his young age might come close. Secondly, she distrusts the words of the guardian. They differ too much from what the Ice Queen had said earlier. ”This is not a competition.” she outs before anyone else speaks - quickly refusing whatever battle may come.

Pteron, sweet Pteron already is with her on that, however. She smiles to him although he is focused on the dragonic ice guardian creature, agreeing with him when he says they are already one - one team, one goal. He is also quick to point out they are here for the jewel, and she nods. The white mare steps up besides her new little friend.

”We’re not here to battle. We’re here to help cure the Ice Queen’s loved one, and time is of essence. I don’t know who it is or how much magic it will take, but I’m quite certain that we are her last resort. Tell me, who are you to let someone’s life depend on your own judgement of purity?” Can’t he see the irony in that? If only they hadn’t made it so hard to come here, the Ice Queen could have come here herself. And be judged by them - now she had had to turn to the four of them, because the Frost Pixie and her Guardian wanted to test people.

”I may not be the purest of heart. I’ve never really forgiven my wrongdoer for what he did, instead I called him whatever names I could think of when I saw him again. It’s not my proudest moment. But throughout all that life throws at us, I don’t think anyone could be fully ‘pure’, and that includes yourself, mister.”

Really, if she weren’t here to find a cure to someone’s sickness, she’d have so much more to tell him to his face. Instead, right now, she frowns at the guardian creature, not moving a single muscle towards any of her three companions.

She’d rather lose the battle than give in to this kind of idiocy - besides, she’s certain that one of them will be able to win it, if it really comes to that. She’s not quite sure if it would be Jesper or Naia, in that case; but whomever would bring the jewel down to the Ice Queen, it’s like the fairy had said when she had failed to bring in a colourful spring bloom: nobody would succeed if all did not try.

And just like that, she holds her head high knowing that she had tried to help, and if she failed she doesn’t think it’s because her beliefs or ways are wrong.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    The trail up the mountain winds and snakes around thick blue walls and icicles wider than any horse's leg. Jesper rather enjoys the lack of conversation on the way up. Not that they could talk over the clop of hooves against the slate floor, which echo down the path ahead of them. In the silence, the fox reflects on everything they know so far. Jesper could hardly prepare for what awaits them at the summit; however, working together proved successful and so, the fluffy, white canine bets doing so at the next challenge would be instrumental. The male leaves his thoughts as the Queen of the Frost Pixie's looming voice drowns out their own footfalls. The canine dips his head slightly as she recognizes their triumphs so far. However, he cannot help but feel like their biggest obstacle is still to come.

A daylight blue glow can be seen as they march closer. While excited for fresh air, Jesper maintains his composure and place in line. He steps up beside Pteron and Ilma to create a unified face as his aquamarine gaze takes in the scene before them. They stand high above the lands of Beqanna, which momentarily, causes a surreal sensation to course his body. Jesper is grateful that the blizzard rages on beneath the clouds and, they bask in a winter sun. Paces away stands a curious tree whose leaves are snow-white and yet, it bears fruit of every color imaginable. Jesper studies the beautiful structure just long enough to catch a glimpse of the reflective surface in the trunk. Then, his gaze shifts to the enormous creature beside the tree. Jesper cannot recall seeing any such beast before and yet, he senses an air of neutrality from the Guardian.

Until it speaks, thinks the fox to himself. His sensitive ears pick up the surround sound effects of the dragon's voice. He flattens them into his dense coat and closes his eyelids as the dragon's breath reaches their line. Jesper considers shifting back to equine form though, he quickly concludes that he would surely lose a fight with this creature, no matter what body he is in. The Guardian states that making it this far does not qualify them for the jewel they seek. He goes on to ask them a question. Where is your purity? Jesper ponders this for some time. The question implies that purity is a tangible item that could be stored. Furthermore, purity likely means something different to each of his comrades. The Guardian's next words leave a bitter taste in the fox's mouth. Battle should not be entered lightly. It should not be one's main method of resolving a conflict. In fact, he prefers to talk things out.

Jesper organizes his thoughts before Pteron's voice breaks the silence. Jesper listens and nods to his response - straight and to the point. He follows along as Ilma makes her points - very good ones at that. The fox stands proudly in line with the three equines, never advancing and never faltering. His aquamarine gaze locks with those of the Ice Dragon. Finally, he speaks. "I concur with my comrades. I am no more pure than any of the three beside me. I certainly have given into temptation and, found myself lost in dark thoughts." Jesper swallows his guilt back as he recalls the instances in which he acted impulsively. He quickly realizes that he has not answered the Guardian's question.

Yet again, he gets himself into trouble when using his words. The fox sighs before opening his maw for the last time (in this situation). "I do not know where my purity is. I choose to act on the moral side of my proverbial compass. With that said, I will not battle. Why should we when we stand, before you, unified as one?" Jesper keeps his canine snout up high, with pride, as he maintains his stance in-line with the equines. At this point, he can do nothing more except hope that their presentation helps the Ice Queen. After all, they came on behalf of her, in order to obtain a last hope for her true love. What could be more selfless, endearing and, pure?
    jesper
    carnage x bethanie
    devin's∇designs

it's a guarantee that he won't forget me.
    my body little, my soul heavy.

Their arrival into the dragon’s lair is hesitant - perhaps a direct reflection on the Pixie’s ominous congratulations. Naia’s initial reaction is gripping fear, the memory of the doomed sphinx still too fresh in her mind to fully address an even larger fantastic creature. Her pale brown eyes darken as the fear fades into passive discomfort. Each of her hooves clicks and shuffles beneath her as the only indication of her distress.

Restless energy created by fear -
    a feeling all too familiar.

The appaloosa studies the dragon long enough to note sharp, icy spikes and wings that could knock them from the cliff’s edge if it so wishes. Her eyes trace the steep slopes of the skin stretched taut for flight, then on to the mystic lands that spread beyond the dragon’s intimidating countenance. As she is wondering about the lands that twinkle ages away, her discomfort sours into irritation. The feisty girl is now finding it hard to think of the guardian as fearsome when his breathe stinks and tangles her mane.

Consideration comes quickly as the dragon speaks: Naia is far too quick to turn her emotions off and think analytically.

Pteron begins to speak; Naia slowly casts her gaze to the genuine child’s face. She agrees with him, for the most part. At the very beginning of their adventure, the Queen told them they must stick together. Certainly that is a hint to this particular part of their challenge, is it not? Battling for the most “pure” is terribly divisive, and who amongst them (including this Pixie) possesses any purity at all? Not only that, but what is this evasive Queen’s gauge of purity? Does she even have the same concept of purity as the adventurers?

Naia stops, imperceptibly shaking her head and blinking away the haze her rabbit hole thoughts have created. She barely catches the tail-end of Jesper’s concurrence with Pteron. Ilma, who she expects to speak next, stays silent. She realizes she must have zoned out for whatever the ivory woman must have contributed - whatever it was, Naia assumes it is in agreement with the other two. The only noises are the shufflings of the dragon and the wavering of the whimsical tree as Naia steps quietly forward.

“I, as you can probably assume, agree with my companions,” she smirks, remembering the innocent fire she felt as a child (while simultaneously forgetting she is but an ant to the protector’s strength). “Though I would like to add,” here she gulps then shakes her head, forging that hesitation into something much stronger: defiance. “I am far from pure - but so is your Queen. You cannot expect us to battle each other over a possession someone refuses to share for no apparent reason.”

She returns to her place next Jesper, levelling her gaze with the dragon’s.

Naia