• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

The Descension; All Kingdom

everything we are, it just went away
    with a slide of the tongue and a sour taste

Their conversation, though not yet a long one, seems already to be running in circles. The youth – Clayton and herself – want to keep the Sanctuary safe… isn’t that, in the long run, what is the most important? To her it is; it seems that way to Clayton as well. And perhaps she has a fear of the plague, but there is nothing wrong with that. The plague nearly killed her very best friend in the entire world... she has a lot to fear from it. And that is okay.

She remains silent for a time, though there are words – and emotions – brewing just beneath the surface. She glances down to find that her hooves have turned to paws, and sharp black talons dig anxiously into the ground as they debate back and forth on what would be best for the Sanctuary. Ilma is as hard as stone, convinced to move their home seat back to Hyaline and Amet, who must be this golden-scaled stallion who appeared before them. Amet, someone she had never met until this day, and her dear friend Kensa, who had been entrusted to be caretaker of Hyaline when her and Litotes were barely out of their teenage stages. If Kagerus and Solace trusted them to lead, why shouldn’t they trust Clayton and herself?

“So give us a year,” she says suddenly, brown eyes full of emotion. She, too, has poured her entire heart and soul into the Sanctuary in the three or so short years that she has been here, and she adores the Cove moreso than she had ever hoped to love Hyaline. “Before the plague, there were no distinctions of the East and so on. There was just the kingdoms that have branched into regions, with their subkingdoms and territories. Kagerus and Solace chose the Cove to be the seat of the East. Not to hide, as you say, but to grow strong and safe together. As a family. As the Sanctuary has always been; a family.”

She swallows past her nerves and looks to those that have gathered – they are not many, but they are her family just as much as Cress and Oxytocin and her aunts and uncles gathered in Loess, and she loves them all truly.

She wants them to give her a chance, at least.

“Let the seat of power remain here, for now. Train us so that we can know what to expect and how to grow as leaders. If, in a year, we are still not ready then, the seat of power can transfer peacefully back to Hyaline, and we can stay on as the leaders of the Cove. If the plague shows no sign of letting up, we will remain as a sanctuary to all that wish to heal or find refuge from it, but that will be all. We” – and she hopes that Clayton doesn’t mind her speaking for him – “will be completely loyal to Hyaline in that instance.”

She doesn’t know if Ilma and Amet will agree, but she wants to try, at the very least. “I love my family that I’ve built here; Solace and Kagerus have mentored me to be a half-way decent diplomat and a better person that I could have dared to dream. I am totally loyal to the Sanctuary as well, and willing to put in the hard work that it will take to protect us from any future threats. Just give us a year, that’s all I ask.”

Dawn

oh, it's gonna be a long night

basically, dawn loves everyone very much
    she wants ilma to give them a chance, to mentor them and see if they have potential as rulers
    if, after a year, they suck, hyaline and amet/kensa can take back over as the seat of the east
    clean.

Ilma
    And there's a lesson waiting to be learned
    the firestarters always get the burns
    and the good guys never get the girl

My slightly forced harshness has two effects - Clayton seems submissive, following whatever is best, though he does not agree on the move still - and doesn't provide me with reasons not to, if I'm honest. But perhaps I'm a little too convinced of my ways? I know - feel, more or less, in the aire surrounding us - that I'm hurting them and I don't want to do that. But sometimes to protect one child from another, one or both will have to compromise and in compromise, nobody gets what they want for a hundred percent.

Just like me.

Dawn wants to postpone; I see how that is the only decision we can agree on today, so I slowly nod. She adds that she wants a year of mentoring, that she wants to work, and I smile. I see what a great leader she will become. "A year - have your family, learn to manage it all, and I'll hand it to you if that's what you still want." All in all, what I want is to protect them - my family, my children; Dawn and Clay may not be of my blood, but all of the young ones in the Sanctuary might as well be.

I know I'll move to Hyaline after this year, wanting to go home. But for now, I can suck it up for the time being - and teach them to be a fully decent diplomat, and Clayton... I look to him. "As your first task of heirs and council members, please go and meet the leaders of Hyaline and get acquainted." My face turns to Dawn, nod to her - not just a task for Clay. I'll go into Pangea myself; hopefully I can give them a full Sanctuary to rule next year, not just the two lands.

But I don't know much about Yidhra or even if she still rules there - it's been too quiet, and it worries me.

and shooting stars cannot fix the world

-Ilma accepts Dawn's postponing the move for to be a decision made next year and to lead the Cove for one year in which she will train Clayton and Dawn, since that's basically what she asked for as her second solution she could live with
    -If there's no opposition? Then I guess we can close this one?
    Any fool knows men and women think differently at times, but the biggest difference is this: men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget.
    Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time
    do you ever wonder...
    ...do you ever dream?

Kagerus' call sounds as if it is in a dream. It floats to him from far away, sounding mostly dispersed, as if it has passed through a dense fog. Yet, at the same time, it seems meant just for his ears. Velk had been in a dream (or, two) with Kagerus and, this is nothing like that. The black-and-white stirs from his relaxed position beside Mary. Velk's fondness for the mare grows stronger with each day. What began as a spontaneous and passionate lust had become a loyal love. Velk spent the winter, at her beck and call. He treats her like a Queen (completely unaware of her rank). The dappled lady's barrel had expanded significantly and, by now, Velk believes that adolescent phrase, "It just takes one time" to be true. He could have no clue that her womb grows two foals as, he had no other pregnancies to compare. Except for maybe Solace's. Though, he figures every mare presents differently when pregnant.

Speaking of his mother, his attention refocuses on the summons that woke him from his nap. Kagerus sounds solemn and, perhaps, even pleading. He should go. He left abruptly and, has yet to return. He brushes his love's cheek and, whispers in her tufted lobe, "Mary, there is something I must see to. I promise, I will be back at your side tomorrow. I love you." He places a gentle kiss on her cheek, where his warm breath had touched moments before. He also places a kiss upon the wide-sprung aspect of her barrel before pivoting on his hind limbs. His muscled haunches contract to drive him into a ground-covering canter. His solid hooves find traction in the thawing ground as steed churns the earth beneath his rollicking chassis. Velk feels the power behind each stride and, recognizes how much he has matured since the last time he was home. His sapphire blue eyes and flared nostrils fixate on the sights and scents of the landscape as Velk navigates to the Silver Cover.

The male feels the change in the air as the terrain transitions into coarse, salty grasses and damp sand. The air around him is heavy like a humid summer day but without the dampness. It is as if the Cove just uncovered a burden for all to share. Velk swallows the growing lump in his throat as his sensitive olfactories hone in on the gathering not far off. He settles back from his hastened, three beat stride into a casual jog. The two-toned male's excursion leaves him winded and, skeletal and respiratory tissues alike beg for oxygen. He slides in amongst the gathered and, silently, takes a moment to assess the purpose of this assembly. He notes that neither Solace nor Kagerus are speaking. How could he have missed what they had to say?

The sunkissed maiden - named Dawn, right? - speaks now and, from her words, Velk gathers why everyone is here. Eyelids close in a slow, mechanical and heavy fashion as Velk blinks hard. He gulps, as well, before sapphire gaze shifts to rest upon the noble features of his mothers. And, during this solid moment in which he focuses upon them, he sees them clearly for the first time in a while. Behind Solace's smile, Velk could see the etches of fatigue in the lines on her face and, the weight of her wings. Behind Kagerus' stoic and strong façade, he could see the concern bound in the tension of her jawline and, rigid carriage of her regal poll. Both seem to bear a tremendous burden and, Velk soon finds his poll lowering in shame for being so caught up in his own pride, that he had not even noticed. He wallows for far longer than will help anybody and, when he finally lifts his head to tune back in, Amet is addressing them. Velk nods along proudly, agreeing that Ilma would be the best suited successor and, the legacy of Solace and Kagerus extends far greater than any leader before them.

Clayton speaks next and, the conversation shifts to include where the Eastern headquarters will be. Dawn speaks next, followed by the snow-white mare, Ilma, once more. Having been born in Hyaline, the black-and-white will always consider the wisteria and mountain adorned landscape to be his true home. And, for all intensive purposes, the founding home of the East. However, this was no longer the era of his mothers. There is no need to return to the old ways if that is not for the greater good. He listens, carefully but, content to just listen. As a son of the Caretakers, he supposes he could have interjected and, even put his name in for consideration. However, Velk did not want that life. He is perfectly happy to remain out of the spotlight. So, in true Velk fashion, he observes and absorbs the discourse between trusted equines without saying a single word.

Before long, it seems an agreement is reached and, an interim government will launch. Velk sighs a mixture of relief and shame as he seeks his mothers' gaze. He waits to leave until he is sure they have seen him; until he is certain that they know he came. He does not convey his guilt in this eye contact. Velk is careful to only meet their gaze with the warmth and pride that swells in his chest at having been blessed to call these strong, gracious women his parents. After all, this is not really goodbye. He would return and, confess all of his sins at a later time. With a nod of approval, Velk backs away from the gathering and, silently, picks up a swift pace that will have him back at his love's blossoming side by the first light of tomorrow, just as he had promised.

Velk

No objections here. Nothing to add either. I started writing this post with every intention of adding it in-timeline and then, RL got real. I am sorry but, please forgive me. I just wouldn't forgive myself if Velk didn't make an appearance. Love you all <3