• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

And out he came holding his brothers heel; any
    It was just a dream he tried to tell himself.
    Dad look at me!! Tell me why you are doing this, am I not good enough for you? What have I done that would drive you to do this? You never loved me, I was always second best! Jakub was shouting at his father who stood there, just stood there! Never making eye contact or acknowledging the fact that his herd, on his orders, were banishing his youngest son. How could he do this? The herd advanced on Jakub pushing him out of his home closing off his sight of his father. They swallowed him up, everything went dark. His mother's voice wafted in the in between Jakub!!! his mother... his mother needed him, and now he will never see her again. Blackness enveloped him, suffocated him.

Jakub's eyes shot open, his breathing heavy. Sweat poured over his velvety black coat cooling him in the summer's hot sun.  He jumped up and away from the soft ground frantically searching his surroundings, nostrils flared and ears pinned. This was not his home, his mother where was his mother? 
    It took Jakub a minute to inhale his surroundings, breath Jakub, breath his pulse slowed with every breath he took. His father may have banished him but he would convince himself he didn't care. His father was a weak man, old and feeble. Worthless to him, he felt for his father what his father felt for him. Hatred.

Hatred, anger, and determination took over Jakub. He shook out his mane narrowed his eyes and scoped out his horizon and let out a triumphant whinny. This was a new start for him, the only thing he had to do what figure out what his next move was.
    Tephra inhabitant (Alpha)

Magnus knew what it was like to need a second start in life.

Hell, he had more than his fair share of them across his lifetimes.

He knew what it was like to feel that deep-rooted determination, to feel it in your very soul, to turn your gaze to the horizon and fight with everything within you for what you knew was right. Perhaps he senses that in the colt. Perhaps he feels a sense of kinship in the way that he stands so defiantly, to ready to fight whatever is to come, so ready to prove himself against a world that is so ready to push back.

Perhaps he is simply curious.

Either way, Magnus makes his way toward the other, his gait easy and his expression neutral, gold-flecked eyes warm as he studies the other. When he is several yards away, close enough to be heard but not so close as to crowd the younger stallion, he stops, dipping his head into a greeting. “Hello there,” he says with a tip of his lip, sun-bleached tail flicking at a hide scarred by war many times over.

“My name is Magnus.”

For a moment, he is silent, letting the quiet of the field settle into the space between them—the sounds of others hushed and carried away by the summer breeze. It is a pleasant day, the heat only beginning to creep up, and he doesn’t feel in a rush to be anywhere in particular so he doesn’t attempt to crowd the boy or pepper him with questions. Instead he just tilts his head, watching him quietly before finally opening up the conversation again. “Is there something that you’re looking for in the field today?”

MAGNUS | I don't belong to anyone, but everybody knows my name

@[Jakub]
    [Image: gqYjsHr.png]
    Jakub's body tensed a bit as a larger, and older buckskin approached him. There was only one thing he was sure of at this moment in time, and that was that he was no longer on his homeland. He watched with concentration as the stallion made his way closer. He would not let his guard down again after what his father did, at least not enough to be over powered.
    Once the buckskin had stopped close enough to be heard but not close enough to throw Jakub off he introduced himself while Jakub listened and watched. He continued to keep tabs of his surrounding, swiveling his ears to hear any other uninvited companions as he thought about how to reply to the man in front of him Is there something that you're looking for in the field today?. Did he want this guy to know who he was, what his father had thought he was capable of? Jakub definitely got the vibe that Magnus knew of this land, he could use that to help him get his bearings for a fresh start.
    "Magnus, I'm Jakub. I'm looking for a place to start over." he dipped his head as he finished, not trusting the man infront of him but willing to open a conversation about who he was and what this place is. Are you the guy to ask around here? he finished motioning to the others scattered throughout the field.

Magnus sees the way that the other tensed when he approached, and he is glad that he chose to keep a good amount of distance between them. He is not the most imposing stallion, but he is threatening enough with the scars that criss-cross across his body. He has seen more wars than he can count, been part of raids and let battle charges, and the tapestry of his life is written across his golden flesh.

But he doesn’t come to be intimidating now.

Instead he relaxes, even cocking a back leg as if to prove just how little he intends on threatening the boy. He just tips a single corner of his mouth upward into a crooked grin, the tangles of his forelock falling off to the side of his heavy-jawed face. “Well you have definitely come to the right place to start over,” he muses, glancing around them as the boy motions to the others in the field.

His smile grows a little wider for a moment. “I’m not the wrong guy to ask,” he laughs a little low and husky. “Although there are plenty who could answer your questions, I am sure.” Another pause as he rolls his shoulders, regarding the colt before him. “I come from a land called Tephra, but I could tell you about all of the various lands, if you would like. It just depends on what you want to know.”

@[Jakub]
    Jakub responds to Magnus' relaxed posture as if on cue. He dropped his chest and the rest of his body followed suit. He knew that in order to start over he would need to befriend others in this land, and that he would need to push his past behind him or at least hide it far beneath him. He let the anger and betrayal he had felt in the last few moment dissipate from his mind and in turn focused with curiosity on the man before him.
    I suppose I am looking for an excepting place. A place where I do not have to feel guilty for wanting the things I want. A place I can fight for. A place that won't push me away out of fear of what I am capable of becoming, strong and determined. I have no idea what I plan on becoming only that I want to become someone worth mentioning.
    To Jakub there was no point in beating around the bush, he knew he was ment for great things. The thought filled Jakub with determination once again as he pulled his stature as broad as he could. This time however it was not out of fear of what the stallion may do but because he was proud that the weakness he saw in his father before he banished him had not festered in Jakub when his mother had carried him in her womb. He knew he was built for greatness.
    Jakub could feel the sweat pooling in the crooks of his back as the hot summer sun spilled down on him from the sky, but if that isn't possible, I'd just be happy to find a place out of this damn sun he added as an after thought his lips curling into a smile and a chuckle escaped his lips.

Magnus only nods in affirmation to the young boy, pleased by his answer. It was not always easy to be able to put into words what you wanted from life—what you were truly seeking. He had talked to many that were many times this boy’s elder who would not have been able to articulate such things as clearly. He had been in many situations in his life where he would not have been able to do the same.

So he appreciates the boy’s honesty.

“All honorable things to want in a home,” he says, his crooked grin warm. “I can tell you Tephra would be such a place, if you were interested in it. We have an open border where all are welcome—regardless of whether you are seeking to join a caste and work up the ranks or are simply looking for a home.” He pauses for a second, regarding the stallion again. “Although you strike me as a soldier and not a citizen.”

Magnus had been General of enough armies to recognize when another carried within them the want to fight, the need to protect their home. He had been part of enough wars to recognize the hunger in another.

But he doesn’t linger on such things—not now.

Instead, he just chuckles low in his throat. “Well, Tephra won’t be quite as hot, but it’s certainly not cold.” He angles his head toward its direction. “We are a volcanic land on the coast. The weather is warm year round but more temperate than the field. You’ll find that the breeze from the ocean helps too.”

Then again, having grown up in a jungle, perhaps Magnus wasn’t the best judge of weather.

Everything seemed cooler once you had lived out your youth in the Amazon.

@[Jakub]
    Jakub followed Magnus' line of site looking towards Tephra, though not in site at the moment Jakub could sense power in its name. Maybe a place he can grow and learn to be everything he wants? He supposed it wouldn't hurt to see it's land,  and to feel the ground beneath his feet.

Jakub's attention turned to the buck stallion and nodded in agreement, I would like to see what Tephra has to offer me.   he said matter of factly. You say it's this way along the coast, he said motioning in the direction the two had just been looking towards, Who should I ask for once I arrive?
    @[Magnus]

Magnus is pleased when the boy agrees to his offer, and his gold-flecked eyes spark with warmth. His laughter is low and throaty, and he lets it rumble for a second before he shakes his head. “I would be happy to accompany you there.” He takes a step forward, motioning to the boy for him to follow him.

It had been a while since Magnus had brought a new soul home—something be attributes to the general quiet that had settled into Beqanna over the last few months, a lull that was slowly but surely beginning to crack with the rise of spring. It was invigorating to find new life again, to breathe it in.

His smile is wide as he regards the boy again.

“After all, it’s me you would be asking when you arrived.” He takes another step, smiling back over his scarred shoulder before beginning to move toward home again. “I am the King.”

And then he continues to lead him to Tephra.

@[Jakub] - feel free to post in Tephra next! Smile