• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen../ Any
    Lethy admits to a fondness for water, and Lepis smiles. “You’ll enjoy Loess then,” she tells the younger mare as they walk, “The whole kingdom is filled with springs. Hot and cold, saltwater and fresh. There’s nothing quite like a soak in a warm spring on a cold winter’s night.” Lepis had missed that, and though she is not eager for snow (she far prefers the warmth of spring and summer) it does make the long nights far more tolerable.

Then the conversation turns to children and childhood. Lethy does’nt remember much of her childhood, she says, and Lepis glances over her shoulder curiously. The dun mare’s childhood had been a memorable one, but she supposes the same cannot be said for everyone. Lepis has attempted to forget her adolescence, after all; perhaps Lethy has an equally reasonable motivation. Best not to ask about it then, she supposes. They are still little more than strangers, after all.

“My oldest, Pteron, is nearly three, and Marni turned one this spring. The triplets were born this past spring. My husband and I started late,” she adds with a soft laugh, “And we seem to be making up for lost time.”

Lepis is content to walk quietly for a while after that, allowing Lethy to take in the diversity that marks their kingdom. There is nothing quite like it – or so she has heard. Lepis hasn’t been anywhere but the South (save a brief captivity in Hyaline). She is expecting a question about the land when Lethy asks permission to question her, and nods without much thought. What the other mare asks is unexpected though, and Lepis smiles at the compliment in the query.

“I was. My mother passed on her wings and navy coloring to me. My father is to thank for my paint markings, or so I hear.” She’s never met him, she says without words. The former ruler of Loess had stayed only long enough for his daughter’s birth before he’d fled the kingdom after all, returning to the sea and the woman for whom he’d left her mother. Lepis has never given him much though – she has always been happy with the family she has. “There is magic in Beqanna though,” Lepis adds, “And it’s not unheard of for horses to find themselves with traits and magics that they were not born with: gifts – or some say curses – from the land and its fairies.”

As they speak, they’ve made it through the more rugged hills that border Hyaline, and soon the broad sweep of the Crescent Lake spreads out in front of them. It reflects the clear blue sky and the handful of soft white clouds on its mirror-like surface. “I wouldn’t suggest drinking out of it unless you want to be even more thirsty later,” she cautions Lethy, “but if you’re thirsty, there are clear springs nearby.”

@[Izora Lethia]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was about to happen../ Any - by Lepis - 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM