• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

She wants to go home. That's where she lies broken inside; Agnieszka / anyone

He left Tephra with a job; find other Tephrans who were portalled away during the war and bring them home. Leliana had risen from the magma, eyes white as the ash that covered the land. She had poured her magic into the ground and had began to return her to her former Mediterranean glory.

He had left through the Sylva forest, looking, searching, and calling out for those that may have landed there like he had a week ago. The forest had been dark from the remnants of volcanic ash that seemed to catch on the changing winds coating the forest canopy even more. Maybe he had missed someone, maybe they didn't want to return to the ruined kingdom. If that were the case it was his job to change their minds. Tephra needed everyone in this moment in time.

The thick forest eventually began to thin out, the trees spacing out and growing taller but also thicker. His ears swiveled as  he took in the new land. It must be a new land he thought, one he hadn't been to yet? There were lots of those, places he hadn't been yet. But this task given to him by Leliana would change that he assumed. 

Even though the trees had thinned, with the setting sun it was still hard for Jakub to see. He could hear the animals that resided here scampering around, some hunting from the sky. A twig snapped around a large trunk, Jakub's ears pinned back slightly as his body hardened. The war had made him more on edge than normal, flashes of the disaster ever present. In this moment in time he was glad for his dark, black coat and equally dark midnight blue eyes not so easily noticeable in the darkening evening. 

As the wind changed Jakub caught a scent, a Tephran scent."Hello? ... Who's there?"

JAKUB

and out he came, holding his brothers heel

@[Agnieszka]
    Tephra inhabitant (Alpha)
    Even though the sun had only begun it's descent on the horizon, Aten was tired after a long day, and had settled into a grove for the evening to begin his sleep before he would wake in a few hours to satisfy the hunger in his belly as it sometimes did in the early morning. For now, the golden stallion's tired muscles were grateful for rest, so, allowing his left hind leg to relax, his other legs locking in place reflexively, he lowered his head, his breathing slowing until he was in a state of light sleep.

He wasn't allowed to be like this for long though, for a few minor things disturbed him. First, it was the sound of leaves rustling as a rabbit went scampering by, not noticing the tall stallion standing there. Second, from out of the sky, a dead field mouse was dropped right in front of his hooves. Third, and finally, the familiar form of Turul descended to land on a nearby tree branch, the falcon flapping his wings until he was balanced so he could speak to the golden king.

Slightly irate at being woken from his sleep, Aten shook his head to try and wake his brain up before addressing his friend, "Well, I was having a pleasant sleep until you arrived."

The falcon preened one of his feathers in response before focusing on Aten's again. The stallion was mildly intrigued by his words, "And where was this stranger located?" Turul motioned with his head, and the stallion thanked his friend before heading out. Turul followed only after he'd picked up the meal he'd carried with him, the falcon claiming he was just as curious as his friend.

The golden king walked for a short while, spotting the other horse among the trees. Despite his golden coat, the stallion, well versed in how to hide among his home, was masked by the trees himself. The other horse had a dark coat that matched the night sky, a feature Aten would've had a harder time picking out had he not known what to look for here to see those who were wandering the Taiga's land.

The pine needles under his hooves helped to mask the stallion's presence to the stranger, but unfortunately, the branch Turul chose to land on wasn't the best. The deafening sound of a 'crack' in the silence drew Aten's attention as well as the stranger's, and, sure enough, the latter called into the darkness.

"Hello?... Who's there?"

The golden's stallion's eyes drifted up to his falcon friend, narrowing slightly before deciding he'd better deal with this. Aten stepped out from under cover of the shadows, fully into the open so the other stallion, having been identified by his voice, could see him.

"A resident of this land, stranger. Have you come seeking another who lives in this land? I am not sure how much luck you will have."

@[Jakub]

It took Jakub a minute to loosen his stance just enough to not appear like he wanted to fight anything that came his way, when the stallion appeared among the tree line. As he came closer and spoke he could see the golden coat of the other, filtered moonlight reflecting off his face.

Jakub shifted his weight, as one ear turned towards the other stallion and the other ear found the bird that had alerted him of there presence.

A resident of this land, stranger. Have you come seeking another who lives in this land? I am not sure how much luck you will have. he said, his voice drifting in the open expanse between them. The cool winter wind changed in direction again just enough to catch the mans scent. Odd, he thought, that wasn't the scent he had just picked up moments ago.

No, not someone who lives here. I am looking for those that were portalled away from Tephra during the war, to safety. Those who would like to return to Tephra. I had no intentions of intruding. his tongue seemed to thicken as the thought of the battle became fresh in his mind. His mind lingering momentarily on the rosey pink scars across his back, the ones even Leliana couldn't wisk away. Remembering his task at hand Jakub took a tentative step closer to the stallion. My name is Jakub, beta to Leliana he said dipping his head slightly in greeting. What is the name of this land?

JAKUB

@[Aten]
    @[Agnieszka]
    The other stallion answered Aten'ss inquiry with words the golden king did not expect in the least. There had been a war among two lands, Tephra one of them? Aten suddenly felt a large amount of gilt for not being aware of this. As a leader, he should have known of business like this, so that he could provide assistance. Not that Taiga could for the time being, since almost no one lived here currently.

Though Aten wanted to ask this stallion about the war, he found it more important to attend the matter at hoof. So, instead, he offered, "Well met Jakub. I am honored to make the acquaintence of a Beta to Queen Leilana. I have heard of a strong mare such as her, and I wish to eventually make my way to Tephra to offer my respects to one of her status.

"As to your task here though, I unfortunately do not have fortunate news. This land is called the Taiga. I go by the name of Aten, and I have not yet seen any horses that live here that hail from the Tephra like yourself. However, if there is any way that I can help with this matter, I would be glad to do so. It is quite possible that if there are any Tephra residents here, they are nestled away deep in Taiga's heart and I have not encountered them yet. My friend Turul would also be willing to assist as our eyes in the sky, if you would accept our assistance."

@[Jakub]

Jakub softened as the stallion, who he now knew as Aten, talked of his queen in high regards and offered his assistance in his search. She is quite the sights to see. I am truly lucky to be serving under her. She is a good friend to have in your corner. I would be grateful for any assistance you could offer and I know Leliana would be much appreciative for your willingness to help.

The loessians did quite a number to Tephra and her inhabitants. Leliana has already started rebuilding our homeland but we will also need our people to return home. I am not sure how many have already made it back or how many will need to be convinced that we will not fall again.
    Jakub was hopeful that Aten would be a good allie to Tephra.

He was not nieve to the fact that there were many outside of Tephra and Loess who had picked sides during the war that had no business being there, so the curiosity of which side Aten stood on still remained in the recesses of his mind.

JAKUB

@[Aten]
    Aten listened quietly as Jakub spoke of what had happened to Tephra as a result of the war, along with Leilana's efforts to rebuild their home and that the residents were needed to return to their homeland. Aten had no doubt though that the situation regarding Tephra was similar to what happened to Taiga many years ago.

Following it's destruction, many, including Aten himself, had been hesitant to return, if only because there had been almost nothing to restore. Once Taiga had started to recover, Ruan had worked to try and bring horses back by offering them a home, under the premise that it was a fire and not a war that had destroyed the beautiful kingdom. To Aten's knowledge, before he disappeared into the Forest and lived the life of a bachelor for several years, it was a tough job to accomplish, since many didn't want to return originally under fear of Taiga's destruction again.

It seemed Tephra faced the same obstacle, even if Jakub hadn't said that directly. The war most likely had affected many horses in various degrees, from physical wounds in battle to emotional due to Tephra's wounds and her residents that experienced their own trauma in war.

Aten took a moment to think this over, "I am sorry to hear what hardships Tephra had to undergo due to the war. However, beyond keeping an eye out for any Tephra residents that may be here in Taiga, I am unsure of what else I can do to help. I would offer Taiga's services herself, but not many live here yet, so I do not have anything to offer besides my personal help."

@[Jakub]