• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

One for All [Heartfire, any]
    The black's first logical order of business following Leilan's concession is to visit Nerine, and her queen. As a member of the Isle's council, he supposes he should have introduced himself to Heartfire much sooner. Speaking of the council, Jesper will need to address them as well but, first things first. Unshod hooves find traction in the everlasting snow as refined limbs march stallion towards the northern most shore of Icicle Isle. Although the coldest point, it makes for a shorter swim and, the desert-bred steed would rather not present himself as a shivering, soaked-to-the-bone dog to his Queen.

He remembers the blue roan from the kingdom meeting a while back though, he doubts she will have heard of him. And, that probably isn't a bad thing. With his history of emotional instability, who would want him running their territory? As he nears the edge of the ice island, the equine shakes these thoughts from his skull. Leilan believed in him and, as far as he knew, so did those dwelling alongside him in the tundra. He would be sure to call a territory meeting as soon as he returns to check in on the morale of the lot.

Jesper plunges into the frigid waters and begins to kick and paddle himself towards the mainland. He glides through the water easily as his muscles are conditioned to the task. Before long, the black hauls himself out of the indigo sea and onto the frozen coast of Nerine. Upon finding his balance on all fours, the male pushes himself into a brisk trot. He notes that the further inland he travels, the softer the ground beneath him and the milder the air surrounding him becomes.

He hopes to encounter a familiar face during his travels though, he stays true to his course for now. He proceeds to follow the trail of her perfume until his crystal blue gaze rests upon her unique pattern. Out of respect, he slows to a confident walk as he approaches the female and, halts a couple of horse lengths away. He greets her with a soft smile, pricked ears and a courteous nod of his poll as he waits for her acknowledgement and, invitation to speak.
    jesper
    carnage x bethanie
    devin's∇designs

@[Heartfire]

She's got the devil's eyes

It would be nearly impossible for her to have missed his approach, especially given her rather… unique abilities. Indeed, she first becomes aware of his visit when he pulls himself onto the beach along Nerine’s northwestern shores. She waits patiently, content in having him come to her rather than meeting him near the borders. The Isle’s residents are Nerine’s residents as well, after all. And though Jesper likely has little inkling, she knows each and every Isle resident as well as she does Nerine’s.

But then, it’s far easier for her to know someone than it is for them to know her. And given their thus far brief encounters, he could easily be forgiven for believing her ignorant. He couldn’t possibly know he’d fallen under her scrutiny the moment he’d been named counselor beneath Leilan.

Perhaps it’s fortunate that he did not know these things about her though. After all, the only reason she might have to divulge her knowledge without prompting would be if she disagreed with his actions or his course. As it stands, he seems a suitable replacement for Leilan. Certainly he would be far less likely to be as verbally combatant as her outspoken uncle, and that is, as far as she’s concerned, a boon.

“Good morning Jesper,” she greets idly before turning her sharp blue gaze to the dark shifter. He is openly respectful of her space, waiting on her acknowledgement to offer his own greeting. She suspects that would change as he grew more comfortable in his position. The north had always done well at forging strength and boldness. “I’m glad you’ve come to visit.”

She shifts then, turning to face him, fixing the full weight of her not inconsiderable attention on him. “It seems we have a few things to discuss.”

and they'll cut you like a weapon

Heartfire
    Judging by the expression on the steel blue mare's facade, Jesper realizes that his arrival comes as no surprise. Perhaps, Leilan had mentioned the changes on the Isle as he passed through. Maybe Nerine employs a scout among her residents. Or, maybe Heartfire possess a power the shifter has yet to encounter.

The black stands with front limbs parallel to each other and his right hind balanced farther back than his left hind. Jesper's poll maintains an alert height while fur-lined lobes focus upon the subtleties of Heartfire's body language. Ever since he was granted his ability to shift into a canine, he pays far closer attention to the nuances of communication; the tells and the betrayals of one's subconscious. He did not know Heartfire well. So, he would gather as much information as he could.

She greets him with a tone that is casual but her azure gaze is far more intense. He does not falter under her watchful eye. He offers a small smile and, stands still in his comfortable position. Her next words are more inviting and then, she repositions and invites him to speak his part. "Lady Heartfire, I do have a few matters to discuss. I feel as though we should start with my change in position. Did Leilan happen to mention that he left me in charge of the Isle, on his way through?" Her mannerisms upon his arrival lends Jesper to believe she already knew. How she knows is entirely different. He could not be sure and, nothing good comes from assuming. So, why not cover that first?

He allows her time to reply before he continues. "Since we will be working more closely, I would like for us to get to know one another better. Perhaps, my grandsire has given you some insight into my background. I am happy to fill in any blanks or, answer any questions you may have for me." Though one's background does not immediately qualify one to lead, it certainly helps in determining character and, one's character is an important element in the type of leader they will be. Jesper hopes that in offering to share his past with Heartfire, she may offer more about herself in return.

The black listens closely for her response though, allows his aquamarine gaze to scan their surroundings for any movement. Jesper certainly had more questions for her but, he had nowhere else to be. And, he rarely had trouble keeping a conversation going.
    jesper
    carnage x bethanie
    devin's∇designs

@[Heartfire]

Just as he studies her, she studies him, though her perusal is perhaps a bit more forthright. He has the quick, sharp scrutiny of the fox about him, even in his equine form. A predator's gaze that misses little. Though she has nothing of the canine in the way she watches him, the brutal intensity of her pale blue gaze is no doubt unmistakable. No one would ever accuse her of having an easy stare.

Though she considers him almost idly as he responds to her unorthodox greeting, her relaxed demeanor could never be mistaken for inattentiveness. She has never been a particularly verbose woman, nor has she ever felt the need to fill silences or brief pauses with inane chatter. Perhaps some might consider her an uncomfortable conversationalist, but she has always found she discovers more by listening than by speaking.

After all, she is frequently alone in her disinterest in filling the silence. So many it seems, struggle to leave gaps unfilled.

At his question, her lips twitch slightly, the only sign of her brief amusement. “I have not spoken to Leilan, no,” she replies simply. But then, Leilan is well aware of her almost unmatched ability at gather information she should not have. No doubt he assumed, quite correctly, that she already knew of what had transpired.“I doubt he felt the need to tell me.”

He continues in the wake of her response, doing his best to reassure her of his inclination and ability to lead. She appreciates his willingness to be so open, recognizing the benefits it would lend to their future relationship. As much a part of each other as the Nerine and the Isle are, it would be exceedingly awkward if they began this new chapter at odds. However, she suspects they will do just fine.

“I appreciate the offer,” she finally replies after a distinctly weighty pause. “But your past holds no mysteries for me. I think you’re well enough suited to the task ahead.” She tilts her head then, her bright gaze knowing, a faint gleam teasing at the thoughts swirling behind her still features. “So tell me Jesper, what is it that you actually wished to ask?”

Heartfire
    SO GIVE ME HOPE IN THE DARKNESS THAT I WILL SEE THE LIGHT
    'CAUSE OH THAT GAVE ME SUCH A FRIGHT
    The world moves slowly, each day dragging past, but yet sometimes it still feels like the world is rushing past. Brennen remembers when the stallion currently moving purposefully into Nerine was nothing more than a gangly foal, growing up in a land mostly forgotten in the care of family after his mother was murdered. How can he remember mourning Bethanie like it happened yesterday, but still have watched Jesper grow many years into the man he has become? It never helps that Jesper has his mother’s eyes, and his grandmother’s eyes, and eyes he often sees in dreams. Magic hasn’t made immortality any easier for Brennen to understand.

He doesn’t intrude right away into their meeting, though he knows immediately when his grandson arrives. The bay stallion meanders in their direction on foot, dark wings tucked tightly against his side, listening to their conversation far more with unseen powers than with his physical ears, though as he draws closer their voices become clear, and he doesn’t feel the need to lurk out of sight, though he keeps his silence while he comes to stand by the two of them.

Brennen is immensely proud of Jesper’s accomplishments and his ascension to lead Nerine’s territory in the north. His face isn’t usually very mobile, being instead quite subtle and composed, but the pride and welcome in the quick smile he flashes the black boy is quite clear. He also allows himself a brush of his mind against Jesper’s, just for a moment, affection clear. He holds his gaze on Jesper for a moment before he swings his fine head towards Heartfire, somehow deferential to her position without being in any way subservient. Brennen serves still as Nerine’s champion and he loves their people, but there has been a widening gap since Scorch had left him, and Nerine’s queen can’t be unaware that the magician is adrift like a leaf in their wild ocean. Certainly they could depend on him in an emergency, but day-to-day he has been anything except involved.

“Heartfire,” it’s a nearly inaudible, murmured name in lieu of any other greeting, because he wouldn’t be so rude as to brush her mind he way he did his grandson’s; they don’t know each other that well. He doesn’t even remember when the last time he and Heartfire spoke, but he’s comfortable in her presence, and also curious to hear the answer to her question.

BUT I WILL HOLD AS LONG AS YOU LIKE
    JUST PROMISE ME WE'LL BE ALRIGHT
    Brennen

@[Jesper] @[Heartfire]
    Looking back, Jesper finds it uncanny how much like a fox he was prior to the faeries blessing him. His way of thinking (a sharper intellect than your average horse), his ability to achieve so much with just his words, and his mannerisms all bore trace hints to his canine-shifting future. It is as if the magic lay in his genes; as if the foundation was there already, and time (and fae magic) was the key to unlock it. He always felt as though something was missing though, he could never pinpoint it. Standing before the slate roan Queen of Nerine, the black feels whole. On the contrary, he also feels utterly exposed as if his hide, the most opaque color possible, is transparent and allows Heartfire to see all there is. Where many would feel uncomfortably vulnerable, the black has nothing to hide or, be ashamed of so, why get all worked up?

He listens carefully to Heartfire's response then, nods as she states her confidence in him. His icy blue gaze holds her cerulean eyes with a steady focus, even as the familiar scent of Brennen fills his nostrils. Jesper would like nothing more than to embrace him but, their reunion could wait. The bronze-tipped lobe closest to the immortal, mahogany stallion swivels to hone in and track his approach. Jesper catches his brief acknowledgement of the mare but then, the winged male falls silent to wait for his grandson's reply. The black gathers his thoughts before he parts his maw to allow words to pass. His tone is steady and direct but, still polite. "I came to formally introduce myself and, to ask what expectations you have for the Isle. I intend to hold a meeting, when I return, to obtain a head count, announce the changes and, make sure everyone is abiding by Nerine's wishes. I know you expect our loyalty to you, as well as, Taiga and our allies. I assure you: I will establish a personal rapport with each resident and, keep a watchful eye over the lot. You have my complete loyalty and, if ever there is a rally in arms, you can count on me."

"As for the structure Leilan implemented, I hope to add a beta to my title. She would be my mate and, serve on the council. I think of her as an extension of my senses and, a liaison among us. I nominate Camomila, whom has been on the Isle since the initial migration. She is sensible, loyal, kind, and would certainly be trusted to lead the Isle, in my place, if given Nerine's support. I plan to keep the council, as a group of three, alongside myself. I think the council demonstrates an openness between residents and, proves that their named leader is just and diplomatic. If the honorable Ardashir is still willing to serve, he is welcome to do so, alongside Camomila. This leaves an opening for one more council member. I am happy to hear any suggestions you may have on whom to consider. If none, and you trust me to choose, I will do so based on the qualifications of those interested at the meeting. Lastly, are there any additional expectations or, requirements of the Isle that I should be aware of and, uphold?"

The black falls silent, content with having covered everything he wished to address. He waits patiently for Heartfire or, Brennen, to speak next. In the silence, Jesper meets the honey gaze of his grandsire and, smiles warmly in greeting and appreciation for him joining them. Jesper always felt reassured in Brennen's presence and, as the younger male embarks on this new chapter, it felt necessary to have a trusted being as support.
    jesper
    carnage x bethanie
    devin's∇designs

@[Heartfire] @[Brennen]

Though her impassive features betray none of it, she is pleasantly surprised at Brennen’s arrival. Though she had never doubted the Brennen’s loyalty or willingness to aid Nerine, she knows Scorch had been the reason he had chosen to stay originally. He has little connection to her beyond her and Scorch’s shared blood and their own distant relation. She had long been content knowing he is willing to keep those old promises. Though she would be inclined to improve their own relationship, she also recognizes the unlikeliness of their becoming fast friends.

She is quite certain she would not compare so favorably to her fiery, passionate grandmother.

She acknowledges his arrival with a faint tip of her head before returning her attention in full to the dark stallion standing so earnestly before her. He appears to accept her somewhat dismissive non-answer with little question. But then, he has been with the northern kingdom long enough that no doubt he has gained at least some inkling of her manner. So long as he did not hold her rather feverish exploits on Icicle Isle as the basis by which to judge her, of course.

She listens to his suggestions and observations with silent interest. She makes no move to interrupt or comment until he has exhausted his report, ending on a banketed request for approval. She mulls over his words for a moment, before shifting comfortably, her expression easing faintly.

“I have little interest in micro-managing your plans for the Isle. What you have suggested thus far sounds suitable, and I am happy leaving the details of it’s arrangement in your control. As for Nerine’s requirements of the Isle, I simply ask loyalty and unity. The Isle’s residents are as much member’s of Nerine as they are of Icicle Isle.” She pauses then, gaze flicking briefly to Brennen before returning to Jesper. “And on that subject, I am instituting a few changes in Nerine as well. As a territory, you, or someone otherwise appointed, is welcome to a seat on Nerine’s council. Another pause, this one more weighty, before adding by way of explanation. “I am establishing this council of three to represent Nerine, the Isle, and the Taiga, to give our residents a voice.”

Heartfire