• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  darkness exists to make light truly count; litotes
    peridot

i will always hold you close

She waits until it is dusk and the world around her starts to change in subtle ways. Families return home, and the children flash tired, satisfied eyes to a sky that turns orange and gold with streaks of red, to shadows that grow so long and vast beneath their mountains and their trees. There is less of that murmur of conversation, fewer clusters travelling by together as everyone makes that subconscious decision to head home - wherever that may be in this moment of their lives. 

But Peridot is like the small animals who stretch and blink and poke their faces out of their dens and into the falling dark. Probably because there is so much of it in her blood - from her father, her brothers, her sisters. So many who can weave shadow or light into whatever they wish. She is not like them, though, no special gift but for the strangeness of such beautiful emerald green eyes that allow her to see in any dark. But, maybe that is why she loves the night so much.

She is made for it.

She slips out into woods of Taiga with the rabbits and the deer, watching a racoon wander past with her kits bumbling along behind her. For a moment she thinks to follow them, finding such sweetness in the way they race and tumble and are oblivious to anything beyond the beautiful moment that surrounds them, the immediacy of their life. But there is something else in her heart tonight, something full of wild and wander and it uncurls softly in the corners of a delicate smile, draws soft furrows of pleasure at the corners of those gem-bright eyes.

Unquestioningly she makes the journey from Taiga to the Forest. It would have been easiest to cut through the rocky hills of Loess, but something urges her instead through the valleys of Hyaline where she treads along the shores of a river she knows weaves along beside the Forest. It takes much of the night, but she enjoys the way the stars and moon become trapped like living pictures within the glittering surface of the water, the way she is surrounded by only the night and the dark and the beautiful quiet.

When the Forest finally rises up through the dark at her shoulder, she welcomes it with a smile. Turning away from the river, she is greeted by the smell of damp earth and cedar, by the flickering light of fireflies that bob like untethered stars through the tangle of tree trunks and hanging branches. “I love it here.” She murmurs to herself, scarcely making the conscious decision to speak aloud. Then she’s off again, winding slowly through trees that rise up into a dark made starless by the branches covered so thickly in leaves.

but i will learn to let you go

litotes

If Litotes knew he would one day call the night his home, he would not have wasted so much time beneath the sun. Ever since receiving control of darkness, he finds the burn of the sun far too invasive. What gentle light the moon offers is just enough, just silvery enough to feel pleasant upon his eyes. Everyday he falls into the twilight like an exhausted laborer falls into clean sheets. The darkness welcomes him with a cool wind and a sweet whisper.

It is rare, now, that Litotes finds time to himself. Between stepping into a new crown and caring for his family, leisurely trips away from the East are few and far between. So, tingling with a restlessness and general dissatisfaction, the shadow-king steps from the colorful sunset of Pangea and into the arms of a quiet meadow. The transition is fairly smooth: red clay slowly melding into barely sprouting pre-spring grass. Yellow straws of grass shiver and sway against the cremello’s legs as he passes further into the meadow; he wraps thick shadows around him to combat the invasive sensation.

Trees rustle their welcome as they thicken around Litotes. He sighs into their embraces, engulfing himself in the darkness the tangled canopy provides. For the first time in months, the muscles in his shoulders and along his spine relax.

The shadow-weaver is dancing among the trees, leaning left and then right, brushing bark just enough to raise smooth hairs. He is happy, relaxed, focusing entirely on staying afoot and wrapping ribbon after ribbon around the plants he passes. When he is tired, he slowly comes to a halt, legs still shuffling with energy his mind does not have. Lie breathes heavily, chilly winter air nearly rejuvenated his lungs.

Finally, he spots her. Completely disengaged from his own web, the stallion whickers excitedly, bobbing his chin up and down happily. “Peridot!” he eventually calls, prancing slowly in her direction. The arch of his neck slopes elegantly into the rise of his shoulder - chin tucked to his chest, hooves kicking high. Even when he reaches her side, his muscles vibrate with nervous energy. “It’s wonderful to see you, and during my preferred time.” His murmur is muffled by an affectionate nuzzle to Peridot’s neck. His mind buzzes with their previous meetings, short and sweet interactions.

“Do you want to dance together?” His smile is bashful when he asks. Vulnerability is rare for Lie, and when he offers it, he offers it sparingly.

i don't want your pity, i just want somebody near me
    guess i'm a coward, i just want to feel all right

@[jenger] <3