• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  new discoveries; Beulah

Having been brought to the Playground, Altissima did not hesitate before she plunged through the snow-dusted borders. She had been dying to spend more time with other foals and was delighted to get this chance. Her bright blue eyes danced around, spotting groups of others around her age and a few that were younger.

There was a moment of hesitation now as she moved to join one of the other groups – those her own age, of course, she didn’t want to hang out with babies. It wasn’t a long moment but it was long enough for those curious eyes to shift away from the foals she had been intending to approach and find something else entirely. A snowy owl was swooping through the blue-grey sky of the late morning and was coming… wait! It was coming over towards her!

Not knowing what to do, all of Altissima’s instincts abandoned her and she stayed rooted to the spot as the owl circled low over her head before landing in the snow just a few feet in front of her.

The pale filly glanced around her, wondering if anyone else was seeing this. Wondering if anyone else would know what to do.

Not seeing anyone immediately nearby to help, her dark gaze focused on the golden gaze of the pale owl and she just stared right back, her small silver tail flicking back and forth in discomfort and frustration.

Altissima
    of litotes and valdis
    image from pixabay

@[Beulah]

beulah.

So this was the playground.  Beulah was a little embarrassed at just how easy this place had been to find, and just how close it was from the place where she’d lost her mother.  She assumed her mother had assumed she’d been kidnapped or killed or something equally terrible, because she definitely hadn’t been were Beulah had left her.

Lucky for Lala, she’d found a new family.  She hadn’t told anyone she’d thought of them as family yet, but she’d decided she was keeping Starsin as soon as she didn’t yell at her when she came bounding into Sylva lost and confused.  Now the little pink girl found herself very loyal to her adopted homeland.

Regardless, she knew she needed to make some friends.  The snow swirled around her ankles as she pranced into the playground.  Beulah wasn’t shy, by any means, so had no qualms about approaching any of the groups of foals scattered around the playground. Her lack of social graces had put her in more than one awkward situation, but it never really bothered the girl.

However, today her attention was captured not by a specific group of foals - but a solitary girl.  A girl being swooped by an owl, which was weird because owls always flew away from her.  Beulah quickly cut the distance to the girl, sliding to a stop next to the girl and the owl.  She looked, eyes wide, as the owl just...stared at the other girl.  ”That is so cool!” the little pink girl whisper-shouted in a feeble attempt to stay quiet.

”Is it yours? Does it have a name? I’m assuming you have a name?” the questions came out in quick succession. She caught herself, and took a deep breath, before offering the girl a sheepish smile.  “Sorry. I’m Beulah but you can call me Lala if you want.”

daydream believer.
     image credit

@[Altissima]

The staring contest is interrupted by a flurry of questions and the arrival of someone new. Altissima didn’t know which question to answer first so she just widened her eyes as she turned her head to look the soft-pink filly at her side for a moment, blinking quietly. The owl turned its head and did the same thing with those great golden circles as well.

Something that wasn’t her made a whisper into her mind. It wasn’t words, so much as a feeling. A feeling that made her suspect this owl approved of this strange filly.

Altissima probably would’ve liked her too – she got a feeling that this pastel Lala didn’t give you much choice on whether you were going to like her or not, you just had to. But it was strange having someone else plant that idea inside her mind first.

“I’m Altissima.” She answered first, because it seemed the most polite, her voice quiet as she looked between the filly and the owl that was still happily sitting on the ground. “I… I think it’s mine? I don’t know if it…” A flicker of distaste into her head at the word it. “He?” She questioned, and got another burst of anger. “She…” Altissima said firmly and huffed a little at the approval she felt. “I don’t know if she has a name.” The owl gave a small shrug as if it say ‘it didn’t matter’ or ‘no but you could give me one’.

“Do you wanna help me name her?” The blue-tinted filly asked cautiously, dark eyes wide and hopeful as she looked to Lala for help.

Altissima
    of litotes and valdis
    image from pixabay

@[Beulah]

beulah.

The little pink girl watched with wide eyes as the owl matched the blue-touched girl’s movements. A thrill ran through her at the idea of the girl being somehow linked to the owl. She hadn’t known such a thing was even possible and wondered if maybe everyone had an animal out there that was meant to be theirs. Beulah was not well-versed in the ways of magic, but she knew that such things existed. Her mother had had abilities - often leaving fairy lights flickering above her head at bedtime to chase away the things that go bump in the night. The thought of her mother made her heart squeeze in her chest. It’d been so long since she’d seen her - and while Lala had been able to cope she often wondered if her mother was okay.

She quickly shook the thoughts away as the other girl - Altissima - spoke. Lala’s eyes lit up as the girl spoke - all the shadows having been chased away by the very exciting prospect. “Hmm…” Lala muttered, contemplating Altissima’s inquiry. It seemed awfully important, and she didn’t want to mess things up and give the owl a name it didn’t like.  Anxiety bubbled in her chest, but was soothed by the fact that her new friend trusted her enough to make such an important decision.  A smile appeared on her soft pink lips at the very thought that Altissima trusted her so much already. 

“I’ll make you a deal!” She whisper-shouted, pleased with the compromise she’d just worked out.  She turned her light blue eyes on Altissima, practically vibrating with excitement. “You should definitely give her a name BUT I’ll give you both nicknames!” she trilled, happily.

daydream believer.
     image credit

@[Altissima]

The happiness and excitement that the other filly radiates is contagious, though it’s slower to thaw in Altissima. Her smile is smaller but still as genuine though she feels nervous as she waits for Lala’s response to the proposition. Had it been too presumptuous of her to ask for help?

But, her nerves were soon scattered with the whisper-shout deal proposed and her smile brightened. Altissima doesn’t really understand how the proposition from Lala is a compromise, but she’s never had a nickname and she’s curious about what it would be like to have one. She supposed her name was a bit of a mouthful. “Okay.” She agrees quietly, but her eyes (without her knowledge) warm from blue to purple with the bright smile this new friend is coaxing out of her.

Now it’s her turn to think and she turns her attention to the owl, who has begun preening while she waits for the decision.

“How about…” She wants something pretty, something snowy because the owl reminds her of… “Is Winter lame as a name?” She asks and her voice is clearly uncertain. She thinks she feels a hum of approval from the owl herself – and really, Altissima is seeking approval from both the white owl and the pink filly.

Altissima
    of litotes and valdis
    image from pixabay

@[Beulah]
    [Image: willowsticker_by_space1993_ddeo27s_small.png]

beulah.

Beulah could barely tear her eyes away from the owl.  She was pleased that Altissima seemed to had accepted her bargain.  Providing a name to a companion that was not her own just seemed...wrong.  But Beulah’s mind did try to run away from her. She wondered if somewhere out there there was a bird or some other sort of animal out there waiting for her.  She certainly envied the white-blue girl for this discovery, but there was no jealousy. She wasn’t going to be the one to ruin the joy of this discovery.  She preferred to share in it instead. 

Lala looked over at her friend, wondering what she’d come up with in terms of a name. At the same moment, her own mind was whirring. She wanted to make sure that she didn’t come up with a dumb nickname. Nicknames stuck. She knew that for a fact.

She perked up when it seemed like Altissima had settled on a name. “Well she certainly looks like Winter!” Lala said, with a small giggle.  And it was true. Both the girl and the owl looked like they’d be right at home in the snow.  “I think it’s perfect,” she added with a nod of affirmation.  She wondered if the owl approved of her new name too.

”So!” the pink girl said, with a degree of mock formality, “Nickname time!”  She hardly suppressed the squeal that threatened to escape her.  “So for you,” she began, looking to the girl, “Your nickname should be Tissy!”  She then turned to the owl, “And you should be Win or Winny!”  Beulah was confident that these were excellent nicknames, but her confidence faltered for a minute as she waited for Tissy’s reaction.

“What do you think?” she asked, working hard to keep that twinge of doubt out of her voice.

daydream believer.
     image credit

@[Altissima]

Relief spreads through Altissima as her new friend approves of the name that she had chosen for the owl. She’s so thrilled that she did not mess that up! She could feel her excitement grow as Lala took on the task of creating nicknames with an enviable amount of gusto.

Within a couple moments they were crowned Tissy and Winny, and the owl hoots her approval of the nicknames just as Altissima speaks her own. “I like them a lot! Thank you.” She whispers softly, though her now-violet eyes are shining bright with a warm smile. It’s hard for her to convey her joy as enthusiastically as Lala, but she does feel it spreading throughout her entire body. 

Feeling as though a lot has been accomplished, and wanting to give the two girls time to bond, Winny shuffles her feathers a little bit and then takes off. The disappointment at the owl’s absence feels like a knife to her heart but Altissima is soothed through their bond, a vision of the owl going to nap somewhere nearby in a tree. “She’s just going to nap.” She explains to Lala, before turning her attention more fully to the other filly as soon as the owl is out of sight.

For the first time, she really looks at the pink girl without being distracted by the arrival of her companion. She notes the wings folded at Lala’s sides and, after seeing Winny fly off, can’t help but ask in a curious, almost reverent voice - “Can you fly?”

Altissima
    of litotes and valdis
    image from pixabay

@[Beulah]
    [Image: willowsticker_by_space1993_ddeo27s_small.png]