• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i'm just here to fight the fire, plumeria
    If she could have sheltered them forever, she would have. If she could have kept every single one of their children from ever feeling pain or fear or loneliness or cold, she would have. She would have harbored all their hurt inside of her own chest, would have carried the weight of their worries on her own shoulders if it meant they didn’t have to feel anything they didn’t want to. She would have held them tight and close for as long as they would have allowed, would have cherished them like the stars they were. 

But their children had all been born with a little bit of wildness in their veins, some more than others. They scattered like feathers in the wind, and she could do nothing but hope that they might someday find their way back home.

And so she waited, because it was what she was best at.

Today she was alone, because Karina and Kade no longer relied on her, and she was never entirely sure where Jarris was. If she felt sorrow because of this, it was well hidden. She tucked it all away into the far corners of her heart, choosing to project serenity rather than melancholy. She had learned long ago that no amount of shed tears could relieve the loneliness, and no amount of pining made time pass any faster.

But when she catches a storm-cloud gray form coming towards her she cannot deny the elated way her heart jumps. It’s not until the figure is nearly before her that she realizes it’s not him, but, when the recognition washes over her it is just as overwhelming. “Kensley?” She nearly gasps his name, and at first there is a smile that breaks like the dawn across her lips at the sight of her sweet, beautiful son. But whatever happiness had sparked was quickly dampened by the way he crumbles before her, and the sight of him splintering is enough to break her heart clean in half.

“Kensley,” she murmurs into the top of his head where he kneels, lowering her head to rest her cheek against his neck. “I’ve missed you so much,” she breathes him in, and she cannot help but to wonder where Kennice might be, and already she worries that his distress might have something to do with her. It doesn’t occur to her that it could be Keiran. She just knows that Kensley is who is before her, and he feels ready to collapse in on himself like a dying star. “Tell me what happened,” she whispers as she smooths his forelock with her lips, “let me fix it.”

P L U M E R I A
    the fight for you is all I’ve ever known

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i'm just here to fight the fire, plumeria - by Plumeria - 10-15-2019, 12:48 AM