• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

waving flags and waging wars, altissimma

it's better to feel pain than nothing at all
    the opposite of love's indifference

She is bored.
    And perhaps this new, adult boredom is more dangerous than the boredom she had taken out on her sister in the earliest days of their youth.

She was born restless with an insatiable appetite for life that often manifested itself in cruelty. She had bullied Kade, turned her into a pawn that she could use for her own entertainment, and then begun to resent her when others were drawn to her. Perhaps this is dangerous, too.

But Kade is not here and Karina is forced to find her own entertainment. If she were kind, she might have conjured up tiny, brilliant balls of light to illuminate the meadow. To delight its residents. Instead, she conjures great beams of light and casts them into the shadows, throwing those dwelling in the darkness into stark relief.

And she laughs and it is cruel.

There, in a bank of shadows, is a face that she recognizes. She does not immediately know why. But it doesn’t matter, really, because she moves into their space with her eyes narrowed in concentration. The light she conjures overhead casts their features into shadows and she shifts it until she can make out every plain and angle of this familiar stranger’s face.

I know you,” she says, suspicious. It is unclear whether she’s suspicious of the stranger or her inability to place the face. “How do I know you?” She notches up her chin then and the light dissolves and they are plunged back into darkness. The moonlight is even paler in comparison, but it’s good enough.

winged daughter of jarris and plumeria
    forever twin of their forever daughter kade

Altissima had been perfectly content practicing the use of the nightvision qualities of her eyes – a feature she had accidentally shut off and was trying to re-activate in the shadows of the night – when a blast of light blinded her. She hissed, her wings flaring out from where they had been invisible at her sides a moment ago as she whipped around, those strange eyes of hers trying to adjust.

A voice reaches her, and she can tell someone is there. She thinks she recognizes the voice, but it hardly matters at the moment – her annoyance is enough for her to bite back “I’m glad I made such a lasting impression.” Altissima comments dryly. But then, just as she is adjusting to the light, they are plunged back into darkness again. She finds that she resents the darkness a little bit, at least now in contrast with the bright light of moments before, and she reaches out with her own, less impressive, magic to give herself a soft glow that illuminates the space immediately around her.

Her reptile-like eyes shift as well, gleaming with a pale silver. She’s a small satellite of the moon, silvery and pale – but, she thinks to herself, just as pretty as the girl standing before her. Now she more fully recognizes who this is – and recognizes the magic, too – it was the same light that had drawn her over the last time they had met.

But, now that she is more comfortable, her annoyance settles and she knows she’ll answer the question posed – it tickles at her back like a bramble to ignore it. “We met in the playground, your sister was there as well and a boy.” She cannot remember the boy’s name – but she remembers being fascinated by this filly and she’s rather annoyed at herself for still being fascinated. Considering this girl did not recognize Altissima on sight (not to mention the whole 'blinding light' thing her head was still rocking from), the blue-tinted filly isn’t so sure that the light-wielding girl is worthy of her reverence.

“I don’t know if we got to introductions though. I’m Altissima.” A small pause. “Or Tissy.” She adds, belatedly remembering the nickname that Lala had given her.

image by Reitiro

@[karina]
    [Image: willowsticker_by_space1993_ddeo27s_small.png]

it's better to feel pain than nothing at all
    the opposite of love's indifference

At the heart of her, Karina is cruel.
    It does not matter that it is quite by accident.
    Or that her cruelty comes from her bone-deep and unshakable boredom.
    It does not matter that her parents are kind and her sister is a saint.
    There is a darkness in her that not even her own light can reach.

At the heart of her, Karina is cruel but she is not mean-spirited. The girl’s response is tinged with irritation but Karina does not scoff or snarl. Her skin does not bristle with it and she does not roll her eyes and turn away. Instead, she smirks darkly, amused.

Truth be told, Karina had only gotten a passing look at her. In the innocence of her youth, she had been so impossibly drawn to the map of flowers that unfurled around them that she had not been able to force herself to focus on anything else. When the boy had gone, she had followed him. But nothing had ever come of that interaction either. Because she was not soft enough or kind enough or small enough, even in her youth.

She is beautiful, the girl standing in front of her. She is beautiful in a way that spikes envy in her veins. It stokes the flames of wickedness in the center of her chest. She emits a soft light in the darkness and it flares Karina’s nostrils. The light she projects is brighter, harsher. Everything about the girl standing in front of her is soft in a way that Karina has never been.

The playground. She nods then, offers up a smile that flickers and fades. “Ah, of course, I remember now.” She tilts her head, narrows her gaze. “I don’t think I got a very good look at you then,” she muses, “I don’t remember you being so beautiful.” A back-handed compliment if there ever was one, to be sure.

I’m Karina,” she says and offers absolutely no alternative.

winged daughter of jarris and plumeria
    forever twin of their forever daughter kade