• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere)
    The younger mare has a lot to say for someone trying to sneak around, and Neverwhere is quiet beneath it, breath passing through pinched nostrils with a barely-audible hiss. Even with fogged eyes, she can see that the stranger is in a sorry state, and certainly ill-prepared for the winter that is coming. There are places that will hardly be touched by the chill, and that is where the dappled mare would be heading, if it were her, but she refrains from mentioning them. Certainly this one is running from something, and who knows what - or where - that thing is? Her ears swivel, scanning for sounds around them, but so far there is nothing but the quiet crunching of horses grazing, and no scent on the air but one. She puzzles over that smell, she has only met a few horses since coming here, and at least one of them had arrived at the same time she did, there is no reason that anything should strike her as familiar, but whether because of natural differences or the stain of death that spreads across it, she cannot find he answer.

An acerbic challenge cuts through her silence and the dull gold mare steps closer. Shortened ears fall flat, but she exhales in a short, breathy burst that is almost a laugh. Trying to be invisible would certainly work out poorly for her, she is sure - as sure as anyone can be, who has not tried to turn invisible before - that such a feat is well beyond her abilities. Perhaps there is no reason to assume that, but she does, and holds it tightly. Neverwhere has no wish to be truly, physically, invisible, has no wish to discover what balance lies on the other side of that innocuous magic. And anyway, she is perfectly content with the wreck of her face, which Heartfire saw fit to show her once upon a time in this same Meadow. She does not much care what others think of it.

"Obviously not," she responds at last, indifferently. Pale eyes fix onto the girl's black ones when her story dies on her lips, and when she also forgets her own name - for a moment - pink, mottled, lips set in a firm line, as though to say I don't believe you, but the words do not come, remain unspoken, and Neverwhere only nods a small, curt, nod, but I am not going to ask.

"Well, Eh-Evion-the-Nomad, I can certainly see that. I live in Nerine but I am not a recruiter. Who would follow me?" she bares her teeth in a mirthless grin, but there is humor hiding in her voice, "No. I come and go as I please, and Nerine mostly leaves me to it. Are you going that way?"

Her expression turns to one of appraisal. To go North in Evion's condition would be a a taxing thing to do, the weather is quickly growing cold there, and the forage poorer by the day. It is not a place for the sickly. Not so stark as Icicle Isle, perhaps, but not so far removed. If the journey doesn't kill her, the exposure of the clifftops may.

"I can't imagine why you would want to go there, but if you need a guide..."

The blind leading the dead?
    Even she has to laugh at that.

@[Eyas]
    (ooc: FYI Eyas is welcome to use any magics she wants, or doesn't want, to use on Nev. I don't care lol)

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere) - by Neverwhere - 10-20-2019, 10:45 PM