• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[mature]  Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere)
    There had not really been a moment of persuasion, a moment where Neverwhere had ever stopped to consider consequences, a moment when Heartfire needed to convince her of anything. What Heartfire had offered was a lark, and what Neverwhere had accepted was with every expectation that it would come with hidden strings. She expects nothing less of magic. But, so far, the strings have not bothered her terribly, if she can see only in Nerine, it is better than the nothing she had before, and if it is suddenly gone one day, it will only be as before she met the Nerinian Queen.

"A special connection might be over-selling it a bit," she grumbles as the last pang of pain dissolves away in a haze of pressure. Her ears flicker, brushing away Evion's conciliatory tone with irritation, the scars on her face flushed a fading red and her nostrils drawn tight enough that her lips are pulled into a mostly-unintentional snarl.

"For someone who also claims not to like using magic, you sure use an awful lot of it," the dappled mare retorts, "and without much care, either."

What does this bedraggled bit of skin know about Heartfire or whatever relationship Neverwhere has established with her, and why should it matter to her, anyway? She bristles under the other mare's condescension for a moment, but then drops it with a roll of her shoulders, unwilling to carry someone else's burden so personally.

"We are all hypocrites."

This is not an apology, it is not an attempt to close the widening gap between them. She holds the winged buckskin in her clouded gaze firmly, the snarl of her lips becoming a cool frown, and flatly states what seems obvious to her. She will not acknowledge any regret for her decision, both because she simply refuses to do so, and also because no-one has given her a good enough reason to consider it. In any case, what's done is done and cutting those ties is almost certain to require further meddling with magic, and this she also has no interest in doing.

"In any case, I suppose I see some of your interest in heading to Nerine."

The younger mare is so hot and cold about it that Neverwhere wonders if that is really her intent at all. A strange thing to bring up and lie about, though, if not. The expression on her face is one of scrutiny, though what she can scrutinize with those eyes may be deeply questionable. Nonetheless, it is the most apt description. At last, she sighs.

"Can you do something about the stink on your skin? If you do come to Nerine, the easiest way passes through Taiga and I'd prefer not to draw Wolfbane's attention while I'm there."

Because I will have to kick his stupid face in, she thinks, the snarl returning to her lips unbidden. The chances that she could do it may be minimal, but she's willing to try, if it comes to it.

Neverwhere

@[Eyas] Was it your intention for me to have the Barbie Girl lyrics stuck in my head?

Messages In This Thread
    RE: Sidewalk scenes and black limousines (Neverwhere) - by Neverwhere - 11-08-2019, 11:16 PM