• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  we're all just stories in the end, voracious

You twist, I turn, who's the first to burn?

You sit and stay, I don't obey.

Unlike her, he has yet to grow bored with the endless possibilities of the surface world. Everything is so vastly different here that, at times, he wonders if he might explore it forever and never cease to be amazed. The only land he had discovered that he had taken an instant dislike to had been a bone-littered beach that smelled of salt and death. Too much that place had reminded him of home. The endless burden of brine hanging in the air, tainting the blood and death his kind seemed to spill so easily.

Everything he had chosen the leave behind.

Truth be told, he had not spared as much thought for those who had aided him, and for whom he had in turn provided aid, as he likely should have. There had been too much to discover here for him to lend great thought to such things. And, well, though he may be different from his brethren in many ways, in others he is far too similar.

Were he aware of such things, he would have despised it. But alas, he still has much learning to do.

On this chill evening he has found himself in the depths of a forest made notable by the large, old trees that shelter it’s reaches with spindly, leafless branches. The dropping temperatures had alarmed him at first, never having had the pleasure of experiencing winter before. But he had quickly discovered this chilly season to be a common occurrence on the surface world, with water frozen into expansive white fluff and ice clinging persistently to lakes and trees. Though he had taken to lingering in the warmer climates on the coldest of days, today he his wandering curiosity had overtaken him. He had spent what was likely a shameful amount of time licking frost and ice from brittle leaves and rattling branches until curiosity had drawn him to nibble on the hardy green leaves that seemed to persist despite the cold.

He had found them prickly and sharp-tasting. Unusual, but not entirely unpleasant. This is how he could be found when the splashed girl locates him. He had been paying no attention to what locals might be present, and so when her voice rings through the crisp air, exclaiming at having found him, he startles quite badly.

Heart hammering in his chest, he whips around, brightly-colored wings flaring, feathered tail ruffling upright as he snorts in alarmed warning. When reason returns however, and he recognizes the sources of that voice, an apologetically surprised chirp escapes his throat as he breathes a sigh of relief. Shaking himself, he settles wings and feathers back into place before offering her a small, sheepish smile.

“I am… right here,” he replies a bit quizzically, before belatedly realizing she likely didn’t have the same ability to locate prey as he. Or, er, others, rather. Should probably not think of them as prey any longer. Her excited questions cause him to blink in surprise. He stares at her for a long moment, no doubt a bit stupidly, as he tries to decide if it is meant to be a joke. “Who could ever be bored here?” He blurts out abruptly, genuinely confused. “There’s no training. No schedule. I can do anything I want!
    Voracious

Messages In This Thread
    RE: we're all just stories in the end, voracious - by Voracious - 11-05-2019, 06:20 PM