• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

frost or flame, skeleton me; birthing
    She couldn’t bring her second child into this world without experiencing the echoes of her first – it was in every twinge and urge, every wave that gripped her – and though she closed her eyes against it, all she saw through the darkness was Evia. Yet when it was finished, she would turn. She would see the stark differences – the alien brilliance of her firstborn juxtaposed with the absolute plainness of her second – and she would feel such a sharpness in her chest that her lips tightened coldly against the sheer force of it.

Evia had been the outcome of a mutual experiment – the result of which had been undeniably extraordinary. Kora would remember the shimmer of her as she’d slipped like a gemstone beneath the waves, even as she walked this shadow of a second daughter across the same brooding sea on a bridge of ice that materialized before them as they went. Yet while her first daughter had been forever changed by what Kora and Woolf had done next, this time the mage of winter made her decision alone.

If the first had been an experiment, the second had been an eventuality. Perhaps she should have foreseen it – put an end to it before it happened – but she had allowed herself a passing sort of indulgence (a test in its own right), and now here was the result. An undeniably ordinary one. Kora could have brought the girl to her father. She could have let Hurricane take her under his wing.

Instead, she sought the wings of another.

Leander had seen the pair from above. He had recognized the cocoon of snow surrounding them for what it was – and he had circled, long and slow, before alighting amidst the flurries that kept the warm touch of spring at bay. There was a silence between them – the silence of a chasm that had long since split the brother and sister apart. He looked first to Kora, searching her ice-blue eyes for something. For anything.

But whatever it was that he was looking for, he didn’t find it.

“You wanted a niece.” Her dished head tilted to indicate the dark child, the ice arraying her cheekbones glistening sharply with the slight movement. “Now you have one.” For a moment longer, he stared at Kora – and when the clouds above rumbled, rippling with sudden flashes of static, Lee watched his sister’s gaze cut to the skies. He watched her waver, a witness to the echoes of an old fear that had once ruled her life, and he remembered all that his parents had told him – all that Rhy had told him about Kora. The guilt that welled up in him then served to replace the crackling anger he’d felt upon understanding her intent.

She intended to leave her child with him.

Just as quickly as it had manifested, the storm (both within and without) dissipated. “You’re wrong,” he said quietly. “Now I have three. A nephew, too.” He didn’t wait for Kora’s reaction, fearing there wouldn’t be one – she’d buried emotion too deep – and instead turned his attention to the slip of a shadow that hadn’t moved from Kora’s side. Had he lingered a moment longer, Leander might finally have glimpsed that something a fleeting light that passed through the cool glow of her gaze as she took his meaning.

Rhy must have had children, too.

The stallion stepped forward. “I’m your uncle Lee,” he said to the girl, his voice kind and steady. “What’s your name?” Even as he approached, he could sense the wintry mare beginning to turn away. A pang seared in his chest as he watched the child become witness her own mother’s retreat. Then, in an echo of Kora’s parting with her first daughter, she left only these whisper-soft words behind: “Her name is Ashlin.”

Instinctively, Leander moved to block the filly’s view of Kora as she left. Fallen snow started to melt around them. Lee knew his sister meant to disappear, just as she’d done before. Did this second daughter know it, too? She was so still, so quiet, standing there and staring right through him – and when she finally did look up at him, Lee could have sworn she almost disappeared then, too. It had only been a flicker, as though he’d blinked and lost sight of her for a split second. Except he hadn’t blinked. Or had he?

Despite the tightness in his chest, Lee smiled for his niece. It was the first smile she had ever seen. “Ashlin,” he began gently, “You’re safe with me.” He wanted to say, I’ll take care of you, but the words stuck in his throat when he remembered that his mother used to say those exact words to him. Instead, he rearranged his wings at his sides and said, “How would you like to meet your cousin?” The warmth of him was so different from what the girl was used to that she could only manage a small nod. “Well, alright then,” he murmured, guiding the child away – far away from the place where her mother had abandoned her.

“Let’s go find Rae.”

leander
    take a bullet to the heart just to keep you safe; like a dream in my arms but I'm wide awake

please ignore my type A need for continuity and pretend I'm not here :|