• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

i feel a bad moon rising | territory meeting
    again you’re gone, off on a different path than mine
    i'm left behind wondering if i should follow

She takes a deep breath, the thick smell of pine and summer heavy in her nose, and exhales it slowly. It is time. Past time, truly, but there are some things that are hard to let go of, and harder still to forget. 

With Elio at her heel, the dun mare makes her way through the redwood forest. When she finds the landmark from which she had made her first address to Taiga, she finds Pteron already there and his olive eyes are somber.  A fresh scar marks his piebald shoulder and Lepis frowns, but heeds his dismissive head shake and does not press farther. Instead, she steps up onto the rocky ridge, listing her head and letting out a call to summon the residents of Taiga. This vantage point is not meant to give her cause to look down at them when they assemble, but rather to make sure she is heard, and that she can hear them in turn. 

Not all the residents will come, the Comtesse knows. There are some who prefer to live in the shadows of the redwoods, to raise their dark-eyed children at the edges of the land in peace and quiet. But many will, and most must. Lepis’ blue grey eyes search for a few in particular: Aten, Izora Lethia, Lilliana, and Wolfbane. Whether they come or not, her message will be the same. While they wait, Reia joins them, sliding up beside Pteron and pressing what Lepis sees as an affectionate kiss to his neck. Her sides are swollen with child – her grandchild, Lepis thinks with a faint smile.

Celina comes next, a pale shape in the woods, and she lingers at the edge of the meadow. Even at this distance, the distrust comes off her in waves, and when she finally leaves the woods it is with purposeful space between herself and her mother, standing nearer to Pteron and his pregnant wife.

When the rest of them come, Lepis swallows, clears her throat, and steps up to speak.

“Most of you know my son, Pteron.” At his name, the stallion steps forward, standing equal to his mother. “He has served Taiga for years, and Loess even longer. It is my belief that he will make a fine leader for Taiga, which is why I have chosen to make him my heir.” She pauses for a moment, allowing Pteron to speak if he wishes to, and watching the assembled faces. She is proud of her eldest son, immensely proud, but she does not take this chance to instill that same pride in the gathered Taigans. She could, quite easily, and yet knows that it is better if they develop such an emotion on their own rather than receiving it via projection.

“I’ve called you here to tell you this, as well as to announce that I will be taking my leave of Taiga within the next few days.” Back to Loess, she thinks, back to the first home she had ever known. The home she should have never left, she thinks sometimes. There is little pause before she speaks again, though her thoughts whirl quickly. “I ask that you accept Pteron in my place.” Now she falls quiet, leaving the request hanging in the empty air of the forest. Now is the time for them to voice their objections – if they have them – or to welcome the new order of Taiga.

LEPIS
    i’m the one who sees you home--
    but now i’m lost in the woods

and i don’t know what path you are on
    finger trips across my cheek----------------
    ----------------kiss me until i can't speak

The early morning sunlight filters through the trees, and Pteron raises his head and lets the summer sun warm his dark face. This is the day, he knows, and without a glance behind him at the sleeping mare, he heads toward the pre-appointed meeting place. He hopes the mare behind him will sleep the assembly away. Pregnancy tires her, he knows, and she often dozes longer in the morning. Pteron likes when she sleeps because that means he does not have to deal with her, or with the immense weight that the child growing in her belly represents. He cannot resent the unborn foal – it is innocent eve if its mother is not. It does not deserve the acid that curls in his throat at the sight of the beautiful Reia, or the tight knot of anxiety that her touch inspires. So he swallows that down, plays the dutiful (if distant) husband, and carries the additional ties to Loess with all the grace that he has been taught.

He still dreams of violets every night, but he no longer goes looking for them, not when Reia would burn them to a crisp for even thinking of it.

Arriving at the meeting place a few moments before his mother, Pteron has a chance to climb on the ridge and look out at the gathering meadow. It is quiet here in the early morning, with a low blanket of fog that has already mostly burnt away in the sun. The day promises to be bright and sunny – a perfect day. The tobiano sighs, and turns to find Lepis and Elio approaching. He ruffles his younger brother’s red mane and brushes away his mother’s concern over the mark on his neck. He’d been too slow in telling Reia that he loved her the night before, and the golden dragoness had made sure he regretted it.

Lepis calls the territory, and Pteron adds his voice to hers just before he catches a familiar smell of smoke and saffron. It’s Reia, stepping in beside him and pressing a kiss to his throat and the wide well of her belly against his side. For the child, he remains still, but he does not look at her. He knows what this day will bring, and though he is resigned to it he cannot make himself act as though he will enjoy his own announcement that will follow his mother’s. If only the change in leadership were the only announcement, he thinks.

When it is time for him to speak, he does so, standing next to his mother and looking out at the assembled Taigans. Were it not for the golden woman behind him, this would be a proud moment. It feels strange to list his accomplishments, those things that he has done because they were expected of him. “I learned much in my time serving in the Loessian army, and have continued training these three years in Taiga’s. It would take a lifetime to learn my mother’s political acumen, but I have friends in most of Beqanna’s lands and know that I will be able to protect Taiga and help her continue to grow.” Now is the difficult part, and despite the weight of the words on his tongue they sound little different from those that came before.

“My wife, Reia, has agreed to leave her father’s kingdom in Loess to join us. I look forward to raising our child here and serving Taiga as its leader.”

That said, he steps back, allowing his mother to continue speaking, and then waiting to hear the response of his fellow Taigans. There is a sinking sensation in his belly, especially as he presses a gentle kiss to Reia’s pretty face, but his expression does not falter.

-- pteron --

Somber, that is how Elio describes himself today. That is a word he just learned from eavesdropping on a pair of adults discussing their passed family. He had picked up that term from context clues and then quietly sent them just an inkling peace.

So, today he is somber. Somber as he thinks of those mourning strangers, as he realizes leaving Taiga starts now, as he plods closely behind his mother’s hind. The golden boy is approaching one and a half years old, and he finds that Lepis gets shorter and shorter. Their shoulders are close to being level. Everyday he notices that he will grow taller than his mother (so much like his father), and that forces his brow to furrow.

“Hey,” he murmurs up at Pteron, steely eyes softening with his brother’s touch. A soft nip at the new leader’s shoulder and a whispered good luck then Elio tucks himself to right and a bit behind Lepis.

They speak, give their news and their hopes, and Elio does not so much as nod. He is a fixture, the last piece of the Lepane family, standing in solidarity with their legacy. He has no place in these political matters, nor does he feel he has a place in how the family splits itself. Mostly, he is here to be with his mother and to witness the territory in action.

So, he remains quietly beside his family, every minute or so sending waves of peace toward Lepis and Pteron.

[Image: elio-by-dozymare-ddo34i6.png]

no one really knows what the ocean hides
    but you and I, bird, we’re gonna find out

She has won.

It did not come without pain, strife, and aggravation. Exhaustion reads clearly on her face as she slowly lumbers from the trees not long after Lepis calls to the entire group. Both physical and emotional, but she takes pause as the treeline, staring across the small meadow. Her cerulean eyes lift to the raised edge where the Comtesse currently stands, addressing them in such a practiced manner that Reia cannot help the gravitational pull in her chest. No one will see her so weak and tired. With a sharp breath, she straightens herself and allows the blue flames to crackle and hiss along her crest. Proudly, she moves among them and climbs to take her place at Pteron’s side. It isn’t without a dutiful kiss that presses to his throat.

Of course, he does not waver in response to the affection. Sadistically, she notes this, but says nothing as she leans into his side, certain to keep her widened barrel against him in silent reminder. An eager glance finds Lepis, playing the role of excited mother-to-be. They – all but Pteron – do not realize how brash she is, how feral she acts out. This life has never been suitable for her, but she obediently follows her betrothed.

If anything, it is her way to deter other promiscuous suitors.

A jagged grin stretches across her lips when he addresses her as his wife. The amiable expression is forced, because although she successfully plays a façade, her thoughts reel back to Pteron calling her a broodmare back in Loess. It takes everything in her not to bristle at the memory. Her role, right now, is to be the bond between kingdoms and to stand behind Pteron during this hierarchical shift. Lifting her chin, she tenderly cradles the curve of his jaw, whispering, ”Long may you reign,” before pressing her cheek to his neck in quiet adoration and support.  

and I'll be next to you when the lights go out

Reia
    The white two-year old lingers at the edge of the meadow, summoned by the calls of her mother and brother but reluctant to join them. Her interest in politics have shrunk in the face of her newest interest, and a predator has little time for the intricacies of power changes. The woods will be no different under one leader than another; there will still be shorelines to hunt and shadows to stalk.

Still, she catches Lepis’ gaze and knows she has been spotted. 

Moving across the open field in a striking imitation of her father’s recently-adopted prowl, the scaled filly finds her place not far from the rise in the earth upon which her family stands. She does keep Pteron between herself and Lepis, and so has a good view of the cremello tobiano mare that has attached herself to Celina’s brother. That makes Reia her sister-in-law, Celina supposes, which feels an odd title for a woman that she has never met. The green-eyes filly inspects the woman carrying her firstborn nibling, from the feathered wings to the dragon scales and sharp teeth that flash when she speaks. A predator, thinks Celina with an unexpected thrill – someone like her. Reia is beautiful, Celina decides, and perfect for Pteron. Perfect in general, the girl decides, and wonders how best to foster a relationship with her. Perhaps Reia likes to hunt. Perhaps they can hunt.

The prospect brings a brighter smile to Celina’s angular face than she’d worn before, and she glances between her elder brother and her sister-in-law with a pleased sort of satisfaction. Mother is leaving the woods, and is being replaced by a beautiful dragon. Celina’s life seems like it is taking a definite upswing.

celina
    i'm that bad type, make-your-mama-sad type
    make-your-girlfriend-mad type, might-seduce-your-dad type

He knew this was coming, but he of course dreaded the day it would actually happen, and if only because he had to stand there and accept it despite the anger he would feel. He would keep himself, his nature, in check. Only a select few in his life had the privilege to know of his gift now; only they would get to see what it could change him into.

Aten was grazing with his family in one of their secluded glens in Taiga's western lands. When Lepis' call rang up through the redwoods, summoning the land's residents, Aten sighed and gathered his family together. With Lethia by his side, and their foals that were there accompanying them, they headed to the main meadow in Taiga's heartland.

The walk was calm, even with the anxiety Aten felt building within. Kalil was happy to play with Orion and Ruth as they walked along, the yearling still a bouncing colt full of energy despite the sometimes calm demeanor he exhibited like his sire. Aten was happy to see his son, as well as his siblings, having the chance to interact and play like this, for it gave them the foal hood he so desperately wished they could experience due to his own lack of one.

Aten and his family arrived after the majority of Lepis' here in Taiga did. By the time they showed up, Lepis herself, along with Pteron, and Reia are there too. Aten also spotted Celina emerge from the wood and walk towards her family, though the filly seemed rather reluctant to do so. Unaware of the turmoil bubbling in their circle, since he didn't want to be bothered by business that wasn't his, the stallion showed no emotion for the family ahead of his own.

Though still in a playful mood, Kalil and the others calmed some, as if sensing the tense aura in the air. They stayed close to the two adults, Kalil pressing himself between his two parents, feeling comfort there, but also trying to stay close to Orion and Ruth.

Upon arrival of other horses, Lepis seemed to have decided that was enough. She stands forward to speak to Taiga's residents, introducing Pteron first. The young colt stepped forward at his name, looking full of himself as Lepis stated she had made the colt her chosen heir. Aten could feel his nature stir, but he forced it down, reminding himself of the conversation he had with Lepis a few suns prior to today, and knowing he would still be here to protect Taiga, he could not make any negative moves if only to protect his loved ones.

Pteron had a few words, speaking of his time training and the friendships he had. Apparently, his wife, Reia, had also agreed to stay and rule Taiga with him, to raise their foal together and for Pteron to lead. Aten found it almost ironic.

Lepis states that she hopes the Taigans will accept Pteron as their ruler following her departure to Loess in a few suns, and Aten had more than a few choice words. Kalil, almost sensing his sire's emotion, stepped up to look into Aten's eyes. The yearling idolized his sire, thinking of him as a great leader, and he'd heard from his dam how his sire had at one point led this very kingdom himself.

Aten knew what his colt was going to ask, and quickly shook his head to silence the words on Kalil's lips, not wanting him to speak before thinking. The yearling's eyes grew dark, but when he saw the look on his sire's face, he stepped back and moved closer to his siblings to be out of the firing line.

Aten decided to be the first of the Taigans outside Lepis' family to speak. It took every ounce of self control he had to speak without a trace of venom on his tongue, and, eventually, he got his words out while maintaining a steady voice.

"You have done good for Taiga, Lepis, and while there are some of us that are no doubt sad to see you depart, we will respect your decision, and can hope that your son will lead us in a manner befitting Taiga's glory."

@[Izora Lethia] @[Orion] @[Owin] @[Lepis] @[Pteron]
    It had been a quite morning, time well spent with Aten and her children. It seemed like those days were coming more far and few between. She had laced the small glen in a web of calm that afternoon. The children seemed to argue less and Aten seemed to be at ease, where his muscles had become knotted and a frown line had seemed to begin as of late.

When Aten rounded their family up to answer Lepis' call she offered him a small, sincere smile and kissed him lightly on his golden cheek. She followed beside him as they found their way to the spot it had all began, this conflicting idea that Taiga belonged to anyone else but Aten.

They settled into place as the meeting began, Kalil bumping softly against her side and the rest of the children finding their own places amongst Taiga.

Lethy's amethyst eyes trailed along those in attendance finding root at the sight of her long time friend and her son, along with his now pregnant wife. Her eyes held all the sadness and frustrations of years past as she listened to Lepis and Pteron speak.

She remembered the first times she had met Lepis, funny how she always went back to that moment. Lepis had been as elegant and graceful as ever but she had been resigned to standing guard amongst the cliffs of Loess, not leading a piece of land forced from another. She thought about the first time she had met Pteron. They had both come across the same solid rock, which had transformed into a horse before their curious eyes. This had been the exact day Taiga had been forced from Aten's leadership.

As the duo spoke upon their throne of weathered stone Lethia pressed her muzzle into Aten's neck. She could feel those muscles knotting again and the anger creeping up. She had no doubt the man she loved would hold himself in check, despite his new ability, but a little extra help never hurt anybody.

When he spoke she let the magic flow from her to him, tender wisps of calm. She knew how hard this moment was for him. A promise broken. His hope of leading again ripped from his hooves. The great protector standing behind a boy of those who had taken everything.

Her purple eyes bore into Lepis once she had released Aten from her magic. Once she knew she had the woman's attention she shook her head slowly, disappointment and disapproval hardened across her face. She could simply reach for that familiar feeling of calm if she wished to, but this was no time for being calm. She and Aten had poured to much of themselves into Taiga to simply be looked over because their hearts did not lie in bed with Loess.

A promise is a promise, and broken promises are unforgivable.

And so the tender, soft spoken, kind hearted Izora Lethia gathered what of her children who wanted to return to play and turned to leave. Aten may need to stay as a presence of good will, protector, but she had no desire to be apart of this. With one last and final stoney look towards Lepis she wandered away from the clearing, back to her own part of Taiga.
    forget me not; but never remember
    Lethy
    IMG-20190524-092123-677
    A sound like thunder rolls across the Taigan forest, makes the ground shudder and the trees quake. Thunder is common enough in the summer, but the day is bright and shining, the sun rising higher overhead in the small clearing where the residents of Taiga gather.

Where most of them meet.

Popinjay is not there. She has been flying all night, flying since sometime after midday yesterday when, she believes, she died and became an enormous bird. She has been coasting on thermals half in a panic, half delighted. Being a bird is better than being dead, but it was awfully unexpected, and she has never seen a bird as large as a dragon. Neither, it would seem, have the vultures that share the thermals, they veer away from her wary and wild, and the ravens simply follow her, cursing - at least, she thinks they are cursing. Becoming a bird has not given her the ability to speak with them, which she finds considerably disappointing. She wonders if the Fairies are laughing at her on their mountain top as she veers to one side, angling sharply away, and thrusts herself forward in the air with a sweep of her wings. The air breaks around them and sounds like thunder.

Travel in this way is simple, the distance is nothing for her, a blink, and it is not long before the young... raptor is circling above her redwood forest, but the trouble that has kept her aloft all night finds her here, too. She cannot outrun it, though she wheels and dives, her shadow massive as it flutters across the tree tops. If anything, coming home has made things so much worse.

She still doesn't know how to land.

And not only does she not know how, she does not know where to do it. Although gliding along on the thermals reserves massive amounts of energy, her shock and her inexperience use it up almost as quickly. Popinay is growing weary fast, her wings ache and her lungs burn until even her skeleton feels like it is on fire. Her muscles are beginning to betray her. The angry twitch of a muscle lifts feathers she hadn't meant to move and her trajectory changes abruptly, cartwheeling sharply upwards before slingshotting down again.

The great black and red bird falls, spinning and descending so fast that her wings are pinned to her sides. It is dizzying and dazzling and for a moment she forgets to fight against it, but through the clear eyelid that protects her eyes as she falls, she suddenly takes note of the horses below her. Few are strangers to her, though some are more well known to her than others. Poppy fans her tail and her rotation changes just enough that broad, red-striped, wings can unfurl, but it's too little, too late.

And then she crashes. The noise is horrendous, earth-shaking. She lands in the middle of the clearing, in the middle of their meeting, a tumult of feathers and sharp claws, tumbling and tearing at the earth. The raptor rolls violently, wings flapping uselessly as her momentum throws her from one end of the clearing to the other, scattering the horses. There is no hint of control in her rolling, and her thrashing is equally dangerous to tree and horse. A large larch tree breaks across her back, adding its remains to the body count.

When at last she stops, when at last the earth grows still and the clearing quiet, she is propped upside-down by two stubbornly-rooted redwoods, her claws in tights fists, each full of grass and rock and the left one grasping a sapling pulled up by its roots. The small meadow has grown significantly, its beauty marred by the wide swath of her destruction. Her breath is quick, shallow, panting, as she watches her fellow Taigans peer out again from the places they fled to - if they fled and she did not simply crush them. Popinjay laughs, but her voice is so different, a high, breathy trill, and she cannot make her beak form words.

It does not occur to her that they will not recognize her in this shape.

Popinjay
    She was not quite what you would call refined
    He had wandered into the clearing trailing his family. Where once gangly legs protruded from his body now stood strong, worked, secure legs. His body had been all sharp angles, and unflattering edges now it was wrapped in muscle and age. Though growing he was now more gentle and thoughtful as ever, he was not easily provoked - unless your name was Poppy, her untimely antics always pushing just the right button. His mind was sharp, able to differentiate between individual minds more fluidly and accurately.

His mind wandered through the gathered group as he listened to the adults talk. His brow furrowed as his mothers sadness crept through his mind. He watched her silently with soft blue-amethyst eyes as she left the meeting with out a single word.

It didn't take long for his eyes to drift skyward moments before the his sisters giant, transformed body invaded the opening above. The winged creature blocked the sun, throwing scattered shadows across the small clearing. Others dashed for safety as she came tumbling in like a freaking natural disaster. His eyes rolled as he watched her not so graceful landing against the large redwoods.

Owin huffed as he began his way across the clearing to stand infront of his rather large bird sister. He cocked his head, dipping his neck so that they were eye to eye. You always have the most memorable entrances. he stared for a moment before talking in hushed tones, Lepis has names Pteron her heir, not Aten. She will be going back to Loess soon, and he and his wife are staying to rule and raise their children here. he glanced at Aten and then to the center of the meadow where the trio stood. None of this is funny, so if you could just pull yourself together for a moment that would be great.
    Owin
    feelings are too loud for words
    and too shy for the world

The branches above her head are intertwined like cathedral arches. Few sunbeams can reach the forest floor but those that can drift down in beautiful silence. It casts shadows against the leafy ferns and paints the redwoods in several shades of auburn. The golden rays that reach her down here allow warmth to blossom in her chest as the light embraces her crimson pelt; Taiga, for all its fog and forgotten places, can be an achingly lovely place. Those tall trees might seem imposing to some, the mists impossible to navigate for others but these little coves and knolls, these hidden places that lay in wait have embedded themselves in that dreaming heart of hers.

Lilliana walks through the sun rays and has a rare moment of peace. It isn't unusual for the air to be absent of birdsong. It isn't unusual for the forest to lull her soul as it does now - as the quiet wraps around the trees and the copper woman. It settles with Lilli for company and she doesn't mind. (Taiga and the chestnut mare have long made their peace with each other.)

She could spend her afternoon here easily. The humidity is made bearable by the salt air and there is a loveliness in watching the fog evaporate, as it becomes enveloped by light. Pale shades of silver and gold dance together in ways reminiscent of lingering dreams and Lilliana feels a smile curve against her dark mouth as she looks up - the Taiga is waking.

And then the forest does come to life. A cry rings through her sanctuary and Lilli turns her head to the direction that is has come from. That coming smile turns into a thoughtful line and the expression that dawns could be considered conflicted as thoughts turn over in her mind. (She doesn't want to go.) How easy would it be to stay here and ignore that call? Could she ignore it?

That is an easier question and an even easier answer.
    No.

Serenity gives way to disharmony as a battle rages in Lilliana's chest - it tightens in angry protest.

The Diplomat sets herself apart from those that had gathered and settles between two younger evergreens for company. They offer her shady companionship and Lilliana is content to let herself fade in the background; where Lepis and her family stand, they command all her attention anyway.

The Comtesse comes forward and starts to speak, unraveling a new future for Taiga. She announces that Pteron will be the heir for the northern forest which isn't so shocking - dynasties and lineages tied to places, lives that bleed into the soft ground they stand on, is something that is not unknown to her. Her expression is contemplative and her ears prick forward as she continues to listen. Lepis is.. leaving? Her throat is closing and suddenly, the trees creep closer. The two that she stands beneath suddenly feel as if they are looming, ready to cast judgment instead of shadows.

Oh, Gods.

There isn't enough air in her lungs. (They are on fire. They burn in their want for more, in their demand that she needs more space. That she needs to get away.) A deep breath does nothing to alleviate the guilt that pushes against her ribs. Lilliana steps forward but she can't bring herself to look at Lepis; she should, she knows. Protocol and etiquette demand it of her but that vice around her throat threatens to close again.

There is so much happening here, in this moment, that it all blurs together. There is a pulse echoing between her ears - run, run, run - that is incessantly pushing her towards a void that she has succeeded in avoiding until this moment. Aten is speaking. An ear is kept in his direction as Lilliana slips towards where the royals stand, coming close enough that they can hear her. How she is able to find a steady word (how she even formulates a thought is beyond her), she doesn't know. But where Aten leads, she will follow. "Pteron," the Diplomat says with a respectful dip of her head towards him, "I look forward to working with you in serving the Taiga." Lilli smiles graciously and then looks to the pregnant woman at his side, his wife. (Does she serve as their shackle or their protection?) "And welcome Reia."

This is all she can do. The roar is back in her mind and there are only moments before her composure cracks - before everything comes crashing down. Lilliana gives a fleeting look to Lepis - a glance that flashes several emotions. The chestnut mare turns to follow Lethia and her children, ready to do whatever she needs to soften the hard lines she saw forming on the buckskin's face. 

but it's all in the past, love
    it's all gone with the wind