• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

. : a new start; a new chance : .

Jacque’s head shot up in surprise. His ears flicked forward, and his head shot up. He had been daydreaming, and with only one functional eye losing focus is dangerous for a prey animal. Despite being in the depths of the forest, where his shimmering dark bay coat was perfect camouflage, he still had to keep his wits about him so that he was not wounded by a predator and did not accidentally irritate a territorial stallion. He was both physically and mentally exhausted after his long journey over fairly rough terrain and he was eager to find a place to rest, or somewhere that he could stay.

Since his exile from his previous herd, four years ago, Jacque had never joined a herd as he had always felt that he would be a burden upon the lead stallion, however now this was beginning to change. He was starting to feel much more comfortable in his own abilities and was starting to crave companionship. He had not had a friendly relationship with anyone for almost a year, and he was beginning to feel that he was going to go insane unless he took some steps to rectify that.

The noise that had alarmed him soon piqued his interest; a stream, leaping over smooth pebbles and making its way down the gentle slope that he had just climbed. Within a few moments of noticing this, he glanced upstream and noticed a spectacular set of falls supplying the stream. As he reached the bank, he looked around to survey the area and check for danger, before bowing his head to take a long, cool drink from the stream’s clear water and quenching his thirst.

I had left mother slumbering beneath the shade of the trees. She had been spent, exhausted trotting around after me, her keen eye had been ever so shrewd in spotting my adventures. She had pulled me from clambering up on the rocks of the Falls, several times already today. And as it was still weighing on her, the whole birthing process, I thought I would do her a favour and let her sleep.

Well, my plans were foiled to a degree, for she watched me idly, until I slunk off, my blue frame melting into the shadows. I had my fill of sustenance, my legs gradually gaining coordination. I made my way through the shadows of the trees, skulking, like a wolf, stretching my neck out, each hoof moving with languid grace. My soft eyes moved, spotting the spring butterflies, the budding blooms under foot, which I crunched as I went. I dipped my muzzle, once reaching the water's edge, snorting, sniffing as the water rippled and I saw myself staring back.

It had taken me quite some time to realise it was me. I had raced backwards and forwards, much to my mother's laughter. She had grabbed me by the shoulder and forced me to look back at her, and then to the water. Finally, the penny dropped and I gathered that the water, was not only wet, but also reflective. I bent my front leg, knee tucking up into my sternum. I nodded, throwing my crown up and back, up and sidewards, until I launched into the shallow part of the waters. Wading, with far less grace than I would have hoped. My adventures now transpired to swimming.

That was when I noticed him, the stranger, idly drinking from the waters depths. I slunk low, the waters lapping at my shoulders. I kicked, tore through the watery depths until I emerged, dripping with the cool spring water along my pelt, darkening my roan body to near black. As my mother wasn't around, I guessed this stranger needed someone to greet him. And well, perhaps not all strangers were bad, as my mother had warned me about. Never talk to strangers; then how, how do you expect me to turn into some fine man if I were to never meet another?

'Hello.' My stubby tail was a short pendulum behind, to and fro, to and fro. 'My mother told me to never talk to strangers. But how does she expect me to meet anyone?' I snorted, blowing the droplets of water from my nostrils. 'I'm Akos. Who are you?'

A k o s;
    we work in the dark to serve the light
    texas x eld

Jacque knew that there were plenty of plants that would relieve his thirst just as efficiently as drinking, and they were probably abundant in the forest that he had just passed through, but he craved the cold, crisp and refreshing water that a natural spring provided. The more he drank, the more he wanted, but he had to force himself to lift his head after a few moments to take stock of his surroundings and ensure that there was nobody there. Satisfied with his brief surveillance, he dipped his head once more to drink from the cool stream.

Soon, his thirst was quenched and the water left him feeling content and considerably more able to continue his journey. He carefully shook his muzzle, removing the majority of the water that had formed droplets on his muzzle and his whiskers. Cautiously, he stepped over the stream's edge, dipping his foreleg into the water. He waited until he had found a relatively stable foothold before lifting his other foreleg into the water. He watched patiently as the ripples from both his disturbances of the water bounced around playfully on the surface. While stood in that way; straddling the boundary between land and water, a voice made him jump.

'Hello.' The voice said, startling Jacque and causing him to almost slip and fall. Regaining his balance, he looked up, careful not to slip on the wet, smooth pebbles on the river bed. 'My mother told me to never talk to strangers. But how does she expect me to meet anyone?' With this remark also came a snort, which was when Jacque remembered that it would also be useful to look at the owner of this voice, to discover who they were and assess the situation in greater depth. When he looked up, however, his fears were dismissed, for it was just a young (and probably over-curious) colt.

The colt's next question took him by surprise, and he realised he didn't really have an answer. 'Who am I...' he mused out loud, 'yes, who *am* I?' His thoughts floated around in his head for a few moments before finally slotting together. 'I'm terribly sorry for my rudeness, Akos, but I am horrendously out of practice! I am Jacque.' After a small pause, he decided to initiate a conversation, as it seemed unlikely that Akos would. 'What brings you out here alone, young Akos, without your mother?' Some time during this remark, he turned his head to the side, revealing his empty eye socket to the colt. He quickly snapped his head back to its original position, but he suspected that the damage had already been done.

I had known that children were rambunctious little things, but I did not truly know the extent of just how much trouble they could be. Especially Akos. He was already proving to be quite the handful. An adventurous scamp, I wondered where he could have gotten it from? I had been idling for a moment or two, regaining lost breath. He was running me ragged the little blue roan, and the cool shade of the conifer trees were beckoning me. Just for a moment, I thought. but alas, one closed eye and he was off, yet again!

I searched the coves around the Falls, to no avail. I searched the treelike, through the copse of trees and along the trails just inside of the forests. No luck. I was starting to worry. Only a few days old and he was already losing himself in the safety of the Falls. My heavy frame powered through the grounds, feathered hooves sashaying as I trotted through, calling here, wicking there. Finally, I see him, his dark body propelling through the water. I shook my head, strawberry mane curling around my face in the spring breeze. I called for him then. 'Akos!' I tripped over a few stray rocks by the side of the pools, thankfully regaining my balance. I snorted, a mess of sweaty red skin and knotted tresses, as I bundled on over, only to see what my son had found.

A stranger.

A coil of nerves pinged beneath my roan skin and my neck went taut, I called once more, and this time, hurried myself over. A new mother, I did not realise just how much worry had aged me so quickly. I circled and extended my neck, nudging the colt from the watery depths. Shaking my head. 'I've been looking everywhere for you, Akos.' I did not scold, but my green eyes softened, finding his small body and wrapping my head around his. I shook my crown before turning to the stranger, just about catching his words with my tufty red earlobes. Snapping my red plume against my hocks, the bothersome spring flies. I turned my attention to the strange steed, watchful in my gaze, and standing in quite a protective way over my son. Whether he meant threat or not, it was somewhat instinctive.

'Jacque, is it? This pleasant spring day welcomes you to the Falls.' I say, my tone soft, lilting. There is a worrisome tint, tiredness marring my red face, as I lift my salmon nose to greet him. My emerald gaze never leaving him, or Akos. 'I do hope my son was not bothering you. He is quite the adventurer of sorts, aren't you?' I turn my muzzle against the blue colt and ruffle his tufty mane with my lips. Gently caressing his poll, before turning my vast crown back to the stranger.  'What is it you seek, Jacque?' I ask, having well been in his situation before. The winter cold numbing my bones, the security and warmth of the falls, quite the welcoming beacon indeed. I then found myself staring at the stranger's earthy face. Oh, Oh! I shook my head, dipping my nose in a thousand apologies, turning my gaze back to idle by my son. Oh, how rude of me. I shook my head, rivulets of red curls falling across my face, hiding what would have been a proverbial blush. 'Oh, I'm dreadfully sorry, forgive me. I did not mean to stare.'

E L D
    - i'm a wishful thinker with the best intentions -
    acolyte of the falls

Jacque watched as the mare, which he assumed was Akos’ mother, shepherded the young colt out of the water and onto the bank, keeping him close to her side. The mare was built like a tank; with a strong back and solid legs, he mused that he wouldn’t want to get on the wrong side of her. He realised, with a shrug, that he may have already crossed that line, but he hoped not, as he didn’t want to go around making enemies, only friends and acquaintances. His one remaining eye focussed on the two of them, realising that what he had been most devoid of, in his years of solitude, was affection. He felt a pang from his chest at the memories of what could have been, all those years ago when all was right with the world, before his life was turned upside down.

He felt himself drifting away from the present, so dragged himself back so that he could address the mare, just in time to receive her welcome, and her apology on behalf of her son. He was about to speak, when she turned away, so he waited for her to address him again. When her attention returned, once more, to him, he found that she had another question, so he waited for her, before beginning his speech.

‘Yes ma’am, I am Jacque.’ He bowed his head to the ground as a gesture of respect to her and her son before continuing. ‘Oh, no need to worry about your son; he was on his best behaviour. You have a very polite young colt there, very charming.’ Again, he nodded to her, as he was used to doing after addressing someone of higher status than him. He had no idea of what to reply to her question, although he was saved by her politeness in begging her pardon for staring. ‘Ma’am, it is no problem at all, I find that many are drawn to stare and I find myself quite able to receive their stares in good heart. In fact, I was just worrying a few moments ago that I had caused endless questions about my scar to pop up in young Akos’ mind that would plague his poor mother for seasons to come, so for that, I sincerely apologise, ma’am.’

He felt his head drawn back to her previous question, although he had not yet conjured an answer, so he felt obliged to reveal the truth. ‘I come to this land seeking a residence, where I can rest legs weary from travelling and restock my dwindling supply of wild herbs, and where I can stay for an undetermined period. In return, I can offer my services as a herbalist to you and your herd.’ Jacque dipped his head, and then realised he had not been introduced to the mare, only her inquisitive son. ‘Pray, by what name may I address you, ma’am?’ He asked, noticing for the first time her piercing green eyes to contrast her son’s mismatching brown and blue.

'Did he lose his eye on an adventure, mother?' The young blue colt asks me, and my ears twiddle atop my skull, leaning back into mounds of strawberry mane. I shake my head abruptly and gently nudge Akos. 'I'm sure Jacque has stories to tell, Akos, but not right now dear.' I was gentle in my voice, albeit slightly embarrassed, not only for my own wayward stare but for my son's curious banter. He stepped forward out of my grasp and over towards the stranger, dripping with the falls water, his blue roan pelt glimmering black beneath the sun. 'I'd like to hear those stories. Maybe.' Akos turned back to me and with pleasing mismatched eyes, I relented a little, stepping forward and nudging the colt's hindquarters. 'Maybe one day, Akos, maybe one day.'

I turned my attention fully back to the bay steed, watchful of his observations, listening intently to his words. 'It is a pleasure Jacque. You have stumbled upon The Falls, and i'd like to say have been blessed by seeing the magical waters with your own eyes.' my head lowers, muzzle tilting and gesturing to the glimmering waters in the pool, the rushing rapids from the waterfall a quaint serenade in the backdrop. My tufty strawberry ears turn, and I shake my head, stamping a hoof in mock disdain. 'I am dreadfully sorry Jacque, I was so wrapped up in finding Akos, my manners have slipped. I am Eld. And I am pleased to make your acquaintance. Have you travelled far?' I listened again, intent, lifting my muzzle and smiling ever so slightly, the weariness in my face quite evident. Children were not meant to sit still after all, and once more Akos was idling but the waters, lifting a hoof and striking out at the pool, causing a stir of droplets to splash.

'The Falls will open their doors to any, if they need. They allowed me sanctuary some time ago, and I'd like to say that it has become my home.' I turn my gaze back to my blue son, who trots back over to us and turns his head to Jacque, questions on his tongue, but his lips remain pursed. 'Our home. And regards to your skills, perhaps a talk with Shatter Me will help. She is our Queen and our Healer. Numbers here are quite sparse though, and I suppose another set of hooves never goes amiss.' Akos then jumps in,w it wide, curious eyes and a gleaming smile. 'Herbs? What do your herbs do? Are they special? Like the mushrooms that grow in the forests, the wild foxglove in the grove?'

E L D
    - i'm a wishful thinker with the best intentions -
    acolyte of the falls