• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

[private]  i am well aware of the shadows in my heart; rapture

all i want is to flip a switch
    before something breaks that cannot be fixed

His chest is a knot of every incredulous thought as his attention strays from Rapture to the little boy struggling to his feet beside her. It seems entirely impossible that something this perfect could be any part of him, something so small and so fragile. Had he ever been like that? Had Ilka and Shahrizai looked down at him like they would take on the entire world to keep him safe, to protect him from all the inevitabilities that eventually found him anyway? He thinks they must have, if even someone like him can feel this way.

He steps closer to brush his lips of frost over the child, so careful not to knock him sideways now that he seems to finally have his legs somewhat steady beneath him. The sensation makes the boy turn to face him, and he feels a pang of worry when those sightless blue eyes float right past him. Illum inches closer, inhaling sharply against a foreign feeling of fear that wells inside him, threatening to overtake him for just a second. The blue is hardly a blue at all, so pale that it seems almost clear, almost crystalline.

His gaze jerks to Rapture, his dark gold eyes full of question and an uncertainty that few others will have ever seen on his face. “Is he-?” He doesn’t finish the question though because the boy makes a sound that at once holds Illum on a tether, pulling him forward until he has him cradled safely against the strange dichotomy of warmth and frost of his chest. His wings fall to enclose him in a cocoon of black and mottled white, his mouth wandering down the crest of his neck and over his shoulders, pausing with a mixture of pride and arrogance over those delicate gossamer wings.

“He looks like me.” It is neither question nor statement as he lifts his gaze to Rapture again, clearly pleased by this realization. “He is very handsome.” Arrogance, but it comes with a smile so uncharacteristic for the way it alights even in his eyes, unguarded in this moment they share. “Have you picked a name for him?”

Illum

@[Rapture]

Messages In This Thread
    RE: i am well aware of the shadows in my heart; rapture - by Illum - 09-14-2020, 06:17 PM