• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

what is life without change

Today is one of those icky where summer is too weak to make itself fully known. Greening stalks of trees pose against a shady gray backdrop. A breeze pushes clouds across the sky and chills the field’s reluctant inhabitants. New growth has sprouted, and the heat wars with the cold of the impending storm. Although it isn’t raining yet, everything is coated with wet sheen
    Is it needless to say I wish the sun would just come out already?

I shiver against the wind. I’m too wet and miserable to be picky about what exactly is bugging me, but if I’m asked, I’m sure I can come up with a substantial list. Does anybody actually like rainy days? Give me the heat and burn of full summer any day. Even dry winter days are preferable to the yucky feeling of plops of wet rain on my back. It’s like Mother Nature decided to sneeze on her creation.

Despite the weather, I glance around with some interest. It’s rude to stare but I can’t help scanning the scenery and my companions in homelessness alike. There aren’t many. I don’t know much about the field but I’ve heard that it’s a place to find a new home. I suppose the very act of coming here makes me appear desperate but I’d be the first to admit it’s true anyway. I’ve been alone for too long. Will I admit aloud that I need someone? Not on your life.

My story isn’t special or even that interesting. I had a normal childhood, but I left home early with my best friend, hoping for adventure. I was naïve, and very young. As the years passed I realized that although I enjoyed traveling I had no place to call my home. My best friend drifted and my family had since passed away or moved on. The hills of my childhood were rife with the ghosts of my past. I couldn’t go back without the pain in my chest rising.
    I can only go forward. And in this case forward has led me here.

By way of looks, I’m not bad off and I make a silent prayer to Isis that no one will approach me just looking for a piece of meat. My body has the slender curves of the Arab and the short, compact strength of the  Morgan. I was an accident child, ruining a long line of perfect Arabian blood, but my deep black coloring does my family proud. There isn't a trace of white on me anywhere.

Rain begins to drizzle. I sigh, and resign myself to an uncomfortable afternoon.

love is a temporary madness...
    Some days, she wishes her story had been far less interesting. What had made it interesting, the pain, the suffering, the fear: these are things she would not wish upon her anyone. Yes, these things had made her the woman she is today. But some days, she is not entirely certain she is pleased with who she has become. She has done things in the name of life that she is not proud of, things better left unmentioned. But she is alive, and she has attained a hard won level of happiness that she had long fought for. And for her, for now, that is enough.

The day has been overcast since early morning, the heavily laden clouds threatening rain. To this point, she has paid little attention to the weather, her mind having been thoroughly occupied with various other tasks. But now that the next task on her list is to make her way to the field in order to see what newcomers there are today, her russet eyes turn to the sky. As her preferred method of travel, it is immediate and automatic for her. She studies the pewter sky for several long minutes before launching herself into the air.

She makes the journey from home to field in a relatively short amount of time. If it does start to rain, the sky is not necessarily the best place to be. Nevertheless, she continues forward as the place she seeks comes into view. The land below her is nearly as familiar to her as the rolling hills of the Dale. With cinnamon hued eyes scanning the flat expanse, she searches for a likely candidate.

A black mare stands hunched against the impending rain as the sky makes good on its threat. Her eyes latch upon the woman, her well-honed instincts telling her that this mare is the one she seeks. With the rain starting to sprinkle down, she quickly drops from the sky. She lands before the mare, settling gently onto the earth in front of her. A warm smile curves her dark lips, a matching warmth emanating from her bright russet eyes.

“I apologize for my sudden appearance. The sky is a dangerous place to be during a storm. No doubt I should be safely at home,” she says, a small laugh escaping her lips. “But I could not leave without speaking to you. I am Elysteria, of the Dale. May I ask your name?”
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

Time has passed and I am nearly to the point of giving up on today's efforts for a home, and settling into a copse of trees. I feel girlish admitting it, but I don't like being wet, and I'd rather chance the falling of a stricken tree than the rain. My mother was forever scolding me for not being tougher when it came to storms. She wasn't afraid of anything or anyone.

Me? I'm just very good at pretending, most of the time, that I am not afraid either.

The mare who arrives almost like a flash of lightning herself manages to startle me, however. It takes a full breath's pause for my scrambled brain to understand that she flew through the air, and has just landed in front of me. Where I come from, horses do not fly. At least, not without wings. And even then, I have never seen it for myself. I've only heard stories, but a fierce longing to try it for myself someday washes through me. My eyes must widen considerably as I meet the brown eyed gaze of Elysteria. I feel a flash of embarrassment for my lack of knowledge and hope that I don't seem too much of an idiot.

She speaks, most likely graciously overlooking my country-girl-in-the-city response, and her voice is a welcome relief. I hadn't realized how desperately lonely I have been.

"Oh, um, thank you. I'm glad you did. Stop, I mean."

Charming, Iset. She probably thinks you're an idiot. As first impressions go, it's not my best.

"I am called Isetnofret, although truthfully everyone in my family had rather long names, and I prefer Iset."

love is a temporary madness...
    She could have never made a claim to being unafraid. She had spent much of her youth being terrified. A fear that had gone bone deep and lingered for many, many years. It is only recently that she had managed to shed herself of lifelong fears, to trust in herself and her own emotions. It had certainly not been an easy journey, learning to trust herself. But one thing that she had learned invariably is that not all fear is unhealthy. Sometimes, fear is the only thing that keeps you alive.

And staying alive is something she has excelled at, even in the worst, most trying of times. Excelled at so well that she had managed once to kill herself in her bid to live. Ironically enough, she had survived, with only the circular white patch on her chest to show for it. It is a constant reminder for her that life is not always what you expect.

As the mare’s eyes flash in surprise at her sudden appearance, Elysteria’s expression turns apologetic. She typically makes a point of not so blatantly using her gifts, but she had been in something of a rush when she had landed. Having spent many years wandering the lands outside Beqanna, she is well aware that her abilities are considering exceedingly strange and entirely uncommon in many of these places. She knows that few would have seen horses with talents like hers. In the interest of not frightening off newcomers, she therefore tries to avoid flagrantly displaying her talents.

Fortunately, her judgement had been sound. The mare shows no undue discomfort by her presence, and for that she is glad. As the mare continues, offering her name, Elysteria finds that she rather likes her. She silently hopes that, one day soon, they might become friends. Inclining her head slightly at Iset’s introduction, Elysteria continues the conversation easily.

“A beautiful name, regardless. As a bearer of a rather long name myself, I certainly understand your plight. It is a pleasure to meet you Iset. Friends often call me Ely for short.”

Her friendly smile makes it clear that Iset is more than welcome to do so as well. After only a brief pause, Elysteria continues.

“I hope you do not feel that I am being too forward, but I thought that I might offer you a place to stay, out of this wretched weather. I live in the Dale, and I can proudly say that we boast quite a number of good places in which to ride out a storm.”

She offers a grin of amusement, bright eyes merry despite the dismal rain.

“If you find you enjoy it there, you would be more that welcome to make it your home.”
    elysteria
    image c nadyabird.deviantart.com; html c Insane

Iset laughed, a high clear sound.
    "You are not being forward, I promise. I think I would accept an invitation from a wolf just to escape this wretched rain."

She blushed, dipping her head, "I meant nothing by that. I am sorry. Your home sounds worth investigating and I would love to get to know you better."

ooc: I'm posting in the Dale for you! ;-) Hence why this one is so short. I'll make up for it!