• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

So I have a thought...
    I've noticed there have been a lot of new people lately, which is awesome! But I've also noticed that there has been a bit of...hmm, discontent with the newbies not knowing things about the game that people who have been around longer know. Beqanna culture stuff, you know? Stuff that feels like common sense for people who have been RPing for a long time, especially if they've been RPing here for a long time, but that new players don't necessarily come here knowing, like which threads are open and which ones are private, or that we generally wait for everyone in the thread to reply before posting again, or that we don't tend to use words like "orbs" and "pistons" and all the weird RPG jargon that some games actively encourage or used to. So I was thinking, maybe those of us who have been around for a while could compile a list of...hmm, tips for newbies? A guide to Beqanna's writing scene or whatever, to cut down on the culture shock and the tension that can result from it. We could add to it as we think of things, because just like with anything you do for a long time, there are unofficial "rules" or just things we all know to do that are automatic, that we don't even think of anymore, but that when they aren't followed can cause upset or irritation, you know?
    Call uses orbs all the time D:
    [Image: ca94dsg_by_calltherp-dcioghd.gif]
    SLOW-WORDER CLUB
    Ugh, this is why I'm not allowed to talk. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone or make anyone feel bad. I was legitimately just picking random jargony words I remembered from back in the day at those "advanced" RPGs that demanded you write every sentence with a thesaurus, you know? Terra firma, auds, daggers, banner, the ever-awkward labia?
    Bahhah I do recall! I do like this idea though, I think it will be mighty helpful. As your right, using those for every other word is excessive.
    Also I for one also know very little on BQ history and culture and would love to read any of that when it all gets put together ^_^
    SLOW-WORDER CLUB
    So we do have a beginners guide here: http://www.beqanna.com/forum/guide.php

It probably needs some updating now that we've moved over to forums and all, which I haven't even thought about it. But anyway, I'm happy to edit/update this. If you guys want to write up questions and answers that you think would be helpful, I can certainly run the suggestions by the other officers and then update the page accordingly.

Also I'm like 99% sure Cassi wrote up a cool writing guide that existed on the other layout and got lost in the move. I can't find it. If someone can find that again, I'll transfer it over here. Or if someone wants to re-write it..........

Call, there's also a BQ history page here: http://www.beqanna.com/forum/history.php (it's in the process of being updated to the present, but there's a lot there to get you started).
    I made a writing guide but I was like 15 and arrogant so I no longer stand by it. If someone wants to write a new one, please do.

or maybe a google doc with tips from everyone?
    Oh yes, thank you ^_^
    SLOW-WORDER CLUB
    I think a google doc sounds like a fantastic idea. Whoever wants to participate could pitch in tips, maybe think about what makes posts engaging and fun to reply to and what turns them off of replying? Obviously sometimes it's just a matter of muse or time or life stuff, but it would be interesting to see what draws people to certain threads or characters or other writers. Even like, what it is that makes you click with a series or a book. I think it would be a fun exercise and help not only newbies but all of us learn. Or whoever wanted to join in, anyhow! Oooor maybe I'm getting a little carried away. XD But some people click well with a casual tone vs formal, angst and torment vs happy, some love the super heavy emotional stuff and some hate it. Some love small interpersonal threads and some prefer big site-wide events....idk, I think it would be fun to have a google doc we can throw things like this at. Oooh or a writing-centric quiz, that could be fun! I should get on that...
    If you all like the idea of a google doc (which sounds fun, I'm down for whatever), post it up and let me know! I can sticky it so it doesn't get lost.