• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

I don't have a choice but I'd still choose you; Contagion and Tyrna

I'm wasted, losing time; I'm a foolish, fragile spine
    I want all that is not mine; I want him but we're not right

Time is moving in slow motion, and she can’t stop it. She can’t stop the pain ripping through her—the bones in her legs feeling as if they had shattered, but the ache in her heart hurting so much worse. Her eyes are raw, pink, shiny with tears both shed and unshed. Everything she has ever wanted to say, and that which she has said but shouldn’t, stretches before her, and she knows (know) that if she makes him choose, she will lose. The truth of it stabs her in the heart, and she gasps again, struggling for breath.

She will lose the only thing that has ever been her own.

“Contagion,” she says this time, softer, her tongue breaking on it. “I should have said it sooner,” although she knows that wouldn’t have made a difference. They had both known—had always known. They were born together, twisted around a corrupt love that moved like poison through their veins. The only love they had ever known was that of the butterfly-mother and orange-eyed father. Love that had led them both to the bottom of the ocean in the name of it. Love that killed was the only thing that made sense.

Her pink eyes flash to Tyrna, and while she should feel mercy for the other soul they have ensnared in their toxic lives, she only feels hate. It is a completely foreign emotion for her. She looks back to her brother, and every cell in her body begs for her to move toward him, but she stays still, her legs crumpled beneath her. “You can’t love her,” she says quietly, the steel beneath them becoming stronger with each breath. “She will kill you. She’s dangerous.” What she doesn’t say: She is killing me. She is dangerous.

in the darkness, I will meet my creators
    and they will all agree that I'm a suffocator

Go lock up all your children

She will kill you
    She will kill you
    She will kill you
    She will kill you

The words echo in her head, twined with the keening of her heart and the howl of the wolf in her blood. Sky blue eyes stare down at the creature before her filled with rage. Tyrna can smell the desperation, the fear, wafting from Adaline and it makes for a poor combination. The wolf cackled happily in his weakening prison. "you know what to do" he whispered in her ear. There was no sign of sympathy, no show of understanding in Adaline. There was no emotions left in the girl to deign to show any sign of apology for the mess she made. All that was left were Adaline's need for Contagion and Tyrna's hurt.

Her anger was all too easy to justify. Adaline had not loved him as she had. She couldn't. Adaline had not watched Contagion ripped apart by the very thing she was. His sister had not seen her child killed in front of her while all she could do was watch. Adaline did not know the relief and joy and pain and overwhelming love that came with coming back to him. Not like Tyrna did. Still the glass girl had the audacity to throw accusations around like it was nothing. Like the cuts they caused were something Tyrna didn't think about every time she saw Contagion.

She will kill you. She's dangerous.

Her maw is filled with fangs and her vision begins to blur, red tinging the edges. Contagion has moved to stand between them, shielding his sister. The simple act between a concerned brother and injured sister does nothing to quiet the ragged hurt. Everyone said she was so strong, she didn't need the help because she could take care of herself. This time she couldn't. Tyrna felt her control slipping through the cracks of her fragile mind, and all in the name of Love.

She feels her bones twist and snap, reforming, as thick fur bursts from her skin. Her hooves are replaced with claws, her limbs reform into a more agile shape, and soon enough in her place stands the wolf. It is a proud creature, lithe, and dark, and angry. The horns stand proudly atop it's head, dark wings stand half open waiting to pounce.

The wolf waits, blue eyes glowing, as he stares down the helpless mare behind her glass shield. It smiles not unkindly at Adaline. They both know how this will end. It's voice is deep and smooth like the void as it speaks to the girl.

"Oh my dear, I don't believe you know what dangerous is."

Tyrna

And paint blood upon your door

Digital art by Brian Yap

ooc: hiya! sorry it's so late! I was wondering if Contagion and Adaline wanted to get one more post in before Tyrna goes crazy?

You can’t love her.
    Adaline’s words echo in his mind. She is right. He shouldn’t even be here, between two souls that will surely damn him. He shouldn’t be here, his heart strange and raw in his chest, feeling for all the world like a stone, like it will drop out of him and shatter at their feet.
    Can’t isn’t the right word.
    Shouldn’t.
    Shouldn’t love her, shouldn’t love either of them. Shouldn’t exist, a boy made of glass and delicacy, tempting fate by walking up waterfalls and kissing wolves.

She will kill you.
    Oh, but every moment exists on borrowed time anyway. They were born entangled and they were born dying, their translucent skin making clear to the world exactly where to cut them.
    (Though the way Adaline looks at him and the way he wants to go to her may kill him, too.)

She is dangerous.
    A prophecy fulfilled, perhaps, because his gaze goes back to Tyrna and sees her shaking, her mouth bulging and reforming. The air fills with a snap of bones breaking and his gaze whips back to Adaline, convinced she’s shattering before him, but she is whole.
    Tyrna is not.
    Tyrna is the one changing, warping, from horse to wolf – becoming everything she’d warned of from their first meeting.

The whole thing feels like prophecy, and he stands between them as if he could be a barricade, he stands between them and a thick, dark inevitability creeps over him.
    “Tyrna,” he says her name with an ache because he knows she’s in there but he also knows the wolf is hungry, “don’t.”

To Adaline, he says only “run.”
    As if wolves can be outrun.

contagion

be careful making wishes in the dark

I'm wasted, losing time; I'm a foolish, fragile spine
    I want all that is not mine; I want him but we're not right

Adaline is filled with fear—but it is not fear of Tyrna. Not for her own safety, at least. It is fear of losing him. It is fear of a life without him. He was the air in her lungs and the bones in her spine and if she were to lose him—oh, if she were to lose him, she would become nothing at all. Even Ledger, who had been but a momentary bright spot in her life, was now gone. Their parents were dead, and she did not have a single friend to her name. All she had in her life was Contagion, and she was losing him.

She was losing him, and she wasn’t sure she’d survive it.

So, yes, she is afraid. Her body trembles with the fear, her veins exploding with it. She swings her head away from him and watches Tyrna collapse onto herself; the whole scene happens in slow motion. Before she knows it, she is scrambling to her feet, blood dripping from the ragged skin on her knees. No, is all she thinks. No this can’t be happening. No I can’t lose him. No, no, no—please no.

He is trying to quell Tyrna and even though her name in his mouth is just salt on the wound, she loves him all the more for it—loves him for the quiet bravery in the glass boy standing between them. As if he could somehow stand up to the tides of fate and not shatter; as if any of them could. He tells her to run, and she chokes on her response so that nothing comes out—but it is clear her response is no. Yes, she will run but it will not be away from the wolf. It will be to Contagion. It will always be to him. Always.

“Stop,” she cries to the wolf standing before them as she throws herself toward her brother. “Please stop,” this time caught in a sob in her throat. But she does not make it. Her legs give out, and she collapses to the ground once more, this time the cracking of her leg more pronounced. It was not a break, at least not a complete one, but it was a fracture—and it was one that would immobilize her. Adaline pays no mind to the blood that begins to seep from the wound though. Her wide, pink eyes are too busy studying the lines of her brother, watching the whole scene play out before her. What have I done?

in the darkness, I will meet my creators
    and they will all agree that I'm a suffocator

Go lock up all your children

For one sickening heartbeat, she sees it all. Tyrna, not the wolf. She looks through eyes that aren't hers to the man that was, and for the one heartbeat she shines through. The wolf's eyes tear up as her sorrow overpowers it and then she's gone. Lost in the chaos.

She will remember everything later, the wolf will make sure of it, but in the meantime he has work to do.

The wolf laughs as Adaline falls. He laughs at Contagion's meek and predictable words. He laughs at the glass boys futile bravery. He laughs at the slaughter soon to ensue.

"Oh aren't you a precious pair. The brave glass boy and his broken sister, or should I say lover?" The wolf smirks at the pair, "It doesn't matter either way. I was just going to kill you both, but now I have a better idea." He winks at Adaline before turning his burning gaze on Contagion. "Say goodbye to your lovers, boy."

Time seems to stand still before the screaming starts.

Without missing a beat the wolf takes to the air. Powerful wings carry him upwards before he turns and dives onto Contagion's back, claws outstretched and a manic grin flashing fangs. The weight of the wolf easily snaps the glass stallions fragile legs and spine like twigs. Screams ring through the small clearing accompanied by the sound of shattering glass as the wolf takes his time in murdering the poor young boy. Fangs glint dully in the weak sunlight while the wolf finds his mark. He tears the paper wings from Contagion's back and cackles as claws rip gossamer skin. Blood pours freely into ground from gaping wounds, and spurts from opened arteries. He bathes in warm blood while ravaging intestines and soft organs. The ragged, pained breaths from Contagion trickle to small whimpers and agonal gasps while the wolf continues his work. Delicate ribs crack as the wolf finds Contagion's heart, still beating faintly in it's glass cage. Lungs separate and the gasps turn into a choking sound as the wolf noses around in the chest cavity clearing space. With a gentleness belying his earlier savagery, the wolf grasps the heart in it's mouth and pulls it free. The wolf leaves Contagion's face intact throughout his grisly process so that Adaline can see the light drain slowly from her love's eyes. He is even kind enough to make sure they can see each other.

The wolf turns and walks towards Adaline with exaggerated slowness and a blood crazed look in his eyes. He stops before before her and lets the heart drop to the ground with a soft "plop". He smiles at her, blood dripping between his fangs. "A gift. For you my dear. I hope that the price was worth it for you to finally have your brother's heart." The wolf laughs before taking several steps back and collapsing to the ground. Fur begins to recede and limbs snap as they reform.

He can't wait until Tyrna sees the mess she has made.

Tyrna

And paint blood upon your door

Digital art by Brian Yap

sooo... idk if you want to do an aftermath post? but I will probably have one up soon

There are things that are inevitable in this world.
    Maybe he’d known, in some macabre way, when he first looked upon the woman. She hadn’t been a wolf, then, simply a warrior, all strength and steel and everything he was not. Maybe he’d looked in her eyes and see someone, a feral glint, and his body – his stupid, delicate body – had seen in it an undoing.
    She’d turned canine, grown horns, become a queen. He’d stayed fragile, stayed transparent, and found someone he thought forever lost.
    He should never have existed, not when he was bred from a woman dead and man who should have been dead long ago. He should never have existed with bones like glass, impossibly stacked to make a creature; paper wings that would be torn to shreds.

(He tried to fly, once.)

Things move too slow and too fast all at once, the world is a blur save for them.
    He sees Adaline, falling, the crack of her bones a sound he’s heard in a dozen nightmares, now real.
    And a wolf, no longer Tyrna, no longer a queen, but a feral creature made of bloodlust and uglier things.
    It tells them to say goodbye but his goodbye is said in a snapping spine, legs crumbling.
    For a moment, it doesn’t even hurt.
    For a moment he just thinks this will be enough, and hopes to god Adaline will be left alone as the wolf takes its meal.
    Blood is almost beautiful, in the moonlight, and in his throes he thinks I see why they liked it.

(He wanted to be a king, once.)

The vivisection takes too long and not long enough. He doesn’t say goodbye, by the time he realizes he should – realizes this is it, this is it, I’m dying - he tries to move his lips but only blood comes out, a trickle.
    He tries to look at her, but his eyes no longer obey him.
    He dies looking at the sky, at the stars, fulfills the ghastly prophecy written on his bones when he came into existence.
    There are things that are inevitable in this world.

contagion

be careful making wishes in the dark