• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

and some by virtue fall; Gallows

Kushiel didn’t even pretended to be offended at being called useless. He didn’t find it offensive in the least, especially coming from his mother. In fact, Kushiel worked very, very hard to give off the appearance of apathy and idleness. The second someone so much as thought you may be good for something they suddenly started asking you to do that something. Better to avoid the mess entirely.

Ah, Kushiel really would make a fantastic prince.

But it is a dream he is willing to set aside for now. Like many of his dreams, they are appealing, but all together require a great deal more concentration that Kushiel had.

While he has never entirely accepted the fact that his mother could read his every thought, he had grown accustomed to it. He sent a single, fleetingly stern glance in her direction, just to alert her that he had noticed it and still didn’t approve. He didn’t put up any further protest, however, for there was really no point and he knew that well enough.

“If I didn’t know you so well I’d say you may live to regret those words. I might take you up on them.” That was very unlikely. Kushiel liked to cause trouble, but setting a monarch on fire had more backlash than he was willing to take on at this stage in his life. He had, however, heard there were other fire setters lurking around these parts. Perhaps, he could set Demian on fire if he was careful enough to frame someone else for it. Still, it sounded like a lot of work. He looked at his mother critically for a second.

“Though I have no doubt you have your ways of dealing with unsatisfactory monarchs.” Now that he thought about it he did remember hearing about the time Gallows ruined a diplomatic meeting of her own by kidnapping someone. Perhaps that ran in the family as well. Of course, she had kidnapped a king, and Kushiel had only kidnapped a captain. He still had a lot to learn. At her next comment Kushiel grinned.

“Thank you mother, I do agree. I’m hoping she’ll come to see me as a blessing. I’ve heard that’s very important to queenship, learning to question yourself. Keeping me around will surely cause anyone to question themselves.

Kushiel cast a glance around. Thinking to compare his new home to his old home. The Valley did seem to have a fair amount of activity. Perhaps, they were plotting something. He knew enough about how things worked to think that plotting was very likely.

“So aside from boring old Demian, are things to your liking? Are your many talents being utilized to their fullest?” He wasn’t expecting a rundown of kingdom secrets, but he did wonder what was in the works. Their kingdoms were allies after all, and he was curious enough to try and stick his nose where it didn’t belong.  

I shake my head, the tendrils of my dark hair tangling around my ears as I sighdramatically.

"Not at all, darling. I suppose I ought to extend myself a bit more but I'm being of the 'wait and see' variety for the moment."

The truth is a little more complex. (Isn't it always though?) I want to be of use to the Valley, but I'd rather not work terribly hard until I know that Demian and his new regime are worth the effort. It's not that toiling is beyond or below me. I just like to be, oh what's the word Kushiel so cunningly employed? Ah yes, strategic. I like to be strategic about my involvement.

How's that for convincingly apathetic?

"I'm contemplating meeting with our current ruler and discussing our… lack of initiative, shall we say? I have a feeling the Chamber won't be silent forever, will it, Kush?" I cast him a sharp look that transforms into an easy grin. "So it might be in our best interest to gird up for the inevitable.

And what is the inevitable, you ask? Oh mischief and mayhem in many varieties. No matter what the fairy of Beqanna has said, the Chamber and the Valley won't easily let go of their roots. There is a satisfying freedom in being able to indulge your every desire, chase each whim, and prove your power over others. Something that kingdoms like the Gates and the Deserts have never understood.

Although frankly, I have a tad more respect for them than the lands formerly nuetral. Nuetral. As if one could be such a thing. Ridiculous.

Actually, dear, I have half a mind to meet with your Straia and see what's there. I suppose even those who don't live in the Valley have their uses.

I hadn't really thought much about venturing to the Chamber before Kushiel chose to make it his home, but I suppose I ought to. Shouldn't a mother know what her son gets up to when she isn't around?

After all, it would be so unfair of the Chamber to have all the fun, you know. Why, you could even show me around, little man. What do you think?

He really doesn't have a choice, but it will be terribly amusing to see him try.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Kushiel nodded, he had expected as much, or at least something similar. His mother wasn’t one to rush into things, and Demian’s rule was still new. There would be time still, to see if he would sink or swim, and Kushiel knew his mother could be the foot pushing down on his head as easily as she could be water wings. They would just have to wait and see. It was times like his he wished he had a couple of Straia’s ravens, or that he could read minds like his mother did. 

Kushiel sighed, he would just have to content himself with flames. In many ways his abilities were a lot like he was. Sparkling, flamboyant, a little dangerous but mostly for show. Granted, it could be more dangerous, but the trail leading back to him would be a mile wide. How unfair, that the women folk could deploy their talents covertly. However, she continued and he grinned, brooding thoughts effectively swept away by hubris.

“My chambermates are not easy to silence. You might as well join the winning team before the game begins. How does the saying go? If you’re not with us you’re against us?” As of now, the Chamber and the Valley were allies. Kushiel didn’t see why that should change now that Demian was in charge. Perhaps he was biased, since he effectively had a foot in both kingdoms, but he thought they would both be stronger together.

He was still grinning when Gallows spoke again, but she barely had time to finish her statement before Kushiel’s grin turned to a scowl. He did not like the idea of his mother and Straia being in the same place. He preferred to keep the two women who effectively ruled his life, far, far away from each other. The idea of them meeting, then ganging up on up, was a fantasy that made his blood run cold. Granted, they would have more important things to talk about then him, but none the less, Kushiel could not shake the idea. Desperately, he tried to throw her off track.

“Surely not, Mother. How could you leave the Valley? I’m sure there is nothing that would interest you in the Chamber. Dreadfully boring, the lot of it.” Even as he babbled the words he knew it was totally useless. Once she had made up her mind Kushiel certainly couldn’t turn her off course, and she would probably just delight in his discomfort. He groaned loudly.

“Please don’t tell them about all the tails I burned as a foal. I told them I wouldn’t burn the place down. It was all bullshit of course, I very well may, but I don’t want them to know that.” Kushiel sighed. This would certainly go badly for him.

(( OOC: I'm going to join the thread in the Chamber XD ))