• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

pick apart the pieces you left [Lyris]

tantalize

infinity overhead

and i whisper, are you listening?

The jungle had yet to settle from the upheaval of Scorch’s downfall. With everything that had happened, she had yet to fully practice with the kingdom granted wings Lagertha had granted her with. Even though the meeting had been hectic and confusing, she does recall the spotted mare that could also fly. She only hopes that Lyris hasn’t gifted her wings to someone else before she could request her help. The jungle is louder than usual with recent happenings, it’s stirred all the animals and insects into action. The buzzing has reached a crescendo which is starting to grate on her nerves. A trip to the Meadow would be in order soon. But first, business.

It doesn’t take long to find her in one of the few clearings, her golden eyes meeting her orange ones. ”Lyris.” Her greeting is a little louder than usual, having to raise her voice against the constant noise. Russet jaguar spotted wings unfurl slightly as she approaches the other, a half smile on her lips. ”I heard you can teach a girl how to fly.” She just hopes she hasn’t found the other too late or she might have to find a flying instructor elsewhere. What good would she be to help lead an Air Force if she couldn’t use these things after all?

Sorry it's crap, just wanted to get something up =)
    She’d woken later than usual this morning, having spent the late evening exploring some of her old childhood haunts in the Jungle. It had been a strange, nostalgic experience. She hadn’t visited some of those hideaways in years. Not since, well, not since her mother died.

Once awake however, she’d marched straight off to one of the Jungle’s more popular clearings. She’s making an effort these days to be a more present member of the Jungle. Though she’s always done her duty outside of the kingdom, in the past she’d kept mostly to herself while within the Jungle’s borders. And that will not so. Not if she wants to rise in the ranks. She needs to get to know her sisters better.

And today, being in the clearing pays off. She’s quickly approached by a mare she recognizes from the recent journey to the Falls. The mare (her name starts with a T?) had been the one to take Scorch’s kid under her literal wing, for which Lyris had been grateful. She hadn’t been particularly keen to deal with the bawling child.

Now though the child is nowhere to be seen. A rather more practical task is at hand. The jaguar spotted mare unfurls her wings, and asks for help in learning how to fly. Lyris can’t help but grin. Her mother would be flabbergasted to think of people coming to Lyris for teaching. “I’ll do my best.” She eyes the mare, trying to wrack her brain for whatever the mare’s blasted name is. T, t, t … Taunt? Taint? Definitely not. She’s just going to have to fudge it for now. “First things first though, show me what you’ve got. I gotta know what I’m working with.”
    Lyris
    I’ll burn this whole city down
    html by maat | gif by headlikeanorange.tumblr.com

tantalize

infinity overhead

and i whisper, are you listening?

Oh if only she was a mindreader and could hear the struggle Lyris was having remembering her name. If only she could hear that Lyris thought her name was Taint. But she doesn’t so she says nothing. The jaguar mare still doesn’t always remember that not everyone knows who she is. Not like they did when she once ruled the jungle. Lyris seems game enough though with her request. She asks her to show her what she can do. With a somewhat sheepish grin, she spreads out her feathery wings in all their glory and gives some awkward flaps that aren’t the most graceful thing she’s ever done. ”As you can see, I need some work.” She’s gotten use to opening and closing them and she’s tried to practice lifting off the ground in the safety of a clearing, at least just hovering off the ground but nothing happens. She figures she’s not flapping her wings right and so she sought out the professional. ”I can’t seem to quite figure them out and although I can fight just fine on the ground… It’s probably pointless for me to have these if I can’t fight in the air.” Golden eyes look to Lyris as she ruffles the feathers of her wings. ”Think you can help me then?”
    At least they’re not doing anything at the moment that actually requires her to know the mare’s name. There are no other sisters around, no meetings to be called, no one she needs introducing to, just simple flying lessons. She doesn’t need to know … T-something’s name for that … right?

She watches in interest as ‘T’ spreads out her wings and flaps, to little effect. She almost sniggers, but she holds it in. She knows what it’s like to be in ‘T's’ hooves - wings don’t come naturally to horses, especially when they aren’t born with them. Her first attempts at flying with wings hadn’t been pretty. Still aren’t pretty. She’s far better with using the winds. “Well, you’re off to a start, that’s somethin’. But what you’re missing is a running start. Or, at least that’s what I use to get going.”

She turns and backs up then, until her butt is rubbing against the foliage at the edge of the clearing. It’s not an overly large clearing. This is going to be a close one.

She shoots a quick grin at ‘T’ before starting. “Now, full warning - my flying ain’t pretty.” Then she starts to move, building up to a canter, then finally a gallop in mere seconds. Her wings flap, pushing against the air. Metres from the other side of the clearing, she leaps into the air, taking flight and nearly missing a kapok tree. Oops.

She flies around the clearing a few times, alternating between flapping and soaring. Then, finally, she comes to a running landing, ending up in front of ‘T.’ “It’s important to remember to run and flap. Really use your shoulder muscles to push down against the air. Oh, and a little jump to take off seems to help me.” She stretches out her wings, then tucks them back into her sides - the muscles are already feeling a little sore. It’d be great if she could get rid of the damn things yesterday.

She eyes the clearing around them, considering. “Might work if we start somewhere you have more space to run about.” Her eyes return to ‘T's’ face. “Any preferences on where?” Bloody hell she wishes she could remember the name. Titillate? No, NO, that’s not it. Torture? No, that’s definitely not it either. She huffs quietly. What the hell is wrong with her memory today?
    Lyris
    I’ll burn this whole city down
    html by maat | gif by headlikeanorange.tumblr.com