• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

this is nothing like waking up in Vegas; any

some are lost in the fire

some are built from it

Glorious, it had been glorious. The burning garden, the withering tree, the queen being led away by his countrymen. It had been so successful, and then –

Well, and then he remembers nothing.

He wakes with a start, his warrior's instincts kicking in instantly. This is a strange place, definitely not home, but the heat that wraps around him like a blanket is not unwelcome. But this is wrong, it should be colder – it had been fall, the cusp of winter, when they'd attacked.

He pushes himself to his feet, senses on high alert for any clue, any indication of where he might be. It is only a moment more before he finally places it: he's been here before, years ago, with his mother. This is the Amazon jungle. They're not on unfriendly terms with the Amazons (he thinks, once again ashamed that he knows so little right now) and so he has no reason to fear for his safety per se, but he doesn't expect they'd take kindly to a stranger quite literally appearing in their midst.

Or at least, that's what he assumes has happened. All he remembers is that he was at the Gates, and then he was waking up here. There is nothing in between, the kind of blackness that he hadn't known since the time he'd been in that strange girl's room. Looking around, he can see that the soft jungle floor is depressed only in the immediate area where he had recently been splayed on the ground. There are no hoofprints, nothing to indicate that he (or anyone else) had walked here, to the heart of the jungle. Around him, there is nothing but silence.

Taking stock, he finds himself unharmed. Nothing hurts, nothing is broken, nothing is even singed. Whatever had picked him up and deposited him here had done so with no apparent desire to harm him, just to remove him from the fight. Crafty and clever. They'd been outmaneuvered, no doubt about it. There had been a power beyond theirs, something that they hadn't counted on, and that something had made itself manifest. With a brief flash of concern he thinks about the others, hoping that they were finishing the work that Straia had asked of them. He doesn't worry for their safety – he trusts each of them to keep themselves safe no matter what happens – but he does worry for the ultimate success of the mission.

He is half tempted to fly away before they even know he's here. He could – he could lift himself up on currents of warm air, to float away like an incredibly strange bird. But he knows better than to think he is entirely invisible here in the jungle. If this were the Chamber, someone would know he was here – no matter how far off the beaten path he had landed. And if he's here, and then he flees, and they know, then that's a diplomatic incident in the making.

And so instead, he stays exactly where he is. Exactly where he is, so as not to pollute the site, so as to have definitive proof that whatever had happened, he had not trespassed on their land under his own power.

Someone will find him eventually, right?

…right?

erebor

heat manipulating lord of the chamber

warship x straia

There's a song in your lung and a dream in your eye.

The morning starts out as any other in the Jungle. It is never truly quiet within the thick foliage of her home, but that time just before dawn is always the most peaceful. And then the sun rises, slim rays breaking through the dense overgrowth and waking up a cacophony of noise. She rather enjoys that time, always waking early so that she might bask in the peace of the new day. But inevitably the jungle comes roaring back to live and Joscelin must continue with her day.

She is exploring again today. There seems to be endless amounts of the Jungle to explore. It is a vast space with far more nooks and crannies than she could ever hope to uncover in a single lifetime. But it passes the time and helps her to learn as much as she can of her home. Additionally, it serves a purpose in allowing her to patrol the twisted interior. A horse could easily hide out in the interior and not be found for years.

Fortunately it would not require years to find him. He had fallen just off of a regularly traveled path, which is how she discovers him so easily. He appears to be sleeping, which she finds odd. Of course, it is also exceedingly odd to find a fully grown stallion who she does not know in the midst of their home. A home filled nearly entirely with women.

As her golden eyes study his prone form, he begins to wake. He appears disoriented at first, not entirely aware of his surroundings. But as he comes to and pulls himself to his feet, he seems to collect his bearings relatively easily. She doesn’t step forward immediately, but rather studies him for a moment longer, a faint hint of curiosity in her metallic gaze.

When she finally does step forward, her cracked skin begins flashing haphazardly. The dark fissures had been quiet, but they brighten and spark in response to her whim. She tips her head slightly as she gazes at the dark stallion with the colorful mane, her expression carefully neutral. Her words, when they come, are softly unambiguous.

You’re trespassing.

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

html c insane | picture c mikanicole.deviantart.com

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

Killdare was perusing the skies, clutching at the currents above the canopy of trees with his dragon wings. He had grown fond of them as of late. They had taken some getting used to but he found he had an abundance of free time. He liked it up here, it was a convenient escape. He was not so fond of the Jungle right now, he had the misfortune to be present during breeding season. It was pure madness down there. He never thought he might die from a smell, but if he did, that would be the one. It was like a domino effect, first one, then another, and another. It went on like that until the whole place had exploded with the smell of estrus, he hated himself right about then.

He starts to descend, in need to relieve himself, and does so most reluctantly. Gliding down to a stop to plant his hooves firmly on the Jungle floor, he shakes his body, and begins to trot off. After an impressive amount of time he is finished, turning back the way he came, but he stops, smells. He lifts his head, tilting it until his nose is in the air, and takes a good long whiff. When he lowers his cranium again the biggest smile is plastered on his face, he knows that smell. He rushes forward, a full out run, his nose knows the way. Even if he does not. He sees him then, the Chamber Lord, and he begins to speak as he makes straight for him. “Erebor! Damn it man, what are these plebs playing at?” He almost doesn’t finish, slowing his gait as he closes in. The last part there trails off a bit as one of the natives comes into view, she is there bold as brass telling Erebor he is trespassing. ”Oh, it's you.” He grumps, an annoyance in his deep baritone.

He takes in the state of things. Looking over Erebor, the foliage beneath him, ”Did you fly? Or more importantly, did you fall?” He looks over the crushed pieces of greenery, had he.. “Don’t tell me you slept here.” Lowering his voice, wondering what the hell was going on.

He spreads his wings as he steps forward past the girl, making a partition of sorts between them and her. How he wished he had not been in such a hurry to piss, perhaps relieving himself there on the spot would have kept her at bay.  

KILLDARE
    Dragon-Winged Tracker Colonel of the Chamber

some are built from it

Yes, someone will find him. And thankfully it doesn't even take too long. And thank the powers that be, it's a friendly face he sees first. His normally stoic disposition softens as he notes the heat signature, smells Killdare, and finally sees his kinsman come into view. He almost smiles – barely noticeable to a stranger, but to Killdare, who knows him? He'll know that Erebor is just as relieved to see Killdare as Killdare is to see Erebor.

But that only lasts for a moment, and just as Erebor is about to respond to Killdare, a mare steps forward and addresses him. He offers her a nod of respect. It bothers him not at all that she seems to have cracks in her skin, and fireworks underneath that. He's seen worse, so much infinitely worse. He's about to respond to her when Killdare beats him to the punch, and the boy is not sure what to make of the dismissal. But if Killdare knows this woman, perhaps it will make his own explanation easier, and that at least is something.

Once again he's about to explain everything, but again he's interrupted. He waits calmly as Killdare puzzles over the situation, sharply aware of just how little he knows about it himself. Killdare finishes, and Erebor doesn't miss the way that the other stallion steps forward as though trying to section them off.

With a quick, knowing glance to Killdare, Erebor turns his attention to the mare. As far as he's aware they have no quarrel with the Amazons, and he intends to keep it that way. He is nothing if not diplomatic. "I'm sorry," he addresses her calmly, his voice deep, rich, and smooth. "It was not intentional, or even voluntary. I was brought here by an unknown force." With a gesture of his head, he indicates the area around him. "I was many miles outside the Jungle's border, and then I was waking up here. I remember nothing in between, and do not know what moved me, but it wasn't my own power." he gestures again to the ground immediately around him. "No hoofprints." He watches her, wondering what she's making of all this. "I do not know what brought me here, or why. But it appears to have left me unconscious but unharmed-" a quick pause "and trespassing in the most unintentional way possible."

He glances back to Killdare. "No flying, no falling, no sleeping." the last is said with just a hint of humor, but he doesn't doubt the other stallion will see that he's concerned with how few answers he really has. But no matter what he won't forget diplomacy and manners, and he turns back to the mare once more. "I'm Erebor, from the Chamber." He doesn't give his title or any further information. Best not to tempt fate.

erebor

warship x straia

Naturally, Killdare would crash their party. He had promised to stick like a burr under her saddlecloth, and apparently he intends to keep that promise. Although, in this case, finding her there seems to have simply been a boon (or an irritation, whatever). But this is the Amazon. What does he expect, that the sisters wouldn’t be aware of a stranger that had appeared out of nowhere, straight into the heart of their land?

As Killdare greets him, a faint smirk edges onto her lips. So, another Chamberling had fallen into their clutches. How fortuitous. Granted, it isn’t the particular Chamberling she wants to sink her teeth into (and not in a good way), but he will do well enough. Had she known just what rank the black stallion held within the Chamber, she would have been all the more delighted.

In the end however, it is not her place to decide who stays and who goes. That would be her Khaleesi. While she might prefer to keep him here for a little while, she isn’t entirely certain Lagertha would like that. Lucky for them, she isn’t in charge around here. Also lucky for them, she has no idea what has just occurred in the Gates. She doesn’t care much for bullies.

The stallion is polite enough to introduce himself. He remains surprisingly calm, given the situation. Joscelin briefly considers leaving him in the dark as to her identity. Unfortunately Killdare already knows who she is, so that wouldn’t last long. She has little doubt Killdare wouldn’t hesitate to give up every scrap of information he has regarding the Jungle, including her name.

I’m Joscelin.

For the most part, she ignores Killdare. He’s a prisoner after all, not a guest she’s required to entertain. Her piercing golden gaze remains fixed upon the trespasser as she debates the best course of action. At this point, the only thing she knows with a certainty is that she can’t let him leave until she has had a chance to discuss the situation with Lagertha.

Well, it’s your lucky day. You get to meet the Khaleesi.

She steps back, indicating that he should follow (and Killdare too, she supposes). She quite hopes he’s willing to come with her voluntarily. She would simply hate to have to force the issue.

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria

@[Lagertha], just so you know, Joscelin is bringing them to you.

I am iron and I forge myself

One of the last things Lagertha expects to be brought to her attention is the presence of an additional Chamberling stallion deep in the depths of the Jungle. At first, she thinks that Joscelin has done it again, and now holds two of the Chamber’s men as captives, via either successful steal or challenge… but then why would they be coming from the interior of the kingdom, instead of the exterior? That just doesn’t make sense. Lagertha frowns slightly, as she moves to meet the trio. Something is not right.

An acrid, stinging smell lingers above the wet and wild scent of the Jungle, and it takes a moment before Lagertha can identify what it is. Smoke. It is the kind of odor that attaches itself to one’s coat and come sweating out of pores. Her frown intensifies. Because they are in the one place in the kingdom where it was possible to see the sky, she glances upwards and sees nothing to indicate that the Jungle is burning. Her ears swivel back and forth, listening for the screams of the local fauna, and still, there is nothing out of the ordinary. So whatever was burning recently is not here… which makes this even more puzzling. Briefly, she wonders where Sette is, and hopes she hasn’t wandered off somewhere. Whatever is going on… Lagertha doesn’t like it.

When they meet in the middle, the gray Khaleesi looks the two stallions over, but reserves her words for Joscelin. Killdare, she knows. Erebor, she’d try to steal not too long ago from the Chamber. She knows of him, and what he looks like, but has never met  the Lord personally. It would be best to handle this as… diplomatically (re: rationally and cool-headed) as possible. Despite the fact that she wonders if their positions were reversed, if they would do the same. “Joscelin. Care to explain what’s going on?” She tries to ask in a less-than-demanding manner, skipping the obvious questions and going to straight to ‘I know something isn’t right.’ And she would rather have her sister’s version of the events first.

Unless someone’s planted a Chamberling garden somewhere beyond the river, there’s no reason for them to keep popping up. Or they are voluntarily forsaking their Kingdom to be manservants. A spy that has been caught is more likely. Hmmm… She silently asks Prague to join them, just in case. Not for protection. But for truth and honesty.

Lagertha

warrior queen of the amazons

@[andrea] if you have the time Smile

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

Sigh, he had done his best. Well, he supposes he hadn’t really tried his best. He had gone about his warning of caution in a roundabout way. Alas, Erebor was spilling all their beans. In his own mind the thoughts screamed, ‘say nothing! Tell them nothing’. How had it come to pass that he, Killdare, was picking them up? So when he finds he can’t be discreet, he settles for direct, falling in line next to his Lord. “Oh yes, their Khaleesi Lagertha. Delightful woman, a real hard-ass, I’m sure you’re going to love her.”

It doesn’t take long for the Queen to find them, the entire situation a confused mess. this was bound to be good.  He gives her a simple nod in regard, best to mind his manners while he was here.  He does look around for a moment though, the gray mare was missing a little pipsqueak. He wondered how she had tricked someone into mating with her in the first place. She had probably eaten the poor bastard directly afterwards, a wry smile at the thought.

KILLDARE
    Dragon-Winged Tracker Colonel of the Chamber

some are built from it

Oh if only Killdare knew just how many beans Erebor isn't spilling. There's so many of them, all swirling around in his head, little tiny secrets that he knows could be plucked out by any passing magician. He doesn't dwell on it, doesn't waste time hoping that the secrets will stay secret. Such is not his nature; he's got his own gambit here, but lying and worrying isn't part of it.

He nods slightly to the Amazon as she gives him her name. He isn't surprised that she plans to take him to the queen, but he is a little bit worried that they'll be leaving this area. He's still quite convinced that here, on this ground, is the proof of his innocence. His proof that he's here by accident, and has nothing to do with anything. But he's also not one to refuse a direct request, and so he follows her. Him and Killdare, who he is glad to have at his side again. The Chamber has missed the man, dammit. Killdare quips about the queen, and Erebor can't quite hide his chuckle. "I speak fluent hard-ass." he quips back dryly to the other man.

Lagertha is more or less exactly as he'd expected her to be. They should be kindred spirits really, both of them warriors and warlike in their disposition. But now they find themselves at odds – or perhaps not at odds, but at least, not exactly aligned. He offers her a respectful dip of his head, entirely sincere as he pays her the courtesy due any royal. He is diplomatic to his core, the perfect little Lordling on the battlefield and in foreign lands.

And then…well, and then he's silent. She had asked Joscelin to speak first, and he sees no reason not to allow the queen's woman to do just that. He would have a chance to speak later, he trusts – and if not, he'll make sure he gets a chance to speak later. For now, he turns his handsome face toward Joscelin, waiting to see what account she'll give.

erebor

warship x straia

I AM SORRY I MADE YOU WAIT. I caught the plague D:

and when i breathed

my breath was lightning

She is distinctly late to this party, but she had been out on kingdom visits. Still, she can smell the distinct smell of pine and mist when she enters the Jungle, even through the normal scents of the Jungle. It’s enough that she doesn’t think it’s just their captive. As she moves into the Jungle, she can hear something as well. A collection of horses together makes enough noise to draw attention, particularly when one is used to hearing mostly monkeys.

She follows the sounds until she sees the group. Jocelin and Lagertha and Killdare and…Erebor? She’s met Straia’s son, though it was a long time ago when she was young. Rhy has been visiting her cousin less, though Straia is kind enough to send a raven now and again with any news she thinks Rhy might find interesting. Such as the new Tundra kings.

Not surprisingly, she has no idea why Erebor is here. Straia hadn’t told Rhy of the Gates, or what had happened (but of course, Straia doesn’t tell Rhy anything that might hurt the Chamber). Still, their relationship of information sharing has always been beneficial, even with the other being selective in the information shared.

She comes to a stop in the group finally, catching just a last few bits of the conversation. They are waiting for Jocelin to explain, and Rhy looks at her for a moment and waits, before adding her own piece. “Whatever happened, exactly, I would bet my life Straia didn’t send him as a spy. She has plenty of them already. Why would she send one that could actually get caught?” Rhy gestures vaguely to the trees, assuming there’s at least one raven hiding somewhere nearby. She’s not entirely sure that Lagertha knows the connection between Rhy and Straia. But Rhy has always been better in the world of diplomats anyway, so this isn’t a guess out of her ass.

She just gives Lagertha a rather pointed look, but doesn’t say anything. Keeping Erebor means war, certainly. Straia wouldn’t let the Amazons simply take her son. But of course, this may be exactly what Lagertha wants. Rhy doesn’t say anything, sure her friend knows this all as well. And sure, too, that the Khaleesi knows Rhy’s own thoughts on the matter of war.

rhy

the electric lioness of riagan and rayelle

They manage to find the Khaleesi quickly enough as she had already been on her way to meet them. But then, the day that Lagertha did not know something was amiss in the Jungle would likely be the day she died. Which is fortunate, as reflecting on it, Joscelin is not entirely certain she would have cared to be trekking all over the Jungle with a prisoner and a mysterious visitor in tow.

Frankly, she would have preferred to be put into this position because she had made a successful steal or challenge. She doesn’t relish being put onto the spot for something that most definitely is not her fault. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The Khaleesi is rightfully suspicious when she finds them. Who wouldn’t be? Joscelin had never pretended to be something she is not. She can’t say that it hadn’t crossed her mind to challenge the Chamber again, despite her Khaleesi’s orders. But for the time being, she’s mostly content to be a good little soldier.

When Lagertha asks her what is happening, Joscelin’s metallic gaze shifts to the dark Chamber man. Erebor had not really seemed to know, based on what she had overheard him telling Killdare (she is completely unashamed about eavesdropping on that conversation), but she wonders if there is more here than he is saying. There has to be a reason he was dropped inexplicably into the middle of their kingdom.

”Honestly, I’m a bit in the dark as well. I found Erebor here sleeping a little ways back. I’m not sure how he got there, no tracks or anything leading to the spot.”

Besides, she is 99.9% positive someone would have noticed him schlepping through the Jungle only to fall asleep for no apparent reason.

She spots Rhy coming towards them then, arriving to provide some much needed diplomacy to the situation. Though Joscelin is perfectly capable of keeping her mouth shut when she needs to and not saying the wrong things, she’s growing more and more sure each day that she is not cut out to be a diplomat. Especially one of Rhy’s caliber.

She adds her two cents to the situation with a bit of irrefutable logic that causes Joscelin to nod her head slightly. She could certainly see sense to her words. It would be foolish to send a spy who could easily get caught. Unless, of course, one wishes to start a war they could blame the other party for.

Joscelin

Tiphon x Elysteria