• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Without speculation there is no good and original observation; results
    All done! I hope you guys had fun, and learned some interesting stuff from this quiz! Each question was worth 1 mark, even those that were made up of more than one question. To get the mark, you had to get the entire question correct. I did try to give you guys some leeway on the details for some of them though.

ANSWERS
    PARASITES
    1) Cardiodectes medusaeus
    2) Macrophage-mediated transport
    3) No larval stage. Instead uses sequential polyembryony, or viviparous reproduction.
    4) Uncinaria lucasi, Strongyloides stercoralis (basically hookworms and roundworms)
    5) Adults live in intestines of piscivorous birds, embryonated eggs pass in feces, hatch in water as ciliated coracidium larva, larva eaten by cycloid copepods, become procercoid in the hemocoel, copepods are eaten by threespine stickleback, procercoid becomes a large plerocercoid in the body cavity of the stickleback, stickleback eaten by piscivorous bird.
    6) From Wikipedia: “The most common method for removing the worm involves submerging the affected body part in water to help coax the worm out. The site is then cleaned thoroughly. Then, slight pressure is applied to the worm as it is slowly pulled out of the wound. To avoid breaking the worm, pulling should stop when resistance is met. Full extraction of the female guinea worm usually takes several days. After each day's worth of extraction, the exposed portion of the worm is wrapped around a piece of rolled-up gauze or small stick to maintain tension.”
    7) Xenodiagnosis - 30-40 laboratory-reared insects are allowed to feed directly or indirectly on the blood of a person suspected to have Chagas disease. At least one month later, intestinal contents of the insects are extracted and examined microscopically for the presence of parasites. The Immunochromatographic strip test that many of you mentioned isn’t actually in use yet. Also no one got this, so it doesn’t really affect results anyway.
    8) 12-kDa antigen
    9) Naegleria fowleri
    10) Lymphadenitis, Lymphangitis, Lymphedema (elephantiasis), Secondary bacterial infection
    11) Glycogen
    12) Spinochordodes tellinii (or Paragordius tricuspidatus) aka hairworms, and it’s not yet completely understood how it controls its hosts, though protein excretion or expression is suspected.
    13) Romanomermis culicivorax, Beauveria bassiana, Metarhizium anisopliae,
    14) Prominent lateral spine
    15) Kentrogon

VIRUSES
    16) Inoviridae (was looking for the family, not the species or the genus)
    17) ssRNA, 8 kbp or 8 kb (I realize that I was not terribly specific in that I wanted kilobase pairs, and after some searching I found a strange range of answers on the grand old internets, so I marked it as right if you got single stranded RNA)
    18) CD4, CCR5, CXCR4 … and whoever put CCR3 was right too, you learn something every day! Big Grin
    19) The rabies virus
    20) clathrin-mediated endocytosis, caveolae-mediated endocytosis, lipid-raft-mediated endocytosis, macropinocytosis (accepted membrane fusion, receptor mediated endocytosis … and a lot more. I googled all of your answers, and if you got four that were correct I gave it to you, since I wasn’t specific enough with the question).
    21) A rare, autosomal recessive inherited skin disorder characterised by eruptions of wart-like lesions that may occur anywhere on the body. These lesions are caused by infection with the human papillomavirus (HPV)
    22) Many enveloped viruses will stick to red blood cells and cause them to agglutinate.
    23) Varicella zoster virus, herpes simplex virus (HSV-1), measles, HIV
    24) Rabies
    25) Rodents (disease that I was looking for is lymphocytic choriomeningitis). I did accept horses (and the West Nile virus) as well, as the symptoms are very similar.

BUILDING MATERIALS ANALYSIS
    26) Serpentine & amphibole
    27) Nephrite
    28) Magenta and blue (accepted purple in place of magenta)
    29) 1969/1970
    30) 2012
    31) 90 ppm
    (note: I got these questions and answers from someone that works in the field)

MISCELLANEOUS
    32) She wraps him in her hair so he can get used to her scent, and he also smells her and licks her.
    33) Plastic Neesan
    34) Nelsha
    35) A coffee with two sugars and two creams, that can be ordered from Tim Hortons in Canada. (apparently it’s also a burger at In-N-Out Burger)
    36) 1.5 ppm
    37) Be Silly!
    38) Students are expected to:
    differentiate between atoms, ions, and molecules using knowledge of their structure and components
    classify substances as acids, bases, or salts, based on their characteristics, name, and formula
    distinguish between organic and inorganic compounds
    analyse chemical reactions, including reference to conservation of mass and rate of reaction
    39) “Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am. . . .”
    40) He physically rips out the beastman driver and takes control of the mech using pure emotion.
    41) After being fused with Alexander, Nina is put out of her misery by Scar.
    42) Lee, Kenny, or no one, depending on what you choose.

And the results are, in the order that I received them:
    Sapphire - 19/42
    Taz - 21/42
    Sarah - 35/42
    Mirage - 29/42
    Anna - 34/42
    Broken - 18/42
    Insane - 30/42
    Silverbell - 22/42

So, first place goes to Sarah. Sarah, please pick out your trait(s) for Gaza. You may pick two out of wings, horn, and immortality OR one trait of your choosing (telepathy etc, but nothing extreme).

Second place goes to Anna. Anna please pick out your trait for Leck. You may pick one out of wings, horn, and immortality.

Third place goes to Insane - a stat pick. You can pick the gender, defects (or lack of defects) and colour for one foal. This does include unusual colours (red, blue, etc), but it must make “genetic sense” with the parents (i.e. the foal cannot inherit a colour that their parents do not have).

And yes, the traits are genetic. Smile

Thanks for participating everyone!