• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

good morning starshine; Lagertha/Sette/any

One of Fennick’s greatest fears was that his unborn child would be just like him. Recently, the large stallion had found purpose, confidence and a calling bigger than himself. Those developments, however, were all very recent and mostly due to the generosity of his king, Demian. Somehow, the Valley king had seen something of worth in Fennick when nobody else had. Fennick still sometimes wondered if Demian had been totally off his nut and he had risen to the occasion only because he didn’t want to embarrass the new ruler.

Either way, the future of Fennick’s only child was not to be left to chance. She needed role models, better role models then he could provide. Certainly, Hestia, the child’s mother, would provide one such example. However, the other woman about the Valley was Gallows, and Fennick’s second biggest fear was that his daughter would turn out like her.

This is where Anguisette came in. Fennick had heard about the child, an enterprising young girl who had made a name for herself among the Amazons. She was just the sort of girl they needed to set an example for the other fillies. Fennick puffed up a little, proud of the good idea he had.

There was, however, the problem of reaching her. The jungle was notoriously hard to navigate, and Fennick was rather large. He struggled for serval fruitless minutes before he came across a jungle cat and stole the creature’s form. Using the cat’s excellent hunting skills and lithe body, he wound his way to the jungle’s center, looking very smug indeed.

Cat Fennick reached the Amazon’s territory and morphed back into his own form. He briefly considered keeping the cat’s claws, should the women of the jungle not see this wisdom of his plan. With a sigh he let the claws go, and rolled his shoulders to relieve the tight muscles. Situated, he called for Lagertha and his new little house guest.

“Lagertha, I’m here to borrow your princess.” Fennick grinned, a lopsided, sheepish look that accurately portrayed his oh so very slight remorse. The Valley had need of her, so he was calling on the Jungle to spare her.

I am iron and I forge myself

Lagertha can only do so much by herself, and now it is evident. The Valley has stolen her daughter, and it is enough to make her blood boil. While they are not enemies, they aren’t exactly allies (yet) either. The stallion could have chosen anyone - anyone at all, and she would have simply shrugged her shoulders and said that’s life. They target her daughter, and Lagertha is surprised to find that she desperately wants blood. It’s a double standard that she doesn’t have to justify. Why? Because she’s a goddamn queen and they know that little rattles her. So when something does - watch out.

After privately raging about and destroying a good deal of budding fern plants and some sapling trees, the iron Khaleesi composes herself. With a loud snort and nary a look behind her, she moves on, leaving a circle of trampled and shredded foliage in her wake. You see, there is an intruder in their midst, and she must deal with it swiftly. No matter that the intruder has a reason to be here - borders are borders.

Whilst making her way quickly down the jungle paths, she thinks on the situation; turn it into something good, Lagertha concludes - give Anguisette her first assignment. Make her expectations to the Valley’s man very, very, very clear. Just like it would be very, very, very clear that he should wait to be invited in next time. These are uncertain days; nothing can be left to chance and no weaknesses uncovered, let alone her pregnancy.

She arrives in her armor, which is actually rather magnificent when you look beyond the functionality of it. Her skin is covered in a thin layer of iron, from which razor sharp onyx spikes (something like a sea urchin’s outer layer) radiate - and then, of course, there are the waterbuck horns that arc high above her head. She is just…. prickly all over. It manages to hide the gentle swell of her abdomen (thank goodness she isn’t in the later stages of gestation yet), and is a sight that few have seen, let alone someone who isn’t a sister. Lagertha knows how to keep her cards close to her chest.

She practically growls at him - flinty, cold eyes narrowed and hard. “I know who you have come for, Valley man, but you are trespassing. And for that, you must make a concession.” He should have known better, or at least known that the Amazons were rather territorial. Especially their hard-ass of a Khaleesi.

Lagertha

warrior queen of the amazons

I don't know what it is for sure, but I can tell something is not right. The colorful birds who have lately grown used to me act unsettled and take flight as I walk the paths, and the jaguar spirit is nowhere to be seen. Lately she has been giving me glimpses. I find I like the visual reminder of our interconnectedness with the jungle. I feel a peace here, soothing my restless aches. But today, I don't feel calmed. I feel anxious, and I want to know why.

I search the usual places for my mother. The clearing where she and I sleep, the usual meeting place and the borders prove fruitless. I snort, too distracted to return the greetings of the mares I know, and catch a glimpse of a jungle cat twining through the roots as I turn to retrace my steps. Something about the creature's less than natural movements alerts me and I follow it. A real cat would have noticed me in moment, but this one seems oblivious, albeit with the usual light-footedness of its kind.

It stops suddenly. My eyes grow wide as the cat begins to shift and change and turn into a creature who cannot possibly be a horse, but is. And though this stallion's transformation and sex are enough to surprise me, it is the words that fall from his mouth that truly shake me to the core.

“Lagertha, I’m here to borrow your princess.”

My ears ring with the sound of my blood and I freeze. I am ashamed that my first reaction is dread. My ears flatten and I urge my body forward, anger rushing through my veins with every beat of my heart. If he wants me, he will fight.

My mother interrupts my foray into recklessness. Her armored form is one I have rarely seen and my eyes shine with awe and pride. How can anyone think the Amazons weak or lesser because of their sex? I would bet on my mother's ferocity over any equine ever. Not this intruder who comes to steal me away, nor anyone else, can match her for skill.

Realizing I am still standing in the shadows, I stalk forward, my head held high and my dark eyes flashing. While it is infinitely evident that our Khaleesi does not need the back up of her yearling daughter, I pull up by her side, but with a respectful berth given to her armor. I eye the stallion with controlled fury. I am not afraid anymore. Not of him, never of him. Only of the future am I anxious. Not until the intruder spoke did it ever occur to me that I would live anywhere but the jungle.

"I presume you are looking for me. I am Anguisette." My words are steel. I am proud of this, at least, that my voice is clear and steady. I glance up at my mother, obedience taking the place of iron in my tone. "What do you want from me, Khaleesi?"

Not what does he want, for I suspect the member of Valley kingdom has come to claim me as a captive (although the reasoning for the I am anxious to find out), but what does my mother want? And the jungle, and the sisterhood? How can I turn this situation to one of our advantage? For no matter where I go, the jungle will be in my heart and soul.

Anguisette
    the changeling jungle princess

the cat and the fiddle

Its been a interesting few months, to say the least. Yes you could say that she was scared, would she show it? Never. The former amazonian princess plods through Beqanna reminesing on old haunts. Wondering how the hell she was going to raise a child. It wasn't something that she was prepared for.

She had been so careful in previous years to keep from having children, in fact if anything the mare had keep to her amazonian policy and never touched a male that way before in her life. Until Fennick, dear Fennick, whom had stolen her heart, and for one night, ok maybe it had been longer, she had allowed him to own her body as well. So far the black mare's meanderings had brought her across the Dale, the meadow, and a few other shady memories. Now she was at the borders of her "other" home. The home of her birth and heritage.

Hesitant she knew she was bound to cross these borders one day, but was today that day? Well they seemed to welcome her enough. She didn't want to disturb any of the ladies, so far she had been successful in keeping to herself and the shadows about her travels. Then a familiar scent wafts her way. Traversing through the heat had never been a problem to her, the Jungle came alive. It was a living breathing creature that called to her heart.

She shifts in her stance, a path opening to her. The mare looks to the trees carressing the leaves as she passes through. It was guiding her to her heart. She was sure of it. Though the scent seemed to grow stronger as she moved through the brush. Until its a suprise and a gasp that has her head spinning slightly.

What was he doing here? Why did the Jungle lead her here? There seems to be a heated exchange taking place. She isn't sure what to do. So slowly she approaches, making sure to remain respectfully in all their sight ranges. Pursing her lips, she nods to the women, and reachs to touch Fennicks shoulder uncertainty clouding her vision. Would he be upset with her? She couldn't help but wonder, this was a new era of her life, and she had never not traversed familiar ground before. Everything in her life now was new, it was in a sense terrifying to the immortal. Lagertha, my apologies for intruding. She pauses a moment nodding to the two ladies in respect. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Hestia. You can see the Amazonian flower marking her heritage on her chest for in Lagertha's rage she had trampled the foliage that had hid it. I was simply traveling through my old haunts, when the Jungle borders welcomed me. It formed a path, and I followed as the spirit has never been wrong in its guidence. Foolish it may seem, but the path the Jungle guided me with led me here. She stops once more leafy orbs uncertain, though a light breeze allows her to catch the mares scent, and she knows. The mother instinct alerted her to the presence of another mother to be. Certainly not the yearling. If I may be of assistance in any way, I would be happy to oblige. I can only help but think that the spirit has a reason for my presence here. She ignored the mares tantrums, after all Hestia could relate. She didn't know what she would do if the child inside of her was to be taken from her side at such an age.

The black mare offers a look of sympathy, after all. She had been placed in the same position long ago. A princess captured, and trained to be a diplomat. Seperated from her family and friends. The queen Jadis had not been so protective of herself as this woman was of her young.

It was not so long ago, that the Valley, and the Amazonian's used to trade their children as a sign of good faith. Perhaps that custom was igniting once more? She already knew that she would be sending her own daughter to the sisters for some of her education. It was important that their family heritage not be lost, there was no better place then the Jungle and Valley. She wanted the best for her child, and would make sure that as much as she loved the unborn creature that laid growing inside her, she would sacrifice her love to know that it would grow with the best the child could have.

Hestia

The living dead
    Fennick, for all his faults, was the Valley’s captain and Demian’s right hand for a reason. That reason had nothing to do with his pretty face and lack of tact. Rather, he’d earned his place despite those things. Seeing as they were considerable obstacles to overcome, he must have been doing something right.

So, when Lagertha approached, looking like a demon warrior straight from hell, Fennick groaned inwardly but tried to keep the expression off his face. This was going to be fun. Still, he’d come to the conclusion that Anguisette was worth it. All this was really just a compliment, if you were in the mood to see it that way. He would hazard a guess and say that was not the mood Lagertha was in.

Still, Fennick tried to remember what he had to gain as he smiled broadly, and very insincerely, despite his best efforts. Next time he was just going to send Cress to talk to people. She was the head of diplomacy after all. Fennick would just handle the resulting challenge. And, from the way this was going, there was going to be a challenge. Fennick groaned inwardly again. Did nobody respect his need for paternity leave? No, apparently not. Lagertha growled at him, and Fennick noted that it was a very impressive growl. He tried to hide that appreciation as well and rolled his shoulders in a casual manner.

“Am I?” He looked down, as if the border he had crossed would appear at his feet. He looked back up and smiled, his tone very cheerful.

“Now, before we jump to conclusions, it should be noted that I don’t have to do anything, and that I’ve been lost for at least two miles. If it wasn’t so hot I’d swear I was in the Tundra.” He grinned again, wondering if bad jokes would defuse the tension or make it worse. His money was on the latter. Whoops.

The guest of honor, Anguisette, showed up before Fennick had time to do any further damage. He decided it would be better not to anger Lagertha by seeming any more enthusiastic than he already was. He nodded in greeting to the girl and kept his tone friendly, but politely so.

“Ah, the princess herself. A pleasure, Anguisette. I’m Fennick.” He let the conversation die for a moment, wondering how best to proceed. He was still contemplating when a sound behind him caught his attention. He turned around, expecting to see a jungle cat or something equally nefarious, when Hestia appeared instead. His jaw nearly hit the jungle floor. After a moment of bewildered staring, his brain reactivated and he smiled in greeting and returned her nudge. Soon, any day really, their child would be born. Fennick briefly had visions of that child being born in the Jungle. That would be less than ideal. He smiled at her, very sheepish, but with a tinge of excitement.

“I guess the cat is out of the bag. I was going to surprise you.” He gestured at Anguisette.

“I’m bringing our child a friend, you know, to play with. Don’t you think they’ll have fun? Our little boy or girl, Namaah and Anguisette?” Fennick smiled again, but he was beginning to see the flaws in this flawless plan. Perhaps Hestia’s idea of friendship didn’t involve kidnap and theft. He looked back at Anguisette and Lagertha and sighed, wondering again why interpersonal relationships were always so blasted difficult.

“Perhaps, there is a way we can make this more fun for you two.” He paused, choosing his words carefully.

“I’m not going to give up my claim, but I’m open to a concession, for the sake of good feelings all around.” There, again Fennick felt very smug. At this rate he was going to de a diplomat after all.

The first thing she wonders when another mare shows up is why a former Amazon still has her tattoo. Maybe outside of Beqanna, former members weren’t affected. It strikes her, for a moment, her eyes widening. She misses her own marks dearly and looks forward to the day when those silvery lines decorate her body again. She is fierce now, with her her horns and armor, but there are days when she looks at her reflection in the water and misses the intricacies of the patterns that wound their way around her face and chest. They were beautiful, in their own way. She felt decorated. She felt proud to wear them. The real question, however, is also why that flower has not been slashed from the former sister’s breast. Amazons swear allegiance to the Kingdom for life.

So, what? She has come against her former Kingdom to advocate her lover taking the Queen’s child? Oh, that woman is no Sister. And so, she questions her. Perhaps more harshly than she should, but she has no patience for those who forsake their oaths. This is not a tantrum. This is a legitimate questioning. Her voice is as hard and as steady as the first words she uttered to Fennick. “You can tell me how you wear the flower - whole - when you live in the Valley now. Once a Sister forsakes the Jungle, the mark is slashed from her chest. None of us have the tattoo now, so how do you? If she is one of the old ones, if she is loyal - why did she not come here first? If the spirit is that strong in her… Her tones remain level, factual. “Magic has changed things here. But oaths are oaths. If you took it, and your allegiance is now to him and the Valley, then you have no right to wear that flower.” If she is still loyal to the Jungle, then what the heck is she doing supporting someone else? Everyone is held to the same standard. If one of her current subjects pulled this stunt, there would be hell to pay - either in the moment or later.

Let her think on that a moment.

Lagertha turns to Fennick. “That is exacttly why courtesy demands you wait at the borders. You are trespassing, plain and simple. The second one in a year - so why does all of Beqanna think that is ok? Would you tolerate it?” And yes, now she is getting angry. “Now.” She clears her throat, slowing down and speaking very clearly and articulately. “Sette will go as a visiting dignitary, with the right to come and go as she pleases. For a year. She will learn, and she will be treated well. As if she is your own daughter.” Her gaze travels between the three of them, lingering on each for a moment. “And the next time a member of the Valley comes to visit the Jungle, they will wait at the borders or come with a Sister, or I will impale them myself. Understood?”

Lagertha

[let me know if i got that whole Hestia thing wrong, Tiny, and I'll edit! ]

the cat and the fiddle

She blinks, a little suprised at the lack of decor the queen shows. This was not the amazons that she remembered. These were not the actions of a dignitary. Hestia remembers a day, an age, when questions were asked rather than slandered towards someone. If she only knew the entiraty of Hestia's story. She doubted the woman would be so bold. Indeed the Amazons had fallen, that much was clear to her. No one had to flower? No one paraded the vines? Where was the spirit? Why did they not hold to their traditions?

She remembered when the Amazons had been a proud band of warriors, unstoppable, the pride of beqanna. Now look at them, even their queen could not hold her tongue. If anything the woman should be thanking her. Her mother had begged for her to come back. To follow her in her footsteps, but no Hestia had seen to her families needs instead. Now she watched as her heratige started crumbling before her eyes.

Lost in thought, her eyes soft and a little distant she nods to the queen Firstly, if you must know, I have sworn no allegiance to anyone, or any kingdom. Ever in my life time. She pauses for a moment before continuing. I was never a sister, but a relic. All she was, everything that had held her heart, she was simply a relic. Something to forever mark the reign of a family that was slowly fading away. If you notice, I do not carry the mark of the vines, or the spirit tattoo of a creature of the Jungle. My flower, was a gift from a queen, and a blessing from the Jungle. Nothing more. Simply a mark of a family that seems to have been forgotten. There is nothing but the blessing of the Jungle on my body, it is nothing to do with associations. She isn't angry, she doesn't flip out and retaliate towards the   woman, there is no reason to. If anything Hestia believed herself to be showing the true actions of an amazonian, these younglings, seemed to be in need of lessons.

She is doubting herself, she isn't sure if she so desires her child to be with these new amazonians, maybe she could train the girl up on her own, make sure she stays to the old customs. A vibrant bird lands on her shoulder and she nudges it lovingly. A long time ago, another princess was stolen from her home She looks pointedly at sette, hoping that the girl would see her sympathy. in much the same manner, though, that queen saw the benefits of the affair, and demanded that one of the Valleys children also be presented to the Jungle to ensure the safe return of her own daughter. Though the daughter fell in love with the new kingdom much to the queens dissapointment. She pauses for a moment looking into the queens eyes wondering what she would see when she finally gazed at those pools of anger. It started a tradition amongst the two kingdoms, and they alligned forces to become two of the most powerful kingdoms beqanna had seen. They traded children, thus they grew with a well rounded education. Though the princess never returned home, choosing instead to stay as a diplomat for the Jungle in the Valley. She blinks looking from one to the other, It would seem that tradition has been lost, though I would like to spark it up once more, and request that my daughter be raised here for half of her childhood. Under the care of the queen. I do not desire my family to be completely forgotten, its of the most importance to me that she continue in the old traditions and learn as much about the world as she can

Hestia

The living dead

Fennick grinned lopsidedly at Lagertha, wondering what would happen exactly, if she did impale him. It would hurt like hell, that was for sure, and Gallows would certainly carry on merrily in his absence as a solo queen. The big stallion tried to make himself look serious, as serious as this quickly escalating situation demanded. He fought the sheepishness from his expression and turned glittering black eyes on the queen before him. He nodded gravely, though he couldn’t help the flash of amusement that sparkled in his eyes.

Truth be told, he didn’t really care who wandered across his border. It was a literal wall of fire, so if they stepped though it unscathed and of their own free will, they must really, really want to talk to him. That didn’t necessarily guarantee them safe passage back across, but he had yet to slaughter a visitor. He looked at Lagertha skeptically, and wondered if she had the same record.

Still, his attention turned away from the Jungle queen and back to Hestia when they asked about her tattoo. Fennick listened to her story, first with curiosity and then with a growing alarm. Oh god, he saw where this was going. He shook his head minutely at her in mute appeal, but she plunged ahead, either because she didn’t notice or because she didn’t care. He didn’t blame her either way, for he could see the diplomacy in the idea. That being said, he didn’t have to like it, even if it was a good idea. The big stallion sagged a little. Fine. He’d heard that kings were supposed to make sacrifices for his kingdom, he just didn’t expect it to be Hestia’s idea or their daughter that was sacrificed. He shot her a “you’re killing me” look, then turned back to Lagertha and Anguisette.

“I’ll admit, this wasn’t exactly what I had in mind.” He paused, wondering if he was really going to offer the murder threatening mistress of the Jungle his only, much loved child.

“But, I suppose, for a sake of a well rounded education,” Now he shot Hestia a look, wondering if his entire reign was going to be like this.

“I’ll admit the plan has its merits. What do you say, Lagertha? We can take kidnap and imprisonment off the table and trade dignitaries instead? I’ll agree to your terms for Anguisette if you agree to the same terms for Eona.” His voice snagged a bit on his daughter’s name. He was going to go down in history as the king who cried over his kid. The big man sucked it up and plastered on a big, cheesy grin.

“And, as an added bonus, I’ll tell my kingdom to respect your borders on the threat of their lives.” Fennick couldn’t help but feel that he hadn’t gotten off quite as he imagined in this deal. Still, it was a smart plan, a plan that could benefit both their kingdoms. He would have to just appease himself with that.  

When it comes down to it, she doesn’t give a rat’s ass what a former princess of the Jungle thinks. Lagertha isn’t a dignitary, she isn’t full of decorum, and she will never hold her tongue. The Warrior Queen is exactly that - a warrior. In fact, she was General before she became Khaleesi. Her Sisters accept her for who she is, temperament and all, and approve of her leadership. That’s the only approval she’ll ever seek. Let the other Kingdoms and rulers think what they want; let those who abandoned their legacy thing what they want. And then let them meet Lagertha on the battlefield to discuss it. For skill speaks far louder than the false bravado of words.

Customs change, kingdoms move on, and some things are simply out of their control. Sometimes there are disasters that rewrite the land and sometimes there Spirits become corporeal. When Lagertha’s dam was Queen they were simply called ‘Queens’ and the world was a much more vicious place, even without all the fancy super powers running around. Traditions die and new ones take their place. The only promises she’ll make are ones that are beneficial for her own.

Nevertheless, the iron lady knows when she’s been dealt a good hand and when to fold preemptively. They’ve just handed her the best situation on a silver platter. Fennick is right - Lagertha has gotten the better part of the deal, if you discount the fact that not stealing their princess keeps the wrath of the Amazons at bay. And everybody without holes in their body. She retracts her spines as a show of good faith and nods, then glances to Sette. “Done. In a year, Anguisette will return with your daughter. But I will not force my women to send their children away if they don’t want to. And neither should you. I will leave it as an available option.” Lagertha sighs, knowing already that she will dearly miss the girl at her side. But it is only for a year. And she can come and visit.

“Do you need a guide for the way back, or do you think you can find your way?”

Lagertha