• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Fennick, dear, let's chat

This is like a twisted version of deja vu. The kind of deja vu you have where you're re-experiencing (it's a word, shut up) an event and then some small detail gets changed and the reminiscent mood is ruined? Yeah, like that. That is precisely what I am feeling.

If Demian were here, I'd probably slap him silly. You know, in a horsey way. Because of course he makes goody two shoes Fennick a co-ruler. Fennick. I scowl. Oh, I like the boy well enough, but he's just so eager. He makes me look bad. Which makes me want to beat him up. Which is probably not the best way to start out what I intend to be a long and fruitful reign.

When I stop and think about it, I can admit we have our merits as a pair. But am I going to say that out loud? Hell no. Have you met me? I'm going to count my lucky stars that no one else in this place can read minds and I'm going to spend every minute of the next however many decades keeping darling Fennick on his toes.

I'm an angel, really.

With renewed vigor and a sense of eager excitement barely contained, I canter towards the Valley's tree where I have arranged to meet Fennick. I have a feeling he will quickly tire of my mind reading.

Good.

Regardless, he loves the Valley and we need to chat. At the end of the day, this place is all that matters.

G A L L O W S
    We must all hang together or, assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

The Irreverent Valley Queen

Fennick wasn't really sure how this happened. One moment he and Gallows were exchanging witty (and not so witty) barbs, and the next moment they were co ruling a kingdom. In this precise moment he felt like there was very little in his life that he could be sure of.

More importantly, Fennick wasn’t sure how the stars had aligned to bring him to this day. He had very little vision and no people skills. He did, however, feel entirely indebted and devoted to his kingdom. Perhaps, that was the only requirement to rule? No, he didn't think he'd get off so lucky. The black stallion rolled his shoulders, trying to psych himself up for this meeting. What was he even going to say to her?

Something along the lines of, "Hey Gallows, please don’t torment me every waking moment of every day?" No, he couldn’t say that, because now it was, quite literally, their job to torment each other. It was their job to bicker and whine their way to a successful kingdom. While opposites may not attract, they did make for a well balanced team.

Fennick saw Gallows and winced a little. Shit, now he would have to tell her about stealing an Amazon princess. Knowing Gallows, she would probably just think it was a grand idea. He wasn’t, however, entirely pleased that it had accidentally been his first act as king. Kidnap. Excellent.

He stopped a little ways away from the new queen and couldn’t keep the scowl from his face. Fennick never imagined himself as king. Truth be told, he wasn’t really sure he wanted to be. He did, however, intend to do the best job he could. Together, perhaps, they would do a commendable job. The shock was still too new, however, for him to look to the future. Fennick simply scowled deeper.

“This is your fault, I hope you know.” Yes, this was her fault, his life had gotten significantly more complicated. He knew his answer was less than kingly, but with no one around to hear, he intended to make his feelings known before he had to put on a good face and act like a monarch.

I grin, my amusement a stark contrast to the scowl on the stallion's face. I'm well aware he considers this whole thing my fault. If only it were. But I'm happy enough to take the blame for quite a few things I had nothing to do with. Especially if it has the added bonus of annoying dear Fen. My goody two shoes, predictable, everywhere at once-oh my gosh.

He didn't.

"Oh gods. Fennick!" I laugh suddenly, gasping out words while I struggle to catch my breath. "You were worried about me and you went and kidnapped a princess. Lagertha's daughter, no less!"

My fit of giggles ends in an amused sigh and I look over the stallion appraisingly. It seems there might be more of a troublemaker in my co-ruler than I had previously thought. That's refreshing. It means Fennick might be more amenable to changes of the fun persuasion. Also practical, because let's be honest, ninety percent of this job is paperwork.

"Good lord, thank you. I needed that. Well done. And I approve the plan to trade dignitaries with the Amazons. Perhaps you can speak to the little princess on behalf of both of us about an alliance. We are already allied with the Chamber but if we could get the warrior women, it would be a formidable trifecta quite capable of going offensive. Should we so desire."

And it is abundantly clear that it is something I so desire. Stretching our muscles with a couple of strong kingdoms by our sides sounds like an excellent way to pass our first reigning year. I make a mental note to speak to Straia, and forge ahead.

"On a practical note, I think the wall needs to go. Or at least the flamboyance of it. I want to speak with Eight about a subtler alarm for intruders. I had also hoped you would tell me what ideas you might have."

I can play nice. Really. I am very good at it. I mean, not for long, and I will definitely call someone on being stupid if they are, but I figure I should make an effort. Ruling with someone is a brand new experience. Kind of like letting spiders crawl across your skin or eating worms. And it's not like I couldn't read Fennick's mind but I'm fairly certain it's considered more polite to let him talk.

Speaking of reading his mind.

"And Fennick? I'm not going to waste breath convincing you that you are worthy of this job. You're the king of the Valley. Step up or step down." I cock an eyebrow, my serious tone tempered by the merriment in my golden eyes. I have no doubt that he will step up. He just needs a kick in the ass to remind him that this isn't about either of us. It's about our home.

G A L L O W S

The Irreverent Valley Queen

ooc: So. Much. Dialogue.

Fennick had the sense to look a little embarrassed. It was a little ironic, he’d been steadfastly prepared to label Gallows a trouble maker, then he’d gone and screwed the pooh himself. Life was funny like it, it had a way of surprising you. That being said, the large stallion stood by his slightly misbegotten plan. Stealing an Amazon princess, through no effort of his own, had turned out rather well for everyone. It was a good idea on Hestia’s part, to turn trade dignitaries. The face that the dignitary was his daughter was only upsetting for personal reasons, and personal reasons had to be set aside.

“Ah yes, that.” Fennick’s embarrassed look turned a little devilish.

“I’m glad you approve. The Amazons would be a powerful alliance for us. Theft is certainly a roundabout way of establishing that a friendship, but I guess we’ll see what can come of it.” In some ways it made sense. Strength met well with strength, and putting Lagertha in a mind to compromise with him had ended better than expected. Unless Fennick had read her signals wrong, she had also considered running him through. Nobody cold ever say he wasn’t prepared to sacrifice for his kingdom.

“What is it that they say? The best defense is a good offense?” Another big smile. While Fennick was certainly the type of man who would rather stay in than go out for a night on the town, he also knew that kingdoms needed to estalbish themselves, needed to show power or else be considered weak. The Valley would not be weak, he was quite sure he and Gallows agreed on that. At her statement he looked to the fire wall.

“It does block the view.” Since it had gone up Fennick had missed the towering views of the peaks around them. The big stallion shrugged.

“But, you have to admit its useful. If you and Eight can design something better you’ll hear no complaints from me. Truth be told I’m not overly concerned about our security. An alarm may be enough.” Fennick employed a “let them come” theory to invasion. It wasn’t just hubris. He was fully confident that they could weather and defeat an attack from any kingdom, save perhaps the one that was their ally. He would honestly love to see someone try. Fennick was smiling now, and not just because his heart beat a little faster at the idea of war. No, somehow, this felt right. He liked the feeling that they were working towards something real and important. At Gallows next statement, however, he scowled again and gave her an exasperated expression that was becoming a trademark.

“Yes, yes. Let me have my fun. There’s nothing in this for me unless I can scowl at you.” And with that he grinned cheerfully and ironically, just to show her that he was having fun and stepping up, as she put it. His statement wasn’t completely true. There was plenty “in it” for him. Scowling at Gallows was just an added bonus. Fennick relieved an itch on his face and remembered another point he meant to discuss.

"What do you think about the tattoos? We have several newcomers." Fennick had grown rather fond of his tattoo, and was happy to keep it. Whether it should be required was a different matter. Not to mention their installation hinged on the availability of Flamevein.

It would be a lie to say I don't enjoy his embarrassment. He does such a wonderful job masking his darker tendencies with his boy-next-door persona, and I find I like the dichotomy. Together we are an unassuming team that I hope will be horribly underestimated.

I do so enjoy surprises.

"It might be wiser for you to avoid the Amazons for awhile, Fennick. If we need to talk to them I'll approach Lagertha myself. I'm not sure she loves you like I do." I grin, my eyes crinkling with amusement. Not to mention, I don't trust myself. If the Khaleesi were to run my companion through with her horns I might just watch for the immense amount of pleasure it would bring me.

Oh hush. I don't want him dead. Just maimed a little.

I have the completely immature impulse to stick out my tongue like a child. I don't have to admit anything, I think sourly. At least, not out loud. It's the privilege of growing old. You get to say or not say whatever the fuck you feel like even if it's a bold faced lie.

"Maybe." I say, shortly. "It had its purposes anyways. I'll hunt down our resident reclusive magician and let you know what we talk about. For what it's worth I like the tattoos, but I don't like making them mandatory. It's so hard to send out spies if they have their allegiance broadcasted on their face."

Straia may be lucky enough to have a horde of ravens at her beck and call, but I have to rely on more traditional methods. We have to. Gods, that's hard to remember.

"There is one other matter, besides you scowling at me which you are welcome to do at any time of the day or night." I wink at him, hoping it annoys him further. "The tree. The entities of the other kingdoms have trees with purpose, such as healing or prediction. Ours is growing, but it only houses potential. What do you think we should petition the almighty ones for the Valley's tree?"

Am I being sarcastic about the almighty ones? Um, yes. Beings like Carnage and the fairies are vastly more full of themselves than I will ever be. So perhaps, in this area, Fennick will be more useful for actually approaching the beqanna fairy for a favor. I'm liable to get us all turned into slugs.

"I personally like the idea of some sort of protective aspect. There may not always be a magician around with a handy dandy wall."

G A L L O W S