• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

Like a Thorn to the Holy Ones [Killdare, any]

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

Beside his Queen he watches the young male lower his head. Good, he thinks. Finally the lad had some conviction to show respect. He stands like stone, broad and unyielding against the backdrop. Whatever tales Nymphetamine might weave, Killdare would be sure to take care when considering them.

And so the tale begins, with uncertainty and a course for deceit. This new comer goes on about how he had set himself up as a spy, but not for the Gates-against them.

To this the Colonel lifts his brow, though he halts all other reactions. He had considered as much, but he still did not know whether to place faith into the story.

Then to his surprise the blood bay offers an additional bit of interest. Before them a creature rises, or, at least what had been left of it. Time, death, decay had ravaged the body. Sections of flesh had peeled and rotted away from the bone, but somehow it still held strength enough to break away at the Queen's cage. In place of ice, was flesh, long since deteriorated. And the smell, oh the smell!

Killdare did not care for it one bit. The scent was putrid enough to threaten the hairs from his nostrils. Though he bore this inconvenience, he did not have to like or enjoy it. Truth be told, it was an interesting gift, he would give the lad that. It was something that could serve the Chamber no doubt, but did they really trust the wielder? His gaze shifts, looking at Straia sidelong. What did she think? What did she take from this display? He wonders all this with one look, before addressing their (for the time being) captive.

"Well I see you have some uses, how would you use these talents to benefit the Chamber? How would you use them against the Gates?" He shifts his weight to another leg. "While you have many things to say, still you have not said why you would wish to do such a thing with your time. You are new here after all, you want to be a part of the power. Meritable enough for one so young, but still your reason behind it all escapes me" A flick of his tail, accentuating his pause.

"If plans for spying you have, well then you will not hold any reason to not divulge the Queen and I. The Gates, you've been? Tell me then, what sort of traits do the residents hold? There will be the usual of course, wings, horns maybe. Someone will have the gift of empathy, another will delight in invisibility." He paces now, curving around the Queen's backside to emerge on the opposite one.

The dragon-winged bay steps towards the corpse, to further inspect this puppet, setting aside his curling stomach. Killdare had endured more brutal forms of torment, at the hands of his own father, the stench he would and could deal with. "Ah, yes but you see, I do not think the ruler goes without their own prize to claim." Straia had not divulged her gifts to him, not all of them, he did not even know for sure she or any other kingdom ruler had these extras. But, he was a man of war, all things came with spoils. Everything had a prize. Everything had a price too, and he hoped the Queen had come up with something befitting their guest.  

KILLDARE
    Dragon-Winged Tracker Colonel of the Chamber

i am the violence in the pouring rain

i am a hurricane

She listens with some interest. It’s entirely possible he’s telling the truth, and entirely possible he’s lying. But of course, she doesn’t trust every horse she deals with. That’s the thing about ruling the Chamber, about living in a place destined to cause destruction. She hadn’t trusted Gryffen at all, hadn’t trusted their ally in the Valley until recently (Gallows was more hell bent on proving the Valley’s power quickly than Straia had been with the Chamber, which seemed foolish to Straia, but to each their own).

She didn’t trust this boy, but here’s the thing about being her, she doesn’t really need to trust anyone. It’s damn hard to keep secrets from her. Not impossible, but not very likely. And he could potentially be useful. There’s little she doesn’t know, but of course, some things can’t be seen as the raven’s perch in the trees. Her own kingdom granted trait could not be seen. And Lagertha had recently shed her horns – for what? Even the ravens did not yet know. It’s quite possible that the boy can tell them the invisible things they are up again. If not now, in the future.

Then, the ground is shaking and there’s bone and rotting flesh rising from the ground. The smell is awful, though Straia doesn’t flinch. Her own father is a walking, rotting corpse, after all, so this is not entirely new to her. Her grin is a bit wicked now, slightly pleased. Killdare is already asking questions, and she lets him, because they are all good questions, to which she expects any and all answers the boy can give.

But eventually, Killdare falls silent, and she waits till Nymphetamine has answered all of them before saying her own piece. Which starts as the ice ravens untangle themselves from one another, taking to the sky now. Not that the cage was doing any good at this point, but it’s a show of goodwill, if nothing else. The ravens do not go far, settling in the trees behind her, glinting in the sun. They are sharp and deadly, and not unwilling to attack, though they do not threaten to do so. One of the ravens settles on the blood boy’s back though, disappearing as it does. The weight of it will still be present, and though the raven probably won’t sit on his back forever, it’s clear what this raven will be doing. It will be watching, and it will not be seen.

”I’m willing to give you a shot. Of course, you’ll forgive me if I don’t readily set you off without a pair of my own eyes around you.” She’s not actually asking for an apology at all. Her ravens watch everyone, though none are invisible in the way this one is. No one in the Gates would detect it, unless Jason came back (damn magicians). “You’ll have to tell the Gates some things about us, but I’d like you to run whatever you plan to tell them by myself or Killdare. We can feed them a few tidbits, but most of it should be harmless or lies.”

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

ooc: Sorry so long- Nymhpetamine had a lot of explaining to do.

Nymphetamine looked over at the two who were like his gatekeepers. They kept him in the moment; they kept him from moving on or backing out; they simply kept him. Straia and Killdare looked in on him with their age and power, the young stallion peered back with nothing but determination and ambition; he had nothing to his name but the will to make more of himself. He was alone here, there was no failsafe, he either convinced them or he would be held here forever.

He watched the reaction of the two beasts as the corpse moved forward, and was pleased that they both seemed interested in its usefulness. The Queen had the most openly approving reaction- a wicked grin. However small, it was a positive sign but he was unable to look for more meaning as Killdare began to slink around Straia, changing up his perspective. The change of position brought with it a string of questions. Sure they were valid, but it doesn’t mean the blood stallion was happy about their delivery. Nymphetamine exhaled, and flicked his ear, taking in the last his recruiter’s questions. He hid his annoyance well, there would be a time to be flippant with the winged beast, but it was not now. The young stag glanced at Straia, he could tell she was interested in his answers too. He chose to look back to Killdare catching his eyes dead on. Nymphetamine new Killdare had the queen’s trust- at least to some extent, so he had to win him over- at least a bit.

Necromancy had many uses, I can raise them to block paths and scare the feeble minded way, the corpses can fight- with out allowing harm to our warriors, I can rise more than one, and animate them independently to distract our enemies. How would you use them? You are the military leader here, I’m willing to help if I am able—my gift has its limits, like most magic. Any way I use necromancy to help Chamber- would be against the Gates, no? But it could be fun to get them riled-up by raising a corpse or two in their kingdom. They wouldn’t even know it was me, since you two are the only two in Bequanna that know of the ability.

He allowed a deep chuckle to escape, raspy and course. He didn’t know many of the members of Gates only Magnus and Mast- but from what Magnus had said most would be rather unsettled by a corpse moving through the lands. Killdare’s next question was one that was the heart of his distrust, or at least that is what Nympheramine thought. He had to make sure his explanation was clear, this was when he could get Killdare a little more on board.

Why not? I wanted to prove myself useful- rather than sit around and wait for an assignment- to be chosen- so I made my mark right away. What I did, what I am doing- isn’t the typical approach- it is commendable—memorable. You can’t say most dare to do what I am doing. I am doing this because I can- and I can for Chamber. I mean, as you said in the meadow, Chamber is a right side to find yourself with.

The blood bay looked at the stag and fae waiting for any commentary they had on his reply- he was sure Killdare would- Killdare always had a comment about his unfaithfulness. Nymphetamine rolled his shoulders, starting to feel the beginnings of his gifts draw on his energy. Keeping the dead upright was energy consuming- after so long he would be weakened. He knew the slight tingle was nothing- just a reminder that the gift came with its own limits, which were far from met.  Nymphetamine allowed himself to move forward so he was standing next to his raised corpse. The hollowed eyes eerily emotive, he found the raised corpses more interesting than foul.

He didn’t linger on the skeleton-corpse long as Killdare was asking more questions. Nymphetamine nodded- these were questions that weren’t as annoying to him- as they were questions that lead to forward movement. He smiled as Killdare finished his string of more interesting questions, a small gleam came to his eyes.

I met only Magnus and Mast. Magnus has his wings- and Mast his horns…oh and he was initially a deer. Magnus isn’t happy with the deal Fiasko made, thinks it makes them look week. Mast didn’t seem thrilled about it either, but told me I couldn’t speak to her- due to a raven. The discussion was brief, as I had to leave to come meet you and details were never discussed- so very wasteful of them. They asked for general information, basic- a waste of a spy, they do not know how to use an inside man. If you tell me what to find out, I will. They think I’m here for them- the fools; they show every sign of trusting me. It should be simple to get information back to you once I put myself back in their presence.

Straia had been quiet, reflective, and thoughtful. She was obviously scrutinizing his words. He looked at her, awaiting her reply. His attentions briefly went to Killdare as he walked towards the corpse, perhaps curiosity was getting the best of him? The thought was short lived as Killdare spoke of his queen making prize claims. Nymphetamine tilted his head slightly a small smile on his maw. He was about to speak when Straia broke her pensive thoughts by dismantling the ice cage he was half out of. He watched ravens caw and scatter out to the limbs above and around them their beady eyes oddly focused on him. He flicked his tail at the one starting to land on his shoulder, it didn’t seem phased, and then once the weight was fully on him he saw the beast fade away, though the weight was still there.  His eyes snapped back to the Raven Queen as she spoke- a knowing look coming over him. A trial, with a baby sitter…well it was better than some hole in the ground. As the Queen ended her remarks, the stag nodded, and bowed slightly, showing his fealty to her. His maw was curled into a rather wicked smile. Raven or no raven- this would be a worthy challenge.

Mast will be keeping an eye out for me soon,  I would love to help push Gates right to where we want them. What would he have me share? How will you relay information to me when I am in gates? Will the raven speak for you? I will have to spend a decent bit of time in Chamber- between meeting with Mast- speaking of What do you wish me to find out at the coming meeting?

Nymphetamine took all the information in, listening to Killdare and Straia as they told him about what he could say to Gates, and what he should gather when he meets Mast, how they thought he would be most useful. He remained silent until they finished. He was ready to get this task going now that he had everything he needed.

Nymphetamine

cold was my soul, untold was the pain I faced when you left me: a rose in the rain

[Image: nymphetamine_zpsmlx48otf.gif]

I WILL ALWAYS FIND YOU

Killdare is not sure that he has ever been so involved in a conversation. He supposed that it was something he had somehow managed to skirt out of before. Now that he could not, he was getting his back pay- ten fold. He himself had asked a lot of questions, he must, because without them they would not receive answers.

The young bay has much to say, and first and foremost he indulges them on his gift. Necromancy. The rising of dead things from the ground, foul and smelling. He turns to ask Killdare how he would see fit to use the corpses for the army. "Warship still commands rank here. I would not presume to know more than he on military matters." Though he knew a fair bit, Warship was a seasoned vet, he had seen war and battle much more than Killdare could even dream of. "I would consult with him further on how these creatures could best serve in that sense, but I do not doubt they will come in handy."

It's true, they would be useful, especially when it came to loss of life. Better these walking dead than any member of their Kingdom. That makes him think, member of their kingdom, he turns to Straia then. "Speaking of, do the Gates have any dearly departed?" Now that might throw some of them for a loop. The decayed corpse of a loved one, especially anything recent.

The conversation spills into what the Necromancer had observed while there. Killdare did not hope for much information, but he was pleased with the tidbits that they were given. The Colonel had not met either one of those men, so he could only nod and take mental note of which additions they had received. One little something did bring a smirk to his chin, a deer, how absurd. So this Mast character was a shifter, and a prey animal at that. That was amusing, why wouldn't it be?

He is not surprised that anyone in the Gates was upset about their ex-Queen. That they might want to get the Chamber back for the whole ordeal. Most of what would follow were questions for the Queen. Some though he could still give input on, and so he did. "I for one would like to know about any traited horses there. Their names, their powers." He pauses, this is all information he would take to and discuss with Warship. Together they would go over their options on the military front, and do what they could with what they learned. "Also, I'd like the current status of their magical entity. If you can manage, see where they currently stand with the Deserts, the Amazons, or the Dale." Surely that was enough. It would be a task in itself to ask about such things without raising suspicion.

Now they had to give a little, to get a lot. What would they send word of to the Gates? "Hmmm, Straia what do you think?" He looks to her for answers because when it came down to it she was the boss lady. She would have the final say, he can only offer suggestions on this matter. "He could tell them Gryffen's been gone?" That might give them some sense of false hope. The winged Chamber ghost was the root of most of their misfortune after all, and he wasn't sure this little snippet would hurt for anyone to know. "Tell them their Queen is well, that much I am certain they will inquire about." He stares at the ground in thought, he didn't know what might be useful in this aspect. Best leave it to her majesty.

KILLDARE
    Dragon-Winged Tracker Colonel of the Chamber

i am the violence in the pouring rain

i am a hurricane

She would never hold him here, if he failed. She’d make an example out of him. Death would be too easy, certainly. Too kind. No, she’d send him home half pecked apart by the ravens, singed and frozen and tortured. But for now, he was useful, even if she didn’t trust him. But she didn’t trust all that many, truthfully. Killdare was one of the few, and she trusted him so much that he now stood in line for her throne. If something happened to her, he’d lead the Chamber. A position she would never give to anyone else lightly.

She chuckles slightly at the idea of sending a few corpses to annoy the Gates, though it seems like a waste at the moment. Someone would figure it out, and then the secret would be out. It’s like her heart manipulation. She could just stop Magnus’s heart, but then they’d all know, and the rest of Beqanna would come knocking down the Chamber’s figurative door. Though the thought of ending his second life does amuse her some, because really, he’s their biggest threat. Only because he cares so damn much about his waste of a kingdom.

Though her ears do perk slightly at Killdare’s question. That’d be fun, particularly in the middle of a war. Raise some of their dead and have them fight against the Gates. How terrible. And wonderful.

Nymph keeps going, and she’d raise an eyebrow at him if she could. “I don’t think I’d call it commendable. Memorable perhaps, and foolish. But you seem useful, at least, and I won’t turn away useful.” Though of course, if he stops being useful, she’ll go back to her default plan and let the ravens play. They were as dark and deadly as she; more so really, because they did all her dirty work. Straia’s hands were always immaculate. Her soul? Not so much.

“They are weak,” she adds, rolling her eyes at the idea that they aren’t. There’s no way in hell another kingdom could march in here and simply steal Straia, let alone destroy more than a few trees. No one would run screaming in the other direction here. They’d throw themselves into the fight and defend their home to the death. So yes, the Gates was weak. Though Magnus, to his credit, was trying to change that.

She simply nods when Killdare suggests information to gather. There’s a reason he’s Lord now. He’s smarter than he gives himself credit for, and she’s happy to let him take the lead. His questions are good ones, after all. Instead, she simply adds, “Be careful not to raise suspicions.” If the blood bay, who is prone to talking, goes and asks a thousand questions, it won’t take even the Gates long to figure it out. But over time, the information could be handy. Her ravens can’t learn everything, after all.

“Yes, I’m sure they will terribly pleased to hear that Gryffen has disappeared. You can tell them our alliance with the Valley still stands under Gallows and Fennick. No talk of our preparations of war though, understood?” Their alliance with the Valley wasn’t particularly secret, though Gallows and Fennick were new enough to the throne that it could be questioned. “And Fiasko and her child are whole and well and taken care of. Not that they will believe it, but she is.” Straia keeps a careful eye on that. She’d already stolen a mare to essentially use as a pawn, and Gryffen went too far with the rape. If nothing else, Straia would see that no more harm befall the mare.

straia

the raven queen of the chamber

sorry this is so terribly delayed - we can end it here if you want since I know nymph is chatting to mast at this point, and we can pick up after that Smile

Use of mild power playing is allowed; no injuries without permission

That works! I'll PM you some thoughts... cause my muse for this plot have faded/changed a bit.