• Logout
  • Beqanna

COTY

Assailant -- Year 226

QOTY

"But the dream, the echo, slips from him as quickly as he had found it and as consciousness comes to him (a slap and not the gentle waves of oceanic tides), it dissolves entirely. His muscles relax as the cold claims him again, as the numbness sets in, and when his grey eyes open, there’s nothing but the faint after burn of a dream often trod and never remembered." --Brigade, written by Laura

the wolves knew a lion was among them; rhonan, anastasia

she slept with wolves without fear

She’s aware of the creature’s presence of course.  

Rhynn has spread her little shadow mice throughout the kingdom, keeping an eye on the daily lives on the other inhabitants of the Valley.  Most of the time they bring nothing of interest back to her - meetings between diplomats, liaisons between the king and his lover, spats between kingdom members … little things, really.  But when they had come to her, speaking of a ‘shadow creature,’ it had immediately attracted her attention.

She’s kept her distance up ‘til though, content to watch Rhonan introduce the shadow creature to the kingdom.  The thing (mare? can you have a gender if you are made entirely of shadows?) intrigues her.  It is like her and Rhonan, and yet not like them.  It too can bend the shadows to its will, and yet, it is more …

It does not simply become one with the shadows as she and Rhonan can, it is the shadows.  A creature of more darkness and power than she could ever hope to be.  How had such a thing ever come to be?

She seeks them out in early evening, when the shadows are lengthening and the Valley becomes their own special playground.  She slips out of a shadow, a wide smile just visible in the growing darkness.  She wonders if the creature will be able to detect, at first glance, what she is.  What they all share.  “Well hello there.  Rhonan, are you going to introduce me to your new friend?”

for the wolves knew a lion was among them

rhynn

Uuugh what a terrible post.

I'll start a separate one for the shadow pony party in the meadow. Smile

It has been weeks since Rhonan had brought Anastasia back to his—their—home, and she had learned to appreciate the nooks and crannies he had shown her where darkness erupted. She had learned the path of the kingdom’s border and was becoming adept at avoiding the long, trailing fence of fire; something that she still did not appreciate but had learned she could live with. Mostly, she spent her days with Rhonan, who was an interesting, if not mostly quiet, companion. She had learned to like the way he wielded his power over the shadows—always asking, never telling.

The shadows respected him, and so she did too.

But she is not surprised when their duo is splintered by the arrival of the mare. She simply lifts her dark head, bright yellow eyes peering out toward the mare who walks toward them. Anastasia frowns, feeling that familiar pull in her belly that signaled the arrival of another shadow creature—someone with an affinity to the darkness that was both like and unlike herself. She, however, does not like that Rhynn spoke to Rhonan and not to her; she does not like that the conversation acknowledged but ignored her.

So she takes a step forward, lips peeling back from the inky, sharpness of her teeth. “Ana-sta-stia can intro-duce her-self,” she growls in her broken tongue, stumbling over the larger words. Her ears flatten beneath the smoke of her forelock, and she takes another step, partially in front of Rhonan although she had no instinct to protect the stallion. Anyone worthwhile would be able to protect themselves, and she had no interest in helping someone who was weak. “May-be intro-duce your-self, hm?” she then falls silent, letting the electricity between them pulse in the air.

like the moon, we borrow our light
    {I am nothing but a shadow in the night}

my shadow tilts its head at me,

spirits in the dark are waiting.

He has never really thought of Ana as more or less than he and Rhynn. He’s always simply thought of her as slightly different, made of shadows where he and Rhynn simply embraced them. No, what he’s always seen is the potential they have together, the trio of them (though mostly he thinks of Ana, a fact he will not admit to anyone). Imagine - casting half the world into darkness, popping portals up beneath their enemies feet, sending a million spies out to anywhere and everywhere.

He isn’t sure if he thirsts for desctruction or not. But he knows that they are capable of it. That the three of them bring something to the Valley, to each other, that may quite unlike anything before and anything after. If you exclude the magicians, of course. They don’t really count.

The idea of it all excites him, just a bit. It’s more than he can say of most anything else.

Rhynn find them, addressing him as if he actually has manners or has ever introduced anyone in his life. He can’t help but laugh slightly. Ana is quick to introduce herself anyway, and Rhonan grins slightly at the spitfire shadow mare. They both know that it’s entirely possible Rhonan could control her, since he can control the very substance she’s made of. But he loves that he’d never dream of messing with her.

Even he’s not stupid enough to face those consequences.

He’s not entirely sure he wants to get involved at this point, as Ana steps in front of him. He’s got back enough social graces as it is, and getting between two very capable women seemed like the dumbest idea anyone could have. So he hangs back, though he’s still grinning just slightly.

He does add though, because he suspects it will help soften Ana slightly, “This is my teacher. She taught me how to embrace the shadows.” Because it is true, and the only reason Ana hasn’t bitten his head off is because he learned how to ask, not demand, of the shadows.

rhonan.

she slept with wolves without fear

The shadow creature is an intriguing beast - a thing of darkness and raw instinct. Rhynn smiles as the thing (girl?) snarls at her, slightly amused by the response. But there’s no use in being rude, especially to such a marvellous creature. Rhynn bows her head apologetically. “My apologies. I am Rhynn. And I am very pleased to meet you Anastasia.”

Her amusement grows as shadow beast steps in front of Rhonan, as if preparing herself for a stand off. As if Anastasia would ever be at risk from her.

Rhonan offers an explanation, but Rhynn decides to elaborate, pulling out the trick she’d used to introduce her ability to Rhonan in the first place. She draws the shadows into herself, making her tiny body appear to sprout, growing larger and larger until she is taller than both Rhonan and Anastasia. Her grin splits into awful, toothed smile. Being what she is, Anastasia should easily recognize the dense shadows swirling at her pseudo-body’s surface.

She only holds the shape for a moment, letting it dissolve quickly so that Anastasia does not take it as a hostile move. As quickly as it had appeared, her large frame disappears, to be replaced by her normal, tiny self. “It is always a pleasure to meet another creature of the shadows.”

Then she falls silent, waiting patiently for the creature’s response. She keeps her power in her grasp, just in case.

for the wolves knew a lion was among them

rhynn

Bah, I am sorry for the wait, and sorry for such crappiness. Sad